Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.


You are not connected. Please login or register

March, 2014 ~ What's cooking in the kitchen?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 5 of 13]

101 Re: March, 2014 ~ What's cooking in the kitchen? on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:10 am

Barbara101

avatar
well my thrown together dinner was great ..I made a pot of rice in my ricemaker.Sauted green pepper,onion,garlic ,s/p dash of Cajun spice.in OO.Then kielbasa.Half a can of mushed Plum tomato.Went to add beans   no red kidneys...So I used white ones lol.Served over rice.   

was watching Columbo forgot pic..Leftover for lunch...

Man I need to bite the bullet & go to the store..  

102 Re: March, 2014 ~ What's cooking in the kitchen? on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:23 am

bethk

avatar
Admin
Sometimes it's easier to motivate yourself to get going to the store if you decide you want to make something, REALLY want something, and you have to get whatever special ingredients.  Once you're out there it's not so bad.  It's the part from *stop* to "go* that's most difficult.

I know....how about woven bacon BLT sandwiches? Doesn't that sound good? You gotta get tomatoes and lettuce (knowing YOU, there's probably pounds of bacon in the freezer).

See if this helps:



(OK, so I couldn't find the woven bacon one.....but you get the idea)

103 Re: March, 2014 ~ What's cooking in the kitchen? on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:56 am

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
bethk wrote:Sounds like there was something for everyone.  

True.... but Tina even said.. the chickens could have baked longer in the oven at the store.
I knew right away, when the legs would not pull off the bird.

104 Re: March, 2014 ~ What's cooking in the kitchen? on Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:37 am

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
bethk wrote:Sometimes it's easier to motivate yourself to get going to the store if you decide you want to make something, REALLY want something, and you have to get whatever special ingredients.  Once you're out there it's not so bad.  It's the part from *stop* to "go* that's most difficult.

I know....how about woven bacon BLT sandwiches?  Doesn't that sound good?  You gotta get tomatoes and lettuce (knowing YOU, there's probably pounds of bacon in the freezer).

See if this helps:



(OK, so I couldn't find the woven bacon one.....but you get the idea)

We just went through the hmm and hawin for what to make for supper. My mind is made up!... Chili Dogs with Greek Chili Recipe that I am making today.
Tina said,"Back to weight watchers dinners for her. We both know the reason, but we don't mention it.
She just left for the stores to get the dinners for her Uncle. She makes the trip south, tomorrow.

I think it would be better for both of us, to eat separately so she can not be enticed watching what I eat and visa Versa.

Would you believe we have Not ONE Onion in this house!!
I need onion to cook the Greek style chili sauce ... Grrrrr!

Tina just came back with the corn FLOUR, and I can't remember what or who (I think it was Beth) that mentioned to add it or use it instead of?? in ?? or for ??.
Beth...can you refresh my thinking???

I thought it was for adding to breading for frying chicken or steak??
Tina said, It was for pizza on the bottom....???

H...E...L...P...

105 Re: March, 2014 ~ What's cooking in the kitchen? on Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:30 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
It's for deep frying. I use buttermilk and then a toss into dry corn flour to fry my fish or shrimp or clams. Makes a super light coating. I learned the trick when I researched how to get fried clams to be more clam than breading. Most places don't even use anything but the wet clams in the corn flour before they drop them into the fryer.

I really like to cut my cod into "fingers", a dip into buttermilk (full fat) and then a roll around in plain corn flour ~ no s&p or seasoning. Then either pan fry or deep fry. Light & crispy.

106 Re: March, 2014 ~ What's cooking in the kitchen? on Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:16 pm

Bugster2

avatar
It is hot here today, somewhere in the 80's so we are having pizza pasta salad and grilled chicken breasts with white bbq sauce. My pasta salad needed cubed mozzarella and all I had was grated so I took some grated and microwaved it till it was melted. I then chilled it in the fridge and cut it into cubes.

107 Re: March, 2014 ~ What's cooking in the kitchen? on Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:32 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
bethk wrote:It's for deep frying.  I use buttermilk and then a toss into dry corn flour to fry my fish or shrimp or clams.  Makes a super light coating.  I learned the trick when I researched how to get fried clams to be more clam than breading.  Most places don't even use anything but the wet clams in the corn flour before they drop them into the fryer.  

I really like to cut my cod into "fingers", a dip into buttermilk (full fat) and then a roll around in plain corn flour ~ no s&p or seasoning.  Then either pan fry or deep fry.  Light & crispy.

Ahhhh! That's what I thought Beth. For Frying...
Tina was like all excited..."I got the corn flour that Beth said to put on the pizza bottom!" .... I was like, Uhhhh! I don't think so!"
Yah Yah Yah she said. .....

hahahahaha.... wrong!

Now my mouth is watering for cod fish with the corn flour.

Thanks Beth....BTW...the house smells good. The Greek Hot Dog and Hamburger Chili Sauce is simmering down slowly!

108 Re: March, 2014 ~ What's cooking in the kitchen? on Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:37 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
Bugster2 wrote:It is hot here today, somewhere in the 80's so we are having pizza pasta salad and grilled chicken breasts with white bbq sauce. My pasta salad needed cubed mozzarella and all I had was grated so I took some grated and microwaved it till it was melted. I then chilled it in the fridge and cut it into cubes.

How clever!

Would you expand on your chicken with white bbq sauce, please? I've read about it but never had it. Do you put it on and let it caramelize like the ketchup based sauces?

109 Re: March, 2014 ~ What's cooking in the kitchen? on Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:40 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
I'm trying to cut back on carbs ((yet again)) and figured I could pull off a "quick one" with Dane if I gave him a baked sweet potato instead of white. We'll see how many times I can get him off track with the subs of sweet potatoes and squash....oh well, every little bit helps. Fortunately, he has no problem with the Swiss chard, although he's not been a fan of the braised kale. Gotta remember to pick up some Brussel Sprouts.

110 Re: March, 2014 ~ What's cooking in the kitchen? on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Hot Diggity Dog.

Had Chili Dogs Tonight... Ummmm
BBQ Beans and Potato Chips ( Tina Had )





Then We Had a Hot Dog Eatin Contest!!

I Won! ...
Darn.... We are sure a couple of Sick Puppy's!!





111 Re: March, 2014 ~ What's cooking in the kitchen? on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:44 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
YOU won a hot dog eating contest against Tina ????

Who woulda seen that comin' ???

    

112 Re: March, 2014 ~ What's cooking in the kitchen? on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:47 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
bethk wrote:YOU won a hot dog eating contest against Tina ????

Who woulda seen that comin' ???

    

hahahahahahaha.... She took two bites, and she was done!

I ate her 2/3rds that she left.
Tina is not one for hot dogs. She got sick on one when she was a kid.

I think I feel sick now! I am having burnt toast to settle my tummy now!

113 Re: March, 2014 ~ What's cooking in the kitchen? on Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:36 pm

Barbara101

avatar



think this a rib eye? I should mark the meats when I repackage them  Rolling Eyes Anyway. I have plenty left for something else.

82` today..nice for Tuesday too.Ms Cat lay all sprawled out the patio table for most of the day.

114 Re: March, 2014 ~ What's cooking in the kitchen? on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:30 pm

Bugster2

avatar
bethk wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:It is hot here today, somewhere in the 80's so we are having pizza pasta salad and grilled chicken breasts with white bbq sauce. My pasta salad needed cubed mozzarella and all I had was grated so I took some grated and microwaved it till it was melted. I then chilled it in the fridge and cut it into cubes.

How clever!  

Would you expand on your chicken with white bbq sauce, please?  I've read about it but never had it.  Do you put it on and let it caramelize like the ketchup based sauces?

This is the recipe I used:
http://www.thebittenword.com/thebittenword/2010/05/grilled-chicken-with-white-barbecue-sauce.html

The one thing I do change is that I grill the chicken with both the rub and sauce on it. I prefer it this way instead of using it as a dip. Another thing that makes a great white bbq sauce is Girard's Creamy Caesar dressing.

115 Re: March, 2014 ~ What's cooking in the kitchen? on Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:45 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Barbara101 wrote:


think this a rib eye? I should mark the meats when I repackage them  Rolling Eyes Anyway. I have plenty left for something else.

82` today..nice for Tuesday too.Ms Cat lay all sprawled out the patio table for most of the day.

Barb...your mystery meat looks great!
You gotta get one of those purple stamps to label the meats!

116 Re: March, 2014 ~ What's cooking in the kitchen? on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:02 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
I have brain fade trying to decide what to make for supper today!
Tina is on her way to her uncles in Atlantic county NJ. nice thing is her brother is going to meet her there.

She said to me...make something simple, and I said...ok, we will have bologna on rye.

I really have no clue what to make...
I did have a small thought of rice and ?? or maybe pasta fagiole ....
Only thing is we are all beaned out from yesterday!

I now just thought.... a split meal.
For Tina .... eggplant parm .... and for me, muscles and broccoli with stewed tomatoes over rice.

117 Re: March, 2014 ~ What's cooking in the kitchen? on Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:30 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
Brain Strain is a terrible disease! Glad you found a cure early, Jimmy, so we didn't have to have an intervention for you....

I put a small piece of steak in the refrigerator last night - half a strip steak. It was thawed perfectly (still just a bit firm) so I could slice it thin to put in a marinade for a stir fry tonight. I used a marinade based on Norm's bulgogi, well, kind of. I had some pears that needed to be eaten so I took half of one and grated it on the microplane to use as part of the sweetener with soy, sesame, rice vinegar, ginger, etc. It sure smells good.

Then I went and snipped off all the pea pods that were big enough to be eaten...got just enough to use for the two of us. So, supper tonight will be beef & pea stir fry. I've got some baby bok choy I bought a week ago (still look ok....) and I forgot about. It should be good no matter what I toss in it.

118 Re: March, 2014 ~ What's cooking in the kitchen? on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:03 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
bethk wrote:Brain Strain is a terrible disease!  Glad you found a cure early, Jimmy, so we didn't have to have an intervention for you....

I put a small piece of steak in the refrigerator last night - half a strip steak.  It was thawed perfectly (still just a bit firm) so I could slice it thin to put in a marinade for a stir fry tonight.  I used a marinade based on Norm's bulgogi, well, kind of.  I had some pears that needed to be eaten so I took half of one and grated it on the microplane to use as part of the sweetener with soy, sesame, rice vinegar, ginger, etc.  It sure smells good.  

Then I went and snipped off all the pea pods that were big enough to be eaten...got just enough to use for the two of us.  So, supper tonight will be beef & pea stir fry.  I've got some baby bok choy I bought a week ago (still look ok....) and I forgot about.  It should be good no matter what I toss in it.

Just finished putting a eggplant parm together. 7" round pyrex about 4 inches hhigh.

The kids are coming tomorrow for chicken (gulp) soup that Tina Made with the two chicken carcasses from the leftovers the other day.

Warm as heck outside...58º ... I'm starting to sweat. After tomorrow it goes back to the teens for lows. Yay! I can't take the heat.
It's too soon to be 58.

119 Re: March, 2014 ~ What's cooking in the kitchen? on Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:23 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
Well, I'm pleased. This was one of the best beef stir fries I've made in a long time. The pea pods were so fresh & sweet, a nice compliment to the sweet beef.

120 Re: March, 2014 ~ What's cooking in the kitchen? on Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:35 pm

Barbara101

avatar
that looks great..I planted pea pods.  Evil or Very Mad  they went to that place that pea pods go to die.....I give up....

121 Re: March, 2014 ~ What's cooking in the kitchen? on Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:36 pm

Barbara101

avatar
I have not even thought about what to eat lol.Maybe steak on a salad.

122 Re: March, 2014 ~ What's cooking in the kitchen? on Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
The beef stir fry looks really good Beth!
I petered out on making rice today. I threw the eggplant in the oven, and I decided I will eat that too.

Today I was a carpenter fixing a cabinet that was broken; and then Serve-Pro , Ultra vacuuming carpeting and throw rugs.

I just wolved down a 1/2 of a ham and mayo sandwich to hold me over till supper. The eggplant will be done in 15 minutes, and Tina is on way home and will be here in 45 minutes.

123 Re: March, 2014 ~ What's cooking in the kitchen? on Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:43 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
I'll bet she'll be smilin' when she smells what's for supper!

124 Re: March, 2014 ~ What's cooking in the kitchen? on Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:07 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
bethk wrote:I'll bet she'll be smilin' when she smells what's for supper!

Oh! She's smilin already...she knows what I made, but she always says,"Wow! The house smells good, and I smell it outside!

I don't smell it because I'm constantly breathing the smells.

I know one thing...she will crash on the recliner tonight.

6 1/2 hours driving today, plus shopping and washing clothes and stripping bedsheets for uncle. She' gonna be pooped!

125 Re: March, 2014 ~ What's cooking in the kitchen? on Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:13 pm

Barbara101

avatar

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum