Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

APRIL..Whats Cooking..

+7
Niagara Visitor
Imelda HL
Bugster2
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
Barbara101
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 14]

126APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 Empty Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:42 am

NormM

NormM

The recipe said the sauerkraut would be ready in as little as three days but it took a week, then it went in the refrigerator for another couple of weeks. It was crispy and salty. Not as good as my Aunts but she canned hers and it did not have as much crunch.

Thanks Barbara.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

127APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 Empty Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:34 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Imelda - expand on how you did your calamari, please.  Did you start with frozen?  What did you use for the breading

I bought frozen calamari, it has been cleaned and cut in rings.. I thawed, sprinkled some lemon juice and salt, let them sit then drain them, coated in flour ( mixed with salt, garlic and onion powder ), shook off the excess flour, dipped in beaten egg, then coated them in mixture of panko and breadcrumbs, one by one ( it took me 20 minutes to coat them  Rolling Eyes  ), I let them sit in my fridge for an hour in an uncovered plate, then deep fried them in small batches, only for a minute each batch... oh.. they were so good.. I rarely cooked them because I've never succeeded, I gave up until last week when I saw a clean and nice package with a good price  Very Happy 

we are going to have grilled pork chops, Dirk is in charge, Imarinated with sweet soy sauce, ponzu sauce, Worchesterchise sauce and minced garlic.. Dirk is going to roast some green Hatch chilies too

128APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 Empty Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:07 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:
bethk wrote:Imelda - expand on how you did your calamari, please.  Did you start with frozen?  What did you use for the breading

I bought frozen calamari, it has been cleaned and cut in rings.. I thawed, sprinkled some lemon juice and salt, let them sit then drain them, coated in flour ( mixed with salt, garlic and onion powder ), shook off the excess flour, dipped in beaten egg, then coated them in mixture of panko and breadcrumbs, one by one ( it took me 20 minutes to coat them  Rolling Eyes  ), I let them sit in my fridge for an hour in an uncovered plate, then deep fried them in small batches, only for a minute each batch... oh.. they were so good.. I rarely cooked them because I've never succeeded, I gave up until last week when I saw a clean and nice package with a good price  Very Happy 

we are going to have grilled pork chops, Dirk is in charge, Imarinated with sweet soy sauce, ponzu sauce, Worchesterchise sauce and minced garlic.. Dirk is going to roast some green Hatch chilies too

How nice that Dirk Is the BBQ Cook today!
Umm...I could see the hatch chillies roasting. Look Up!
See my Drone overhead... Hook a chop on the drone so I could try a chop! Very Happy 

129APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 Empty Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:31 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We are having Tina's homemade Pirogies tonight with potato / cheese filling. She made some with prune filling, but for herself. The kids won't eat that kind.
I took pictures as she went through the prep steps, and I will post them later on the food thread section

130APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 Empty Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Just call me Barb.....'cept Barb gets to cook BIG shrimp. AND she gets her shrimp FREE from her grandsons who go out and toss her nets off the end of the dock. OK, so she's got to freeze 'em and then clean & cook 'em, but I'll bet they are 95% sweeter than the ones I bought at Winn Dixie today ~ although they are 'fresh' and not frozen and were caught off Jacksonville (or so they advertise). But I had to pay $11.99 for my pound of little shrimp. Why is it they always look bigger in the case than when you get home & open the package? Man, there were 40 of those little guys that had to be shelled, cleaned & then fried.

But they were good. I'm not complaining (well, yeah, I am, but don't pay any more attention than Dane does.....). He liked the meal. I wanted to use up the leftover rice and thought a pan of fried rice would go nicely with the shrimp.....vegetable & starch all in one dish!

APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 041314

131APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 Empty Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:29 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Wow, Imelda, that sounds like a lot of work.....but worth it if you got the taste you wanted and were craving. I like when we go to a restaurant and they have the fried calamari appetizer and have little sweet pepper rings mixed in, with some sweet chili sauce to dip it into. OMG, so yummy.

Sometime try the buttermilk and corn flour dredge. That's what I used for my shrimp tonight. It's light and crunchy. I had cleaned & drained the shrimps on paper towels and then just gave 'em a splash of buttermilk, just enough to dampen them a bit. Then I tossed them with my fingers in plain Bob's Red Mill corn flour ~ let 'em sit for a couple minutes to let the corn flour absorb the moisture of the buttermilk so the crust stays on the shrimp when they're fried.

Jimmy, I can't wait to see your pics! I'll bet Tina is exhausted. Is there any way to sneak just one prune pierogi on to Jimmy's plate? Hahahahaha....bet that picture would be priceless!

132APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 Empty Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:45 pm

NormM

NormM

Malaysian Fried Chicken, two kinds of Kimche, rice and a dipping sauce.

APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 DSCN1360_zps1407c27b

133APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 Empty Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

YUMMY, Norm.

What did you put in your dipping sauce?

I use to make one for pork pot stickers....really simple. 1 part soy sauce, 1 part water, a couple slices of ginger, a few sesame seeds and a drop or two of sesame oil. Heat for 20 seconds in the microwave and let cool down. Remove the ginger.

Tastes just like the dipping sauce at the restaurant I was first served the pot stickers.

134APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 Empty Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:16 pm

NormM

NormM

The dipping sauce was

1/2 tsp mustard powder
1 1/2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. sugar
1 red chili, crumbled. ( wear gloves or crush under plastic wrap to avoid the hot getting on your hands and perhaps in your eyes.)

135APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 Empty Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:44 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 ChickenThigh072

Eggplant.... grilled first..Then piled up with friends..Throw on some ,have to be used, fresh mozz.And call it dinner.. cheers 

136APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 Empty Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:24 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

kinda an eggplant parm....Barb's way.

It looks really good, even if you did just open the vegetable drawer and ask for volunteers. lol

137APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 Empty Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:01 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Jimmy.. was that your drone flying above us? Dirk almost hit it with a grilled chili  lol! 

Norm.. how did you cook your Malaysian chicken?

Beth.. next time I'll try buttermilk.. I was going to use that instead of egg, but I forgot, and remembered it after I cracked my egg.. no corn flour though, I don't really like it..

D's grilled green chilies

APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 DSCN3020

I covered with foil to let them steamed to make them easier to peel

APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 DSCN3032

my grilled pork chop, sauteed potatoes and kale with onion and wine vinegar for side, and corn

APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 DSCN3026

138APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 Empty Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:23 pm

NormM

NormM

Imelda, the recipe is posted at my website. The kids asked me to post my recipes there because they'd ask about something I cooked in the past and I would not remember how I had changed it.

http://normmatthews.blogspot.com/

139APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 Empty Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:28 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I am having trouble on this site taking forever to connect to, and no redirect.

Every ones food looks good...

Such a great meal day all.

I took pics of the pirogi making, but I have to wait to connect faster to the site.
Tried on two different computers, and using google chrome browser and internet explorer also.

All other sites are fast to open. IDK????

140APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 Empty Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:26 am

JanaAZ

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
I just set up the marble slab and pasta rolling machine for tomorrows "Homemade Pirogi"  
Tina and I are gonna crank them out tomorrow, and the kids are coming over for supper.

Oh, Jimmy, please be the official photographer to document not only the recipe but the steps in making the pirogis.  We haven't had a good tutorial in a long time and I know Tina's dough comes out super tender......

For the past 10+ years we have had pierogi day on Palm Sunday. We didn't do it this year :-(. If Jimmy didn't take photos, I think I have photos of the process that I can post.

141APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 Empty Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:15 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I am having trouble on this site taking forever to connect to, and no redirect.

That was me Saturday. ALL DAY. I could have have taken a nap  Sleep Sleep 

We may be a small group But our food is big time  APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 4137497845 

142APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 Empty Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:28 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:I am having trouble on this site taking forever to connect to, and no redirect.

That was me Saturday. ALL DAY. I could have have taken a nap  Sleep Sleep 

We may be a small group But our food is big time  APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 4137497845 

The site is slow and I guess using three different computers, and having no trouble with no other websites. Just wondering if I am the only one??... Writing this, I cannot set the font size or color etc, because it is not shown. wierd!

143APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 Empty Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:51 am

NormM

NormM

I have not noticed any problems

144APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 Empty Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I have not noticed any problems

Thanks Norm....

Once I am on your post...I can click on your link to the blog, and it will connect in an instant.

I used Windows 7....Windows 8...and ... Windows Vista....

145APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 Empty Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:06 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

IT's FIXED!!! all by itself. Let me check the other computer... APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 2787578702 

Norm...did you wave your magic wand??? hahahahaha  lol! 

146APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 Empty Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:14 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

No, Jimmy, I fixed it.

Well, not really. I just wanted you to think I was smart!

APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 2876911673 

147APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 Empty Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:26 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

If I do not empty out the file box & cache every day this laptop slows down.Win7..

148APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 Empty Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

if it's still fixed, Jimmy, I'm droolin' just sittin' here waitin' for the pics of pierogi making day.....

just sayin'

149APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 Empty Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:if it's still fixed, Jimmy, I'm droolin' just sittin' here waitin' for the pics of pierogi making day.....

just sayin'

SOONS AS THE FILM gets developed and and and I get some time later...the pics and recipe will follow!

Geesh!... I forgot, I froze the rest of the rogies and I have to package and vacuum seal them yet!!!

150APRIL..Whats Cooking.. - Page 6 Empty Re: APRIL..Whats Cooking.. Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, get on it! If you had taken the film to the closest Walgreen's instead of all the way on the other side of town you'd have the pics to put up on your wall by now.....

hahahahahahaha

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum