Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

have you got your plans yet? For Turkey day.

+3
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
Barbara101
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Barbara101

Barbara101

Seems like around here Dd wants the same ole stuff.My corn Casserole.My sweet potato souffle.

She can make those god awful marshmellow ones for her boys.She can make that green bean thing for them too No not for me.yuck.

she can also make mashed.She can make the gravy too.lol.

I will make pie she can make that pumpkin cheesecake they like.Not me..No like..

I will make a few loaves of spicy pumpkin breads.I love you 

I plan on smoking turkey. Might do 2.One for them & one just for me.I will have the room for 2. I may make a dish of mac & cheese to smoke too.Turkeys on sale now.yes...I will buy 2 then stick them in the freezer.I like small ones 8-10 lbs ..

cranberry stuff for me..have you got your plans yet? For Turkey day. 3267860543 

dressing ??? corn bread for me. I do like a sourdough one .maybe..

always to much food going on..

bethk

bethk
Admin

I think we'll be getting together with Lyn & Bill, and maybe our friend, Barb, will still be here, too. Dane should be here by next Saturday or Sunday.

We'll have turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes & gravy, candied sweet potatoes, brussell sprouts, green beans, corn, some sort of salad (maybe the cabbage/apple/dried cherry/pecan one) and pumpkin pie. We have one picky eater and he'll want the turkey, dressing, potatoes & gravy, green beans and corn. Lyn wants the candied sweet potatoes because it's the only meal during the year she gets them and both Lyn & I want brussell sprouts. Dane will be happy just to have a home cooked meal and will eat some of everything.

I figure we'll have some leftover turkey & dressing (planned) but will attempt to make much smaller portions of the rest of the sides.

Last year Lyn decided she wanted to purchase a prepared (store roasted) turkey. Never again.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Turkey Day we call it...

Finally got some word of what is going on here for Thanksgiving day.
I will cook the turkey starting T-Giving eve at around 11:30PM. At 250ºF oven slow slow.

DD is doing desserts and cookies, and Tina will make the pumpkin pies.

DD and DIL will do the veggies.

Last edited by UNCLE JIMMY on Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Crybaby

Crybaby

We smoke turkeys several times a year but I like to roast one in the oven for Thqnksgiving 'cause I like the smell in the house and I like messing with it (basting). We got a 19 lb. one yesterday so we'll have lots leftover for some turkey, andouille and oyster gumbo a couple of days later. Here's our menu, which rarely changes:

Roast Turkey with giblet gravy (I've already got several quarts of turkey stock in the freezer as I like to make tons of gravy)
Oyster Dressing
Cranberry Orange Sauce
Pearl Onions in Cream Sauce
Candied Yams
Roasted Brussel Sprouts (a new addition)

For appetizers, we're having Sausage Rolls in Puff Pastry and Parmesan Toasts.

Brian did the shopping yesterday (bless his heart) and I showed him a picture of the fresh "stem" of brussel sprouts in the grocery ad so he would know what I wanted, as we've never had them before. He told me that if he ever wanted to pick up women at the grocery, that he would put one of those brussel sprout stems in his cart. He said at least five or six women stopped him to talk about the brussel sprouts and how they cooked them, how they loved them, how he planned on cooking them or how that would make a nice table decoration. He was giggling the entire time he told me about them! And yes, he is a very nice looking man!

I cannot wait, as Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday -- Christmas without the hassel of presents and/or shopping.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Mr. Amazing won't be arriving here until Thanksgiving day....long story ~ I'm not happy about it ~ 'nuf said.

But, Lyn wants to have Thanksgiving on Friday since it's just the 4 of us. So I guess that's what we'll do. Turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, giblet gravy (plain, too), brussel sprouts w/bacon & shallots, roasted cauliflower, red beets & pumpkin pie. We made a pact to drop the salads & breads. She & I both love the brussel sprouts, she wants to try the roasted cauliflower, her husband loves beets. Dane still won't be awake so it won't matter to him what we fix....

Michelle - you'll LOVE the fresh taste of the sprouts on the stem. I've only found them once and I thought they were wonderful.

NormM

NormM

i plan to make dinner for the three of us on Wed. since the other two will have to work on Thursday. I will be making a simple basic dinner of turkey, dressing, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, gravy, green bean casserole because Cassie wants it... she will make it, cranberry sauce, Cassie wants to make banana bread and I think I'll make Challah bread, pecan and pumpkin pies.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Turkey Day we call it...

Finally got some word of what is going on here for Thanksgiving day.
I will cook the turkey starting T-Giving eve at around 11:30PM. At 250ºF oven slow slow.

DD is doing desserts and cookies, and Tina will make the pumpkin pies.

DD and DIL will do the veggies.
I forgot to mention, We are having home made Manicotti stuffed with pot cheese. ( Ricotta )

I fill up on them, and not the turkey.

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
I fill up on them, and not the turkey. [/font][/size]
Yes....and THEN it's difficult to tell which at the table is the stuffed turkey...the bird or Jimmy!

have you got your plans yet? For Turkey day. 2876911673 

(just joshin', Jimmy, you KNOW I love ya.)

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
I fill up on them, and not the turkey. [/font][/size]
Yes....and THEN it's difficult to tell which at the table is the stuffed turkey...the bird or Jimmy!

have you got your plans yet? For Turkey day. 2876911673 

(just joshin', Jimmy, you KNOW I love ya.)
Haaaaaaa.... You are right Beth! I know you are joshin Beth.

I'm joshin with Tina now, as I write on the computer, and she is mixing macaroni salad. Naturally, I am Humming " He sees you when your sleeping; he knows if you are awake; he knows if you are bad or good....etc etc etc.

Ooops! She just opened the freezer, and an avalanche happened on the floor.
..... Stopped Humming, although I would love to! hahahahahaha

Barbara101

Barbara101

I decided that I will not run myself ragged.Dd says no to turkey.They want ham,so she can cook that at her house.I will have turkey at MY house for me..and my 'girls'..They will get the dark meat.
I planned on smoking it but have changed to bacon wrapped with maple syrup basting.

Corn casserole.I made MY cranberry relish for me,no on else likes it.
DD says they want marshmallows on the sweet p she can make that too. No way would I make that.
she can make mashed,she makes packaged gravy lol
she makes stovetop lol hey it is not that bad & they will eat it.Instead of asking me why I put sausage or apples or raisins in it.They pick out the onions & celery.Why should I go to the trouble.

I did make pumpkin pie if they eat some great if not I will.She makes pumpkin cheesecake .I hate that stuff.

green veggie?? who knows. God forbid if I made brussels sprouts affraid have you got your plans yet? For Turkey day. 2855670339 
Oh & she will make crock pot mac & cheese.

Man I miss the good ole days when I decked out my dining room & fixed everything to my liking.

well the good thing is I wouldn't be overstuffed nor worked my butt off.Or have spent $200 for food......

Can you be Grinch for Thanksgiving too.I feel like it.
have you got your plans yet? For Turkey day. 829809188    have you got your plans yet? For Turkey day. 829809188

NormM

NormM

Since we are having our dinner today, I made bread and a cake yesterday, baked a couple of pies and made a sauce for yams.  Cassie made banana bread and assembled green bean casserole to be cooked today. She insisted on the casserole. Charlie and I would just as soon have plain cooked green beans.  I am simmering turkey neck with onions, carrots and celery to make stock for gravy. Later today will make dressing.  Cranberry sauce will be from a can. It isn't any better appreciated when I make it from scratch. Turkey goes in the oven around 2pm. Mashed potatoes after that.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I almost bought a turkey yesterday ( never cooked one before).. the store have turkey from 8 lbs to 20 lbs.. I looked for the 8 lbs one, but it ran out of it.. the guy picked the smallest he had for me, it was about 10 lbs.. I put it in my cart, walked around the store, then decided to put it back on the rack and got 1 pack of thigh and drumstick instead.. it's just the 2 of us and I'm sure we'll have bunch of leftover from my in-laws Laughing 

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda, if you do decide you want to get one to put in your freezer to cook later, just think of it as a really big chicken. It's easy to cook and at the price they are at this time of the year it's an inexpensive meat, even if you cut it into pieces to cook whenever you want it.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I just put the bird in a pot with salt water, and it's soaking on the back deck.

Stuffing for Tina and me is done. The DIL and DDs BF like stovetop one.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Update...11.28.2013 03:40:44 Tom is in the oven cooking.
I suffed his butt with stuffing Tina Made, and oiled and salted and peppered him...and Oven on 300ººF slow and low.
We don't eat till 2-3ish . The kids have places to go; so they want to eat early.
Tina made the manicotti and they are in the pan foiled and ready to go in the oven. Actually 2 pans with a total of 24 home made delectable filled shells.

Lighted the pilot on the other oven so that the kids can bake the dinner rolls and whatever, and the manicotti.

I set the alarm for 2 am...got the bird in to cook, and now I am wide awake!...It's like 4am .

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

bethk

bethk
Admin

And Happy Thanksgiving to you and Tina, Jimmy!

Sounds like you have everything under control. Since I haven't slept at all last night I know how you're feelin'.... but, hey, I can be pretty sure I'll fall asleep in the chair for a couple hours this afternoon. I've got pies to make and vegetables to prep for our Thanksgiving dinner that we'll be cooking and enjoying tomorrow with Lyn & Bill.

Have a wonderful day!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Brian and I are having a DREAM Thanksgiving -- just the two of us, and we're so excited. We have no problem with turkey leftovers, as we usually make a big pot of Turkey, Andouille and Oyster gumbo once we have munched on the turkey for a couple of days. We've got a 19 lb. one to cook today, as I always get a big one to ensure lots of leftovers.

But this is a recipe for a dish that used to be all over New Orleans when I was a kid but you rarely see it anymore. But it's delish and I thought some of you who get sick of turkey right away might like it.

Turkey Poulette
Makes 8 servings. Recipe from Times-Picayune, 11.27.13.

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk (some use part cream or cream and Half & Half
Parmesan cheese, freshly grated, to taste or about 1/2 cup*
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
8 slices bread, crusts trimmed, toasted
Turkey breast in thick slices, about 3/4 pound total**
8 strips crisp-cooked bacon
Paprika
Cayenne pepper, optional
A tablespoon of dry sherry, optional

Melt butter in saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in flour. Add milk gradually and stir until smooth. Place over low heat and stir constantly until thick. Stir in cheese and mushrooms and continue heating slowly for about 30 seconds. Add the dry sherry, if using. Cover and set aside.

Meanwhile, prepare toasts and bacon. Slice turkey, if necessary. Everything up to this point can be done in advance.

To assemble, place toasts on a large baking sheet. Spread some of the cream sauce lightly on each piece of toast. Place two turkey slices each on toasts and then a strip of bacon. Cover with more sauce and sprinkle with paprika and, if desired, additional grated cheese and cayenne.

To serve, place under broiler for a few minutes until bubbly and golden brown. Serve hot.

*Cheddar cheese can be substituted (white cheddar would be best).

**For a do-ahead meal, bake a whole or half turkey breast, depending on numbers being served, several days in advance and keep refrigerated until ready to use. For a shortcut, buy thick slices of turkey from a deli.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby, that recipe reminds me of the "hot brown" sandwiches in, is it Lousiville? Not sure ~ but it sounds similar except for the cheese. I'll have to Google it and see what I can find. But for sure, there is a million highly anticipated "leftover" recipes that will be made in the coming week.

I just pulled my pies out of the oven to cool. It seems so strange to only be making two (well, the baby one doesn't count....it'll be a "test" taste tonight).

The cherry crostada will get slipped out of the dish and off the parchment to a serving plate. I use the pie plate to keep the canned filling from spreading too much and the parchment so any sugar from the topping doesn't let it stick and then the crust breaks when you try to remove it from the pie plate. I love the look and crunch of the Sweedish Pearl Sugar for holiday baking.

have you got your plans yet? For Turkey day. Pies

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Because there is way too much food left....I am being told it is my fault.
DW and DD are here arguing because DD won't take food.
I said," I am just gonna let it rot until It gets to the point where I throw it out to the animals.
DD has 16 pigs to feed, so she can take it to feed them.
I cannot believe this is happening.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

we went to have Thanksgiving dinner at my in-laws' place.. it was much simpler than years before.. not too many kind of dishes.. the turkey she got was only 11 lbs and we still had a lot of leftover.. my MIL is on no salt diet, so she never puts salt on her cooking and her turkey was very simple too.. no brining, no rubbing, no seasoning, only covered the bird with oil soaked cloth and roasted for 5 hours.. and believe me.. it turned out so juice and tender, as for flavor we had to add salt on it and I brought my chili sauce with me, it really was a perfect match for the turkey and oh I love  the dark meat.. Laughing 

have you got your plans yet? For Turkey day. DSCN9522

have you got your plans yet? For Turkey day. 40

have you got your plans yet? For Turkey day. 37-1

here is half of the turkey and we only ate 1/3 of it.. we brought some leftover home and just now my DH is having his turkey sandwich for supper

have you got your plans yet? For Turkey day. 38

here is my plate.. candied yam, green bean casserole, mashed potato, we had cranberry sauce too which tasted so good ( I like it with my toast Smile ) .. no stuffing for me though

have you got your plans yet? For Turkey day. 39

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda, your meal looks wonderful! I, too, am a huge dark meat fan. I'm sure your chili sauce was the perfect accompaniment to the turkey, giving it some spice without covering the taste of the bird. Yum!

Barbara101

Barbara101

Jimmy that is such a waste of food & money not to mention time to go buy it & cook it.I get upset if I have to throw out a spoiled green onion .lol

I don't buy food that I know is to much for me to use,well I do Embarassed when I buy a bag of peppers only for the colored ones & I am left with the green.

I can't afford to waste money on food wasting.

Barbara101

Barbara101

Beth your pies look wonderful.Perfect..

Imelda your dinner looks great.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:Jimmy that is such a waste of food & money not to mention time to go buy it & cook it.I get upset if I have to throw out a spoiled green onion .lol

I don't buy food that I know is to much for me to use,well I do Embarassed when I buy a bag of peppers only for the colored ones & I am left with the green.

I can't afford to waste money on food wasting.
Barb.... Tina and I are not food wasters. hahaha We are the same way about using all we have on hand.
You should see Tina crack an egg, and it sort of torques my jaw, when she will sit there and with her finger, scrape each shell half to get out every drop of that whites. Her Grandma did it, and said,"Dolly, if you scrape out the egg, you are not wasting anything!" .....

It's the KIDS that are the wasters. OMG... They have the Easy Come; Easy Go mentality.
Now, and example is, DD made mashed cauliflower, then she made Whole cauliflower. DIL Made Cauliflower seasoned.
3 Kinds or beans.... Corn ... Squash... Rutabaga ...broccoli twa ways... So many vegetables and only 7 people to eat.

The problem, is the Kids are TOO LAZY to take food home when they leave.
OMG... it's unbelievable. When I tell them to take the food, it's like asking them to take manure home.
Tina cleaned all the meat off the bird, and she made a big pot of turkey soup.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

IMELDA... good looking bird. Nice size too.
I always say,"The smaller the bird, the tastier the meat!"

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum