Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Summer Garden

+4
NormM
Barbara101
Imelda HL
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Summer Garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer Garden Sat May 24, 2014 1:24 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Or............... make clubs for the men to beat their wives butts when they don't listen!

27Summer Garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer Garden Sat May 24, 2014 1:36 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

well my black thumb is doing its thing.My one tomato plant,heirloom,, is growing up,a few yellow flowers.yellow leaves on the bottom,I pinch those off.

I had a hand full of seeds,beans what kind I do not know. 2 kinds of squash. I planted all of them. Got very few plants. 3 of something.? One green pepper.so I have one plant with really cute little pink flowers on it.?? Then another growing great now it has little green things on it..lol.Bean maybe.I am such a great gardener.  Summer Garden - Page 2 1838020472 Summer Garden - Page 2 2876911673 If I had to grow my own veggies I would starve..

28Summer Garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer Garden Sat May 24, 2014 1:39 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
Barbara101 wrote:I used to do this black lady nails.She was a nurse.Really Really nice.Back when I lived in NC.I said something about cooking a pot of beans with hocks with a side of corn bread & she said 'good lordie you are the first white girl I ever met that cooked soul food'  well to me that was just food my granny taught me.lol

anyway from then on she brought me brown grocery bags FULL FULL of Pecans.From the trees in her yard.First time I ever saw one s like that  Summer Garden - Page 2 2855670339 

Black balls of rough shells.Tough job getting to the pecan I can tell you that..

Sure wish I had them now...I love pecans..Walnuts... not so much..

And I can tell you, I'm certainly glad and grateful I can afford to purchase my pecans already shelled and picked!  Mom use to bring home bags and bags of Georgia pecans when she went to my brother's to visit.  She thought they were a "bargain" price.  Geesh!  I was workin' a full time job, volunteering at the girls' school and Mom got upset if I didn't want to spend all day Saturday and Sunday cracking and pickin' pecans with her.

Tinas mom would never use the shelled pecans or any nuts for baking. Poor Tina had to crack pounds of shells and pick out the meats just so her mom could bake with them.

Another thing was....on thanks giving time and the holidays , Mom always had the big bowl of different nuts on the center of the table, with the crackers and nut picks in the middle.

Tina buys them, but they are not as popular. People are spoiled today; they want them already shelled. They couldn't be bothered cracking nuts.

29Summer Garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer Garden Sat May 24, 2014 2:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yeah....the holiday mixed nut bowl w/cracker & pics. Who's genius idea was that? The family 'nuts' would come and sit around crackin' and pickin' nuts and leave a holy mess on the table, the ironed tablecloth, the dining room chairs and the floor. And did they ever clean up after themselves???

(you guess the answer to that one.....)

By New Year's all that was left was the Brazil nuts because they were so difficult to crack. And, NO, I do NOT want to know what they were called at YOUR house....lol

30Summer Garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer Garden Sat May 24, 2014 3:21 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Yeah....the holiday mixed nut bowl w/cracker & pics.  Who's genius idea was that?  The family 'nuts' would come and sit around crackin' and pickin' nuts and leave a holy mess on the table, the ironed tablecloth, the dining room chairs and the floor.  And did they ever clean up after themselves???

(you guess the answer to that one.....)

By New Year's all that was left was the Brazil nuts because they were so difficult to crack.  And, NO, I do NOT want to know what they were called at YOUR house....lol

tsk tsk tsk.......

And wait till you hear this one.... Uncle Johnny, my dads uncle, ( we called him the Mayor because he always put on a rich mans front, but hadn't a pot to pee in or a window to throw it out) would come for Christmas dinner, etc. and would complain to my mom,"Where's the nuts on the table?"
Mom would say,"Nuts are too expensive this year, so if you want nuts, bring yer own!"

A true story on the Brazl nuts...they were my grandpop Fiorenza's favorite nut.
My Gram, would sit there for hours cracking them for him, and they had to be whole!!!" He would complain if the nut was not somewhat whole.
He would sit and eat them while drinking his homemade wine!....
And they catered to him.

BTW...just a trick that really works with Brazil Nuts.......
Freeze them overnight, and take them out and crack them. 95% come cracked whole! I tried it, and it works.
Boy, the women really catered to their man back then.

Gramps wouldn't drink coffee, unless it was with a saucer. He would pour the coffee a little at the time from the cup into the saucer, and drink it from the saucer.  Summer Garden - Page 2 1450907917 

31Summer Garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer Garden Sat May 24, 2014 3:45 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

No, he would "SLURP" it from the saucer.....

I had a grandpa who did that, too. Don't know why Grandma didn't just shoot him and put him out of his misery..... (just kidding)

32Summer Garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer Garden Sat May 24, 2014 5:20 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:No, he would "SLURP" it from the saucer.....

I had a grandpa who did that, too.  Don't know why Grandma didn't just shoot him and put him out of his misery.....  (just kidding)

Summer Garden - Page 2 2876911673 Summer Garden - Page 2 2876911673 you're right...it was slurp, and gram hated when he did that; but she just smiled at him ( while thinking....you s o b ...just bring home the pay check) ...  Summer Garden - Page 2 3447731902 

33Summer Garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer Garden Sat May 24, 2014 5:51 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:The best use for black walnut trees (In my opinion) is to cut them down and use the wood for furniture.

Loved this crack, Norm!

34Summer Garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer Garden Mon May 26, 2014 7:45 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I walked outside this morning and saw a couple green tomatoes on the ground.  I though, 'DARN squirrels!  They found my garden..."  Then, when the sun was up a little more and I could see the whole plant I realized I should have tied up some of the branches because the fruit just got too heavy and it just snapped off.

Oh well, live and learn.  I guess some green tomato relish will be on my recipe search today ~ too many for fried green tomatoes to eat.  Well, maybe one will become my lunch.

Summer Garden - Page 2 Tooheavy

35Summer Garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer Garden Mon May 26, 2014 9:37 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I have nothing. Guess I will be going HOPEFULLY to the farmers market to get fresh maters.

36Summer Garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer Garden Mon May 26, 2014 10:18 am

NormM

NormM

I have had three strawberries from my plant. Squirrel got one. I ate one and brought the other one inside. Charlie and Cassie shared that one. (they each took a bite)

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

37Summer Garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer Garden Mon May 26, 2014 10:18 am

NormM

NormM

NormM wrote:I have had three strawberries from my plant. Squirrel got one. I ate one and brought the other one inside. Charlie and Cassie shared that one. (they each took a bite)
They were really sweet.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

38Summer Garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer Garden Mon May 26, 2014 11:05 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Summer Garden - Page 2 2876911673 Summer Garden - Page 2 2876911673  Norm.. I think I will stick to flowers.And weeds.

I have no idea what the other plants are. So when they fruit, if they do ,,I will enjoy them....

39Summer Garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer Garden Mon May 26, 2014 11:41 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I have had three strawberries from my plant. Squirrel got one. I ate one and brought the other one inside. Charlie and Cassie shared that one. (they each took a bite)

Well, I guess we can assume you aren't going to set up a card table in the front yard to 'sell' your produce.....

At least Charlie and Cassie were considerate of one another.

(Me, I woulda eaten the two that were left and then walked in the house muttering about the darn squirrels.....ate my berrIES ! )

40Summer Garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer Garden Mon May 26, 2014 11:43 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'll post the pics and recipe for the Chow Chow recipe I found (and adjusted for my tastes) in the "odds & ends" section.

41Summer Garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer Garden Mon May 26, 2014 11:54 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

this reminds of the peach tree my DM bought. $1. was nothing but a stick.My SF pissed & groaned about digging the hole.Well that stick grew & grew.Got full of peaches the branch hung to the ground. Mom said go out & pick as many as you can.

affraid Not one peach.
 Summer Garden - Page 2 2787578702 Summer Garden - Page 2 1562938848 Coons got um..

42Summer Garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer Garden Mon May 26, 2014 12:42 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I walked outside this morning and saw a couple green tomatoes on the ground.  I though, 'DARN squirrels!  They found my garden..."  Then, when the sun was up a little more and I could see the whole plant I realized I should have tied up some of the branches because the fruit just got too heavy and it just snapped off.

Oh well, live and learn.  I guess some green tomato relish will be on my recipe search today ~ too many for fried green tomatoes to eat.  Well, maybe one will become my lunch.

Summer Garden - Page 2 Tooheavy

Beth... you could fry them...then try placing on a cookie sheet and freeze them; then bag them and you will have them in the fall / winter....
Oh geeze...I forgot, you're not in OH anymore. lol! 

43Summer Garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer Garden Mon May 26, 2014 12:58 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've got six or seven slices from the large green tomato in a zip bag with some buttermilk/sriracha soak. I'll fry 'em up for my lunch tomorrow or the next day. The rest were just the right amount to chop for my Chow-Chow relish. I had to go to WalMart and buy a box of 4 oz. Ball jars. I gave all my canning stuff to Andrea when we moved. I've made a 'will-have-to-make-do' canning kettle out of a stainless steel Dutch oven pot with a rack in the bottom so the jars don't sit on the bottom. Since they only have to process for 10 minutes (as most pickles) they should be just fine this time.

44Summer Garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer Garden Tue May 27, 2014 1:17 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bethk wrote:I walked outside this morning and saw a couple green tomatoes on the ground. I though, 'DARN squirrels! They found my garden..." Then, when the sun was up a little more and I could see the whole plant I realized I should have tied up some of the branches because the fruit just got too heavy and it just snapped off.

Same thing here, Beth. The Brandywine tomato plant, which is bigger and wider than the Better Boys, partially fell over Sunday night, pulling the tomato cage we have (they're heavy duty and have braces about every foot) around it partially down, too. I thought Brian was going to have a heart attack. He pulled it back up and tied it with tomato ties to the rest of the cages and also added an iron stick to the raised garden to tie it onto. That plant is over six feet tall so it's a big one! I see where one of the branches (they're huge) did "bend," but it didn't break. So far the tomatoes on that plant look fine.

I'm figuring another three weeks until we're eating the Better Boys, and we can't wait. I'm dying to try the Brandywine, too, as it's the first heirloom we've grown. I told Brian that next year, we can plant a few of the smaller varieties so we have some tomatoes a bit sooner, like Early Girl. We're so used to growing the really big ones that they ripen later. Cherries are going crazy as are the Romas. Can't wait to make sauce, salsa and pico de gallo from the Romas.

I have three Roma plants but if I don't have enough, I'll buy them from the produce markets that spring up nearby -- mostly in Belle Chasse, La., which is about a 20-minute ride from here. But it's a nice ride -- there's a high flyover bridge I go over on the ride and it passes over the Intracoastal Waterway (that's the body of water which is a shortcut from the Gulf of Mexico to the Mississippi River). When I take the bridge, you can see the locks in the waterway, too, which I love. It's pretty rural in Belle Chasse once you drive in a bit and it's just a pleasure to go down there. The PX is down that way, at Allen Callendar Field, though a bit farther, and since Brian is now 100% disabled from the military, we can shop there. Allen Callendar is 500 acres of military! I also like watching the jets flying around when I'm down there as well (including those Harrier jets which take off and land vertically!!!), not to mention all the birds and hawks I see on the drive. You'll laugh but we have satellite radio in the car and there's this great station called Classic Vinyl that plays the best music. Car radio is soooo nice when there's no commercials constantly -- just a bit of self promotion.

45Summer Garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer Garden Tue May 27, 2014 5:14 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hahahaha - re: satellite radio, Crybaby. When we drove through Ocala National Forest to go to the Blue Crab Fest on Sunday I was trying to find a radio station with something we could stand to listen to. I don't read manuals (never did, just don't understand most of what they write in the instructions) so I was just pushin' buttons and doin' the 'seek' up and down....well, I found out we have serrius (sp?) radio in my little Pontiac. Dane kept sayin', "did you subscribe to that?". What a silly question....I mean, he was asking ME if I subscribed to something I know nothing about. IF the radio had turned into a cooking program describing foods of different regions of the US, well, MAYBE that's something he could think I would be tempted to subscribe to. But satellite radio? Nah, just lucky, I guess.

46Summer Garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer Garden Tue May 27, 2014 7:16 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I had to laugh, as when we bought this car, it came with free satelite for 90 days. Everyone told us how they forget to turn it off and how some of them had it for six months or more. Us? The day after the 90-day period, they shut it off. I bought Brian the cheapest package that had the Classic Vinyl that we liked (heard it in a bar room and asked what the channel was). It was cute, too, as he picked me up from work and said, "Guess what? Someone mistakenly turned the satellite radio back on!" Just like the AT&T ad, I said, "That was me, honey!"

47Summer Garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer Garden Thu May 29, 2014 11:22 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Summer Garden - Page 2 3267860543 sprayed myself down with Deet. Not one bite. cheers had to take shower after tho.To de-deet.

But the good news to me is I am the proud owner of one little baby green pepper.Bunch of baby green beans..Squash has buds.Bunch of other green things popping up that I have no idea what..Tom growing but zero anything.

Figured out why my sweetpeas have not bloomed out.Seems MS Cat has her pottie there.oh well.

Summer Garden - Page 2 3267860543 

48Summer Garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer Garden Thu May 29, 2014 11:33 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's not the amount of produce you get ~ it's the thrill of having something grow.

Although a bumper crop of tomatoes ain't such a bad thing.....

Good for you!

Summer Garden - Page 2 4056093967 

49Summer Garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer Garden Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:59 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Summer Garden - Page 2 Garden04282011

50Summer Garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer Garden Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:00 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Summer Garden - Page 2 IMG_20120713_091448

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]