Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner??

+5
Imelda HL
Barbara101
NormM
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 14]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 8 Corncrab7

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 8 Corncrab5

I had some leftover crabcake mix from when I made crabcakes the other day. I added corn.Fried them. Slice of heirloom tomato. Dab of honey mustard.

Corn Crab cakes .I also ate all 7 of them.. cheers

Yeah! But They're Little!
Low Calories too....  Wink 

Gosh, I remember the Crab Cakes in Baltimore when we would visit my Brother.

Niagara Visitor

Frozen pea soup tonight, really good, lots of meat in it. I had two house showings back to back tonight, no time to cook, but there were things in the freezer!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:Frozen pea soup tonight, really good, lots of meat in it.  I had two house showings back to back tonight, no time to cook, but there were things in the freezer!

Hey Lore, what kind of sticks do you use as a hamdle on your frozen pea soup. The flat ones?
That sounds like a great Idea.

My mom used to make chicken soup and freeze it individually with those tupperware popcicle moulds.
She gave them to Dad for a snack when he had to lose 90 lbs.  AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 8 2876911673 

NormM

NormM

Tonight I tried a couple new recipes. I don't know why it's called BBQ shrimp. It isn't BBQed or even grilled. It's cooked in a saucepan and then stuck in the oven for a few minutes. I tried a new baked potato topping: Mascarpone, blue cheese, butter and chives. I don't think I'll try it again. We also had Korean spinach and strawberries and pound cake.

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 8 DSCN1662_zps137d43ae

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

180AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 8 Empty Re: AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:28 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Tonight I tried a couple new recipes.  I don't know why it's called BBQ shrimp. It isn't BBQed or even grilled.  It's cooked in a saucepan and then stuck in the oven for a few minutes.   I tried a new baked potato topping:  Mascarpone, blue cheese, butter and chives.  I don't think I'll try it again.  We also had Korean spinach and strawberries and pound cake.

Looks great even if they were Not BBQ'd Norm.
Yeah! The potato with the normal Butter sounds better to me.

BTW.... Who the Heck is that 58 year old Lookin Guy in your Avatar??
Looks Great! God Bless!!!

181AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 8 Empty Re: AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:34 pm

NormM

NormM

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
NormM wrote:Tonight I tried a couple new recipes.  I don't know why it's called BBQ shrimp. It isn't BBQed or even grilled.  It's cooked in a saucepan and then stuck in the oven for a few minutes.   I tried a new baked potato topping:  Mascarpone, blue cheese, butter and chives.  I don't think I'll try it again.  We also had Korean spinach and strawberries and pound cake.

That's the birthday cake Cassie made for me in the shape of a cookbook. Everything on the plate was made of edible fondant, even the knife and spoon.

182AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 8 Empty Re: AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:43 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

That's the birthday cake Cassie made for me in the shape of a cookbook.  Everything on the plate was made of edible fondant, even the knife and spoon.

Yep! I remember that recently! It was a Great cake. Cassie did a great job!
I'll never forget the time My Mom made a cake for the church Picnic Bake sale.
She made the cake to look exactly like the church. The steeple / Bell Tower, with the bell and all.
I can remember brother and Me tormenting her by snickering and acting like two $ _ it Heads.

She was so up tight, we didn't dare even look at her. Poor dad!
He was to the point where he wished he could have bought the cake, and
for spite, punch the livin heck out of it!

All went well, and after it was all over, Mom said,"Never Again!"

I remember she used to make those Doll Cakes. They were a big thing in the 60's. Poor dad. He had to do the shopping, and had to buy the dolls at the toy department at Woolworths. They thought he played with dolls! hahahahaha pale 

Niagara Visitor

What is Korean Spinach? Yes, that massive topping for a potato is a bit much! You wouldn't be able to taste the spud any more. Now, I like just a little butter and salt.

184AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 8 Empty Re: AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:55 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm, I always thought that 'Killer Shrimp' recipe we all like so much was a variation on NOLA bbq shrimp. I think anything cooked in a bunch of butter and spices can be called anything they want ~ it's SO good on my tongue!

I like my baked potatoes with butter, s&p and a bit of chive sour cream. I also like to bake the little ones and then smush 'em, drizzle with some butter and pop back into the hot oven or CI pan to crisp up. The irregular edges and bits get nice and crispy, the best part being the crispy skin (well that's just my opinion....).

185AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 8 Empty Re: AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:16 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

That killer shrimp recipe is lost. I had it on the computer that I had baked up with the cable / internet provider, and then they chucked the backup vault as they called it.
That's why I do my own backups on a disc now.

If anyone has the LA Killer shrimp handy, I surely would appreciate it.

186AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 8 Empty Re: AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:50 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Odd man out here ..I like blu cheese on baked potato.A good cheddar too with bacon then big spoonful of sour cream...  AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 8 3267860543 

Hummm I have a head of cauliflower. I will be making it all the way..

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:That killer shrimp recipe is lost. I had it on the computer that I had baked up with the cable / internet provider, and then they chucked the backup vault as they called it.
That's why I do my own backups on a disc now.

If anyone has the LA Killer shrimp handy, I surely would appreciate it.

Jimmy - your new avatar is creepin' me out! Where did you get that one??? lol

Jimmy - I can't find that Louisiana Killer BBQ recipe to save my soul...don't know how I could have miss-labeled it or deleted it.  I do have another one I've made and like really well from a site called "deepsouthdish.com" you could look up or pm me and I'll copy mine for you.

Wait! WAIT!!! I found it. Copy it over so you can find it...AND print it out and stick it in the drawer with all the rest of the recipes Tina's savin'.....

Louisiana Killer Shrimp
Recipe from: NancyMD cooking.com

Servings: 4 to 6

2 tablespoons rosemary
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon black pepper
5 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1 teaspoon celery seeds
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 quarts chicken broth
3 ounces tomato paste
½ cup butter

1 ½ pounds shrimp, peeled, tails on
1 loaf French bread, toasted

Crunch up the rosemary and thyme using fingers. Place all ingredients, except shrimp and french bread, in a large pot. Simmer this mixture for 2 ½ hours.

Five minutes before serving add shrimp and cook about 3 to 4 minutes or until shrimp is done. Serve shrimp with broth and toasted French bread for sopping the broth.

BTW - it's been forever since thesweetestpea has been here.  Last May.  Gosh, but I hope she and Larry are ok.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

THANK YOU BETH!!

Best part of the recipe is that loaf of bread for soppin up the juices. bounce 

Last edited by UNCLE JIMMY on Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Barbara101

Barbara101

Think that recipe came from Nancy in MD.I did not make it so IDK the recipe...

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:THANK YOU BETH!!

You're very welcome.

Check out the recipe at deepsouthdish.com, too.  I really like her recipe a lot, too.  It doesn't have the large amount of chicken stock...is spicier.

now....back to your new creepy avatar....yer killin' me here!  Everytime I look at it I see one of those evil clowns with a chainsaw....YIKES!   affraid affraid affraid

NormM

NormM

Korean SPINACH You can do this same recipe with blanched bean sprouts. 2 servings
10 oz. spinach
1 T. Sesame oil
2 T Soy sauce
1 T scallion, minced
2 tsp Sugar
1 tsp vinegar (optional)
1 1/2 tsp sesame salt
salt & red pepper (optional)

Blanch spinach in boiling water ( I just wilt it in a skillet with the water from rinsing it) until bright green, about 2 minutes. Drain, cool, squeeze out excess water, toss with the rest of the ingredients.

NormM

NormM

Beth, I like the Killer Shrimp is better than this BBQ shrimp, but even better if the shells are cooked with the liquid for at least an hour, then strained out.

bethk

bethk
Admin

So it's a cold spinach salad? Sounds good to me.

I remember a long time ago my brother made a stir fried bean sprout side dish. I'm thinking it was just some quickly heated bean sprouts with dried chili flakes and a splash of rice vinegar. .....maybe a sprinkle of sugar, maybe some chili oil.....I'm not sure. But it was really tasty.

The funny part was IF you went for a second serving it was super hot from the allowed time of the chili flakes that were allowed to impart the heat throughout the sprouts. As I remember, the bean sprouts were still almost crispy from quick cooking but coated in a very spicy 'sauce'.

I've got to give that one a try one of these days.....

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Beth, I like the Killer Shrimp is better than this BBQ shrimp, but even better if the shells are cooked with the liquid for at least an hour, then strained out.

Yeah, Norm...the shells and the heads REALLY give great flavor to the liquid.

I can't do the 'suck the head' with the shrimp or crawfish but I do like to use the whole thing to add great seafood flavor to a dish.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:THANK YOU BETH!!

You're very welcome.

Check out the recipe at deepsouthdish.com, too.  I really like her recipe a lot, too.  It doesn't have the large amount of chicken stock...is spicier.

now....back to your new creepy avatar....yer killin' me here!  Everytime I look at it I see one of those evil clowns with a chainsaw....YIKES!   affraid affraid affraid

The avatar is me all the way...

Look Like a dummy
Think like a dummy
Cook like a dummy
Act like a dummy

And to top it off.... I have come to a final conclusion, I AM A JINX!!!

This morning, Tina had Uncle Gabes cheerio's container.
I said to Tina, "Wow! What a nice strong storage container!" "It must be made of Lexan ....good and tough, and won't break, Huh?"

She said,"Yeah! I wished I bought more of them!"
I said,"They would be great for spaghetti sauce, because you know how those cheap Zip Lock ones Break so easily if they are bumped!"
10 seconds later....Tina opens the refrigerator to get the Soy Milk for Gabes Cereal, and CRASH* ....one of the Zip Lock containers with sauce and meatballs, fell on the bottom of the fridge, and busted. Sauce all over...on the gaskets...floor in the air intake grill, and all over Tina's New Jeans!"

She looked at me...and stared, and said Nothing.

I told her,"What else would you like me to have break? hahahahaha

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy....just go to your chair and sit quietly.

It will be bedtime soon enough.

Do not speak.

Do not move.

Do not even blink your eyes.

Just sit and try to blend in with the wall.....

lol

Barbara101

Barbara101

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 8 754e0efdde8710fb75d96697d4faad1e

Cauliflower all the way. I ate a bit then decided it needed more bacon, cheese & sour cream lol

Barbara101

Barbara101

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 8 Orangechicken

Barbara101

Barbara101

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 8 Sexychicken3

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 8 Sexychicken

Last edited by Barbara101 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, you could suggest you're substituting cauliflower for potato....but I have it's a feeling you just FELT like having roasted cauliflower with all the toppings because you like it. Looks good to me.

Tonight I was hungry for something I haven't fixed in months. I got meatloaf in my head a while ago and nothing was going to stop me from having it.

Meatloaf with ketchup/brown sugar/spice glaze, roasted potatoes w/a bit of onion, steamed asparagus and a nice, fresh bakery dinner roll.

AUGUST 2014, What's Cooking for Dinner?? - Page 8 081914

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum