Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

FEBRUARY 2014: What's Cooking In The KITCHEN?

+4
Barbara101
NormM
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 14]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:Jimmy I love this cut. Super cheap too.I only paid $5. for 2 huge huge steaks in the pack. 

Barb, would you believe the only place I've been able to FIND skirt steak here in the villages is at Fresh Market.....and they wanted.....

wait for this one.....

$ $ 1 7. 99 / lb.

FOR SKIRT STEAK !!

Needless to say, Beth did NOT purchase it.

Bugster2

Bugster2

They don't sell those kind of buns out here in CA. Must be an eastern thing.

Peas from a can. I used to eat those, a lifetime ago, but the last time I had them I thought they smelled like dog droppings and tasted pretty awful. It is funny how a person's tastes will change as the years go by.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:They don't sell those kind of buns out here in CA. Must be an eastern thing.

Peas from a can. I used to eat those, a lifetime ago, but the last time I had them I thought they smelled like dog droppings and tasted pretty awful. It is funny how a person's tastes will change as the years go by.

It is a New England Thing!.... They served us lobster in split top buns in Boston. I like them because there is bun on each side of the hot dog. Not like the sunbeam rolls that are cut at the bakery plant. They cut them 1/4 thick on the bottom flat, and 3/4 thick on top. Then, when you open the bun, it separates.
Beth did suggest the potato rolls, and they are softer and easy to open, and they do not separate. The only thing is, I have to toast the buns.

Speaking of toasting.... Tonight after supper, I had two nice slices of Entenmans Butter pound cake, and I fried the slices in melted butter. OMG ...toasted on both sides, and crunchy on the outside. Salted butter taste, and OMG...Heaven..sheer Heaven.  FEBRUARY 2014: What's Cooking In The KITCHEN? - Page 5 635107192 

It's almost 12 midnight here. Ready for a Midnight Snack.
Hmmm! Thinking of white toast, with peanut butter so it melts all oooey and gooey! Then topped with cherry preserves.

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:
Barbara101 wrote:Jimmy I love this cut. Super cheap too.I only paid $5. for 2 huge huge steaks in the pack. 

Barb, would you believe the only place I've been able to FIND skirt steak here in the villages is at Fresh Market.....and they wanted.....

wait for this one.....

$ $ 1 7. 99 / lb.

FOR SKIRT STEAK !!

it is funny because the cheapest cuts of meat like skirt steak and flap meat used to be cheap in price too but with the influx of immigrants the prices have shot through the roof. Especially the flap meat which looks like raw beef jerky and just as tough. These cuts cost more than steaks when they are on sale. Usually around $5.99/lb. It could be that this meat is cheaper in the Hispanic markets but I don't know. I won't shop at a hole-in-the-wall grocery that has fruit flies buzzing around the entrance to the store. I go in there once in a while just to see what grossness is on display in the meat counter like testicles, chicken feet, something white and spongy looking (I think it is tripe).

Barbara101

Barbara101

bethk wrote:

wait for this one.....

$ $ 1 7. 99 / lb.

FOR SKIRT STEAK !!

As much as I enjoyed walking around Fresh Market.. I never bought one thing....Don't have one here & even if there was ,I won't shop there.

I got those & many more meat buys on sale on Sunday morning early.Sometimes on Monday morning too.. Food Lion..

I bought beef rib bones, 5 huge ones in the pack for $1. I got 5 packs. I cook them for my 'girls'...

Barbara101

Barbara101

I saw a Mexican Market ,in a down & out shopping center close to my Vets office.Every time I go there of course I have the girls so I don't get to go in..I am going to just go there.It looks nice from the outside..

I want some real chorizo & see if they have lard..look around to see what they have.

Gosh I would be in heaven if they had a asian market in the area.

NormM

NormM

Around here, went up when TV cooks started talking up London Broil as a great cheap meal. Same with flat irons and tri tips.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bethk wrote:He was complaining there was too much food in the refrigerator and not any room for cold beer.....hmmm, why is it I don't see that as much of a problem? LOL

Brian is a beer drinker and I'm a wine drinker.  We also have a lot of "drop by" friends, too -- even moreso since Brian retired.  Anyone who drinks beer knows it always tastes better when it's IN ice.  So basically, we usually have a cooler in the kitchen to keep beer and wine cold -- and, of course, occasionally whatever we're cooking a big meal or trying to chill something quickly, like say, macaroni salad.  The cooler is behind the kitchen island so it's not terribly visible to others either.  

At any rate, Brian was always buying a bag of ice or two for this cooler.  This has gone on for years and years and years.  The little convenient store about a half-mile away knows him well, and yours truly has also stopped a zillion times to buy a bag or two of ice on a regular basis.  

Okay, temporarily on to another subject, we drink bottled water -- the kind in the smaller bottles that you buy in the big pack wrapped in the heavy plastic.  I always feel guilty about using all those plastic bottles but when we don't buy the big pack of those small bottles, neither of us drinks as much water as we should.  We have recycling pickup once a week and we recycle ANYTHING we can, but I still feel guilty about using so many of them.

Soooo, about six months ago, I had an idea.  I filled about a dozen empty water bottles with tap water and put them in the freezer.  Instead of buying a bag or two of ice, we put beer and wine in the cooler, put a bit of water inside, and use the frozen bottles in lieu of ice.  About six of them usually fit in there with the beer and ice, so we have another half dozen or so in the freezer.  In late morning, we switch out what is now a half-dozen bottles of water with another six frozen bottles from the freezer.  And it goes on and on from day to day.  We haven't purchased a bag of ice in six months!  Not only have we saved the money on the bags of ice, but it's a real pain in the butt to stop and get -- and they're heavy, too.  I can't tell you how many times I've broken a nail reaching in the store's "box" to pull out a bag or two of ice, as they're often times frozen together a bit.

The bottles of water take no time at all to freeze, so you always have a backup bunch of frozen bottles.  We don't have a stand alone freezer but our freezer drawer at the bottom of the fridge has more than enough space for us to stack these bottles of water in a smaller walled-off section of the freezer that's on the right.  Sometimes the bottles spring a leak eventually but we just recycle the old one and start a new bottle in its place.  The labels wear off really quickly from the "iced water bottles" so we can easily tell which is a "real" bottle of water and which is one of the frozen ones when we want to have a nice cold bottle of water,

It may sound like a small thing to you but it's a big thing to us.  Needless to say, Brian says I'm a genius.  Another thing that is good about it is that even when the "ice bottles" melt, the amount of water in the cooler doesn't change like it does with melting ice.  So if I put a big bowl of macaroni salad in the cooler to chill, I don't have to worry about the water level increasing and eventually getting into the bowl of food, which has happened over the years more times than I care to remember.  

So buy a small cooler, Beth, and freeze some water bottles. That newly retired man of yours deserves to have his beer icy cold and at the ready!

Barbara101

Barbara101

I save the ice in my ice maker.I just dump it in plastic bags & put it my outside freezer.
I bought a water cooler with the 5gal water .But I can not lift the thing to change it out.I have to wait till someone comes over that can..
I hate my water,taste like crap.. FEBRUARY 2014: What's Cooking In The KITCHEN? - Page 5 411572088 

I feel that way about those Kcups. I will not ever buy them..

Crybaby

Crybaby

Barbara101 wrote:I save the ice in my ice maker.I just dump it in plastic bags & put it my outside freezer.

We used to do the same thing with bags of ice in the freezer but the ice cubes melt a lot faster than the bottle of frozen water. And we don't have a stand alone freezer so the bags of ice take up a lot more room than the bottles of water.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I do miss my upright freezer....even though I put too much stuff in it.  But it was SO convenient.

But I don't have room for one here.  The garage is full.  I guess when you downsize (especially to the extent we did) you have to make sacrifices.

But I do like the idea of a cooler in the kitchen. I think I could probably figure out a way to fit it into the pantry....hmmmm, got me thinkin' about that one! Thanks, Crybaby.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

i switched from beer to pot. No Ice Needed!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

BAD BOY JIMMY

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy, the only kind of pot you know these days is a pan on the stove with the handle broken off....

FEBRUARY 2014: What's Cooking In The KITCHEN? - Page 5 2876911673 

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:i switched from beer to pot. No Ice Needed!

Too funny. THAT explains all those "snacks" you make at 11:30 p.m.!!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bethk wrote:But I do like the idea of a cooler in the kitchen. I think I could probably figure out a way to fit it into the pantry....hmmmm, got me thinkin' about that one! Thanks, Crybaby.

Well, hurry up, Beth, as Friday is Valentine's Day.  Have the cooler all full of cold beer and ice bottles for the man!

FEBRUARY 2014: What's Cooking In The KITCHEN? - Page 5 2790317363

Crybaby

Crybaby

Barbara101 wrote:I feel that way about those Kcups. I will not ever buy them.

I think I said here before that the female partner at the last law firm I worked for was crazy over those machines.  Since I ordered all the supplies for the law firm, including kitchen supplies, I had to order the Kcups.  I mentioned to her on several occasions how expensive the coffee bill was getting to be but to her, the only things that were "expensive" were things that weren't important to her.  

The other male partner drank tea and not coffee (his stomach couldn't tolerate the latter).  She told him he could buy tea Kcups and use that for his tea as well.  He stopped after trying it once, as he said he could taste the coffee flavor in his tea.  Plus, he used high quality teas and he didn't like the ones available for the Keurig, even if it didn't have the coffee flavor in it.

We like coffee and chicory here and we like it strong.  So no matter how "strong" the Kcups claimed to be, they still weren't our version of strong.  I know they have one of the machines in which you can use your own coffee (I guess it's like making your own Kcup) but we don't need one of those.

Barbara101

Barbara101

FEBRUARY 2014: What's Cooking In The KITCHEN? - Page 5 Grilled-Skirt-Steak-Sandwiches-with-Garlic-and-Basil-Mayo-and-Caramelized-Onions2

garlic mayo & caramelized onions on guess what..leftover skirt steak. FEBRUARY 2014: What's Cooking In The KITCHEN? - Page 5 3470128989 

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:FEBRUARY 2014: What's Cooking In The KITCHEN? - Page 5 Grilled-Skirt-Steak-Sandwiches-with-Garlic-and-Basil-Mayo-and-Caramelized-Onions2

garlic mayo & caramelized onions on guess what..leftover skirt steak. FEBRUARY 2014: What's Cooking In The KITCHEN? - Page 5 3470128989 

I could hammer that down even right now after finishing supper!
Almost like a Philly Cheese Steak. Smile 

Barbara101

Barbara101

actually it was hard to eat lol. But I did it.. FEBRUARY 2014: What's Cooking In The KITCHEN? - Page 5 1838020472 

bethk

bethk
Admin

We went out for burgers....I had a patty melt with provolone, grilled onions & bacon (could only eat about 2/3 of it....) and he had a black & bleu burger with blue cheese & onion straws.

We're both stuffed.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had some steaks in the freezer. I cut them in half. The bacon was already wrapped on them. I just broiled them in the toaster oven! N O T

Tina made some mac and cheese with, hahahaha rigatoni.

Then we had some fried in butter pound cake.

I chowed down today after cleaning the snow that fell last night
It was funny! I strapped on my knee brace, and then my back brace.
When I finished fighting and muscling the darn snow machine, the other knee pain kicked it. Darn.....I didn't realize how out of shape I am. hahahahaha

OK...now the pics.

FEBRUARY 2014: What's Cooking In The KITCHEN? - Page 5 Nh33

FEBRUARY 2014: What's Cooking In The KITCHEN? - Page 5 1l1l

FEBRUARY 2014: What's Cooking In The KITCHEN? - Page 5 Oau5

FEBRUARY 2014: What's Cooking In The KITCHEN? - Page 5 4i3o

There will be a snack for later tonight. I'm wishing for a couple fried eggs with onions sandwich.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:actually it was hard to eat lol. But I did it.. FEBRUARY 2014: What's Cooking In The KITCHEN? - Page 5 1838020472 

I call them a "Challenge Sandwich".

Barbara101

Barbara101

Jimmy if I had that awesome range,I would have hot grilled those steaks.I know I eat way to much beef but that does not stop me. FEBRUARY 2014: What's Cooking In The KITCHEN? - Page 5 3470128989 

Barbara101

Barbara101

and he had a black & bleu burger with blue cheese & onion straws.

FEBRUARY 2014: What's Cooking In The KITCHEN? - Page 5 3602300868 FEBRUARY 2014: What's Cooking In The KITCHEN? - Page 5 3593629538 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum