Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Baked Whole Fish question.....answer if you can!

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

bethk

Admin
I watched Jacques & Julia on PBS today ~ it was an episode all about salmon....Barb loved it (IF she watched....).

One dish they did was a baked whole Artic Char, a beautiful Alaskan type of salmon without scales.

Julia removed the gills and then put some shallots, fresh thyme sprigs and s&p in the cavity, oiled the outside and baked uncovered in a 400° oven until done. The test for doneness was to pull the top fin, which, when properly done, pull off with ease.

Jacques then simply pulled the skin off and proceeded to filet out the flesh, leaving all the bones intact....he always makes it look SO easy.

So, my question for any who might know....

If you have a lovely fresh whole fish and it has scales, is it possible to simply bake the fish in the same way, in a hot oven, without going to the trouble of removing the scales....as long as you are going to skin the fish when it's cooked?

Or, will the scales separate from the skin and turn into a nasty (and not so tasty) mess?

Barbara101

I watched Jacques & Julia on PBS today ~ it was an episode all about salmon....Barb loved it (IF she watched....).

Nope my Julia is baking. She had on some Big wig french chef Michael Bouchard.I lost interest & was cleaning the carpet. Love Ming but he has on that Todd English   Guess my pBS is different then yours. Oh & BTW it has been a really really long time since I made a whole fish.No way am I messin with cleaning one or scraping scales.Sorry..

bethk

Admin
Yeah, but my question is...will the scales stay intact on the skin when it bakes or will they bake off and leave you with a huge inedible mess if you bake the fish whole with the skin AND scales?

Any idea?

Crybaby

Beth, i'm pretty sure they stay on the fish while cooking. Especially since you're not moving the fish around while cooking.

bethk

Admin
I don't know why I'm asking right now.....Dane hasn't gone out fishing yet, although it's on his 'to-do' list. I guess I just want to be prepared in case he brings home a meal on a hook.

Crybaby

•If you bring home a fish filet or whole fish and realize it still has scales on it, don’t dismay — just don’t eat the skin. (Unless, of course, you want to scale it yourself.) The scales won’t affect the cooking at all, so you can cook your fish normally. (In fact, in Southern cuisine there’s a traditional fisherman’s dish in which the fish is cooked with the scales on and the skin is simply not eaten.)

Beth, the above seems to be the consensus of many sites on the Internet if that helps...

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum