Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

St. Patrick Day

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26 Re: St. Patrick Day on Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:03 pm

bethk

Admin
That's some serious good lookin' beef there, Jimmy. Tina got great deals on 'em.

27 Re: St. Patrick Day on Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:02 pm

JanaAZ

Here's our corned beef. I made it in a clay cooker, then made a glaze and roasted it until the glaze got baked in.  

And here's what I served my hubby:  

I can't believe I'm still not able to eat beef, so now hubby gets to eat it all by himself.

28 Re: St. Patrick Day on Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:14 pm

Barbara101

close as I come to corned beef,cabbage & potato's.  

29 Re: St. Patrick Day on Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:53 pm

bethk

Admin
Oh, Jana....to cook it and smell it and not be able to eat it. You're a better woman than I !

But there's nothing better than a home cooked corned beef. I've had it twice at the local Jewish Deli and it's OK, but the home cooked is better. I've never glazed one before. I now want to try that and try the pastrami baked method.

Barb - you're too funny! But you got all the components there!

30 Re: St. Patrick Day on Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:35 pm

JanaAZ

Oh, Beth, I've been making my hubby all kinds of great meals that I can't eat right now. Steak, pasta, flank steak...just to name a few. I get my teeny tiny serving of cold chicken and he bets a big honking steak (or corned beef). I don't care, though. It will be worth it.

31 Re: St. Patrick Day on Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:20 am

Bugster2

The prices for the flat cut were $2.99/lb so I didn't buy one. I have actually only made one corned beef in my life and that was a point cut. It was awful. Way too salty and tons of fat. Is it best to corn your own beef or is there a way to make one that is already corned taste good. Is the flat cut the best?

32 Re: St. Patrick Day on Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:03 am

Barbara101

Bugster2 wrote:The prices for the flat cut were $2.99/lb so I didn't buy one. I have actually only made one corned beef in my life and that was a point cut. It was awful. Way too salty and tons of fat. Is it best to corn your own beef or is there a way to make one that is already corned taste good. Is the flat cut the best?

It is/was almost $4@lb here.Overpriced & overrated.JMO.I would rather have a nice steak or heck even a grilled burger ..Not a fan of corned beef.Altho I do like corned beef hash fried crispy with poached egg on top  cheers 

33 Re: St. Patrick Day on Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:49 am

bethk

Admin
Bugster2 wrote:The prices for the flat cut were $2.99/lb so I didn't buy one. I have actually only made one corned beef in my life and that was a point cut. It was awful. Way too salty and tons of fat. Is it best to corn your own beef or is there a way to make one that is already corned taste good. Is the flat cut the best?

Every corned beef I've purchased has had a thick fat cap on it. I favor the flat because I think it has more meat, but it's just a personal preference - both are similar enough for my tastes so I go with what I can afford. I put the brisket in a pot with the seasoning packet of spices and cover with water and simmer for 3 - 4 hours. Then I remove the beef, strain the liquid and pour it back over the hot beef. Allow it to cool and then store in the refrigerator until you want to eat it. Cooling it in the cooking liquid allows it to hold together better when slicing IMO. Since it's cooked in a pot of water most of the salt is simmered out of the beef. Again, just personal taste.

34 Re: St. Patrick Day on Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:17 pm

NormM

If you make your own and shorten the curing time, it can taste less salty but it might also taste a little more like roast beef. If you get a good corned beef in a bag and put it in hot water for an hour or so, it will draw out some of the salt. Drain the water and then simmer in fresh hot water. Good corned beef won't be as cheap as store brands.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum