Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

USING MARGARINE

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1USING MARGARINE  Empty USING MARGARINE Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:11 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

to substitute for butter in a cake.. will it get the same result? did anybody do it before? butter is getting more and more expensive now.. and I have some margarine in my fridge.. Dirk does not want margarine for his toasts.. always butter

2USING MARGARINE  Empty Re: USING MARGARINE Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:31 pm

JanaAZ

It definitely affects cookies. It may affect your cake, too. If it's a light margarine, I wouldn't use it in your cake. It has more water in it. If its regular, I'd go for it. If it doesn't bake up as you want it to , just slather on some frosting and nobody will ever know.

3USING MARGARINE  Empty Re: USING MARGARINE Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:43 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I heard that stick is better to use then tub.When I see butter for buy one get one free I always buy buy buy.Or 2 for $4.I put all of it in the freezer & use 1 stick at a time.I buy European aka Irish butter & Plugua for toast or finishing butter.It is so much better. flavor is awesome.The color is even darker.

4USING MARGARINE  Empty Re: USING MARGARINE Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:53 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

When I was a child growing up at home, my mother ONLY bought Imperial Margarine sticks. I never knew it wasn't butter until I got older and started shopping on my own. It was the only thing I ever used, along with Crisco, for baked goods.

The only thing you can do is give it a try and see if it works for the recipe you have. I agree that I would only substitute with the hard stick type and not the "soft" tub type margarine. Actually, if you go back and look at some old recipes on the internet, many of them call for margarine or "oleo", which is another butter substitute.

5USING MARGARINE  Empty Re: USING MARGARINE Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:54 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

JanaAZ wrote:  If it doesn't bake up as you want it to , just slather on some frosting and nobody will ever know.

MY kind of woman! When in doubt, cover it up. Hahahahahaha ~ love it!

6USING MARGARINE  Empty Re: USING MARGARINE Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:37 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Definitely use the stick kind. I too grew up with Imperial. Everything I used to make with it turned out fine.

7USING MARGARINE  Empty Re: USING MARGARINE Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:39 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Imelda HL wrote:to substitute for butter in a cake.. will it get the same result? did anybody do it before? butter is getting more and more expensive now.. and I have some margarine in my fridge.. Dirk does not want margarine for his toasts.. always butter

Imelda, you don't say where you live. Do you have a Costco near you? You can buy 4lbs of butter somewhere between $7 and $8. That is the best price around here.

8USING MARGARINE  Empty Re: USING MARGARINE Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:15 pm

JanaAZ

bethk wrote: many of them call for margarine or "oleo", which is another butter substitute.
I thought margarine and oleo were the same. The real name is oleomargarine.

9USING MARGARINE  Empty Re: USING MARGARINE Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:58 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

thank you for the responses ladies... I baked 1 yellow cake using my Mom's recipe ( my childhood cake), I know she used margarine in her cakes.. but I've never used it in my cake baking ( I did not bake cakes so often ).. today I mixed them.. 2 sticks of butter and 1 stick of margarine ( Blue Bonnet ).. it seems turn out good.. I haven't cut and eaten it yet.. still crossing my fingers  Laughing 

Bugster2.. oops.. I know my MIL bought butters at Costco.. a BIG chunk.. but I don't know how much they are... usually I don't use butters a lot.. but lately I need them as I bake more than usual... Chinese New Year in 5 days ( I bake some cakes to celebrate it ), our church's fiesta in 2 weeks.. I'm going to bake some cookies or cake for Cake Walk.. so I need them more than usual.. I might stop by at Costco and buy them if I go to town ( about 45 miles a way from our home ).. if not, I just use margarine..  Smile 

I went to the store ( IGA ) right after I posted my thread and got 2 lbs of butter on sale.. house brand.. 2 for $5.. not bad.. Walmart sells them $2.98/lbs.. 20% price increased from last year
 Shocked

10USING MARGARINE  Empty Re: USING MARGARINE Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:24 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Costco has the best price. I buy the 4lbs and freeze them that way they don't get stale.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum