Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

FEBRUARY 2014: What's Cooking In The KITCHEN?

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 11 of 14]

Bugster2

The three of us split a 3 inch thick rib-eye that I pulled out of the freezer. I made a stilton-madeira sauce to go with it. I will probably be up all night because it was so rich.

bethk

Admin
Imelda HL wrote:
my kind of meal.. I mean.. top everything on the rice and take the plate to the coffee table, eat while watching to TV.. that's us  Embarassed 

Beth did you use raw nuts? I have a piece of chicken breast, I might steal your idea

No, Imelda, these were roasted, salted cashews. I just rinsed the salt off under the tap.

bethk

Admin
Bugster2 wrote:The three of us split a 3 inch thick rib-eye that I pulled out of the freezer. I made a stilton-madeira sauce to go with it. I will probably be up all night because it was so rich.

That sounds like one huge rib eye ! I'll bet it was really good. I love my beef thick so I can get it cooked just the way I like it.

bethk

Admin
NormM wrote:I wasn't planning to cook today but shrimp was on sale then on impulse I got some mussels and then realized I'd better cook them today. I steamed them with butter and a dry white wine.  Shrimp was the Killer Shrimp recipe. Corn was a mistake.. It was frozen and cooked up mushy. I also had some sausage and potatoes.

The meal looks great, Norm. It's been a while since I made that killer shrimp recipe....guess I'll pull it out and see if I've got everything I need for it.

Barbara101

http://www.oldbay.com/Products.aspx

I have a lot of them.Take your pick lol.

wow dinners look great. Imelda you need to send us some asparagus.. I have never ever seen it for that price..Check is in the mail.. lol! Last week I got a handful & it was $4.I mean that is not a lot but then it is.

Barbara101

Looks like what we call Low Country Boil.

I used to have this client ,some big wig , she came from up north somewhere,& was excited to go to a Chamber Commerce dinner.She came back the next week & said how 'awful' it was.Gosh they dumped all this food in the middle of table & we had to eat it with our HANDS..Finally I got a fork.Ghezz it was corn,potatoes,sausage & a bunch of FISH..

I laughed so hard.......I told her well then you would really like having that suck heads crawfish if & when you go NOLA.   

bethk

Admin
It's sad that some people cannot at least be polite when invited to a regional feast. I know one of my favorite things to do is to travel and eat the specials from wherever we happen to be.

Bugster2

I am trying to make brioche burger buns with my bread machine. I just feel too tired to try it with the mixer today. I don't have high hopes but thought I would give it a try. After last night's rib-eye, I took the leftover stilton/madeira sauce and mixed it with some mayo. Very good. We are going to try it on a Father's Office Burger homemade version. Normally I would use a roll but this time I am going to use a brioche bun. The burger is a mix of ground rib-eye and New York steaks. It has arugula, gruyere, caramelized onion/bacon jam and I forget what else. we thought we would try the stilton/mayo sauce with it. Father's Office is a hole-in-the-wall in Santa Monica, CA. We went there once and were the only straight couple in the place. Service was terrible. We were the first in, the first to place our order and the last to be served. We won't go back but their burger was good. I have a copycat recipe I use.

Imelda HL

Bugster.. your burger sounds so good, my mouth is watering just to read this : mix of ground rib-eye and New York steaks  Laughing 

next week my sister in law and her husband will come to visit my PILs, they live in Los Osos, CA.. we have invited them to come and have dinner with us, they have said yes, as well as my other sister in law who lives close by, and I think my PILs are coming too.. now I'm wondering what to serve, American foods or Chinese/Indonesian foods, I can't serve spicy foods as my PIL don't eat them, we just came back from the stores and did not see anything good yet.. decision, decision, decision...
 Question

Barbara101

how about all 3. That way you have something for all.

bethk

Admin
I agree. Make things you can make ahead. Make things you've made often.

Oh, I know....make those beautiful salami pinwheels. Those are impressive looking! And you can make some of your other dishes you are comfortable making.....just put your chili sauce on the side. Pretend I'm there.

LOL

Imelda HL

Thank you Barbara, Beth... Dirk suggests Chinese all out  Shocked  I think he just want to show off his wife's authentic Chinese foods.. I know once in a while they like to go to Chinese restaurants... Beth's cashew chicken is on my mind, maybe some Mongolian beef, some egg rolls, Chop Suey, some cheese rolls or maybe some pot roast also ( I can cook it ahead), and some doggie bags for leftovers

bethk

Admin
Whatever you make, Imelda, I'm sure it will be fabulous!  Just make things that are easy and can be prepped ahead of time so you're not going crazy in the kitchen the whole time they are there ~ they really are coming to visit.

I wanted to make a simple supper so I went with my BLT Pasta.  Very little prep and quick to make.  The toasted/buttered Panko crumbs & bacon are the only thing that needs to be done before you start the spaghetti noodles cooking.  Everything else cooks in the 8 minutes it takes the noodles to cook al dente.  Easy peasy.

I think I got this recipe from a Cuisine At Home magazine.....strange that I don't have it noted.

BLT Pasta

2 Slices Bacon, chopped
1 ½ c. Grape Tomatoes
½ t. Sugar
½ c. Leeks, cleaned & sliced (I use 1 leek, cleaned & sliced white & light green part)
¼ c. White Wine
½ c. Chicken Broth
1 t. Red Wine Vinegar (white wine vinegar works just as well....just not cider vinegar)
¼ t. Red Pepper Flakes
½ t. Fresh Thyme, chopped
2 c. Fresh Baby Spinach  (I use an entire 8 oz. bag)
4 oz. Spaghetti, cooked al dente
1 c. Panko Bread Crumbs
2 T. Butter

Prepare browned buttered Panko crumbs.  Reserve.
Brown bacon, remove & reserve.  Soften leeks, add tomato halves & ½ t. sugar (to caramelize).  
Deglaze with ¼ c. white wine and reduce.  Add ½ c. chicken broth, 1 t. red wine vinegar, ¼ t. red pepper flakes and ½ t. chopped fresh thyme.  Return bacon to pan.  Add cooked pasta and stir to combine.  Add fresh spinach and toss to combine.
Plate and top with ¼ c. buttered & browned Panko crumbs per serving.
Serve immediately.  4 servings

Barbara101

same sauce on chicken breast..

265 Re: FEBRUARY 2014: What's Cooking In The KITCHEN? on Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:03 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina was in South Jersey to supply her uncle with food and dinners and his medications etc. I don't know how she does it. She is on her way home....so lets say 3.5 hours because of the rain and fog, I should see her.
I have Her wish for meatballs in tomato sauce all done. I also made her Chicken soup and I added Matzo-Beef meatballs. I just got a crazy idea to mix the ground beef, with Matzo Meal. They are good.

For dessert, I made 4 cans of Banana Bread in 16 oz. tin cans. We both love banana bread. Ooops! Just remembered. Need to get butter from downstairs fridge. Gotta have butter on my bread.

UNCLE JIMMY

The Matzo-Meatball soup!
Tina ate 3 meatballs! That only means one thing! She liked the texture.

bethk

Admin
Oh, you're a good man, Charlie Brown.....bet Tina appreciated coming home to the soup & meatballs!

I never thought of making banana bread in tin cans. Does it come out like that old Boston Brown Bread we use to buy when we were kids?

Imelda HL

double post.. deleted  Surprised 

Last edited by Imelda HL on Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Imelda HL

what a beautiful spaghetti Beth.. so colorful, and the pics are so clear too

Barbara and Jimmy, dinner meals look so good also   

my DH's meal was not too pretty but he said: it's really good  Wink  I had my own meals, I did not take picture of it, it was so messy but yummy  Very Happy 

chicken breast with asparagus and potatoes ( I think I first saw it here somewhere, then a few days ago I saw Pioneer Woman made some in similar way, I cooked my potatoes in microwave until they were soft, then pressed them on a hot skillet, pan fried them until they were brown ), Dirk loves them.. usually he'd add some cheese and melt them, then sprinkle some chives on top

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Oh, you're a good man, Charlie Brown.....bet Tina appreciated coming home to the soup & meatballs!

I never thought of making banana bread in tin cans.  Does it come out like that old Boston Brown Bread we use to buy when we were kids?

Yeah! I came out smelling like a Ring Of Kielbasi! lol

Tina was really happy, and today she mentioned,"I want meatballs for supper tonight.
I love meatballs and in the tomato sauce is a favorite way to eat them.
The soup though, I thought the meatballs were tastier, and the texture was better. Sometimes the acidic tomato sauce will make a taste and texture change.
I did try and sweeten (neutralize) the acid by using a pinch of baking soda, and it did bubble and foam during the addition. Maybe a 1/4 tsp. per two quarts of sauce in the pot.
I just made the matzo ball mix, and then added the ground beef (1 lb.) and mushed it all together with a gloved hand. The matzo ball mix calls for 2 large eggs, but I used only one. I didn't want to chance the meatballs turning into lead balls with too much binding agent produced by the eggs.

Tina is resting up today after her trip to uncles yesterday. She did go to the church early this morning to put bulletins together for Masses Tomorrow.
She needs a day of rest she said!

I remember that Boston Brown Bread> I believe mom made it once in bigger cans.
Is that the spice / date or raisin bread? ...
I remember the Tomato Soup Bread too. All that allspice would give me heart burn!

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:what a beautiful spaghetti Beth.. so colorful, and the pics are so clear too

Barbara and Jimmy, dinner meals look so good also   

my DH's meal was not too pretty but he said: it's really good  Wink  I had my own meals, I did not take picture of it, it was so messy but yummy  Very Happy 

chicken breast with asparagus and potatoes ( I think I first saw it here somewhere, then a few days ago I saw Pioneer Woman made some in similar way, I cooked my potatoes in microwave until they were soft, then pressed them on a hot skillet, pan fried them until they were brown ), Dirk loves them.. usually he'd add some cheese and melt them, then sprinkle some chives on top

Looks good Imelda. I have to show this to my daughter. She loves chicken, and asparagus.

Barbara101

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:

Looks super great Barb!... ? Do you eat it with chop sticks? ... bounce 

Barbara101

no,, I fork it..   

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:no,, I fork it..   

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Permissions in this forum: