Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JULY 27. Weather Report.

+3
JanaAZ
bethk
Barbara101
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1JULY 27. Weather Report. Empty JULY 27. Weather Report. Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:44 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY 27. Weather Report. 10525971_845513055460124_8881429713265613558_n

And this is why my life is indoors......92` at 11:30 pm. No 

2JULY 27. Weather Report. Empty Re: JULY 27. Weather Report. Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Gee, Barb, you should have come to Indy with me….temps in the 70's, low 80's.

Today it's a bit warmer and more humid, but still lovely. Well, not really lovely ~ too much cloud cover and predicted showers.

But I can be outside without dropping over!

Oh, and for supper, I'll be roasting a whole chicken and some root vegetables. Imagine that ~ I'll be turning on two ovens!

3JULY 27. Weather Report. Empty Re: JULY 27. Weather Report. Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:21 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

my DS said it is 74` in Del . I feel like I waste so much living ,, stuck in my house.I walked out to the mailbox yesterday & broke out in a sweat.It is not but a few steps.My windows are wet on the outside from the humidity.

JULY 27. Weather Report. 387840482 

4JULY 27. Weather Report. Empty Re: JULY 27. Weather Report. Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:52 pm

JanaAZ

Yup. The day my granddaughter came, it was 117. Hot, hot, hot. And last night we had a monsoon storm which was loud, but when I woke up, I saw all kinds of trees pulled right out of the ground, huge trees snapped, roofs pulled away, etc. Thank goodness our house was ok. There was a microburst about 2 miles away. If it hit us, we wouldn't be selling our house anytime soon.

The weather is crazy this year.

5JULY 27. Weather Report. Empty Re: JULY 27. Weather Report. Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:45 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I just saw that giant dust storm that hit AZ. What is it called? Something like a haboob or habib. Scary stuff. looks like the dust storms that hit OK back in the 30's. Sometimes people choked to death on the dust. Do they ruin the paint on your car if you get stuck in one?

6JULY 27. Weather Report. Empty Re: JULY 27. Weather Report. Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:53 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Some parts of L.A. got hit with the monsoon leftovers today. 14 people got struck by lightning on Venice Beach. One 20 year old died. It is really rare for anyone to get struck out here. A golfer on Catalina Island also got struck while he was playing golf. People said there was a blinding flash of light and suddenly people on the boardwalk and some people playing volleyball, just keeled over. That must have been something to see.

7JULY 27. Weather Report. Empty Re: JULY 27. Weather Report. Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:33 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Well, talk about climate change!!!!!

I live near the beach, just outside of Boston, (10 miles NE)

We just had out SECOND TORNADO Warning/Watch within 2 weeks!!!!  affraid 

What is going on with this weather!!!!!

The first one was really a close call. They were telling us to take shelter (also with this one)
During the first one a funnel cloud was seen just a couple of miles away from where I live!!
Kind of scary!

I live in an apartment building! Where in heck is the lower, inner wall, bottom of building, away from doors? Especially being on the second floor.
I had to think quick!
Decided on the cats Bathroom (previously my Dad's BR)
Artie was hiding under the bed! Had to get broom to chase him out; then he ran into other room to hide. I was closing doors behind me so I could get him into his carrier.
Finally I was successful. He was screaming! Put him in the BR, Grabbed my cell phone, TV on Loud, grabbed a quilt, water bottle, closed BR door and waited it out!!
Jeesh!!!
My neighbor got a phone call from her niece to hide in the closet!!!!

And today there was another warning/watch. This time there was evidence on the radar of a tornado!!!!

Tornados were something we never had to worry about! Hurricanes, Northeasters, yes---tornadoes no! Two within 2 weeks is unheard of!!!
What is going on??
Now the sun is out and shining--the clouds over the beach are bright and sunny but there is a strong demarcation line of dark grey!!!
weird and strange..

8JULY 27. Weather Report. Empty Re: JULY 27. Weather Report. Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:14 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

You know what works good at getting a cat out from under a bed is a can of that spray air for electronics. They hate it and it won't hurt them. Gets them out every time.
From time to time we get very small tornados out here. Sometimes you can see a waterspout over the ocean and you will hear about a roof being torn off or windows at a car dealership getting blown out. A few years back we were having some rain, it was at night, when we heard something that sounded like a freight train passing over the house. We went outside and found my storage shed blown apart with my kitchen appliances strewn all over the place. The back fence was blown down and a lot of shingles were on the ground. No mention in the paper or news but it must have been a mini that came through.

9JULY 27. Weather Report. Empty Re: JULY 27. Weather Report. Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:15 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

YIKES!!
Now on the news brief they say that there was a Tornado in MY CITY!

affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid 

10JULY 27. Weather Report. Empty Re: JULY 27. Weather Report. Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:39 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

OMG Downtown Revere, MA ---is a war zone!!!!!!!!!
There was a tornado!!
City Hall must have been hit because I got a reverse emergency 911 call from the mayor saying it was closed indefinitely!!
Trees down, lines down, houses crashed, cars demolished, The Boston News stations are here..
That was in the area where I used to live!!!!
Power down in that area! Helicopters are overhead---wow, It hit the center of the city!!!!!
This is really horrible!
I can honestly say that this is the worst thing I have seen happen to this city since the Blizzard of 78!!!!
scary..
Yes, I am venting because I have no one else here to talk to except Artie and he is still hiding!!!

Predicting more storms this afternoon

Possible epicenter is only 3 miles from where I live!!

11JULY 27. Weather Report. Empty Re: JULY 27. Weather Report. Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:14 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Wow! ....

Wild Wild weather for sure... bugs and cookingirl.

Must be the water temperatures that start the tornado activity.
We live in the Musconetcong Valley surrounded by higher areas' of warm air aloft.
With the generally cooler air in the valley, it sometimes gets a downdraft of wind blown warm air that mixes with the lower lying cool air, and can cause horrific lightening and wind swirls.
It usually happens so quick, and then the area is like in a vacuum chamber with nice crisp fresh air for a while.

Golly Gee... I'm glad everyone came out ok.

12JULY 27. Weather Report. Empty Re: JULY 27. Weather Report. Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:43 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Yes, thank you Jimmy. It was officially an F2 Tornado. I walked the 2 mile area it hit! War Zone!
WoW....need a new city hall, high school, 300 year old trees were uprooted, cracked in half, roofs ripped off...incredible. I took about 50 pictures of the area.
Thank God, no one was seriously injured!! A major Miracle!
My church is intact, but all the streets next to it had major damage. The 300 year old Tree stood on the corner of the Church's property, adjacent to a highway. It was cracked in half, falling onto the highway and not the church property......
The major funeral home was not damaged, it's huge flagpole still flying Old Glory. Right next to the funeral home is a street with a park---it was devastated....
The sound I heard, it sounded like a bomb went off, was the tornado. It looked like we were in the 'eye' of a hurricane.
I have a picture which someone took of the tornado over the beach....that is much too close for comfort....like a mile away from me.......
Broadway, in Revere reminded me of the Blizzard of 78...
power lines down, windows broken, streets blocked off, the Salvation Army put up a command post, people walking down the middle of main roads....only emergency vehicles allowed

please bear with me if I repeat myself. They started keeping records of tornados in 1950..this was the first one they recorded in this county!!!!!!

now to try to get some rest......

13JULY 27. Weather Report. Empty Re: JULY 27. Weather Report. Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:44 am

JanaAZ

Bugster2 wrote:I just saw that giant dust storm that hit AZ. What is it called? Something like a haboob or habib. Scary stuff. looks like the dust storms that hit OK back in the 30's. Sometimes people choked to death on the dust. Do they ruin the paint on your car if you get stuck in one?

They are called haboobs. They are scary, but there are a lot of news stories on what to do in a dust storm. The good thing about them is they usually are followed by rain. Unfortunately we had a macroburst about 2 miles from my house yesterday. Yikes...trees uprooted, roofs blown off, downed power lines. Scary. We were lucky. We only had a lot of stuff blown around, but right outside my neighborhood, it's a mess.

14JULY 27. Weather Report. Empty Re: JULY 27. Weather Report. Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:29 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I am wondering why these storms have not been on the news?

Maybe it's on different tv stations. I have to check.

OOooo! maybe the weather channel....?

15JULY 27. Weather Report. Empty Re: JULY 27. Weather Report. Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:35 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Quiet times here in Indy….but COOL. I may have to put on a sweater. Geesh! This is JULY, not October.

Andrea has a lovely pool but we haven't been able to get into it because it's about 60 degrees! (well, probably warmer than that, but feels like 60 when you put your toes in…..)

16JULY 27. Weather Report. Empty Re: JULY 27. Weather Report. Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:38 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

it has cooled down here for today & maybe tomorrow. 68`. but it is a tease. It will be up to 90` later.

17JULY 27. Weather Report. Empty Re: JULY 27. Weather Report. Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:04 am

jetfan27

jetfan27

In the 60's now and won't get higher than 78 today. We are going to the beach. We earned a day off from fixing up the house.

18JULY 27. Weather Report. Empty Re: JULY 27. Weather Report. Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:44 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Cooled over night. 50's and the 70's all week.
today it's like a fall day out there.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum