Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

November, 2013 - what's cooking in the kitchen?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 11 of 12]

bethk

Admin
I'll tell you what, I could have made a meal with just me, a fork and that potato! OMG, looks so good.

Barbara101

bethk wrote:I'll tell you what, I could have made a meal with just me, a fork and that potato!  OMG, looks so good.

easy as pie. the hard part is getting a good sweet potato lol
I lay a wood spoon at each side .then cut down. I chopped the toasted pecans. Added a bit of butter & sugar free syrup.baked it..On greased foil,makes a sticky mess.

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:When Dane got here I boiled some noodles in chicken soup (sans noodles) I had in the freezer and made him a grilled cheese sandwich.  He "forgot" to eat lunch before he left the house yesterday and didn't stop for even a drive-thru sandwich on his way here ~ said he stopped 3 times for gasoline and made two other rest area stops.  He did drink a couple sodas.  Dummy.  He makes me SO angry!

But, after his soup, sandwich and a couple stiff drinks (for medicinal purposes only, I assure you....) he's now passed out on the sofa and won't wake up until supper's ready tonight.  And he'll still be able to sleep later.  

He said he "forgot" to bring any clothes, knowing he has a small supply here in the villa.  Unfortunately for him he's only got golf shorts & shirts.  So, guess who's going to get to go to the "Black Friday" sale at Kohl's when they open at 8 pm tonight?  There is NO way I'm going to allow him to wear his grubby work jeans he wore on the trip down here when we go to MY friends' home for a holiday meal tomorrow!  MEN!
Beth.. your Dane sounds like my Dirk Laughing  MEN Laughing

Imelda HL

Norm.. your turkey is beautiful

Barbara.. your too.. as well as your pie and potatoes

Beth.. thumbs up for your meal too

Imelda HL

today's dinner.. either New York steak or turkey soup.. I'll let him choose.. either one has to go with potatoes.. I just bought 10 lbs of potatoes for $2.50.. so turkey soup with potatoes or steak with mash potatoes Laughing

bethk

Admin
We had our holiday meal this evening.....

We're stuffed.

'Nuff said.....phew! glad we don't eat like that every day.

UNCLE JIMMY

I just had to have these instead of anything turkey.
CHILI DOGS

And the piggy got into the cookie jar.

bounce 

Barbara101

Not turkey..lol

bethk

Admin
Hahahahahaha! Thanks for the memo, Barb............

lol!  

Barbara101

geek at least you had veggie & salad. I ate shrimp ,well I did put melted butter on it .Lazy butt today.

Dreading picking that turkey tomorrow No Mad 

bethk

Admin
I have one up on you....

I dismantled the bird last night after dinner and left the meat with Lyn & have the carcass all broken up to simmer in the morning. I just didn't feel like messing with it today.

Tomorrow I have to deal with some leftovers. I have chicken noodle soup, ham & scalloped potatoes and turkey & dressing. Maybe soup for lunch and the ham for supper....if I smell the stock simmering all day I won't want to eat any more of the turkey. One more day should be OK to hold in the fridge since we had it just yesterday.

But the funniest part of the dinner was Lyn telling me how upset she was that her turkey didn't have any giblets. She only had the neck to simmer for stock for gravy. She wanted to bake the turkey in a cooking bag so it would stay moist and all the juices would stay neatly enclosed.

Well, when we got there and she had the bird out of the oven and resting on the stovetop. Perfect. It was going to have plenty of time to rest and let the juices settle and it would stay nice and warm tucked in that sealed cooking bag. I got busy on the vegetables and soon it was time to dish up and carve the bird.

Usually Bill carves for her as she dishes the sides but I said I'd do it. I started to pull off the legs & thighs to carve and then cut down the breast bone to take the full side of meat. I thought she had put stuffing into the neck cavity, which was odd since she said she was making the dressing in a casserole.

Well, guess what I found when I cut the crispy skin from the neck cavity ????

You got it ~ a well done paper bag of giblets !!!!

We laughed until we couldn't stand up ~ the guys just looked at us and we never admitted a thing to them.

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I have one up on you....

I dismantled the bird last night after dinner and left the meat with Lyn & have the carcass all broken up to simmer in the morning.  I just didn't feel like messing with it today.

Tomorrow I have to deal with some leftovers.  I have chicken noodle soup, ham & scalloped potatoes and turkey & dressing.  Maybe soup for lunch and the ham for supper....if I smell the stock simmering all day I won't want to eat any more of the turkey.  One more day should be OK to hold in the fridge since we had it just yesterday.

But the funniest part of the dinner was Lyn telling me how upset she was that her turkey didn't have any giblets.  She only had the neck to simmer for stock for gravy.  She wanted to bake the turkey in a cooking bag so it would stay moist and all the juices would stay neatly enclosed.  

Well, when we got there and she had the bird out of the oven and resting on the stovetop.  Perfect.  It was going to have plenty of time to rest and let the juices settle and it would stay nice and warm tucked in that sealed cooking bag.  I got busy on the vegetables and soon it was time to dish up and carve the bird.

Usually Bill carves for her as she dishes the sides but I said I'd do it.  I started to pull off the legs & thighs to carve and then cut down the breast bone to take the full side of meat.  I thought she had put stuffing into the neck cavity, which was odd since she said she was making the dressing in a casserole.

Well, guess what I found when I cut the crispy skin from the neck cavity ????

You got it ~ a well done paper bag of giblets !!!!

We laughed until we couldn't stand up ~ the guys just looked at us and we never admitted a thing to them.
Oh gosh, that is so funny!
I think we've all done that once!.......

bethk

Admin
But it's funny EVERY TIME it happens !!!!

I think I mentioned what happened to Lyn Thanksgiving before last.... She was SO excited to be hosting Thanksgiving for four friends. It was the first year in their new house and it was the first holiday she was going to be able to use her double ovens ! What luxury!

One of her friends is gluten free so his wife brought a small casserole of gluten free dressing. Another friend brought a big salad. Lyn prepared the rest of the meal. She said the turkey was beautiful, the table festive and everyone was in good spirits. Lyn's most difficult task is the timing of getting everything done and on the table at the same time, much like the rest of us. But she nailed it!

The meal was eaten and the kitchen cleaned up. She was exhausted but happy everything was tasty and her guests all had a good time. But she had an uneasy feeling she couldn't shake, finally just chalked it up to the holiday adrenelin rush.

Two days later she happened to preheat the oven to bake a pizza.....when she opened the oven door she discovered her casserole of dressing! OMG, she forgot to put it on the table.

Now she has a system. When she turns on the oven she turns on the oven light. If the light is on she is reminded to be sure it's empty before she sits down at the table....

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:But it's funny EVERY TIME it happens !!!!

I think I mentioned what happened to Lyn Thanksgiving before last....  She was SO excited to be hosting Thanksgiving for four friends.  It was the first year in their new house and it was the first holiday she was going to be able to use her double ovens ! What luxury!

One of her friends is gluten free so his wife brought a small casserole of gluten free dressing.  Another friend brought a big salad.  Lyn prepared the rest of the meal.  She said the turkey was beautiful, the table festive and everyone was in good spirits.  Lyn's most difficult task is the timing of getting everything done and on the table at the same time, much like the rest of us.  But she nailed it!  

The meal was eaten and the kitchen cleaned up.  She was exhausted but happy everything was tasty and her guests all had a good time.  But she had an uneasy feeling she couldn't shake, finally just chalked it up to the holiday adrenelin rush.

Two days later she happened to preheat the oven to bake a pizza.....when she opened the oven door she discovered her casserole of dressing!  OMG, she forgot to put it on the table.

Now she has a system.  When she turns on the oven she turns on the oven light.  If the light is on she is reminded to be sure it's empty before she sits down at the table....

I'm sitting here, thinking, duhhhhh???? What the heck is dressing???, a casserole of d r e s s I n g ? ? :
Ahhhh! Then it hit me! It's what we call "Stuffing!"
If it has mashed or ground or shredded potatoes in it, it's called "Filling". Especially in parts of Pennsylvania.

I'll never forget, we stopped at a Diner in PA in Myerstown, PA, and Tina asked for the Hot Turkey, and with stuffing, and mashed potatoes and gravy.
She then asked for a side order of "Filling!" .... The waitress said,"Ahem" "Excuse me Maam, the filling is a stuffing with mashed potatoes; just so you know!" ... Tina said,"That's OK" I love it all!
That doggie bag container weighed about three pounds with all the dressing, stuffing and filling, and the mashed potatoes and gravy she could never finish.
Geeze, she was picking on that container of stuff for two days!

Crybaby

Jimmy, I think people call it "dressing" when they don't stuff it in the turkey. When the turkey is stuffed with "it," they call it stuffing.

As most of you know, we smoke things all the time here and so we have smoked turkey several times a year. Over the years, I always prepared the turkey for the smoker and Brian did the smoking. One time he was off of work and wanted to smoke one, so he called me at work and asked me to walk him through what I did. I did remember to remind him to get out the neck and the bag of giblets and just put them aside for me to make gravy when I came home.

Well, after I was home a while, he told me that the turkey didn't have any giblets but just a neck. I said to him, "Did you check both holes?" meaning the neck end and the back end. His face was total shock -- he looked like a five-year-old -- and he said, "A turkey has TWO holes?" I swear, I could not stop laughing for 10 minutes. Once I could talk, I explained to him what I meant. Of course, there was the bag of giblets in the back end.

But you know, I have bought turkeys before where there WASN'T any giblets in the darn thing -- only a neck. It always ticks me off, even if I just plan to freeze the giblets for the next batch of gravy, as I feel like I paid for something I didn't get. When having a big crowd for Thanksgiving, I always purchase extra giblets from the grocery so I can make an extra large batch of gravy.

But I think everyone I know has at least once left a bag of giblets in the turkey -- once I was a guest at a really good cook's house and as they sliced the breast at the table, out peeked that little bag!

bethk

Admin
And, it's funny EVERY time, huh?

But it's especially funny when it happens to you the SECOND time. One year EVERY TIME I looked across the table at my oldest daughter we both burst out laughing.....I still giggle just thinking about it!

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:Jimmy, I think people call it "dressing" when they don't stuff it in the turkey.  When the turkey is stuffed with "it," they call it stuffing.  

As most of you know, we smoke things all the time here and so we have smoked turkey several times a year.  Over the years, I always prepared the turkey for the smoker and Brian did the smoking.  One time he was off of work and wanted to smoke one, so he called me at work and asked me to walk him through what I did.  I did remember to remind him to get out the neck and the bag of giblets and just put them aside for me to make gravy when I came home.  

Well, after I was home a while, he told me that the turkey didn't have any giblets but just a neck.  I said to him, "Did you check both holes?" meaning the neck end and the back end.  His face was total shock -- he looked like a five-year-old -- and he said, "A turkey has TWO holes?"  I swear, I could not stop laughing for 10 minutes.   Once I could talk, I explained to him what I meant.  Of course, there was the bag of giblets in the back end.  

But you know, I have bought turkeys before where there WASN'T any giblets in the darn thing -- only a neck.  It always ticks me off, even if I just plan to freeze the giblets for the next batch of gravy, as I feel like I paid for something I didn't get.  When having a big crowd for Thanksgiving, I always purchase extra giblets from the grocery so I can make an extra large batch of gravy.

But I think everyone I know has at least once left a bag of giblets in the turkey -- once I was a guest at a really good cook's house and as they sliced the breast at the table, out peeked that little bag!
Oh Lord! .... That is so funny!
I did have a oven stuffer chicken that I pulled out the neck, and the bag of innards from the behind, and when I went to wash the bird, there was a bag of more innards in the neck area.
It was funny...two hearts ...two plucks.... two livers, but only one neck!

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:I did have a oven stuffer chicken that I pulled out the neck, and the bag of innards from the behind, and when I went to wash the bird, there was a bag of more innards in the neck area.
So that's where mine went!

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
Uncle Jimmy wrote:I did have a oven stuffer chicken that I pulled out the neck, and the bag of innards from the behind, and when I went to wash the bird, there was a bag of more innards in the neck area.
So that's where mine went!  
Ha Ha Ha ..... there you go....

Actually, I never use the bag of innards. Tina used to boil the neck and gizzards only, and use it to make or add it to the gravy.
No More! .... All the flavor comes in a jar with a picture of a chicken on it! LOL

Barbara101

Actually, I never use the bag of innards. Tina used to boil the neck and gizzards only, and use it to make or add it to the gravy.
No More! .... All the flavor comes in a jar with a picture of a chicken on it! LOL

Me either. I toss it. I did for a while cook it for the cat,she would not eat it,she tried to bury it lol so then I tried to feed it to her raw. Nope she was not having that.

Crybaby

Barbara101 wrote:Actually, I never use the bag of innards. Tina used to boil the neck and gizzards only, and use it to make or add it to the gravy.

Me either. I toss it. I did for a while cook it for the cat,she would not eat it,she tried to bury it lol so then I tried to feed it to her raw. Nope she was not having that.
I wish I lived near you two so I could have your gizzards. You could at least use them to make some stock...

I find the other stuff makes everything too salty. The only thing I do different now is I really brown (or roast if I have a free oven) the giblets, neck and onions cut in half prior to adding stock (homemade, so no salt). My mom used to just boil them but then I read about 10 years ago that they have more flavor if they're browned first -- and I agree!

bethk

Admin
Yes, frying them up in a skillet of bacon fat (oh, golly, did I just suggest that???) and then simmering them is a huge flavor boost. Since Mr. Amazing is a big fan, and I'm not, I usually make extra giblets that are not toasted in the fat so I can chop them to go into his dressing and gravy. The only thing I don't use is the liver. I've not seen a chicken/turkey liver I like the looks of in many years. The ones I see are usually off-color and I won't cook those for him.

UNCLE JIMMY

When Tina was a little girl, she and her cousin would to fight over who gets the Gizzard in the soup.

Now...Tina buys a whole container of them, and cooks them in soup. I will not let a drop of that soup touch me or my dish.

Imelda HL

I love gizzards and livers.. my DH too.. sometime we went to our local fried chicken place to get their deep fry gizzards and livers,, so good.. and some time I cooked them in spicy coconut milk.. yum

Barbara101

grilled bacon cheeseburger  

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum