Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

is it hoarding if

+5
Imelda HL
bethk
Bugster2
NormM
Barbara101
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1is it hoarding if Empty is it hoarding if Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:27 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

you now have 5 turkeys in your freezer? silent 

2is it hoarding if Empty Re: is it hoarding if Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:17 pm

NormM

NormM

T'is the season for great sales on turkey.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

3is it hoarding if Empty Re: is it hoarding if Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:28 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

lol I know .54@lb.

next up is sweet potatoes.

4is it hoarding if Empty Re: is it hoarding if Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:25 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I already have one in my freezer. If I had a bigger freezer I would have another.

5is it hoarding if Empty Re: is it hoarding if Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

You gonna smoke THREE at a time?

LOL

6is it hoarding if Empty Re: is it hoarding if Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:20 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

no lol. I will butterfly it tho. Smoked.

I want to do one wrapped with lots of bacon.

I also want to do one in the oven slow slow slow roast.

I do not plan on brining any ..My grand never did,my mother/SD never did. I never did in all the years I have roasted a turkey ...Turkey was always awesome.Never dry white meat.

My 'girls' will be well fed for along time with all the dark meat I pick off.lol I do not like dark meat at all.

7is it hoarding if Empty Re: is it hoarding if Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:26 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I don't like brined turkeys. They are way too salty and the drippings are unusable due to the salt. I don't care how much you rinse the bird I still think it is too salty.

8is it hoarding if Empty Re: is it hoarding if Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:18 pm

NormM

NormM

Commercially prepared turkeys... the frozen ones esp. are almost always factory brined anyway and brining them will just make them too salty. Fresh turkeys are the only ones that might benefit from brining.

9is it hoarding if Empty Re: is it hoarding if Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:24 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

gosh I have not bought a fresh turkey since 1996 lol.I lived In Md then.Had a farm not far from the house.Bought fresh veggies cheap. Doz fresh eggs where 75c. She gave me all the grapes I could pick & I also took my fill of grapes leaves too. Bet that place is now shopping center......

10is it hoarding if Empty Re: is it hoarding if Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:21 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I wish I had an extra freezer for turkey.. I've never bought turkey yet.. we usually eat at my in-laws' and bring home leftover.. I'm thinking to buy one this year if I have enough space in my freezer Laughing

11is it hoarding if Empty Re: is it hoarding if Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:07 pm

NormM

NormM

I usually go to my sisters for Thanksgiving. There are 9 adults and 7 kids. I don't take any chances there might not be leftovers. I always get the smallest turkey I can and cook it after Thanksgiving so we WILL have leftovers. I also make extra dressing, pie and cranberry sauce.

12is it hoarding if Empty Re: is it hoarding if Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:07 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I usually go to my sisters for Thanksgiving.  There are 9 adults and 7 kids.  I don't take any chances there might not be leftovers. I always get the smallest turkey I can and cook it after Thanksgiving so we WILL have leftovers. I also make extra dressing, pie and cranberry sauce.
You remind me of me, Norm. Once my nutso sister convinced us to eat out on Thanksgiving (her treat) with my mom. We went to a very nice restaurant but going home to no leftovers just filled me with regret. I swore I'd never eat out or at someone else's house for Thanksgiving again, and we never have. The actual dinner was very good but my sister's behavior, including being 45 minutes late (they wouldn't seat us until the entire party had arrived), being cocky and rude to the waiter, ruined my day even before the meal began.

My best friend Linda usually comes to our house and sometimes her grown daughter comes as well. Here in N.O., the racetrack opens on Thanskgiving Day and Linda is always trying to get us to go to the track (and get a table in the clubhouse) for Thanksgiving but I always decline. She always says that I can make the dinner the next day or on Saturday. I always tell her she can go to the track the next day or on Saturday but I'm not giving up my Thanskgiving. I cook for a crowd and always send her home with leftovers of everything and she tells me she eats for days on them. But she never stops asking about the darn racetrack!

I used to host a family dinner when my mom was alive just to get everyone together for her (no one would invite my mom if I didn't and it was always who can last the longest without issuing an invitation to my poor mom). When my mom died in 2007, I realized I didn't have to do that anymore and it was like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. My brother's wife can't cook at all but she bakes (usually from a mix). She'd alway bring sweets, which is fine for dessert as I'm not a baker, but she began putting out the sweets when I put out the appetizers. We not only spent a fortune on the dinner but both of us went to a lot of trouble, including decorating the table, polishing the copper chargers, garnishing the appetizer platters, etc. So I gritted my teeth and went around and picked up every single sweet thing she'd put out and picked them up, telling her I didn't want people filling up on dessert before such a big meal. She never did that again!

Then my sister and her husband would show up right before the meal (I tell people to come anytime after 12 noon and dinner would be around 3 or 3:30). She'd show up about 3 p.m. and b*tch that there were no appetizers left. I finally learned to smile and say, "Well, if you got here earlier, you'd have been able to enjoy them with the rest of us."

This kind of stuff happened my entire life, even when I was still cooking at my mom's (my mom was a great cook but as she got older, it was too much trouble so I'd cook and she'd clean up as I went and after the meal so it was a great deal for me). You guys know how hard it is to have everything hot and on the table when you only have one oven -- well, dinner would be ready and my sister and her husband wouldn't be there yet. Some years I would cry over it and I'd end up taking a Valium to calm down (now I just drink wine instead). My mother finally had had enough too and we'd just sit down to eat without her. When she got there, she'd always make a fuss that we hadn't waited and my mom (the calmest human being I've ever known) would kindly explain to her how she got there later and later every year and that we all wanted to eat dinner while it was hot. She got better over the years (I make super appetizers and I know that was the draw and not consideration for me and Brian) but I'm so glad I don't do it anymore, as my day is a lot more enjoyable for everyone present.

Years ago when my brother's kids were small, we'd eat Christmas dinner at my sister-in-law's every year (the one who can't cook). The food was terrible but I'd try to compliment at least one thing, which was often hard to do. Her family was there also and her mom was a b*tch who was also a terrible cook. I remember one year I complimented her broccoli with cheese sauce and she replied, "It's Stouffer's." Brian was squeezing my thigh under the table so we didn't start laughing -- no wonder it was better than she usually made! She'd tell us to just bring what we wanted to drink (my brother is a recovered alcoholic so they never had booze or wine) and we'd bring a cooler with several bottles of wine, champagne and beer (Brian only drinks beer and scotch). We noticed after several years that we were the only ones who brought booze (we were the only ones who brought ANYTHING) which her family then helped themselves to without so much as a thank you. One year I was pouring my mom a glass of Champagne and my sister-in-law's mother came up, actually put her hand on the glass which was in my hand while I poured, and said, "I'll take that." I smiled and said, "This one is for my mother but I'll be happy to pour you one afterwards." My mom was much kinder than I am but I saw her coy smile when I handed her the flute so I knew she wasn't ticked at me!

This went on for so many years and then we'd have to go home and eat something. One year Brian begged me to stop at Burger King on the way home and I actually cried while in the drive-thru, saying, "What must we look like buying food at Burger King on Christmas. People must thing we're either drunks or dopers." So I started making a meal BEFORE we went to her house. One year my sister and her husband caught up with us in traffic and I told them I had a rib roast at home if they wanted to join us and they did. After a couple years of making a second meal, I told my sister-in-law that we just wanted to start a Christmas tradition of our own by eating at home. She didn't seem bothered and it was the best thing I ever did!

Now that I've typed all this, I realize it would probably be best if posted on Dr. Phil's website!

13is it hoarding if Empty Re: is it hoarding if Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:19 pm

NormM

NormM

My sister's name is Linda too. Since I have moved to KC, we keep suggesting we let her take a break and do it at my house but she keeps saying maybe next year. When I was married and living in Junction City, the first year I had it for her family at my house. The next year they wanted to have it at our restaurant for the family of the employees. The next year the same but they invited people from their church too. The last year we had it, I was cooking for 30 or 40 people and setting it up on the buffet line at the restaurant.

14is it hoarding if Empty Re: is it hoarding if Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:35 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

It sounds so much like my family. When I was younger we would TG at my parents house. My mother would get drunk and so my sister and I would have to finish cooking the dinner. One year my sister put the bird in the oven but forgot to turn it on, so we had no dinner. After a while I started having TG at my house. It would be good but several times my sister would drink too much wine and lose her dinner before she had time to digest it. We started having TG at my MIL's house after a few years. She would tell us that dinner would be served at 3pm but we didn't eat till after 5pm because my BIL would go for a run at 2:45 and then had to shower when he got back. Since he was her darling and could do no wrong, we always had dried out turkey, scorched potatoes, slimy dressing and chicken broth for gravy. She had to be the worst cook. Absolutely unsatisfied, my DH insisted I make a turkey for him the next day. Now my parents and MIL are dead so we have our own TG and have plenty of leftovers.
At Christmas we go over to my SIL's house on Christmas Eve. She is also a horrible cook. All of the guests are asked to bring something but I realized I was assigned to bring more than anyone else. Whatever else was brought usually was inedible. SIL's dressing is so slimy that I actually gagged on it when I put it in my mouth. Last year I told her I no longer cook and whatever I bring will have to come from Costco. I got lucky and only had to bring potatoes. I can't wait to see what happens this year. Christmas day is usually my DH and I but maybe I will have my sister and her family over. The trouble is my BIL who is so obnoxious, kind of ruins the day. I love dysfunctional families, don't you?

15is it hoarding if Empty Re: is it hoarding if Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:54 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I don't mean this in a mean way but I felt so much better, Bugster, after reading about someone else's dysfunctional family! I was feeling generous about a month ago and told Brian that I might invite my sister and her husband for this Thanksgiving. He didn't say anything but a couple of weeks ago when I told him I must've been out of my mind to even consider it, he smiled broadly and said he knew I'd thnk better of it prior to inviting her.

The last time we had Christmas dinner at her house -- I guess it was 10 or so years ago -- Brian (who is also much kinder than I am) said he would never go to their house for any holiday ever again. And we haven't. She was so mean to me in front of everyone that it made everyone very uncomfortable. We were told to come for 3, but about 2:45 p.m., she called and told us not to come until 5, as they still had to clean the house. Then around 4:45 p.m., she called and said not to come until 7. I brought several bottles of nice Champagne with us, not to mention the requisite cooler with beer and ice, but when I went to open one, she said, "Mi, I've got special Champagne for today so open this instead," which Brian did. She's not much of a drinker but the other 4 or 5 of us were drinking, so after a while, Brian opened another bottle of her Champagne. When he went to refill my glass, she said very loudly to me, "Why the "f" did you open another bottles of my Champagne?" to which Brian replied, "I opened it, not Michelle, and only because you told her not to open what we brought." At the table, it just got worse. I told her my friend at work had gotten a little Labrador puppy for her 2-year-old for Christmas and that she got the puppy from a breeder. Her response? "Everyone knows a 2-year-old can't take care of a puppy." I smiled and said, "Well, of course, but the adults will care for the dog." Then she started a rant on people who buy dogs from breeders rather than adopting one. Brian, bless his heart, said, "Didn't you get your Alaskan Malamute from a breeder?" Just crickets were heard but I felt like getting up and cheering.

I forgot what they had for dinner but it was something like thick pork chops I think. When I reached for the platter to serve myself another chop, she said, "You're going to have a SECOND one?! You know, some other people are coming over later so I want SOME food left for them if you don't mind." (I wondered why they put the platter on the table if they didn't want anyone to have anymore). I placed the pork chop back on the serving platter. When she and her husband got up to clear the table, I said in a very meek voice, "Is it just me or did she attack me for anything I said or did?" and everyone quietly told me how bad they felt. We stayed for dessert and then Brian said we needed to leave 'cause he had to work the next day. On the way home, he ranted and said "Never again will I go to anyone in your family's house for a holiday!" And we never have.

The first year we had Thanksgiving at our house alone was probably in 2003. I had a case of really bad flu and had to call my mom and tell her not to come. She said she didn't mind coming if I was sick (!!!) but I told her I minded and I was not only too sick to cook, but she'd had a heart valve replacement so it was not good for her to be around anyone really sick. I had to call my sister and beg her to ask my mom or my mom would've been home alone. On TG day, I felt a bit better and told Brian I was up for cooking the turkey and gravy but I would just stop when I got tired. I proceeded to also make the cranberry orange sauce and the oyster dressing before pooping out. When dinner was cooked, we weren't really hungry and it was great that we could wait a couple of hours until we felt like eating, something we never could've done with company over. When we finally sat down to eat, it was wonderful as we'd never had TG alone before. After about 30 minutes, Brian smiled, reached for my hand and said, "This is sooo nice, honey. Can you please get sick every Thanksgiving?" We had such a nice time that we're now thrilled if Linda is going to the track, or to Vegas or to see her family in Chicago so we can be alone and really enjoy our day. We love Linda but the last time her daughter came (she's 25), she arrived drunk and brought her little dog, who proceeded to poop all over my house (which I found later, of course) and even got into the cats' litter box which makes me sick just thinking of it. When I told her to keep her dog out of the bathroom where the litter box was, the little drunk told me, "You really should clean your little box more often" (Brian cleans it every single morning).

16is it hoarding if Empty Re: is it hoarding if Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:32 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Don't you just love it when they get mad at you for something they have done? LOL My MIL never forgave me for getting up from the table and running into the kitchen and spitting into her sink. You see, I had picked up the glass of water at my place and took a sip. Before I swallowed, I saw the bottom of the glass had something thick and white on it. Sorry, I couldn't swallow it. I found out after a close inspection that it was a half-inch layer of clabbered milk that was welded to the bottom of the glass. YUCK!
Another time, and this wasn't her fault, she served Rice A Roni white and wild rice. I took a bite and promptly spit it back onto my plate. Sorry, it was purely an involuntary reaction. After I had taken the bite of rice I looked down at the rice and saw this huge cockroach/beetle laying on its' back with feet pointing to the sky. She was furious. I was embarrassed but as I said I couldn't help it. The rest of the guests turned green but had enough manners just to not eat the rice dish. Since I am a primitive savage, with no class at all, I was on her $nit list for years. She would constantly make snide remarks to me about whether her food had passed my inspection.

17is it hoarding if Empty Re: is it hoarding if Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:39 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Golly, but I feel lucky for the holiday family meals I get to go to.

It use to be my Mom & Grandma did the cooking, my brothers girlfriend (and later wife) and I would set the table & then we were clean-up. My oldest brother's wife managed to be the perfect guest, and although she was a wonderful cook, never cooked nor cleaned up at any of our meals. Funny, but when we were at her house she had no problem cooking and then allowing us to do all the clean-up.

Now days it's my older daughter and I cooking, my 9 yr. old niece sets the table. After the meal the guys (Mr. Amazing and my son-in-law) help carry the dishes out & load the dishwasher and Andrea & I finish clean-up. Our younger daughter manages to catch a nap before the meal and then usually watches a ball game after.

But now that we're moving to the villa full time the younger one will be on her own. I don't have a clue how she'll manage. Maybe she'll get invited to her friends'.....

18is it hoarding if Empty Re: is it hoarding if Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:45 am

NormM

NormM

Charlie and Cassie will have to work on T day so I am going to make a turkey dinner on Wed. and go to my sisters by myself on Thurs. She asked me to make a pie and so I have to go. I already have the pie ready to bake.

19is it hoarding if Empty Re: is it hoarding if Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:56 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:After I had taken the bite of rice I looked down at the rice and saw this huge cockroach/beetle laying on its' back with feet pointing to the sky. She was furious. I was embarrassed but as I said I couldn't help it. The rest of the guests turned green but had enough manners just to not eat the rice dish. Since I am a primitive savage, with no class at all, I was on her $nit list for years. She would constantly make snide remarks to me about whether her food had passed my inspection.
OH MY GOD! She's lucky it wasn't me as I'd have screamed and pushed my chair back so fast, I probably would've ended up on the floor. And trust me, I wouldn't have been able to proceed with dinner. You're a trooper, Bug.

20is it hoarding if Empty Re: is it hoarding if Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:07 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bethk wrote:It use to be my Mom & Grandma did the cooking, my brothers girlfriend (and later wife) and I would set the table & then we were clean-up. My oldest brother's wife managed to be the perfect guest, and although she was a wonderful cook, never cooked nor cleaned up at any of our meals. Funny, but when we were at her house she had no problem cooking and then allowing us to do all the clean-up.
I never let anyone help me in the kitchen (it usually makes me nervous as I like things done a certain way and I usually have a system down in my head on when I'm going to do something), nor do I let them help clean up. Everyone always says, "Michelle, you're doing so much work. Are you sure I can't help you?" And my reply is ALWAYS the same: "No problem, I don't mind doing everything myself. But just know that when I eat at your house, I'm going to sit on my butt and enjoy myself." And I mean every single word. Plus Brian always does most of the picking up while we're still at the table talking. He'll have a load of dishes going in the dishwasher before the stragglers (including me) get up from the table.

Many years ago, probably the last Christmas we suffered through dinner at my can't-cook SIL's, she called me a day or two earlier and not only told me to bring an appetizer, but which one I make that she wanted me to bring. It really irked the heck out of me, as I told you that no one ever brought anything except me and Brian. I was grousing after hanging up and I told Brian I wasn't doing it. He asked, "Well, what are you going to say?" My reply: "Don't worry about it and you'll see." When we walked into her house on Christmas day, I said, "So sorry I didn't bring the ham rolls. I was walking out of the house with them and dropped the whole platter on the front sidewalk." Brian managed to keep a straight face and I think she bought it but couldn't care less if she knew I was telling a lie.

It's so nice to be having TG by ourselves this year!

21is it hoarding if Empty Re: is it hoarding if Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:21 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I found that people who try to help just get in the way. I also found that people who try to clean up by putting dishes in the dishwasher put the dishes in all covered with food. I want every trace of food washed off before a dish goes in the washer. What people don't seem to understand is that most dishwashers don't have a garbage disposer built in and all those crumbs just get trapped and you wash your next load in old food.

22is it hoarding if Empty Re: is it hoarding if Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:40 am

LisaSD

LisaSD

Anytime I have a large dinner, everyone always wants to help but I don't feel that most people take the care that I do with my nice things. If someone were to break something while we are at the dinner, I would feel like "Oh well, accidents happen." BUT, if they break while being washed while you're rushing to get it done, then I don't feel as forgiving because I've already SAID "I'll handle it!"

I used to be more accommodating in my younger days but now I just say "NO! I want to enjoy my guests..." and they drop it. My sister jumps up from the dinner table as soon as we finish eating at major family dinners and misses out on our after dinner conversations because she wants to get the dishes done. That's not a problem any more because I quit going to her house. Problem solved.

This Thanksgiving, I went to my younger sister's house and we were singing movie tunes while we cook. This year, we were playing "Name that TV show." and laughing our butts off! My Dad, who has Alzheimers, wanted to play and he kept humming Chopin's Funeral March which isn't a TV show theme (is it?) and that made us laugh even harder! We were practically peeing our pants every time he did it.

23is it hoarding if Empty Re: is it hoarding if Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:34 am

Niagara Visitor

Is it hoarding if you have 5 turkeys in the freezer? To me it just would mean that someone really likes turkey. As for me, I haven't had 5 turkeys in the freezer in total in my 51 years of cooking! I am not fond of turkey in particular, so it's just not something I cook.

24is it hoarding if Empty Re: is it hoarding if Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:21 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

LisaSD wrote:I used to be more accommodating in my younger days but now I just say "NO! I want to enjoy my guests..." and they drop it. My sister jumps up from the dinner table as soon as we finish eating at major family dinners and misses out on our after dinner conversations because she wants to get the dishes done. That's not a problem any more because I quit going to her house. Problem solved.
I never understood why some people do that -- often times, the conversation and laughter at the table after a meal is really the best part of the dinner party! And as the cook, I always feel most relaxed when the meal is all done, served and everyone has enjoyed it, so I really look forward to relaxing after dinner.

Had to laugh, though, as you sound like some of the rest of us when you said you solved the problem by not going to your sister's house for the holidays. I can certainly relate to that!

25is it hoarding if Empty Re: is it hoarding if Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:24 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I'm sitting here, just scrolling and having fun reading some of the posts I've not even looked at....LOL

These stories are so great and funny! Oh dear jeepers. I'm sitting here xxssing my pants laughing.

Michelle...you should publish some of those Family Stories...

SOooooo Funny!

I have a few stories, and I guess I take after my Mom when I do cooking for a crowd.
Mom would say,"OK, Everyone gather in the parlor and elsewhere, but please, if you want to eat all this food, get OUT OF MY Kitchen... PLEASE!!!!!....

I will write and tell of one that is really a shame, but funny now as I think of it!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum