Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Super Bowl

+2
Barbara101
bethk
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Super Bowl Empty Super Bowl Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:28 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, so who's plannin' on making or taking food to a get together and to watch the Super Bowl game? I saw some survey that it was the second biggest eating day (behind Thanksgiving) and the second biggest grilling day (behind 4th of July). Now, while I don't know how true either of those statements are, I do know the relatively small gathering (9 people) Dane and I will be joining will have massive amounts of foods to eat and I, for one, will be the one manning the grill to brown up some chicken wings as requested by my friend, Lyn.

As usual, the gathering will be at her house (as she has the largest home with a huge open-plan living area with multiple televisions). One of their good friends must eat gluten free so his wife is bringing the hot dogs he can eat. I'm taking a good amount of Jimmy's Greek style chili sauce to top them with, along with a big bowl of chopped onions. Lyn's making a big pot of chili. As I said, she's asked me to grill up the wings ~ half will get topped with traditional BBQ sauce and the other half will get the orange juice concentrate/soy treatment. Doesn't make any difference what we do with them, they'll all get eaten!

I'm going to take some homemade caramelized onion/bacon dip with pitas and rice crackers (gluten free), and some carrot & celery sticks, I think.

So, that's just 3 of the 9 people and the contributions....I cannot imagine what else will be there.

I do know we will eat too much but, hey, isn't that what the day is ALL ABOUT?

(oh, yeah, there will be a football game on TV, won't there.....)

2Super Bowl Empty Re: Super Bowl Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:49 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Count me out.. I do not like any sport..I could care less who is playing.

I do plan on grilling tho.. Super Bowl 512660330 

Besides I would not miss Downton Or Sherlock for anything... Super Bowl 3267860543 

Have fun..

3Super Bowl Empty Re: Super Bowl Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:26 pm

JanaAZ

We're watching the game but it's DH's birthday, so we are going to have dinner at home in Phoenix and watch the game (or should I say the commercials). He didn't want others invited. I'm okay with that.

Last year we were in Prescott and coming down to Phx during the game. We recorded things, but skipped the game and watched the commercials. Weird, I know, since it's usually the other way around.

Not a huge fan of Bruno Mars so I don't know how good the halftime show will be.

I found a recipe in the Costco Connections book that I'm going to make for apps. It's Canadian Cauliflower Cheddar Cups. Looks pretty healthy and shouldn't mess up my diet too much. I've been working so hard, I don't want to screw it up for anything....especially Super Bowl.

4Super Bowl Empty Re: Super Bowl Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:17 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:OK, so who's plannin' on making or taking food to a get together and to watch the Super Bowl game?  I saw some survey that it was the second biggest eating day (behind Thanksgiving) and the second biggest grilling day (behind 4th of July).  Now, while I don't know how true either of those statements are, I do know the relatively small gathering (9 people) Dane and I will be joining will have massive amounts of foods to eat and I, for one, will be the one manning the grill to brown up some chicken wings as requested by my friend, Lyn.

As usual, the gathering will be at her house (as she has the largest home with a huge open-plan living area with multiple televisions).  One of their good friends must eat gluten free so his wife is bringing the hot dogs he can eat.  I'm taking a good amount of Jimmy's Greek style chili sauce to top them with, along with a big bowl of chopped onions.  Lyn's making a big pot of chili.  As I said, she's asked me to grill up the wings ~ half will get topped with traditional BBQ sauce and the other half will get the orange juice concentrate/soy treatment.  Doesn't make any difference what we do with them, they'll all get eaten!

I'm going to take some homemade caramelized onion/bacon dip with pitas and rice crackers (gluten free), and some carrot & celery sticks, I think.

So, that's just 3 of the 9 people and the contributions....I cannot imagine what else will be there.

I do know we will eat too much but, hey, isn't that what the day is ALL ABOUT?

(oh, yeah, there will be a football game on TV, won't there.....)

And the best part of the whole day...is the day after! ...No more taking off a day from work, and no more calling in a vacation day or sick day. Every Day is YOUR Day to have and use as you wish. I'm sure Dane will be a Happy Camper!

BTW...it surely sounds like a good time will be in store for everyone! Smile 

5Super Bowl Empty Re: Super Bowl Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:22 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

JanaAZ wrote:We're watching the game but it's DH's birthday, so we are going to have dinner at home in Phoenix and watch the game (or should I say the commercials).  He didn't want others invited.  I'm okay with that.

Last year we were in Prescott and coming down to Phx during the game.  We recorded things, but skipped the game and watched the commercials.  Weird, I know, since it's usually the other way around.

Not a huge fan of Bruno Mars so I don't know how good the halftime show will be.  

I found a recipe in the Costco Connections book that I'm going to make for apps.  It's Canadian Cauliflower Cheddar Cups.  Looks pretty healthy and shouldn't mess up my diet too much.  I've been working so hard, I don't want to screw it up for anything....especially Super Bowl.

Well Well JanaAZ. A happy Birth Day To "DH"... from Tina and Jimmy in NJ. Hope he has a great day, and gets something nice.
I'm sure he won't have to worry about a good meal.

6Super Bowl Empty Re: Super Bowl Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:01 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

All the food was a hit at the Toledo get together! In addition to the caramelized onion/bacon dip with pitas I took, we had another pineapple dip Lyn makes, hot dogs on the grill with Jimmy's Greek style chili sauce, grilled chicken wings with a choice of BBQ sauce or Sticky Orange Glaze, meatballs in sauce, chili with all the toppings and a great assortment of raw vegetables and dips. It wasn't too much (surprisingly) to be completely overwhelming but enough that everyone was able to enjoy all the contributions brought.

I wish I could say everyone had as much fun watching the game as they did eating.....

7Super Bowl Empty Re: Super Bowl Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:30 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Yeah, the game was a bit of a letdown, and reminded me of the games many years ago. We turned it off once Seattle got into the 40s and began watching "Downton Abby," which we were taping with DVR.

I thought Bruno Mars was good but the pairing with the Red Hot Chili Peppers just didn't work. When the Saints played in the Dome for the first time after Hurricane Katrina, we had a super halftime show that seemed like it was a Super Bowl halftime -- we had U2 and Green Day, which was a much better pairing than last night's was. It was a game that no one in New Orleans will ever forget...

8Super Bowl Empty Re: Super Bowl Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:34 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

we did not watch the game at all... we are not a ball game fans  Smile  I was busy in my kitchen cooking the ribs and baking some snow ball cookies for Cake Walk at our church's fiesta.. Dirk was reading or watching Law and Order rerun on and off.. then we went out for our late afternoon stroll.. we walk more than 3 miles, we stopped at Walmart, not surprised at all, the store was calm and nice, no line at the check out, usually it was crazily packed on Sunday afternoons..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum