Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

First fresh orange juice of the season

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1First fresh orange juice of the season Empty First fresh orange juice of the season Mon May 05, 2014 4:05 pm

NormM

NormM

I had an eye doctor appointment this morning and Trader Joe's was on the way home. They seem to be the first ones to carry Valencia oranges each year. I just finished squeezing a quart of juice. I just hope Charlie does not drink all of that in one day.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

No kidding! I now only juice one glass at a time. I figure if anyone else wants fresh juice (and HE shall remain nameless for this post.....) he can just squeeze 'em himself. That's a lot of work ~ worth the taste but more work than I want to do and then watch someone pour a gigantic glassful and just drink it down as if it grew on trees. Oh, wait, it DOES grow on trees. It just doesn't come in the pourable form. That takes work. lol

NormM

NormM

First fresh orange juice of the season DSCN1406_zps598b5a21

This makes it easy and relatively fast to make OJ, Plus if I squeeze all the oranges at once, I only have to clean it once. Also, a quart of juice takes less room in the refrigerator than a couple dozen oranges.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

That's an antique Norm.   NICE!

When we were kids, orange juice was a rarity. It was available as only when the shipments came in from CA or Florida.

Mom had the juicer bowl on her MixMaster stand mixer, and she would buy the oranges in the burlap bag (Like 10 Lbs.) and juice them all.
We only got juice in what we called the juice glasses. They were little three belly glases she got from the movie theater, and Mom would fill it only 3/4 of the way. We HAD TO Drink it, and all of it.
If the oranges were bitter, she would let us add sugar, but ONLY IF She allowed it, and agreed the juice was too bitter.Oh! and no straining. You would get the seeds and the pulp.
We would complain, and she said,"God Gave you a built in strainer, (your teeth) so use them!"

NormM

NormM

Our juice glasses were empty jelly jars. They were about 5 ounces and had cartoon figures on the bottom so you could see them when the glass was empty. I think we had some juice glasses that chipped beef came in too.

cookingirl

cookingirl

I remember the empty jelly jar glasses! I loved the Flintstones!!!
Those were my favorite glasses--right size for kids!

7First fresh orange juice of the season Empty Re: First fresh orange juice of the season Wed May 07, 2014 11:10 am

JanaAZ

In my other house I had 4 orange trees, plus had to deal with the 8 trees of my neighbors that hung over my fence. We bought a KitchenAid orange squeezer. It saved a lot of time. It got to the point we couldn't even look at oranges. Now I miss those darn trees. Oh well.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum