Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pickled Red Beets

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Pickled Red Beets Empty Pickled Red Beets Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

My friend's husband has a birthday on Dec. 25th.....not many friends bring him a gift.

But he'll find a jar of his favorite salad in the refrigerator and I guarantee he won't think Santa dropped them off for him (I'm the only one who makes beets for him).

Pickled Red Beets PickledBeets

2Pickled Red Beets Empty Re: Pickled Red Beets Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:33 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:My friend's husband has a birthday on Dec. 25th.....not many friends bring him a gift.

But he'll find a jar of his favorite salad in the refrigerator and I guarantee he won't think Santa dropped them off for him (I'm the only one who makes beets for him).

Pickled Red Beets PickledBeets

I'll bet those beets are great tasting. Do you do whole / quartered / or sliced??

My Maria will sit down, and eat a whole can or jar of beets at one sitting. Just beets. I love beets too!

I love the wire bale jars too. I got two cases from a friend who picked them up at a garage sale. Had a heck of a time getting gaskets to fit properly.
I did finally find them by the dementions. Tina doesnt like them, and some friends have NO Clue how to open or latch the wire bails. study 

Now, the glass lids are not on a hinge. The lid comes off and then to close it...( Oh why am I telling you? A farm girl! You would know whatI am trying to say!)...hahahahahaha.... These jars are from way before you or me.  lol!  santa 

3Pickled Red Beets Empty Re: Pickled Red Beets Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:52 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I will show these; because they are from 1900 to 1909. THEY ARE OLD.

This way others will know what I am trying to explain. Or as Ricky Ricardo would say to Lucy,' Lucy, you better Splain yourself!!"

Pickled Red Beets N5uo

4Pickled Red Beets Empty Re: Pickled Red Beets Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:59 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes, I remember those....had a bunch we sold at the auction.  I think someone gave $1 for all of mine.  But they're still neat as all get out.  I like to use them for rice and beans 'cuz they're so pretty when filled with stuff.

Oh, the beets - I did a gigantic julienne.....the beets were huge so slicing wouldn't work. They ended up looking kind of like gigantic red Lincoln Logs!

5Pickled Red Beets Empty Re: Pickled Red Beets Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:37 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Yes, I remember those....had a bunch we sold at the auction.  I think someone gave $1 for all of mine.  But they're still neat as all get out.  I like to use them for rice and beans 'cuz they're so pretty when filled with stuff.

Oh, the beets - I did a gigantic julienne.....the beets were huge so slicing wouldn't work.  They ended up looking kind of like gigantic red Lincoln Logs!

I will eat beets any way, but I prefer larger than slices.

6Pickled Red Beets Empty Re: Pickled Red Beets Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:11 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Pickled Red Beets 75e420064a0796d4a92377fb11d1-5308_456X342

Here is my beets. From a jar . Then I threw some eggs in the juice.A onion too. Pickled Red Beets 2876911673 I went to sooooooooooooo much trouble...

7Pickled Red Beets Empty Re: Pickled Red Beets Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:20 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hey, Barb, remember when I made the "shaped" eggs (formed when hot and then they hold their shape as they cool)? It was a fun thing to do, although I didn't get the sharp heart shape I was going for with this pic:

Pickled Red Beets PickledBeetEggSalad

8Pickled Red Beets Empty Re: Pickled Red Beets Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:27 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, hey, I just thought I'd pass on a "tip" I tried yesterday when I was messin' around with the red beets. I didn't have any of my thin latex gloves handy so I put some olive oil on my fingertips and nails, washed off the majority, but left enough on so the beet juice did not permanently stain my hands. By the time I got done washing up the pans all the pink was gone.

9Pickled Red Beets Empty Re: Pickled Red Beets Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:38 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

when I was making baskets & weaving,we used beet juice to natural color the reed/split oak & the spun wool.

we also used tea & coffee & onion skins.but those beets sure made a nice red .Dark,light & even a pink.also used a lot of different greens too.They stain good too.

10Pickled Red Beets Empty Re: Pickled Red Beets Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:42 pm

JanaAZ

bethk wrote:Oh, hey, I just thought I'd pass on a "tip" I tried yesterday when I was messin' around with the red beets.  I didn't have any of my thin latex gloves handy so I put some olive oil on my fingertips and nails, washed off the majority, but left enough on so the beet juice did not permanently stain my hands.  By the time I got done washing up the pans all the pink was gone.

That's a great idea.

11Pickled Red Beets Empty Re: Pickled Red Beets Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:09 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I've never liked beets but admit to only having had canned beets. Like just about anything, if you served them to me, I could eat some of them but just never cared for them.

But I've been thinking about getting some beet seeds so I can grow some fresh ones. I think I would like them and could probably prepare them roasted so Brian would like them, too -- and me, too, of course.

I love pickled stuff, so I'd probably like pickled beets as well.

I don't see them often in the produce section but they might have them now that it's holiday season. Might tell my personal shopper (Brian!) to pick some up next time he sees them...

12Pickled Red Beets Empty Re: Pickled Red Beets Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:11 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

When I used to make jellies (pepper jelly, thyme jelly, mint jelly, etc.) for work Christmas presents, I used to use Weck jars. They weren't cheap but they were so pretty!

13Pickled Red Beets Empty Re: Pickled Red Beets Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:18 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes, Crybaby - HUGE difference between fresh beets and canned.

I love them roasted and then used in salads with basalmic vinegar, a very good pairing. Just remember to not try to peel them before cooked. Once cooked, whether boiled or roasted, the skins slip off easily when cooked.

14Pickled Red Beets Empty Re: Pickled Red Beets Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:26 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

15Pickled Red Beets Empty Re: Pickled Red Beets Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:03 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

ah......you didn't mention if YOU were able to sing along at the same speed.

LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum