Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.


You are not connected. Please login or register

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?"

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 6 of 12]

Crybaby

avatar
Norm, your brioche look fantastic -- magazine pretty!

NormM

avatar
Thank you. The recipe is from Farm Journal Homemade Bread book, 1969.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

avatar
Admin
Ah, yes, 1969....a very good year (the year Mr. Amazing and I got tied up in knots, er, I mean, the year we tied the knot!)

Tonight I took the turkey stock over to Lyn's and made noodles. We had turkey noodle soup and toasted French bread. A supper fit for kings and queens!

Barbara101

avatar



gnocchi.red sauce.

Bugster2

avatar
I had some leftover chuck roast and gravy so I turned it into vegetable beef soup. A little strong so I may have to add some water to dilute it.
We picked up a piece of butterscotch pie from Pie n' Burger in Pasadena. I am trying to analyze it to figure out what makes it different from all the recipes you find on the net. Most of those use brown sugar and a few use butterscotch chips. It is definitely brown sugar based with something extra in it. I have a feeling that crushed hard butterscotch candies were added to the basic recipe but I won't know until I make a batch myself. I have looked far and wide for those candies and can't find any. Where the heck did they go? I also tried to find Lifesavers butterscotch candy because that is similar in flavor. Those seem to have vanished too. I guess I will try a couple of those vintage candy stores and one more grocery store to find them. Even the Brach's candy has vanished. I can always order online as a last resort.

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Bugster2 wrote:I had some leftover chuck roast and gravy so I turned it into vegetable beef soup. A little strong so I may have to add some water to dilute it.
We picked up a piece of butterscotch pie from Pie n' Burger in Pasadena. I am trying to analyze it to figure out what makes it different from all the recipes you find on the net. Most of those use brown sugar and a few use butterscotch chips. It is definitely brown sugar based with something extra in it. I have a feeling that crushed hard butterscotch candies were added to the basic recipe but I won't know until I make a batch myself. I have looked far and wide for those candies and can't find any. Where the heck did they go? I also tried to find Lifesavers butterscotch candy because that is similar in flavor. Those seem to have vanished too. I guess I will try a couple of those vintage candy stores and one more grocery store to find them. Even the Brach's candy has vanished. I can always order online as a last resort.

bugs... Wurthers Butter Scotch candy would work, maybe??
you could possibly grate and pulverize them in the blender.

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Tina took a trip to her Uncles down in Mays Landing. Not one flake of snow there.
She asked me what's for supper, and I told her 3 things she loves, but it will be a surprise.
I made a ring of smoked kielbasa, and about 2 lbs. of potato salad.

I also made a nice pot of chicken soup. GD said it was the best soup she ever tasted.

We ate odds and ends cookies and cakes and doughnuts for dessert!

Bugster2

avatar
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:I had some leftover chuck roast and gravy so I turned it into vegetable beef soup. A little strong so I may have to add some water to dilute it.
We picked up a piece of butterscotch pie from Pie n' Burger in Pasadena. I am trying to analyze it to figure out what makes it different from all the recipes you find on the net. Most of those use brown sugar and a few use butterscotch chips. It is definitely brown sugar based with something extra in it. I have a feeling that crushed hard butterscotch candies were added to the basic recipe but I won't know until I make a batch myself. I have looked far and wide for those candies and can't find any. Where the heck did they go? I also tried to find Lifesavers butterscotch candy because that is similar in flavor. Those seem to have vanished too. I guess I will try a couple of those vintage candy stores and one more grocery store to find them. Even the Brach's candy has vanished. I can always order online as a last resort.

bugs... Wurthers Butter Scotch candy would work, maybe??
you could possibly grate and pulverize them in the blender.

I saw those but was hesitant to buy them because I have never tasted them before but I think I will give them a try.

bethk

avatar
Admin
Barbara101 wrote:
gnocchi.red sauce.

Gee, Barb, where in the world did your inspiration for that meal come from? (LOL ~ I love how we get hungry for what each other have cooked!)

bethk

avatar
Admin
Bugster2 wrote:I had some leftover chuck roast and gravy so I turned it into vegetable beef soup. A little strong so I may have to add some water to dilute it.
We picked up a piece of butterscotch pie from Pie n' Burger in Pasadena. I am trying to analyze it to figure out what makes it different from all the recipes you find on the net. Most of those use brown sugar and a few use butterscotch chips. It is definitely brown sugar based with something extra in it. I have a feeling that crushed hard butterscotch candies were added to the basic recipe but I won't know until I make a batch myself. I have looked far and wide for those candies and can't find any. Where the heck did they go? I also tried to find Lifesavers butterscotch candy because that is similar in flavor. Those seem to have vanished too. I guess I will try a couple of those vintage candy stores and one more grocery store to find them. Even the Brach's candy has vanished. I can always order online as a last resort.

Bugster ~ what a great use for leftover chuck roast. I've done that before as well, even to the point of using left over mixed vegetables from another meal and then just adding a box of beef stock and some water to make the broth. The only thing I usually had to add "fresh" (and cook in the beef stock before adding to the rest of the soup) was potatoes and cabbage, both of which I really love in beef soup.

I agree with Jimmy about looking for the Werther butterscotch candies. I think they have an "old fashioned" butterscotch taste. I think I'd try smashing them in a double heavy duty bag with a hammer on concrete....good luck with that. Maybe they would melt down if you just simmered them with a bit of water....hmmm, now you have me wondering.

bethk

avatar
Admin
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina took a trip to her Uncles down in Mays Landing. Not one flake of snow there.
She asked me what's for supper, and I told her 3 things she loves, but it will be a surprise.
I made a ring of smoked kielbasa, and about 2 lbs. of potato salad.

I also made a nice pot of chicken soup. GD said it was the best soup she ever tasted.

We ate odds and ends cookies and cakes and doughnuts for dessert!

Again....you're a good man, Charlie Brown (er, Jimmy) !

How wonderful for Tina to get home from the long trek to find a fabulous meal all ready to sit down to.

Good job!

Barbara101

avatar
lol I never ever made it before.I always thought it to much trouble.Then Pubix had that sale rack full of pastas for 50% off. I bought 2 bags for $1.lol

It is good.Then I had a half jar of sauce= fast cheap easy dinner. cheers 

Bugster2

avatar
My DH and guest went to a Christmas party in Pasadena on Sunday. My stomach hurt so I stayed home. Apparently it was fantastic: a 50 by 100 foot tent with clear walls. Couches, chairs and ottomans set up inside along with tables. A live jazz band and cameras on tracks recording the scene. My guest's brother owns a business called "Film Tools" which leases and sells everything to make a movie. He is a retired cameraman. The location was in a meadow alongside a small lake that is in front of their house. The food theme was verrines. Everything was mini, but a huge variety of eats. Small shots of tomato soup with a square of grilled cheese perched on the side. Something with ahi tuna. Warm chocolate soufflés and so on. They had luxury porta-potties brought in that came with sinks. They were better than most bathrooms in a house. Wish I could have gone. Instead I stayed home and spent three hours cutting the mats off of her dog.

bethk

avatar
Admin
I love to go to parties like that just to get ideas.

Barbara101

avatar



Really great Mac & Cheese. Made with all Italian cheeses.

Barbara101

avatar
Pasta (1 lb. dried ziti pasta)
1 1/2 cups pancetta
Béchamel (2 cups, see recipe below)
Cheese . 1 1/2 cups of shredded Asiago cheese, 1/2 cup shredded Fontina cheese and 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese,,,4oz mozz,4oz,parm can be used in place of..asiago.
1/2 cup of Panko crumbs

Preheat oven to 375F. Grease 2-quart casserole dish.

Cook ziti according to directions but al dente (do not overcook!). Drain pasta and set aside.

Prepare meat by dicing pancetta into tiny cubes; then sauté in a separate pan until slightly crispy.

Make a medium thick béchamel sauce (see separate recipe below). Gradually add the Asiago cheese, Fontina cheese and blue cheese to the Béchamel, stirring until melted. Stir in the cooked pancetta. Stir the (cheesy-pancetta-Béchamel) mixture into the cooked ziti. Pour the (pasta and cheesy-pancetta-Béchamel) mixture into the casserole dish.

Sprinkle the Panko crumbs on top of the pasta mixture. Cook in the oven, uncovered, for 25 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

Recipe for Béchamel:

You'll need:
2 cups milk
4 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

Put the milk in a saucepan, turn on the heat to medium low, and bring the milk just to the verge of boiling.

While heating the milk, put the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and turn the heat to low. When the butter has melted completely, add all the flour, stirring it in with a wooden spoon. Cook, while stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes. Do not allow the flour to become colored. Remove from heat.

Add the hot milk to the flour-and-butter mixture, no more than 2 tablespoons of milk at a time. Stir steadily and thoroughly. As soon as the first 2 tablespoons of milk have been incorporated into the mixture, add 2 more and continue to stir. Repeat this procedure until you have added 1/3 cup milk; you can now put in the rest of the milk 1/2 cup at a time; stirring constantly, until all the milk has been smoothly combined with the flour and butter.

Place the pan over low heat, add the salt, and cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce is as dense as thick cream.

NormM

avatar
Tonight was stuffed pork chops except the chops were too thin to stuff so I put the chops on top of the stuffing. stuffing was greens, seasonings and pineapple. Asparagus topped with leftover brioche crumbs buttered and tossed with the asparagus, stuffed mushrooms and a potato recipe from Toni.

URL=http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif][/URL]

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

avatar
Admin
No cooking tonight - Lyn & I went over to our friend's new house (she closed via electronic on Monday) and she left instructions for Lyn to be able to pick up her keys. She's driving down from Ohio with her daughter on Sunday night.

Lyn & I got her beds made up and put up a little tabletop Christmas tree as a surprise. By the time Barb gets done with 2 days on the road and the huge excitement of getting to her new house she'll be exhausted. We wanted to make it ready so they could get a bite to eat, have stuff for breakfast, towels to shower & sheets on the beds without having to unpack boxes or even the car that night.

I made some sausage gravy & biscuits and a small chicken pot pie to put in her freezer so she won't have to leave if she doesn't want to. We'll pick up basics on Saturday.

We went through our cabinets and got a set of spare silverware, some plastic plates, mugs, glasses, etc. so boxes don't have to be unpacked that night. We even brought a bunch of those little hotel shower gel & shampoo bottles for the bathrooms.

Barb is going to be SO surprised and thrilled, I'm sure. We can hardly wait to see her face when she walks in.

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
nothing got cooked for me anyway. I've been in another world since 2 pm when I got a tooth pulled. I have not slept because of pain since Saturday.
I fell asleep in the computer chair after the surgery,,,and then on the couch. Woe Is Me....ahahaha!

bethk

avatar
Admin
Oh, Poor Jimmy. That's awful.

But, you should be back up to full speed by the time it's Christmas eating. Rest and take care.

Bugster2

avatar
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:nothing got cooked for me anyway. I've been in another world since 2 pm when I got a tooth pulled. I have not slept because of pain since Saturday.
I fell asleep in the computer chair after the surgery,,,and then on the couch. Woe Is Me....ahahaha!

Jimmy, didn't they give you any pain meds? Jeez! From one who has had major dental issues, I know what you have and are going through. I am guessing you either needed a root canal because of an infection or a crown and a root canal because you broke a tooth. Very expensive. If you won't miss the tooth then I would have it pulled too. If you were a kid I would try and save it but not when it really doesn't matter anymore. That pain feels just like a smashed fingernail (the kind where the blood is under the nail) except in your mouth. To add insult to injury anything hot or cold has you rolling on the floor in agony.

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Bugster2 wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:nothing got cooked for me anyway. I've been in another world since 2 pm when I got a tooth pulled. I have not slept because of pain since Saturday.
I fell asleep in the computer chair after the surgery,,,and then on the couch. Woe Is Me....ahahaha!

Jimmy, didn't they give you any pain meds? Jeez! From one who has had major dental issues, I know what you have and are going through. I am guessing you either needed a root canal because of an infection or a crown and a root canal because you broke a tooth. Very expensive. If you won't miss the tooth then I would have it pulled too. If you were a kid I would try and save it but not when it really doesn't matter anymore. That pain feels just like a smashed fingernail (the kind where the blood is under the nail) except in your mouth. To add insult to injury anything hot or cold has you rolling on the floor in agony.

Tina is going to CVS Now to get the hydrocodone5 acetominophen 500 pills, and my blood pressure pills. Had a doctor appointment today too.

I ate scrambled eggs, and soft toast that Tina made me.
Now my mouth hurts worse. LOL
My head is pounding, and I am gonna have coffee now.Tina said I must have coffee caffeine withdrawal.

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
bethk wrote:Oh, Poor Jimmy.  That's awful.

But, you should be back up to full speed by the time it's Christmas eating.  Rest and take care.

I will be ready to eat by then Beth. Come heck or high water.

Imelda HL

avatar
I hope you feel better now Jimmy..

Does anyone here like beef feet? we ( I and my DH ) love it.. this is the first time I bought frozen beef feet and cooked soup with them.. I eat a
lot of beef feet soups in Indonesia.. we cook them in soup with nutmeg and cloves or in coconut milk gravy

today I cooked them in my new Crockpot, for 6 to 7 hours.. before I placed them in Crockpot.. I boiled them and threw away the water, then used clean water to cook.. I added salt, blackpepper, clove and nutmeg.. I topped it with cilantro and fried shallots.. oh I drizzled a bit of lemon juice, added 3 slices of Serrano chili.. oh my it was good.. my DH liked it even though he screamed twice.. hot.. hot ( as in a hot and spicy soup )
 Laughing 

bethk

avatar
Admin
That is something I've never had, Imelda. The closest I've ever come is ox tail ~ I would imagine there would be a lot of gelatinous bits, much like when Jimmy's Tina cooks her pigs feet. It certainly sounds like an interesting dish, and I'd love to taste it someday.

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum