Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JUNE... What's for Dinner.

+5
Bugster2
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
Barbara101
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 13]

101JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 Empty Re: JUNE... What's for Dinner. Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:15 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I would never recommend a cookbook on Kindle but when it is free....

102JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 Empty Re: JUNE... What's for Dinner. Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:05 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina has a cabbage and ground sausage / beef / rice casserole in the grill outside.

It's that recipe with the cream of tomato soup for the sauce. I like tomato soup, but not too happy about it in casseroles.

I shall see if I eat it.

..............> * just checked it....its boiling to beat the band, and it looks like soup.

103JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 Empty Re: JUNE... What's for Dinner. Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:09 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 Foil3_thumb3

104JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 Empty Re: JUNE... What's for Dinner. Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, Jimmy, I hope yours is better than mine.

It's FRIDAY THE 13TH !!!!

I managed to burn my chicken cutlet on one side, then found just a tiny bit of mozzarella in the drawer to cover it up a bit....oh well, it wasn't all THAT terrible. It could have been worse. Actually, I've MADE worse in the past.

JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 061314

105JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 Empty Re: JUNE... What's for Dinner. Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:12 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 Ourbeans4

todays haul  JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 3267860543   JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 940422454 

106JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 Empty Re: JUNE... What's for Dinner. Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:49 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Last night Brian grilled some pork tenderloin. He likes to marinate it but I asked for something plainer -- like salt, freshly ground pepper and garlic powder. It was vey good and he liked it as well. I made some tomato sauce from all our cherry tomatoes and mixed in penne pasta when it was done. Leftover tomato casserole and some apple sauce finished the dinner off. Quite good.

Tonight it'll be leftover grilled pork tenderloin with a mixed bean salad I made yesterday but it has to sit overnight to really develop the flavors. God, it's so good. Brian had forgotten how much he liked it, as I think I told you guys before, the stores down here don't sell 13- or 15-bean mix anymore. We'll also have a Creole tomato, homegrown cucumber and baby romaine salad, too, with a tangy vinaigrette.

I had planned to make a plum cobbler (with some peaches thrown in) but he was going to cook it on the Weber (I'm like Barb -- no oven in the summer) and it'll probably be raining tonight. If not, I can throw that cobbler together in 10 minutes. Brian was disappointed in the rain, as he kept mentioning the plum cobbler all day. The man likes sweets more and more every day.

107JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 Empty Re: JUNE... What's for Dinner. Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:51 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 Foil3_thumb3

Sausage??? looks good.

108JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 Empty Re: JUNE... What's for Dinner. Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:54 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:Last night Brian grilled some pork tenderloin.  He likes to marinate it but I asked for something plainer -- like salt, freshly ground pepper and garlic powder.  It was vey good and he liked it as well.  I made some tomato sauce from all our cherry tomatoes and mixed in penne pasta when it was done.  Leftover tomato casserole and some apple sauce finished the dinner off.  Quite good.  

Tonight it'll be leftover grilled pork tenderloin with a mixed bean salad I made yesterday but it has to sit overnight to really develop the flavors.  God, it's so good.  Brian had forgotten how much he liked it, as I think I told you guys before, the stores down here don't sell 13- or 15-bean mix anymore.  We'll also have a Creole tomato, homegrown cucumber and baby romaine salad, too, with a tangy vinaigrette.  

I had planned to make a plum cobbler (with some peaches thrown in) but he was going to cook it on the Weber (I'm like Barb -- no oven in the summer) and it'll probably be raining tonight.  If not, I can throw that cobbler together in 10 minutes.  Brian was disappointed in the rain, as he kept mentioning the plum cobbler all day.  The man likes sweets more and more every day.  

Sounds like a feast there.

Poor Brian... he is so deprived of his sweets.

hahahaaaaaaa

109JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 Empty Re: JUNE... What's for Dinner. Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:57 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Well, Jimmy, I hope yours is better than mine.

It's FRIDAY THE 13TH !!!!

I managed to burn my chicken cutlet on one side, then found just a tiny bit of mozzarella in the drawer to cover it up a bit....oh well, it wasn't all THAT terrible.  It could have been worse.  Actually, I've MADE worse in the past.  

JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 061314

Tina said...."The cutlet looks fine.

Love that potato with butter. I'll bet jimmy would eat that well done chicken!

110JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 Empty Re: JUNE... What's for Dinner. Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:59 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

yes Italian sausage..yum yum..

CB I have taken to using my toaster oven to bake in..

111JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 Empty Re: JUNE... What's for Dinner. Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:02 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 1838020472 Here are some pics of the cabbage casserole.

It was OK.... but a little sweet. Te recipe called for brown sugar.
Tina will omit that next time.
The cabbage was hard. I asked if it was skunk cabbage. haha

I mentioned that it would be great on a bed of cauliflower.

If we took all the cabbage out, it would be like eating sloppy Joes.
I said to Tina,"Manwich!"  JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 1838020472 

JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 Ash7

JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 Ai8i

112JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 Empty Re: JUNE... What's for Dinner. Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:03 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy - that looks like the "faux" cabbage roll casserole that people make. All the same fixin's as cabbage rolls but layered instead of rolled.

And in Ohio the tomato sauce is always a 'sweet & sour' sauce with tomatoes, vinegar and brown sugar. You have to be careful you don't overdo it on the brown sugar or it does come out too sweet. But a little bit is integral to the taste as the molasses in the brown sugar does a certain something to the sauce. I've left it out entirely before and it just wasn't right at all.

113JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 Empty Re: JUNE... What's for Dinner. Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:
I had planned to make a plum cobbler (with some peaches thrown in) but he was going to cook it on the Weber (I'm like Barb -- no oven in the summer) and it'll probably be raining tonight.  If not, I can throw that cobbler together in 10 minutes.  Brian was disappointed in the rain, as he kept mentioning the plum cobbler all day.  The man likes sweets more and more every day.  

I'm with Barb....AND if it's not pouring down rain and you can put a toaster oven out on the porch, that's where I'd be baking my plum cobbler.

Poor Brian ~ his tongue must be SO upset....ready for plum cobbler and then not getting it. Poor Brian...

lol

114JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 Empty Re: JUNE... What's for Dinner. Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:08 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Jimmy - that looks like the "faux" cabbage roll casserole that people make.  All the same fixin's as cabbage rolls but layered instead of rolled.

And in Ohio the tomato sauce is always a 'sweet & sour' sauce with tomatoes, vinegar and brown sugar. You have to be careful you don't overdo it on the brown sugar or it does come out too sweet.  But a little bit is integral to the taste as the molasses in the brown sugar does a certain something to the sauce.  I've left it out entirely before and it just wasn't right at all.

Yep. The brown sugar was too much. hahaha....2 tbs. in the recipe.
The cabbage had some tough leaves too. Actually, I like crunchy cabbage. pig 

115JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 Empty Re: JUNE... What's for Dinner. Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:24 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Jimmy that does look good.Beth too..

116JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 Empty Re: JUNE... What's for Dinner. Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:16 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:Jimmy that does look good.Beth too..

Thanks Barb. It was OK, but we learned to cut back on the sugar, and watch the cabbage and if tough, to maybe steam it first.

Tina is going to try it again.
We gave the 3/4 of it to the next door neighbor. They like sweet like that.

Today we are having fresh kielbasi for supper. Tina is going to fry me some kraut too. I like the way she browns it with onions, and it caramelizes.
She washes it first to cut down on the salt.

You should smell the kitchen. OMG it smells so good.  lol! 

117JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 Empty Re: JUNE... What's for Dinner. Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:39 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Kielbasa and sauerkraut....YUM!

Your cabbage/ground beef/tomato casserole got me droolin' for something similar....didn't know quite what but knew if I got some ground beef I'd think of something.

Spanish Rice.

I know, I know....it's a fall dish. Unless, of course, once you got it in your head ~ well, that's all I could think of.

I've got it simmerin' away on the range.

118JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 Empty Re: JUNE... What's for Dinner. Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:41 pm

NormM

NormM

Charlie and Cassie are making dinner for me tonight. Cassie works tomorrow.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

119JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 Empty Re: JUNE... What's for Dinner. Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Thanks Barb. It was OK, but we learned to cut back on the sugar, and watch the cabbage and if tough, to maybe steam it first.

Tina is going to try it again.
We gave the 3/4 of it to the next door neighbor. They like sweet like that.

Jimmy - suggest to Tina she use her regular recipe for stuffed cabbage that you all like.

Slice the cabbage and layer half in a greased casserole dish. The put in the ground meat, vegetable & rice filling. The other half amount of sliced cabbage on top. Then pour the tomato sauce/tomatoes/etc. over all and bake.

You could, of course, change it a bit and add some shredded cheese on top for the last 15 minutes or so since you both like that.

It's just easier to layer than to spend the time filling and rolling the cabbage leaves. Since you're using the same recipe as usual the taste is the same.

120JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 Empty Re: JUNE... What's for Dinner. Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:53 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Love sauerkraut! It makes my scalp sweat just thinking about it.

121JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 Empty Re: JUNE... What's for Dinner. Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:38 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Barbara101 wrote:yes Italian sausage..yum yum..

CB I have taken to using my toaster oven to bake in..

We don't have a toaster oven and I don't want one. I haven't used one since i left my mom's house. They've come a long way since then but I find they take up a lot of room and are serious crumb catchers.

I saw you peeps talking about one and asked Brian if he wanted to try one. He was like me and said no. But at least he's my "Weber oven" man in the summer so I guess I'm lucky there!

122JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 Empty Re: JUNE... What's for Dinner. Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:51 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:Poor Brian... he is so deprived of his sweets.

Don't you feel sorry for Brian, as he gets his sweets even if he has to hide them -- and he does. For one thing, he usually has this HUGE bowl of ice cream every night. Lately, the freezer has been jammed so his ice cream had to stay away for a while. He buys cookies at the store all the time and occasionally some other dessert. He also sneaks in candy, as I see the wrappers that he's too lazy to hide in the trash (like I would, if it was me).

The other night I found a small tootsie roll wrapper in the master bathroom. Believe it or not, it was stuck to the underside of the toilet seat cover (!!), which was open when I went in the bathroom to use it. He got hysterical (like a six-year-old boy!) when he asked where I found the wrapper and I told him. He said he must've been eating them in bed and one got stuck to him. It was the really small wrapper so he must've bought a whole bag of them!

I've also found empty bags of candy in the guest bathroom wastebasket, as he usually uses that bathroom as "his." Good thing he's not a criminal, as he would've gone to jail years ago. He's not a good sneak and he's a terrible liar (I can always tell if he's lying, which drives him crazy).

He'll get his plum cobbler tonight so all of you can rest easy about "poor Brian." I'm laughing, as he would love all this...

123JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 Empty Re: JUNE... What's for Dinner. Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:11 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Charlie and Cassie are making dinner for me tonight.  Cassie works tomorrow.

Norm...stay safe, and hope you are aware of the nasty weather in your area.
I'm watching the weather, and it shows Kansas and North in the danger zone.

124JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 Empty Re: JUNE... What's for Dinner. Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:31 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 Honeythighs6_thumb3

thighs..yellow rice,green beans.No I am not sick of them yet.. I love you 

Last edited by Barbara101 on Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

125JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 Empty Re: JUNE... What's for Dinner. Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, I'm happy and satisfied.....

Spanish Rice and toasted baguette:

JUNE... What's for Dinner. - Page 5 061414

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum