Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

27c @ lb.

+2
bethk
Barbara101
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

127c @  lb. Empty 27c @ lb. Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:19 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

sure cabbage is on sale..However corned beef is not. 27c @  lb. 2855670339 Guess I will buy a couple heads of cabbage.. 27c @  lb. 3593629538 

Actually I have not & will not be buying corned beef anyway.Have not bought one in years & years. And Years...and years.

Maybe I will buy some deli corned beef for a sandwich  27c @  lb. 3602300868 

227c @  lb. Empty Re: 27c @ lb. Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:59 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm gets a brisket and does the "corn-ing" himself. Maybe he will post his recipe / method for us again. I know it's a fairly long (although "hands-off") process. It might be fun if you really want corned beef.

I'm going to check out the already prepped ones at Sam's Club in case they are inexpensive. I know the last few years I've picked up the ones at Meijer's or Kroger's for under $10 for a good sized flat with very little fat. I usually bought an extra 3 or 4 to stash in the freezer to have at other times of the year at those prices. Down here in The Villages I haven't seen any for less than $18 - $20 and there's no way I'll pay that.

The only beef I see that seems reasonable in the stores I usually shop is boneless short ribs on sale - around $5-$6 for a package that's large enough for a meal & a lunch for the two of us.

327c @  lb. Empty Re: 27c @ lb. Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:59 am

NormM

NormM

Corned beef is selling in New York for $1.71- 1.80/ lb. Here it is on sale for $3.49/lb.  It takes about two weeks to make corned beef the way I do it but last year I did get a really small piece and do  it in one week.  Brisket isn't cheaper than ready made corned beef though. It is better, IMO

For the last few years I have been using this one from Martha Stewart. I use canning salt and Tender Quick instead of pink salt.

Here, the traditional Irish meal of corned beef and cabbage is supplemented with turnips, carrots, and boiled potatoes. Serve it with a loaf of freshly baked Irish soda bread.
INGREDIENTS
Serves 8.
• FOR THE BRINE
• 2 quarts water
• 1 cup coarse salt
• 1 tablespoon pink curing salt
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
• 1 teaspoon mustard seeds, crushed
• 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, crushed
• 1 cinnamon stick, crushed
• 4 dried bay leaves, crushed
• 8 whole cloves
• FOR THE CORNED BEEF
• 5 pounds flat-cut beef brisket
• 1 medium onion, halved
• 1 medium celery stalk, halved
• 1 medium carrot, peeled, halved
• 1 pound baby turnips, peeled, trimmed
• 1 pound baby carrots, peeled, trimmed
• 1 medium head cabbage, cut into 8 wedges
• 1 pound small red potatoes
• Dijon mustard, for serving
DIRECTIONS
1. Make the brine: Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Add salts, sugar, and spices; remove from heat, and stir until salts and sugar dissolve. Let cool.
2. Make the corned beef: Place brisket in a nonreactive container just large enough to hold it. Pour cooled brine over meat. Place 2 small plates on top to keep meat submerged; cover, and refrigerate for 2 weeks.

3. Rinse brisket; discard brine. Place in a large pot. Add enough water to cover by 2 inches. Add onion, celery, and halved carrot, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until very tender, 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
4. Set a steamer in a large saucepan. Add enough water to reach the bottom, and bring to a boil. Add turnips. Reduce heat, cover, and steam until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat with baby carrots, steaming 10 to 12 minutes. Add to turnips.
5. Transfer corned beef to a cutting board. Tent with foil, and let rest for 30 minutes. Discard remaining solids from broth, then bring to a boil. Add cabbage and potatoes, and simmer until tender, about 25 minutes. Add turnips and carrots, and cook until warmed through. Transfer vegetables to a platter; reserve broth.
6. Trim excess fat from beef. Slice thinly against grain, and transfer to platter. Serve with broth and mustard.

Last edited by NormM on Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:06 pm; edited 2 times in total

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

427c @  lb. Empty Re: 27c @ lb. Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:03 pm

NormM

NormM

I am thinking about cooking it with this recipe instead this year

Serves 6-8

1 (3 and 1/2 pound) corned beef brisket
2 (12 ounce ) bottles of dark lager beer or whatever beer you have
2 cups - to cover
10 black peppercorns
6 whole allspice
2 bay leaves
12 sprigs of fresh parsley
2 teaspoons salt
3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
3 whole leeks, sliced lengthwise to clean but left whole, optional
1 medium yellow onion peeled and sliced
1/4 pound large carrots, cut into large pieces
1/4 pound small red potatoes
1 pound turnips, peeled and quartered
1 head of cabbage cut into wedges of secured with toothpicks
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

527c @  lb. Empty Re: 27c @ lb. Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:04 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

^^^^^^^  27c @  lb. 2453703928 

627c @  lb. Empty Re: 27c @ lb. Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:09 pm

NormM

NormM

Dcarch- remember him? says to trim off the fat cap and make cracklins with it.

727c @  lb. Empty Re: 27c @ lb. Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

but don't you have to Sous-vide it and then burn curly-que marks in it with a special made iron you make in your own shop and finally bake it at 789° oven that you have modified so it gets hot enough without burning down your house?

gosh but I miss him....

827c @  lb. Empty Re: 27c @ lb. Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:20 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

NormM wrote:Dcarch- remember him? says to trim off the fat cap and make cracklins with it.

yeah & Beth & I both asked him here. I know I asked him 2 times.bet he was the one who told Rich lol I don't care.But I did enjoy him..

My Mom made those , gosh greasy mess.I could not even eat them.

927c @  lb. Empty Re: 27c @ lb. Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:25 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

we have it here Safeway's .37 cents/lbs and $1.89/lbs for Corned beef.. I'm going to get some.. and I'm going to buy some ham, 98 cents/lbs for ham tomorrow on one day sale in our local store, now I'm wondering how I'm going to fit them in my freezer  Shocked Rolling Eyes 

1027c @  lb. Empty Re: 27c @ lb. Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:15 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:but don't you have to Sous-vide it and then burn curly-que marks in it with a special made iron you make in your own shop and finally bake it at 789° oven that you have modified so it gets hot enough without burning down your house?

gosh but I miss him....

Has he been told about this forum? When the other forum shut down I went looking for another and actually found him on another site.

Oops! I missed the one about him being asked already.

1127c @  lb. Empty Re: 27c @ lb. Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:21 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Bugster2 wrote:
bethk wrote:but don't you have to Sous-vide it and then burn curly-que marks in it with a special made iron you make in your own shop and finally bake it at 789° oven that you have modified so it gets hot enough without burning down your house?

gosh but I miss him....

Has he been told about this forum? When the other forum shut down I went looking for another and actually found him on another site.

Oops! I missed the one about him being asked already.

He is on Every forum there is lol.yeah I asked him & I asked Chairlady & several others. They chose not to come.Some I would not give the stink off a f&&t.If they would have found us, we would have removed them  geek 

1227c @  lb. Empty Re: 27c @ lb. Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:09 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Barbara101 wrote:However corned beef is not. Guess I will buy a couple heads of cabbage..

Actually I have not & will not be buying corned beef anyway.Have not bought one in years & years. And Years...and years.

Look for sales (grin) after St. Paddy's Day, B. It's super when grilled indirectly on the Weber. We have smoked it, too, but then we usually throw it on the grill to crisp up any fat that's on it. Considering the price of beef lately, it's not too much locally. Plus, now that I make such good corned beef hash (questions answered here about my recipe), we like having leftover for hash.

I make a butter and some brown sugar sauce to put on it which Brian just loves.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum