Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Antique Roadshow...anyone watch it?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Antique Roadshow...anyone watch it? on Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:04 pm

bethk

Admin
I love watching the reaction of people who bring in old family 'junque' to see if they have a treasure. Some of the stuff is interesting, some of it is just strange.

I just heard a comment from one of the participants when she was informed an old item her mother had kept for years was worth a huge amount of money.

The daughter looked at the appraiser and said, "Did you hear that? That was my mother turning over in her grave!"

Hahahahahaha.....some of the stuff is priceless.

2 Re: Antique Roadshow...anyone watch it? on Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:12 am

Niagara Visitor

I love that show. My sister recently came into a bunch of jewellery owned by a woman almost 100 years old. Some very nice things. I took them all to a jeweller. He looked at it all, and said, very nice pieces, but costume. Sigh.

3 Re: Antique Roadshow...anyone watch it? on Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:33 am

NormM

Even nice and old costume jewelry can have some value. I love the show too. The Keno brothers also have a show of their own.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

4 Re: Antique Roadshow...anyone watch it? on Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:16 pm

Niagara Visitor

Jewellery is quite nice. My sister is into revamping and making new using old pieces. She just wanted to make certain that if there were diamonds/rubies, she didn't mess them up!

5 Re: Antique Roadshow...anyone watch it? on Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:11 am

Bugster2

My father was a collector. He would go through phases of collecting. For a while it was first edition books. Another time it was bicycles. Another time it was watches. During the watch phase he bought a watch that was advertised as a gold plated Rolex. My father was savvy enough by this time to know that Rolex never made gold plated watches. He bought it for $150, took it home and opened up the case and found that it was stamped 18k gold. What is even better is that it was a rare watch. He sold it for $27,000 30 years ago. You just never know.

6 Re: Antique Roadshow...anyone watch it? on Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:44 am

UNCLE JIMMY

I love that show!... Tina and I look at each other after watching an item, and she say's, "Do We have anything antique?"..... And I just Look and stare at her!!!.... hahahahaha

She caught on! ...

I do have a piece of furniture that is a table. A Parlor Table they called it. It did have A Mirror glass on top, with Gold Leaf around the edges. It was 1920 ish, and is all carved beautifully.
It's not pressed wood, but is real wood. I have to look closer when I can dig it out from the spare storage room some day, and look at the carvings for chisel marks. It's all mortise and tenon assembled with no nails. Only problem is, the old gent that had it, varnished it.

7 Re: Antique Roadshow...anyone watch it? on Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:05 am

NormM

I was married to ex #2 for about a year. It was the most miserable year of my life.  I had a little collection of art.  She took some of my favorites, some signed and numbered. I collected oil burning lamps which were awkward to display.  She took the rarest and most expensive.  I had a watch collection from my family that got lost in a house fire some years earlier. Also in the fire went a collection of corkscrews and personal art. I replaced some of the stuff that was lost but don't actively collect any of those things now.  Now I just collect fountain pens.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

8 Re: Antique Roadshow...anyone watch it? on Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:44 pm

Niagara Visitor

I am not a collector really, of anything particular. Right now I am a "getting rid of things" rather than collector. My son is coming over to take pictures to put things on kijiji. Maybe I can make a few bucks.

Anyone interested in a 6ft. solid oak sideboard? I had it custom made when we were doing B&B. It is a gorgeous piece, would make a fantastic bathroom vanity also by taking the two center drawers out, plopping in a sink, even big enough for two sinks! But, you have to come and pick it up here in Niagara!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum