Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Turkey Day approaching! Ideas??

+3
bethk
Barbara101
cookingirl
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Turkey Day approaching! Ideas??  Empty Turkey Day approaching! Ideas?? Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:12 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Hi everyone!
Yes, I decided to start a thread!! Twisted Evil 
But it is because I need some thoughts on this---
that is my ulterior motive:twisted: Twisted Evil 

I am supplying the butternut squash for family T-day.
There will be 16 adults there.
How many squashes would you buy?
I was thinking 3 or 4...

another selfish question!!Suspect 
I usually peel, seed, cube and steam them stove top in a steamer basket.
Then I mash and add a touch of brown sugar, a splash of pure maple syrup, s&p, and plenty of butter.

my dilemma:
Since I have issues with my right shoulder (dominant arm) I cannot even imagine tackling all of this.
I am still in pain.
Question:
Do you think if I halve them, lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and then bake them. It would turn out ok.
I could just scoop out the flesh, after baking, and then mash with my hand held mixer.
I mean would the texture be ok.
I think this would be easier for me.

Another question:
Can I do this the day before T-day and then refrigerate.
I could mix it all up and re-heat at my cousins.

Thanks in advance for your help

Turkey Day approaching! Ideas??  2737772972 

cyn

2Turkey Day approaching! Ideas??  Empty Re: Turkey Day approaching! Ideas?? Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:24 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

they have frozen. already smashed.do you have to make that squash?I have a devil of a time cutting one myself.Last time I gave it a good whack with a cleaver.Then it still did not cut all the way.I had to bang the thing till the cleaver went to the other side..lol.

to bad you couldn't do dressing or pies.or a green veggie or sweet potato souffle.

3Turkey Day approaching! Ideas??  Empty Re: Turkey Day approaching! Ideas?? Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:46 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookingirl - good to have you stop by for any reason!

I would cook 2 good size butternut squash - and you can do them in the microwave until soft enough to cut through and then cut in half and finish in the oven so some of the moisture dries out. Or, if you don't mind it taking 2 or more hours, you CAN just put them on a rimmed pan (I'd coat with foil) whole and just let 'em bake until tender.

You could do this days in advance and refrigerate. No need to stress about it.

OR - you could go to Sam's Club and get their frozen sweet potato casserole and put it into your own casserole dish and bake it off ~ just don't tell your family that's what you did. I've had that a couple times and it's delicious!

4Turkey Day approaching! Ideas??  Empty Re: Turkey Day approaching! Ideas?? Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:00 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Microwaving the squash definitely helps with the cutting process. Some stores sell the squash fresh and already cubed. I don't know if this would make things easier but have you thought about a butternut squash soup? I have a vague recipe that was given to me that is quite good. It is seasoned with cinnamon and nutmeg and just before serving you throw in some candied ginger and the top of the soup has a glom of creme fraiche. This is the only way I will eat the squash. Be glad to give the recipe.

5Turkey Day approaching! Ideas??  Empty Re: Turkey Day approaching! Ideas?? Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:37 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster, please add your recipe. The last squash soup I had was way too sweet. I don't know why people think it has to taste like a sweet potato marshmallow casserole.

6Turkey Day approaching! Ideas??  Empty Re: Turkey Day approaching! Ideas?? Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:24 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

The amount of ginger and the sugar you use determines the amount of sweetness.

Butternut Squash Soup
Servings: 4
Categories: Soup & Stew
Directions
1.Preheat oven to 375°. Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Brush cut ends with butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg. Place cut side up in roasting pan. Add 1/2 cup of water and cover with foil. Bake 30 to 40 minutes till tender. Uncover and brown slightly. When cool enough to handle, scoop out squash. In a 6 quart stockpot, melt butter and oil over medium heat. Add onions and carrots and cook, covered 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add squash and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes till vegetables are soft. Ladle soup in a blender and blend till smooth add milk to make desired consistency. Pour soup into a clean pot to reheat. Season with salt and pepper. Chop ginger and sprinkle over top of soup. Season creme fraiche with cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar. Drizzle over top of soup.

Ingredients

2 1/2 pounds butternut squash
3 tablespoons melted butter
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 chopped onion
2 peeled and chopped carrots
2 cloves minced garlic
3 cups chicken broth
1-2 cups milk
2 tablespoons brown sugar
Crystalized ginger
Creme fraiche

7Turkey Day approaching! Ideas??  Empty Re: Turkey Day approaching! Ideas?? Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:07 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

that soup sounds great.I copy it.

only thing with cyn making it ,hers is for 13 ppl.Big pot of soup there lol Then her getting it there.

8Turkey Day approaching! Ideas??  Empty Re: Turkey Day approaching! Ideas?? Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, hey, Cyn ~ Barb's comment made me think of something.

It's been my experience with a large crowd of family bringing stuff for a holiday meal that you should never make your dish any larger than a 9 X 13 casserole. There will be so many offerings that everyone will just have room for a small serving of each dish.

Nothing I dislike more than trying to get cousins to all take a bit of my leftover casserole home ~ it ends up getting tossed and that's such a waste.

Of course, you could always volunteer to take deviled eggs. They're always the FIRST to get eaten, along with the olives.

lol! 

9Turkey Day approaching! Ideas??  Empty Re: Turkey Day approaching! Ideas?? Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:41 pm

JanaAZ

I was at Costco (or was it Sam's) the other day, and they had already cut and cubed squash. It costs a little more, but it would save you a ton of work and hopefully minimize your pain.

10Turkey Day approaching! Ideas??  Empty Re: Turkey Day approaching! Ideas?? Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:51 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Thanks Everyone for the suggestions!
I am seriously thinking about the pre cleaned squash..

If I do decide to go rustic; how long would I nuke it?
I will make it the day before--I am home from work that day- and refrigerate it.

Bugster--the soup sounds delish! I may make it for myself..
I know my family and it would not go over with them. I am much more adventurous! I love butternut squash soup. They are white bread and potatoes..

Funny thing is, I introduced most of them to butternut squash. There are never any leftovers and people make sure what is left over is taken home with them!!
They love my squash!

My cousin, who does not cook, is hosting it this year. Last time she did, another cousin, male (good cook) did most of it!

She has been freaking out for months about it.
One cousin is doing the potatoes, I have the squash, her brother (a chef) is making desserts, and who knows who else has been assigned what!
She said she can do the turkey and gravy...(fingers crossed). Last time she had a lot of help with it!  I hope there is stuffing!!! I could do without the turkey.What a Face 

I have a surprise for her.  My crafty cousin (other side of family) has made her a T-day apron to wear. There is a big turkey in front.  Twisted Evil I am so bad!

Thanks again! I knew I could rely on my friends here!
Turkey Day approaching! Ideas??  911454047 

Turkey Day approaching! Ideas??  2453703928

11Turkey Day approaching! Ideas??  Empty Re: Turkey Day approaching! Ideas?? Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:18 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

"If I do decide to go rustic; how long would I nuke it?
I will make it the day before--I am home from work that day- and refrigerate it."

Cyn - put the cut/cleaned squash in a covered casserole dish (I use Pyrex) and add a couple tbsp. of water and microwave for 5 minutes. Then stir & poke, if still real hard, do for another 5 minutes, and so on until it's almost tender. When you can stick it easily with a fork just let it sit with the cover on to let the carry-over heat finish it. If there's too much liquid in the dish, drain....otherwise just let it cool down and stick it in the fridge. The next day proceed with your recipe.

12Turkey Day approaching! Ideas??  Empty Re: Turkey Day approaching! Ideas?? Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:46 pm

jetfan27

jetfan27

We wre in NY last week and had an early Thanksgiving with Mom, Sister and a few cousins. It was real nice. Really missed Dad. Don't have plands for the real Thanksgiving but will definately be making the whole shebang for me and my beautiful wife and a crapload of leftovers!

13Turkey Day approaching! Ideas??  Empty Re: Turkey Day approaching! Ideas?? Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Glad you could stop by!

Boy, isn't that the truth about having to have a second holiday meal when you go somewhere. The best part of the meal is later in the week!

14Turkey Day approaching! Ideas??  Empty Re: Turkey Day approaching! Ideas?? Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:49 pm

jetfan27

jetfan27

Hey Beth,
Sorry I don't get by as much anymore. Real busy on the house. We are trying to sell it by ourselves now. Got a bite and they are coming back today to see it again. Hopefully a good sign. We are planning to move to Jersey so we will be nearer to our families on Long Island. Found some real nice places in Whiting. Keeping our fingers crossed.

15Turkey Day approaching! Ideas??  Empty Re: Turkey Day approaching! Ideas?? Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:47 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK - fingers, toes & eyes crossed here, too, then!

Good luck!

16Turkey Day approaching! Ideas??  Empty Re: Turkey Day approaching! Ideas?? Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:29 pm

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

Definitely go with the pre-cleaned/cubed squash and put it in a large covered casserole with a little water (to steam it), your seasoning and a little butter. Bake at 350 for an hour or so and drain and add the amount of butter you want at this point. I do this with lima beans, corn, and squash while I bake a meatloaf or chicken. I feel for you with your shoulder, something always hurts on me with the fibro and arthritis. I make my stuffing in a casserole and that's our favorite part of the meal.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum