Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

making potato salad today

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 making potato salad today on Sat May 11, 2013 7:56 am

Barbara101

Admin
at some time today or Sunday, I will have some boys here .

hot dogs grilled for them. me ,, steak. maybe

so I get tators,& saw the price of celery...79c to now $3..

do you boycott overpriced jacked up prices on stuff you know the value??

I didn't buy it,, just becuz....

I didn't buy lettuce when it was jacked up to $7 a head either.

It is only 3 bucks but it just pissed me off . Evil or Very Mad

2 Re: making potato salad today on Sat May 11, 2013 5:09 pm

Crybaby

Celery to me, Barb, is sort of like coffee -- I can't do without it no matter what the cost. Especially in potato salad. My dear Brian (grr!) doesn't like potatoes so I don't make potato salad unless someone is coming over or if I'm donating it to some bring-along dinner.

The sad thing is that I make a really good potato salad. The good thing is I don't need all those carbs!

Practically everything I make starts with onions, garlic and celery (in N.O. the infamous "trinity" is that but with green pepper instead of celery). I like green pepper but I like it added in the last 5 or 10 minutes and we often aren't crazy about the flavor when it rests overnight with the green pepper.

3 Re: making potato salad today on Sun May 12, 2013 7:32 pm

bethk

I'm with you, Crybaby, on celery being a mainstay of my cooking.

But for me, Dane can't eat the garlic so onions are my #1 flavoring agent. And that's a good thing because I like onions just about any way. But if I make big fat slices of onion to roast on top of, say, a pot roast (yum!) he'll pick them off. So, I just figure they're ALL MINE and I eat 'em all. He doesn't mind if I take the leftover roasted onion to mix in the leftover gravy and beef, even the carrots and celery that I put in with the roast - and make hot beef sandwiches for his lunch later in the week. As a matter of fact, I think he likes those sandwiches better than the original meal! lol

What's odd down here in The Villages is I sometimes have a difficult time finding entire stalks of celery. Most generally it's just the celery hearts or (eep! yuck....) packages of cut celery & carrots either in sticks or chopped for cooking. I cannot even imagine buying that.

4 Re: making potato salad today on Mon May 13, 2013 11:58 am

jetfan27

Hey all. Thanks for your comfort.
When I had my deli, we never used anything in the salad except potatoes. We brined the potatoes in water, white vinegar, sugar and grated onion. Poured over 50 lbs. of boiled, peeled potatoes, it sat for a few hours or more. When we needed to make salad, we drained what we needed and added mayo(extra heavy) and garnished with grated carrots and diced green peppers. That about the norm for delis in NY. Except for German potato salad.

5 Re: making potato salad today on Mon May 13, 2013 9:40 pm

bethk

For me, potato salad isn't potato salad without eggs & celery ~ LOTS of chopped celery. And most of the time I'll add some carrot and/or radishes for the interesting color and crunch.

I use to use just Miracle Whip but now days I'll usually use some MW, Hellmann's, sour cream, a squirt of yellow ballpark mustard, chopped parsley & chopped dill (and maybe, just maybe, a tiny bit of sugar) in my salad dressing. I also do the light vinegar splash on the hot potatoes to add that "hmmm, what IS that?" interest to the potatoes. My favorite is just a tiny splash of white basalmic. But I never add any salt to my potato salad or dressing. Grandma said the salt draws the moisture out of the celery and potaotes and makes for a runny or loose potato salad.

Oh, and Jetfan ~ have you ever added some baby spinach to your hot German Potato Salad? It adds some great color & flavor....but is NOT what anyone would expect. I love some smoked sausage sandwiches w/chili sauce (or sloppy joe mix will work), added mustard & onions and a side of German Potato Salad.

6 Re: making potato salad today on Tue May 14, 2013 6:43 am

Barbara101

Admin
I don't want potato salad at your house Beth. geek

I want plain old yellow style.
boiling potato,Hellmens mayo with a big scoop yellow mustard.sliced onion. Small amount of celery.Salt.
No eggs .

Now for red potato salad, I go with sour cream,Hellmans,sliced red onion DILL.

German potato salad oh ya bacon..

moot point since I can't have any of it.

7 Re: making potato salad today on Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:58 pm

Crybaby

For me, potato salad isn't potato salad without eggs & celery ~ LOTS of chopped celery. And most of the time I'll add some carrot and/or radishes for the interesting color and crunch.

I use to use just Miracle Whip but now days I'll usually use some MW, Hellmann's, sour cream, a squirt of yellow ballpark mustard, chopped parsley & chopped dill (and maybe, just maybe, a tiny bit of sugar) in my salad dressing. I also do the light vinegar splash on the hot potatoes to add that "hmmm, what IS that?" interest to the potatoes. My favorite is just a tiny splash of white basalmic. But I never add any salt to my potato salad or dressing. Grandma said the salt draws the moisture out of the celery and potaotes and makes for a runny or loose potato salad.

Mmm, me, too, Beth, re the eggs and the celery. I usually remove the yolks from the boiled eggs and mix them with vinegar and yellow mustard before stirring them into the salad. I use dill in my macaroni salad but not in my potato salad. Will have to try the vinegar splash on the hot potatoes, as that dounds divine!

Brian bought celery hearts at the store recently. When I griped, he said they didn't have the regular kind. But then I know he lies when he gets something wrong at the store so he probably just grabbed the first celery he saw. And what kills me is the hearts are more expensive!!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum