Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

APRIL..Whats Cooking..

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 11 of 14]

251 Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. on Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:53 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:sounds good, Jimmy ~ good to not cook once in a while.

We're just sittin' here waiting for DD from Indy to arrive.  Rather than try to make the drive (which we're unfamiliar with so far) and pay all the tolls, etc., we let the kids arrive via the van.  They pick up at the airport and deliver 'em to our door.  Easy peasy.

YeAh! Easy Peasy is the way to go Beth! Worth every penny.
This is the first Indy DD trip down there I guess?
They will enjoy it; I'm sure.
God Bless....Have a great time. It must be warmed up there by now hopefully.

I took out the garbage this eve, and it was so windy and flurries were flying and hitting my face.

We enjoyed just not cooking today.
We were like two old farts, liking our fingers and making smacking sounds.
Tina let me eat without a place mat...Yay!

Tomorrow she has The Geriatric Bus Driver duty.
Picking up her 92 YO aunt and uncle and driving 3.5 hours to Mays landing Near Atlantic City....to visit with 90 YO Uncle.
Naturally she will be shopping for his needs and food.
Then the drive back that late afternoon.

252 Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. on Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:11 am

Niagara Visitor

I did a couple of bacon wrapped pork tenderloins, oven roasted potatoes and asparagus tonight.  Everything in my large French White Corning dish.  Asparagus was put in about a half hour before the rest were ready, I rolled the asparagus in the liquid from the tenderloins, so they ended all being done at the same time.  Yummy, and enough leftover pork and potato for a lunch.

253 Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. on Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:53 am

bethk

Admin
I love the one dish meals ~ seems so senseless to mess with a bunch of pots & pans.

254 Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. on Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:08 am

Niagara Visitor

You're right about that! Not only easier cleanup, but not using as much electricity.

I bought that large French White Lasagna dish when we went to Corning, NY to the factory. It must be about 25 years ago by now. It is my most used dish/pan in the house. But, I think I have only actually made lasagna in it maybe 6 times. Hubby doesn't like noodles, so that "lasagna" dish has made many more potatoes than pasta!

When my 24 year old Panasonic Genius micro wave died three years ago, I thought that I would be fine using a smaller one. The smaller one was too small to take that dish, so back to the full size for me.

255 Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. on Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:18 am

Bugster2

It is funny how many one-dish meals take 3 pans to make them. The fry pan to sauté veggies, the pan to boil pasta, another pan to heat something else. The cutting boards, the cheese grater, the knives....

256 Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. on Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:27 am

Barbara101

Bugster2 wrote:It is funny how many one-dish meals take 3 pans to make them. The fry pan to sauté veggies, the pan to boil pasta, another pan to heat something else. The cutting boards, the cheese grater, the knives....

that is for sure.I have sink full of used stuff all day & dishwasher is full everyday. yet I am cooking for one person.lol

257 Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. on Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:43 am

Niagara Visitor

I try to make things that can go in the oven, even sometimes in two or three different dishes. I find that using the oven does not heat the kitchen up nearly as much as using two or three burners.

With a meatloaf, the potatoes always are baked in the oven, or I make the loaf in one pan, and root veggies in a separate one. Done basically at the same time.

258 Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. on Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:09 pm

Barbara101

Spinach ,Boursin cheese stuffed Chicken breast.

259 Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. on Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:10 pm

Barbara101

260 Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. on Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:06 pm

bethk

Admin
Very nice, Barb. The 'stuffed chicken with spinach' always looks so inviting....

I made pork & sauerkraut with spetzlof (spatzel). It was the only request DD made ~ her family refuses to eat sauerkraut and she said she thinks it's been over 16 years (since she got married) since she's had it. We talked about the different ways she could make a small amount, enough for a meal for one and a lunch. Problem is the family can't stand the smell of sauerkraut in the house. I said, use a crock pot and plug it in out on the patio. When there's a will, there's a way!

261 Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. on Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:48 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

DD can't stand the smell of onions raw, or cooking.
Tina tries to sneak onions in her cooking, but DD will find a smidgen and push her dish away.

Son Jim will pick out the onions, but if there are too many, he won't eat it.

Tonight I ate a piece of a burger that Tina brought back from down South Jersey at her uncles favorite diner. It was dry, and way way too much bread. It was on a hard roll!
I had two Entenmens doughnuts with a coffee for supper.

262 Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. on Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:52 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:

God Bless you for taking time to roll that spinach up like that. You've got a lot of patience piecing all that together. Looks Good!.... Popeye would love that meal; I'm sure!

263 Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. on Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:50 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

I just breaded haddock ..... it was frozen...I then cut it in sticks.... used corn flour ( Beths Suggestion ) egg, and then bread crumbs.

Will fry them up, and we also will have pierogies, and broccoli as a veggie.

My mom used to cut them bigger; like squares, and fry them up. Sooo good!

Our friend dear Mary is up for the weekend.

264 Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. on Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:37 pm

Barbara101

265 Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. on Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:37 pm

NormM

Turning leftover ham to egg and ham salad

And ham and beans into smoked baked beans

brisket is for tomorrow

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

266 Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. on Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:40 pm

bethk

Admin
Jimmy, how did your fish come out? I usually just dip my cod pieces into buttermilk and then a light coating of the corn flour.

We went to Tarpon Springs for a day trip - had a wonderful Greek lunch - DD had a Greek Salad with chicken, Mr. Amazing had a Gyro ((HUGE)) and I had Greek Florida Grouper sandwich...yummy.

We went to the Greek grocery store and I got some Greek oregano, because I was out of it and you cannot make Greek Salad Dressing out of Mexican oregano....not right at all. Also picked up some bruchetta toasts and a package of itsy bitsy star shaped pasta to put in soup sometime....really cute.

Then, on the way home it was time for supper so we stopped at a new burger place, Square 1. They have "gourmet" burgers. Quite honestly, not really impressed. They were better than normal but not all that special. We had placed an order of fried dill pickles to have as an appetizer with a drink but our meal came within 3 minutes of the pickles and that was enough to make me not want to return. I'm not a happy camper when stuff like that happens, and I was surprised because we didn't place our meal orders until quite a while after we placed the order for the appetizer.

267 Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. on Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:21 am

UNCLE JIMMY

The fish ( breaded haddock ) came out great.I dredged them in the corn flour, and then in egg and cream mixture, and then in bread crumbs with a hand full or corn meal added.

Tina fried sauerkraut with onions and pepper to eat with the perogi.

268 Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:42 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

2014-04-26 18:33:39

I've got two home made pizza's ready to go in the oven.
The girls ( Tina and friend Mary ) went to the 5 pm Mass so that they don't have to rush tomorrow AM...

I have extra dough, so I just chilled it in the refrigerator. We can have pizza tuesday or wednesday. I even have some leftover sauce.
What a nice day! 58º and breezy.

269 Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. on Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:46 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Have No Clue what to make for supper??

I am wishing for ham and bean soup...and then again, I could go for some cheese burgers and baked beans.
It's 50º out and windy; so that strikes out grilling. Maybe later, the wind will cease?
Grilled burgers are way better than pan fried.

270 Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. on Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:12 pm

NormM

I already had this in the smoker yesterday when Charlie reminded me we had been invited to my nephew's house for a Bacon and Bourbon party. I took one slab to the party and the rest went in the refrigerator. This is a picture I took today to show what was in the smoker. The navy beans for Easter first became smoked baked beans then those leftovers became BBQ beans for the ribs and brisket. I used apple wood in the smoker. Ribs were finished in a spicy BBQ sauce that had a little pineapple flavored balsamic vinegar added. It is not good picture. The meats look kind of dry but they weren't.
Slaw is store bought.

For the Bacon and Bourbon party, Cassie made bacon and chocolate chip cookies and bacon wrapped asparagus with a bourbon sauce.

Last edited by NormM on Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

271 Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. on Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:18 pm

Barbara101

Nice Norm..

272 Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. on Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:18 pm

bethk

Admin
Now that is one fine looking plate of BBQ!

Me,,,,,,I would have eaten what was on that plate rather than take the time to store it away.....

but that's just me....

lol

273 Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. on Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:20 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I already had this in the smoker when Charlie reminded me we had been invited to my cousins house for a Bacon and Bourbon party.  I took one slab to the party and the rest went in the refrigerator.  This is just a picture I took today to show what was in the smoker.  The navy beans for Easter first became smoked baked beans then those leftovers became BBQ beans for the ribs and brisket.

Looks great Norm. Nice Smoke Ring on the meat.

I got the hankerin for beans now!
The ham is still in the ham taker, and it is a week old today.
I don't like the idea of eating it, buit it is well cooked and was smoked.
IDK? I'll have the meat lady check it out with her extra sensitive smell sense.
If not... the turkey buzzards can have it!

274 Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. on Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:23 pm

bethk

Admin
I had a sandwich for my lunch....wasn't really hungry for a real meal. Dane must have been snacking when I wasn't looking because he didn't want anything either....

SO..........It's BARB'S FAULT :::::

275 Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. on Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:26 pm

Barbara101

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum