Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A sauce for fried shrimp

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1A sauce for fried shrimp Empty A sauce for fried shrimp Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:53 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

In St. Augustine, at an old folks restaurant (O'Steen's), they serve a thin, pink-y sauce with their fried shrimp. I knew I'd never find that exact recipe ~ it's probably an old family recipe and super simple like mayonnaise with ketchup...lol

But I did a little experimenting and came up with a tasty sauce, bare with me as it's not a recipe, just a "method" as is usual for me.

I used approximately equal amounts of Hellmann's and Sweet Chili Sauce, a little whole grain mustard and some capers. I blitzed it around with my immersion blender until it was fairly smooth....

I think it's going to be dynamite with my fried shrimp tonight, just the right blend of creamy and sweet and spicy.

2A sauce for fried shrimp Empty Re: A sauce for fried shrimp Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:27 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

A little horseradish in there wouldn't hurt either!

3A sauce for fried shrimp Empty Re: A sauce for fried shrimp Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:55 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I thought about that but decided against it....I'm thinking maybe next time a little Worchestershire but nothing as overpowering as the horseradish.

4A sauce for fried shrimp Empty Re: A sauce for fried shrimp Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:50 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Remoulade Sauce

1 cup real mayonnaise (replace part or all of this with sour cream for a creamier version)
1/4 cup ketchup or chili sauce
1 tablespoon pickle juice (or 1/2 tablespoon vinegar)
1/2 teaspoon creole seasoning
2 teaspoons paprika
1/4 teaspoon mustard
1-4 teaspoons prepared horseradish (I like 1 teaspoon when serving with seafood, but more with a bloomin' onion, it's really up to your preference)
1 large clove minced garlic (about 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder)
Salt and pepper to taste
Cayenne pepper to taste
A few drops of Tabasco

I serve this with seafood,crab cakes,on salad ,dips.etc.Bloomin onion.

5A sauce for fried shrimp Empty Re: A sauce for fried shrimp Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:44 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:A little horseradish in there wouldn't hurt either!  

Alittle wasabi (?sp) too!... I like hot.

6A sauce for fried shrimp Empty Re: A sauce for fried shrimp Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:46 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Speaking of fried shrimps. We always get the carnation breaded shrimp frozen.
Tere is a new one too now. Coconut Shrimp! A little sweet, but with a sauce that is spiced just so so...I t would be good.

7A sauce for fried shrimp Empty Re: A sauce for fried shrimp Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:36 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I thought about that but decided against it....I'm thinking maybe next time a little Worchestershire but nothing as overpowering as the horseradish.

I presumed the light pink sauce you liked was the classic Louis Sauce, which, of course, has both horseradish -- a little bit, not an overpowering amount -- and Lea and Perrins, which is why I suggested it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum