Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Summer Garden

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1 Summer Garden on Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:55 pm

bethk

Admin
Here are some pics of my anticipated summer garden....my tomatoes are doing very nicely. I have one 'patio pot' variety, designed to be grown in a pot, a plum and a grape tomato plant to grow up the trellis and my pot of curley parsley....

My herbs started from seed have been harvested regularly....basil, dill & Italian parsley. Oh, and there's the pot of my grandma's chives brought from Ohio and very happy to be in the sunshine. It just got done blooming and I'll trim it up one day soon.

My sister-in-law gave me a couple coffee trees - she had them transplanted from one at her home and when I put them in larger pots they really took off. One is for me and one is to share with a friend.

And here's the concrete casting I had done of Mr. Amazing.....

2 Re: Summer Garden on Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:55 pm

Imelda HL

nice Beth.. all your greens look so fresh and happy  Very Happy 

I hope you don't mind, I'm going to share some of Dirk's green thumb here  Smile 

we got bunch of artichokes, at least 14 that I could see  

some kale

some spinach.. I told D to pick some, I don't need to buy veggies for this week and the drawer in my fridge is empty

we some onion for years ago.. they are blooming now.. D likes to keep the seeds and plant them again

we got some chili peppers, jalapeno, serrano, fresno, Thai chili

3 Re: Summer Garden on Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:13 pm

bethk

Admin
Those are all so beautiful, Imelda! Dirk has a really green thumb!

I love the artichokes - I don't think they would grow here, but I don't know that for sure. They sure are impressive to see in the garden.

4 Re: Summer Garden on Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:21 am

Barbara101

very nice gardens ya'll. I planted bunch of seeds.Got nothing.. yet..I may just go to lowes & buy some plants.I will try one more time to grow tomato.

Herbs? I am satisfied with dry.Except parsley. I did plant some mint,in its own pot.

Funny you posted that hose holder box. I have 5 of those & thought about getting a roll of landscape control stuff or burlap to line them & put plants in them.I also have tons & tons of baskets , my DS bought me this big sign, It fits over my laundry room double doors.Says 'you can never have to many baskets' lol.. I may put some outside as planters.

Side note ... wonder if that lava rock is the same as you put in the bottom of a smoker?

5 Re: Summer Garden on Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:58 am

bethk

Admin
Barbara101 wrote:I may just go to lowes & buy some plants.I will try one more time to grow tomato.

Side note ... wonder if that lava rock is the same as you put in the bottom of a smoker?

I am anxious to taste the 'patio pot' tomatoes when they mature. If they have good taste then I will definitely do again - the plant is compact, fruit is close to the main stem and it is super sturdy looking. I learned from watching P. Allen Smith on PBS to look at the plant label. If it says 'determinate' it means it will only get a certain height. If it says 'indeterminate' it means it will send out long stems for the fruit to grow on and must be supported on some sort of structure or have enough room to spread out on the ground.

I figure if I get more than tomatoes to eat for 4 or 5 meals I've more than made up for my investment in the plant and huge bag of potting soil. Other than that, all I do is water the silly things and watch 'em grow.

The lava rocks do look just like the ones I had in my old grill - on a rack above the burner and under the grates used for cooking. Sure would be cheaper to go to a landscape place to buy a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff instead of those little bags they sell in the grilling area of Lowe's or Home Depot! And just to be safe, I'd let 'em heat up really good before I used them with food above....just sayin'.

6 Re: Summer Garden on Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:39 am

bethk

Admin
Oh, in case you didn't notice, Barb, I have extra security to protect from tomato worms....

See how my gnome has his hand in his pocket? He's got a gun and he's prepared to use it if any of those nasty creatures decide to feast on my plants!

7 Re: Summer Garden on Tue May 06, 2014 7:47 pm

bethk

Admin
Here's the latest update on my Patio Pot Garden.....

Everything is looking great ~ we've had perfect growing weather.

The 'Patio Pot' variety tomatoes are getting just about large enough to have a couple snapped off for a lunch of Fried Green Tomatoes!

The grape tomatoes look like they're getting really large size.

This is a coffee tree my sister-in-law brought a cutting of.  She says it should get 5' - 6' tall and then produce flowers and finally little orange berries.  I doubt I'll be roasting any coffee beans but it sure is a pretty little tree.  I love the color variation and shape of the leaves.

8 Re: Summer Garden on Tue May 06, 2014 8:32 pm

NormM

A friend sent me an Earthbox jr. for Christmas and I have strawberry and tomato plants in it. Both are quite small yet but the strawberry has some berries on it already.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

9 Re: Summer Garden on Tue May 06, 2014 9:00 pm

bethk

Admin
We grew strawberries one year....never got so angry in my life.

The day before we knew the berries would be ripe enough to pick and eat, the squirrels decided the night before they were ready to be sure.

Every berry was stripped off the plants. What a waste of time, money & effort.

So, If I was you, Norm, I'd invest in some sort of netting protection to keep those evil creatures away from your berries. I'd suggest tying the cat up in the backyard but the squirrels usually just assume the cat is there as a challenge and step up their efforts to foil your protection plan.

10 Re: Summer Garden on Wed May 07, 2014 1:51 am

Bugster2

I had the same thing happen to me with my strawberries and the squirrels. Something gets into my tomatoes and half chews them. I didn't get around to planting this year. No tomatoes for me.

11 Re: Summer Garden on Wed May 07, 2014 11:11 am

NormM

I didn't plant anything last year because animals ate everything the year before but there was a drought that year so I hope they leave things alone this year. I never had the problem in Junction City.

12 Re: Summer Garden on Sun May 18, 2014 8:34 pm

bethk

Admin
I went out to some of the local consignment stores in hopes of finding some pots to use for some plants my sister-in-law gave me. Luck was with me and I found some containers that were inexpensive ($1 - $2 each) to use.

Cheryle gave me some plants she had dug up from her yard and I noticed a couple were also growing some Moss Rose plants......I found a couple of these adorable mugs and thought one would be perfect to use for the little plants. Dane worked for quite a while drilling a hole in the bottom of the ceramic mugs for drainage and then I planted them.

All of our 'house' plants are thriving outside. When Dane came down in January he brought a bunch of cuttings from his prized jade plant ~ the one he started from a cutting from my aunt's that he took when we visited in 1980 when we visited her in San Francisco. The plants we had in Ohio were just too large to move here so he gifted them to his cousin and just brought a bunch of the leaves in a zip bag and stuck 'em in some soil. As you can see, they love the weather here! We've already gifted four to friends and relatives so I guess we're stuck with the rest....

13 Re: Summer Garden on Thu May 22, 2014 8:13 pm

jetfan27

Don't get me started with squirrels!. They are the reason I stopped planting. I am going to try in Jersey, but the people tell me the deer eat everything. Looks like I can't win anywhere except a 100 acre farm where I can grow enough for everyone!
I forgot to say that your gardens are beautiful!!

14 Re: Summer Garden on Thu May 22, 2014 9:13 pm

bethk

Admin

I've had a lot of fun with the challenge. In Ohio Dane was the gardener. Here, he takes care of his house plants and I play with the stuff outside.

So far ((knock on wood)) the squirrels haven't bothered my tomatoes or anything else.

I have watched them, however, as they climb the neighbor's hibiscus plants and eat half the leaves and most of the open blooms right off the stems. Filthy creatures.

15 Re: Summer Garden on Thu May 22, 2014 9:35 pm

Bugster2

You should see and feel the holes that the squirrels have dug in our yard. They were so bad in an area around a freeway off-ramp that it undermined the stability of the ground and the ramp had to be rebuilt.

16 Re: Summer Garden on Fri May 23, 2014 10:01 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

We have a walnut tree on side the house. in the fall, they drop, and I picked up three crates of them.

i drove them down to the back qnd threw them all in the woods.
Them suirrels brought them back, and buried them back where they fell.
This fall...I will burn the nuts and shells.

Ya know what I say to that?.....Oh Nuts!

17 Re: Summer Garden on Sat May 24, 2014 12:42 am

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:We have a walnut tree on side the house. in the fall, they drop, and I picked up three crates of them.

Can't you use them, Jimmy? Like peel and freeze if not for an immediate use?

Our squirrels don't bother anything in the yard except the bird feeder and the suet (and the stale bread or rolls that we smash into the suet cage) and that's fine with us. They haven't bothered our strawberries either which are pretty close to the bird feeder.

We're thinking of getting a squirrel toy (the kind with the dried corn ears) so they can entertain us a bit.

18 Re: Summer Garden on Sat May 24, 2014 12:56 am

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:We have a walnut tree on side the house. in the fall, they drop, and I picked up three crates of them.

Can't you use them, Jimmy?  Like peel and freeze if not for an immediate use?  

Our squirrels don't bother anything in the yard except the bird feeder and the suet (and the stale bread or rolls that we smash into the suet cage) and that's fine with us.  They haven't bothered our strawberries either which are pretty close to the bird feeder.  

We're thinking of getting a squirrel toy (the kind with the dried corn ears) so they can entertain us a bit.  

The nuts drop in a hard green pod / shell. Left unpicked they turn black and stain the grass. I cut one open once, and pulled out a hard pointed pod, and then I cracked it open, and tried the nut inside. Yuck! It was bitter.
Maybe it had to be dry?? I just throw them out now.

19 Re: Summer Garden on Sat May 24, 2014 7:54 am

bethk

Admin
That sounds like a black walnut tree, Jimmy.

My uncle and his boys use to shuck them with an old car.....yup, a car. Those things are harder than heck to get the outside shell off of. So my uncle would get a chain hangin' from a big old tree to hold the back of the car about 2" off the ground with a concrete chunk under the wheel. Then one of his boys would get in the car and rev the engine while the rest slung those walnuts so they'd go under the tires and then smash into the side of the garage. You can imagine how well the garage faired in this little endeavor.

Are you picturing this?

Some of the other boys had to go around and retrieve the shucked nuts to dry and then they would have black walnut meats for Christmas cookies.

Some families have more time than sense.....

LOL

20 Re: Summer Garden on Sat May 24, 2014 8:09 am

Barbara101

I used to do this black lady nails.She was a nurse.Really Really nice.Back when I lived in NC.I said something about cooking a pot of beans with hocks with a side of corn bread & she said 'good lordie you are the first white girl I ever met that cooked soul food' well to me that was just food my granny taught me.lol

anyway from then on she brought me brown grocery bags FULL FULL of Pecans.From the trees in her yard.First time I ever saw one s like that   

Black balls of rough shells.Tough job getting to the pecan I can tell you that..

Sure wish I had them now...I love pecans..Walnuts... not so much..

21 Re: Summer Garden on Sat May 24, 2014 8:18 am

Barbara101

Another story from her.I had 5 tanning beds.She asked me if black folk tanned. lol!  I said 'no but you can be the first'..She goes in for 20 minutes.Comes out & I said 'oh gosh you tanned so nice & black' We laughed & laughed.Funny how something like that sticks with you.Half the time I can't remember what day it is....

22 Re: Summer Garden on Sat May 24, 2014 8:32 am

bethk

Admin
Barbara101 wrote:I used to do this black lady nails.She was a nurse.Really Really nice.Back when I lived in NC.I said something about cooking a pot of beans with hocks with a side of corn bread & she said 'good lordie you are the first white girl I ever met that cooked soul food'  well to me that was just food my granny taught me.lol

anyway from then on she brought me brown grocery bags FULL FULL of Pecans.From the trees in her yard.First time I ever saw one s like that   

Black balls of rough shells.Tough job getting to the pecan I can tell you that..

Sure wish I had them now...I love pecans..Walnuts... not so much..

And I can tell you, I'm certainly glad and grateful I can afford to purchase my pecans already shelled and picked! Mom use to bring home bags and bags of Georgia pecans when she went to my brother's to visit. She thought they were a "bargain" price. Geesh! I was workin' a full time job, volunteering at the girls' school and Mom got upset if I didn't want to spend all day Saturday and Sunday cracking and pickin' pecans with her.

23 Re: Summer Garden on Sat May 24, 2014 11:40 am

NormM

The best use for black walnut trees (In my opinion) is to cut them down and use the wood for furniture.

24 Re: Summer Garden on Sat May 24, 2014 11:42 am

bethk

Admin
Or put on a lathe and made into beautiful ink pens.....

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum