Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Asparagus Soup

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Asparagus Soup on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:51 pm

JanaAZ

I love asparagus and when they're in season, we buy them a lot. After trimming, we throw out about 1/2 of the stalks. I decided to make some asparagus soup with the ones I trimmed today. Yum. It came out really good and basically was made with stuff I would throw out.

I didn't write up a recipe, but basically I trimmed the stems, cooked them in chicken broth for about 20 minutes. Ground them down in the Vitamix and placed them back in the pan with the remaining broth. I sweated some onions, then made a roux in the same pan. Back in the Vitamix, then into the soup. A little salt, pepper and lemon juice. Yum!!!

I'll take a photo and post later.

2 Re: Asparagus Soup on Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:11 pm

NormM

Sounds delicious.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

3 Re: Asparagus Soup on Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:35 pm

bethk

Admin
Jana, sometimes you can toss in some spinach to help "green" it up - I like to add a spoon of sour cream at the end, in my bowl.

4 Re: Asparagus Soup on Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:12 am

Crybaby

It really does sound delicious, Jana. I love asparagus -- I don't think I trim them as much as others do, though. The ones in the store just don't seem to require the peeling that most people do or that I read about in recipes. And they come out tender for me, too.

I love the idea of the soup, though. Am anxious to try it AND see your photo.

5 Re: Asparagus Soup on Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:17 pm

JanaAZ

Ok, I tried to post it but I can't post photos from my desktop or phone. Is there some way to do it? I don't want to host it on the internet.

6 Re: Asparagus Soup on Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:25 pm

bethk

Admin
I do not believe you can post from your personal computer. I've only been able to post what's in my photobucket account.

Anyone else know how it can be done?

7 Re: Asparagus Soup on Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:03 pm

JanaAZ

I posted from my facebook account one time, but you guys couldn't see it.

Well this sucks since I don't use photo sharing accounts.

8 Re: Asparagus Soup on Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:00 pm

JanaAZ

Hmmmm, since I've figured out how to get my photos to show, here's a photo of the soup:

Here's the recipe if you want it:

http://www.examiner.com/article/use-stalks-to-make-the-best-asparagus-soup-ever

9 Re: Asparagus Soup on Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:21 pm

bethk

Admin
There are so many good things to make soup from, parts of vegetables we often toss. This soup is a wonderful example of all the flavor that comes "for free" !

Looks great, Jana!

10 Re: Asparagus Soup on Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:29 am

Imelda HL

sounds so good Jana.. I think I'm going to make it for my meatless friday tomorrow, I still have 1 lbs of asparagus I bought last week, gotta cook them soon.. just one question, what you eat it with?

11 Re: Asparagus Soup on Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:sounds so good Jana.. I think I'm going to make it for my meatless friday tomorrow, I still have 1 lbs of asparagus I bought last week, gotta cook them soon.. just one question, what you eat it with?

You Eat it With Asparagus You Silly Goose! ... LOL

I would eat it with a loaf of bread and butter.......   

12 Re: Asparagus Soup on Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:32 am

Imelda HL

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:sounds so good Jana.. I think I'm going to make it for my meatless friday tomorrow, I still have 1 lbs of asparagus I bought last week, gotta cook them soon.. just one question, what you eat it with?

I made some today and grilled cheese sandwich for my DH today.. he loves it.. a good meal for meatless Friday

13 Re: Asparagus Soup on Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:48 am

UNCLE JIMMY

confused 
Imelda HL wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

I made some today and grilled cheese sandwich for my DH today.. he loves it.. a good meal for meatless Friday

We were almost gonna have griddled cheese and tomato sandwiches, but I opened my big mouth, and mentioned pizza! Then Tina said..."No Not Pizza take out, YOUR Pizza! Please, Please make pizza!

I made pizza!

Just a few minutes ago.... I had some meatballs and melted provolone cheese sandwich I made for Tina, and we watched the clock,,,click click 12:00 Midnight, and she bit the sandwich...Ummmmm she said, so good!

I fried Bacon for tomorrow's breakfast, and I was eating the fat on the bacon.
Oh So Good. Tina said," You Better have no sins, or God will turn you into a pig!" .... LOL... I said,"That's OK; because then I could eat a lot!"

14 Re: Asparagus Soup on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:11 am

UNCLE JIMMY

I would bet a nice potato and asparagus soup would be good!...
I better go to sleep or I will get hungry and start cooking something!

15 Re: Asparagus Soup on Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:45 pm

JanaAZ

We ate it alone, but I'd love it with grilled cheese or a salad.

I'm thinking of playing with some that's in the freezer and making a pasta sauce with some grilled veggies in it. I love this stuff just as it is, though.

16 Re: Asparagus Soup on Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:32 pm

bethk

Admin
I was just scrolling through foodgawker.com and saw a post showing white asparagus soup with clams....that sounds just luscious to me, and a way to stretch pricey items into a 'not-so-pricey' meal. Clams are one of those things I'd love to have more often but they are too pricey to make a meal of them alone (we could probably eat dozens between the 2 of us) because there is such a small amount of clam in the shell when they get steamed.

But as an addition to a creamy asparagus soup....what could be easier and a tasty way to stretch my food dollar?

17 Re: Asparagus Soup on Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:14 pm

Niagara Visitor

Local grocery store had asparagus from Mexico on at 99 cents/pound a couple of weeks ago. I made a big batch of cream of asparagus soup. Hubby has never been fond of soups, except Lipton's Chicken noodle out of a box with a couple of cut up wieners in it!

Now that he's in a nursing home, they have taught him to eat soup, for they get some pretty well every day for supper. One night when I was there it was asparagus soup. I asked him how it was, and he said "Better than nothing" and he laughed.

I love soups, could eat one every day!

18 Re: Asparagus Soup on Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:30 pm

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:Now that he's in a nursing home, they have taught him to eat soup, for they get some pretty well every day for supper.  One night when I was there it was asparagus soup.  I asked him how it was, and he said "Better than nothing" and he laughed.!

A sense of humor helps anything go down...

Niagara Visitor wrote:I love soups, could eat one every day!

Me, too, Niagara!  We rented a staffed villa in Montego Bay a couple of times and the cook made homemade soup every day for lunch, along with a salad or sandwich.  It was the highlight of my day -- that along with ordering anything for breakfast (after the normal platter of beautiful ripe fruit and coffee), and cocktails and hors d'oeuvre at sunset.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum