Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What is for Dinner this JULY.

+6
jetfan27
Imelda HL
cookingirl
bethk
NormM
Barbara101
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 13]

276What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 Empty Re: What is for Dinner this JULY. Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:37 pm

Niagara Visitor

That looks sooo pretty and so delicious. I have some yellow pepper and oinion in the pan, going to add some scallops in a couple of minutes. I have to learn to post photos. Soon.

277What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 Empty Re: What is for Dinner this JULY. Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:43 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Thank you Niagara..

278What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 Empty Re: What is for Dinner this JULY. Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Chinese carryout per request tonight.

Mom & Dad get home tomorrow and we have a whole chicken to roast with a bunch of vegetables. Should be good for all of us.

279What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 Empty Re: What is for Dinner this JULY. Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:31 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

zucchini again, "zuchgheti".. and Dirk loves it  cheers 

What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 44-2

280What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 Empty Re: What is for Dinner this JULY. Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:01 pm

NormM

NormM

We had okra, green beans, eggplant and steak.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

281What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 Empty Re: What is for Dinner this JULY. Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:25 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:zucchini again, "zuchgheti".. and Dirk loves it  cheers 

that just means Dirk has good taste! And it's good for him….an added bonus.

I was amazed when I made it for Dane and HE liked it, too. That's pretty amazing if you ask me.

Looks great.

282What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 Empty Re: What is for Dinner this JULY. Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:55 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 44-2

Yay! .... Imelda is Back...

Missed you here... Good to have you back.

283What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 Empty Re: What is for Dinner this JULY. Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:05 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:

that just means Dirk has good taste!  And it's good for him….an added bonus.

I was amazed when I made it for Dane and HE liked it, too.  That's pretty amazing if you ask me.

Looks great.

thank you Beth.. he likes almost all kind of veggies,, well except baby corn  Rolling Eyes 

I've been using the julienne peeler a lot.. zucchini and carrots then run them in microwave for 2 to 3 minutes..

284What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 Empty Re: What is for Dinner this JULY. Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:07 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

Yay! .... Imelda is Back...

Missed you here... Good to have you back.

What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 3602300868  Jimmy.. I'll try to get on here more often

285What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 Empty Re: What is for Dinner this JULY. Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:11 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Barbara101 wrote:What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 Antipastosalad

antipasto salad.I will most likely be looking for something eat ,in a hour..

looks good.. your food pictures are really good.. you should enter them for contests.. anyway.. I did not win the photo contest the other day.. somebody entered a much better photo and won it..

what is antipasto?

286What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 Empty Re: What is for Dinner this JULY. Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today, for some reason, was a Ho- Hum Day!

Breakfast for me was (0)

Lunch was ......(0)

Supper was heavy Spaghetti ( linguini ) with Jarred Alfredo sauce that was way too thick. Like pudding, and smelled like sour baby spit-up!
I know it's a cheese sauce, but the enzymes must have been turning it sour.

287What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 Empty Re: What is for Dinner this JULY. Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:23 pm

Niagara Visitor

That salad looks sooooo good. I haven't been making great salads lately. Hubby and I used to have a good one pretty well every day. It's not much fun making one for myself!

288What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 Empty Re: What is for Dinner this JULY. Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:39 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

what is antipasto?

It is a appetizer. I like to use olives but did not have any..I had some cooked green beans I needed to use.

289What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 Empty Re: What is for Dinner this JULY. Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:43 pm

Niagara Visitor

I think it actually means "before pasta" Anyone speak Italian here to say yes or no?

290What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 Empty Re: What is for Dinner this JULY. Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:56 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:I think it actually means "before pasta"  Anyone speak Italian here to say yes or no?

Lore... yes! you are right.

It is like the start of the regular meal just like an appetizer.

My Family coming from the region of Calabria, and in a small town of Nicastro and from the area of Catanzaro in Italy had a cold (always cold ) antipasto generally on Sunday, or a Holiday. That would be a full blown multi food platter.

We would have olives .... anchiovies ... sopressata .... pepperoni... grapes ....pepperoncini,

cheese slices ( roughly cut ) , peppers (hot ) ....and sometimes orange wedges.

Regular days, sometimes we would have just grapes or apple wedges if they were available. Not Every Day.... it was $$$$ too costly for us.

The most benefit of the antipasto, was the grapes. We HAD TO eat some grapes as per Moms Orders. The grapes provide the pectins and enzymes to help digest the food eaten. Even after the big meal and dessert. Grapes alone, were set out on the table, or in the parlor on the coffee table, so that again, we would eat more pectins.

It brings back memories.... of the huge Lazy Susan, with the sectional glass insert dividers, and all loaded with the antipasto. Ummmm!!

I love that, but we don't make it now, because the kids don't like it, and neither does Tina. I am not going to layer it out, and be the only one that will eat from it.

Oooops! Forgot! ... There was always bread served with it. Mom would cut the bread thinly so that we would not fill up on bread.

Generally we ate very simple. On Sunday's though, it was a full blown massive meal that mom would cook.

291What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 Empty Re: What is for Dinner this JULY. Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:46 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I am not going to layer it out, and be the only one that will eat from it.

I am.. lol As much as you snack Jimmy I would think this is right up your alley.Just me eating it.
If I have guests then I go the big tray & add all the other yummy stuff.

Niagara I eat salads all the time.It is just me too.

292What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 Empty Re: What is for Dinner this JULY. Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:42 am

Niagara Visitor

Both Dieter and I could have happily eaten our way through Italy. He, not so much for the pasta, but the antipasta! That is one of the favourite ways we would have our Friday night dinners. A little of this, a little of that, in the end a whole bunch of yummy things, of course all washed down with some great Niagara Wine. I know that a few times I thought that preparing it all was more work than cooking a meal!

Sharing dinnertime as we did for 50+ years is the thing that so far I have missed the most. I don't understand couples who don't sit together to have dinners. The only time we did not is when either one or the other was literally out of town. But, different strokes for different folks, right?

293What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 Empty Re: What is for Dinner this JULY. Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:04 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes, NH, I also do not understand others who do not share meals but help themselves to whatever is available when they get hungry.

When our girls were young we ate together every evening. It was always a time to share not only the food but also about our day.

Every once in a while now, with just the two of us, meals may be smaller or, as you enjoy, just a nice assortment of what we would have considered snacks in years gone by. But a plate of tomato bruchetta, some thinly sliced sausages (love, love, LOVE sopprasata), maybe some olives and bits of cheese (for Dane)….well, that's the meal.

Dane has also surprised me in his acceptance of dinner salads….use to be we HAD to have meat, a starch (most usually potato), two vegetables and a salad on the side. Now he will be satisfied with a nice big salad with maybe chicken or steak or tuna, whatever vegetables I happen to add and my personal "love it", CRUNCHIES….LaChoy Rice Noodles. lol

294What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 Empty Re: What is for Dinner this JULY. Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:44 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Same thing here too, Beth and NV...

Even my growing up, dinner was on the table early...4:30 when the work day was over, and we all sat together. Usually it was mom and dad talking about their hap hazard day at work; and etc.

We kids, usually just jerked around laughing or snickering at dad or mom when the would say little cuss words that we were not allowed to say. In the house that is! That is why we giggled.

Usually one of us would wind up getting a spoon across the lips from mom, or get sent upstairs to get ready for bed early.
You didn't like what was to eat for supper.... you were left hungry unless you decided to eat it.
That was usually not the case. We generally ate everything; unless we found a piece of fat or grizzle. Brother hated green veggies and would put on the gagging act so mom would say, "Ok, you don't have to eat it.

Mom and dad worked, so lunch was usually a bologna or my favorite (Pickle Pimento Loaf) sandwich.

A grilled cheese sandwich was a favorite too. If we were hungry, a lot of times we would go down to grams house 2 blocks away, and scrounge food from her. She would make us whatever we wanted; as long as she had it to make. hahahahaha

Sunday, was dinner early, at 12:00. We would eat, all help clean up, and do the dishes, and then in the afternoon, sit in the parlor and play or read, or go visiting one of the aunts or friends of moms  or dads. We would get home at around 7, and get washed and ready for school the next day.
Watch Ed Sullivan ( only if we were good boys during the day ) at 9:00 and then it was off to bed.
What was really weird, was, I was 4 years older, so Brother had to get to bed 2 hours earlier than me. Naturally he would stomp going up the stairs, and saying (mumbling ) Boy Jimmys Lucky; he can stay up late..boo hoo ) If I laughed or snickered or teased him, I would be in bed early too!
Mom didn't fool around with B/S from us kids!! hahahaha

295What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 Empty Re: What is for Dinner this JULY. Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:59 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 Peachcrostini4

Grilled peach Crostini.

296What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 Empty Re: What is for Dinner this JULY. Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:57 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Eye Round Roast Beef.... cooked in the Big George Foreman electric rotisserie.

Sliced thin on the meat slicer,,,,and the kids came over.

Had corn on cob, and mashed taters and gravy.

DIL made a salad. .........I really enjoyed the beef, and it was tender.

Everyone enjoyed the meal, and no complaints. Oh! Except Uncle Gabe. He complained the beef was cold. .... He didn't understand, if you take 25 minutes to eat and wipe your face 12 times in between each chew, anybody's roast beef is gonna be cooled off.
Actually all we had to do is nuke it for 15 seconds. Then he would complain it's too hot.

He forgot how and what to eat, the day his wife died. She babied him terribly!

297What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 Empty Re: What is for Dinner this JULY. Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:14 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made a whole roasted chicken, roasted root vegetables (carrots, parsnips, onions & radishes), a pan of roasted potatoes and a tossed salad. Welcome home Mom & Dad!!!

It's strange cooking in someone else's kitchen….the 3 1/2 lb. chicken went into the convection oven at 475 (automatically dropped to 450 degrees) and was on a broiler pan rack, no sides, for 1 1/2 hours. It was barely brown and after it had rested & I carved it into pieces, needed to go back into the oven to get cooked completely around the joints. I thought by using the convection oven it would come out golden brown and crispy and, certainly, after 1-1/2 hours at 450 it should have been completely done. I had even had the chicken out on the countertop after washing it off for a good 30 minutes to let it come to temp and allow the seasonings to work their magic…..

Andrea has 2 wall ovens ~ 1 convection & 1 regular. The roasted vegetables & potatoes in the regular electric oven were cooked just as I expected. I don't understand why the convection oven didn't do a better job of browning / baking. Hmmmm, gotta figure this out.

Well, it wasn't any big deal. I just don't understand why there's such a difference in her ovens.

298What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 Empty Re: What is for Dinner this JULY. Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:00 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

gooey lasagna with Italian sausage

What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 64-1

What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 63-1

I baked some Kaiser rolls

jalapeno and cheese

What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 60-4

plain Kaiser roll

What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 61-2

and some beauties.. pineapple tarts.. very popular cookies in Indonesia

What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 62-3

299What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 Empty Re: What is for Dinner this JULY. Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:50 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It all lookcs so good Imelda.
The kaiser rolls look awesome. Plenty to eat; that's for sure.

300What is for Dinner this JULY. - Page 12 Empty Re: What is for Dinner this JULY. Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I made a whole roasted chicken, roasted root vegetables (carrots, parsnips, onions & radishes), a pan of roasted potatoes and a tossed salad.  Welcome home Mom & Dad!!!

It's strange cooking in someone else's kitchen….the 3 1/2 lb. chicken went into the convection oven at 475 (automatically dropped to 450 degrees) and was on a broiler pan rack, no sides, for 1 1/2 hours.  It was barely brown and after it had rested & I carved it into pieces, needed to go back into the oven to get cooked completely around the joints.  I thought by using the convection oven it would come out golden brown and crispy and, certainly, after 1-1/2 hours at 450 it should have been completely done.  I had even had the chicken out on the countertop after washing it off for a good 30 minutes to let it come to temp and allow the seasonings to work their magic…..

Andrea has 2 wall ovens ~ 1 convection & 1 regular.  The roasted vegetables & potatoes in the regular electric oven were cooked just as I expected.  I don't understand why the convection oven didn't do a better job of browning / baking.  Hmmmm, gotta figure this out.  

Well, it wasn't any big deal.  I just don't understand why there's such a difference in her ovens.

Is the oven electric or gas convection?

That set at 475, when you select convection ( it auto reduces the temp. 25º, but it should have cooked to perfection in 1-1/2 hrs.
Let me ask maria.....she has a electric convection stove / oven.

OK.... I called her, and she said, she does a large oven stuffer, not stuffed, and it comes out perfectly done in 2-1/2 hrs.At 350º... Now that's a bigger chicken than a 3-1/2 lb one like you cooked.
Hmmmm!!! That's one to research some day. Check the stove oven manufacturers web site.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum