Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

November, 2013 - what's cooking in the kitchen?

+6
Bugster2
Crybaby
Barbara101
UNCLE JIMMY
NormM
bethk
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 12]

Barbara101

Barbara101

November, 2013 - what's cooking in the kitchen? - Page 6 28863_371188782962696_937690106_n

BLT..

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Thank you Barbara Smile 

I cooked my boneless short ribs, marinated in oyster and sweet soy sauce, sauteed with a bit of oil, chopped onions, jalapeno pepper and minced garlic, a bit of sesame oil added.. cilantro and green onion also added at the end.. they were yummy.. I rolled the meats with my leftover yellow rice in lettuce leaves.. my hubby had 6 rolls Laughing 

and thanks to Beth.. I did not overcook them.. I tried one piece of the meat and it was tender enough..so I turned off the heat before I overcooked them

November, 2013 - what's cooking in the kitchen? - Page 6 7-1

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Fed off leftover sloppy Joes. ehh!
It was so,so.
Tina had a meatball and a sausage.
GD made lipton soup with extra noodles, and peas and carrots.
Been busy today prepping living room and hallway for new carpeting Friday....boring.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:November, 2013 - what's cooking in the kitchen? - Page 6 28863_371188782962696_937690106_n

BLT..
Nice bread for the b l t ....

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:Thank you Barbara Smile 

I cooked my boneless short ribs, marinated in oyster and sweet soy sauce, sauteed with a bit of oil, chopped onions, jalapeno pepper and minced garlic, a bit of sesame oil added.. cilantro and green onion also added at the end.. they were yummy.. I rolled the meats with my leftover yellow rice in lettuce leaves.. my hubby had 6 rolls Laughing 

and thanks to Beth.. I did not overcook them.. I tried one piece of the meat and it was tender enough..so I turned off the heat before I overcooked them

November, 2013 - what's cooking in the kitchen? - Page 6 7-1
Imelda. Nice with the rice.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barb, we must be on the same wave length....I've got an avocado on the counter that is just begging to be made into a BLT. Now I just need the time to get it made and eaten. Just to be safe, I think I'm going to stash that avocado in the refrigerator so it stops ripening.....

Imelda ~ your short rib lettuce wraps look yummy. Neat idea, although I would probably have stood at the stove and just eaten your flavorful beef right out of the pan!

New carpet - Uggggg! I know it'll be nice when it's down, but all the movin' and then findin' stuff that needs to be fixed, adjusted, repainted.....phew! Better plan on an energy meal to be sure!

Barbara101

Barbara101

heheheh that bread was .90c in the sale bin.I buy a baguette like that to make croutons.I oh heck,I feel a sandwich coming on.Razz 

Ya I should know better then to buy avocados on sale.

I want this carpet out of here so bad!!!!!!!!but what I would have to do to get it I Do not want to think about..Mad Mad 

DS told me hey put it in yourself,it is cheaper then moving lol. But But I can't make my bedroom bigger,or my kitchen bigger ,or have a nice stand in shower instead of that TUB>>or a GARAGE!!

My rent is sooooooooooooo cheap tho..

I bought a package beef short bones , ( $1.50) for my girls Embarassed Guy said oh ya you can cook them of feed raw like I do the marrow bones.they have hard bone that won't splinter. OMG both of them growled like crazy, They ran around trying to hide them & I watched till they had chewed long enough. I had to take that bone away I was scared lol lol.
Actually I won't buy them again for them.They seemed much softer then marrows.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Correct, Barb, no short rib bones. Think about where they come from ~ the rib cage area.

A marrow bone is usually a leg bone and probably the hardest in the beast. Rib bones have thinner outsides and will splinter.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Barbara, I like your BLT "spread" -- looks so pretty. Thanks for posting the pic for us all.

Barbara101

Barbara101

November, 2013 - what's cooking in the kitchen? - Page 6 2737772972 

Crybaby

Crybaby

Barbara101 wrote:November, 2013 - what's cooking in the kitchen? - Page 6 2737772972 
You're getting to be quite the "photo stylist" around here!

bethk

bethk
Admin

And isn't it amazing how inspiring the pics are? Whenever I'm at a loss as to what to cook, I just scroll back and look at some of the previous meals and suddenly I'm inspired!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Has anyone seen the salty/sweet bacon wrapped chicken appetizer recipe that's plastered all over the internet lately? It's a really "detailed" recipe....

Boneless chicken breast cut into bite size pieces, a mixture of dry Italian dressing mix & brown sugar....chicken wrapped in pre-cooked bacon, then baked at 450° for 10 minutes or until done.

I'm thinking of making it to take to a patio party but wanted to try it out before I spring it on unsuspecting strangers....

It's a pretty tasty treat! Definitely, I'll be making and taking this one (easy) appetizer!

I cut boneless chicken breast into bite size pieces and wrapped in bacon I had cooked in the oven to render off some of the fat. Then I rolled/pressed the mixture of 1 pkg. dry Italian salad dressing mix with 1/2 c. brown sugar (for my purposes in my test I used 2 Tbsp. brown sugar & 1 tsp. dressing mix).

November, 2013 - what's cooking in the kitchen? - Page 6 ChixAppys

I baked the chicken bites on a rack in a 450° oven for 10 minutes, or until tested to 170° internal temp. w/thermapen.

November, 2013 - what's cooking in the kitchen? - Page 6 ChixAppysBaked

So, my supper was the test of the bacon wrapped chicken sweet & salty appetizers, rice pilaf or fried rice....oh, heck, left over rice with stuff added ~ and my leftover limas & sweet corn....succotash! YUM!

November, 2013 - what's cooking in the kitchen? - Page 6 111213

Barbara101

Barbara101

November, 2013 - what's cooking in the kitchen? - Page 6 940422454 looks awesome.

bethk

bethk
Admin

It was pretty tasty, Barb.

I'm 99% sure you could use a brown sugar sub to make the chicken.....a nicely spiced sweet & salty taste.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Beth.. May I test some of your chicken bites too? they really look so yummy.. I definitely will to steal the idea.. someday Laughing

bethk

bethk
Admin

Not a problem, Imelda, help yourself!

Pre-cooking the bacon was key to the recipe being successful, to be sure.  I just put the bacon in strips on a baking rack and cooked until it was starting to render the fat but still easy to wrap around the chicken chunks.  When cooled enough to handle I cut the strips in half ~ I think cutting into thirds would still give plenty of bacon flavor ~ and wrapped the chicken, securing with a toothpick.

Then I sprinkled some of the brown sugar / Italian dressing mixture on a plate and sprinkled more over, turning the pieces to cover well.  Then, on to the same baking rack and into a 450° oven for 10 minutes until cooked through but not dried out.

To take to a party I would remove the toothpicks used to hold on the bacon and reinsert a fancier, decorative pick.

I wonder how the carpet laying went for Jimmy & Tina today ???? Guess we'll hear about it in the morning, bet they're both too tired to move tonight.....

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Not a problem, Imelda, help yourself!

Pre-cooking the bacon was key to the recipe being successful, to be sure.  I just put the bacon in strips on a baking rack and cooked until it was starting to render the fat but still easy to wrap around the chicken chunks.  When cooled enough to handle I cut the strips in half ~ I think cutting into thirds would still give plenty of bacon flavor ~ and wrapped the chicken, securing with a toothpick.

Then I sprinkled some of the brown sugar / Italian dressing mixture on a plate and sprinkled more over, turning the pieces to cover well.  Then, on to the same baking rack and into a 450° oven for 10 minutes until cooked through but not dried out.

To take to a party I would remove the toothpicks used to hold on the bacon and reinsert a fancier, decorative pick.

I wonder how the carpet laying went for Jimmy & Tina today ????  Guess we'll hear about it in the morning, bet they're both too tired to move tonight.....

Those bacon wrapped chicken chunks look great Beth! I'll bet scallops would be good like that, and the Pre Bake with the bacon is a super great idea too!

We are both tired. I pulled all the furniture except The Tina Chair, and the TV.
The carpet Doctor is coming Friday.
Tomorrow I paint the ceiling and the doors and trim in the hallway.

Now we had just installed a brand new wood laminate floor in the living room last year. Tina wants carpeting .... Another reason is, rather than spend three thousand dollars on new stairs, it is cheaper to carpet them entirely.

Here is a pic of Tina's upside down couch hanging on the bannister and railings.

BTW... we had hoagies and meatballs take out today for supper.

November, 2013 - what's cooking in the kitchen? - Page 6 5luw

November, 2013 - what's cooking in the kitchen? - Page 6 W5os

November, 2013 - what's cooking in the kitchen? - Page 6 0wlk

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy - you be careful!  Good god, you're gonna hurt yourself.....

Call Lenny. Call Jim, Jr.  Stop movin' all that stuff by yourself.

Geesh!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Jimmy - you be careful!  Good god, you're gonna hurt yourself.....

Call Lenny. Call Jim, Jr.  Stop movin' all that stuff by yourself.

Geesh!
Oh! Don't worry Beth!
I had Tina put the couch up there! affraid 

No...only kidding! ... I had the guy next door help me.

Right now, Tina is painting the bay window in the kitchen. I love you 
I'm still trying and waiting to get the crooks out of my bones. LOL

Barbara101

Barbara101

November, 2013 - what's cooking in the kitchen? - Page 6 Beansampcrisp011mk

November, 2013 - what's cooking in the kitchen? - Page 6 Img_8633

NormM

NormM

Everyone's food looks great.

I boned a chicken and soaked chunks of the white meat in buttermilk while the dark meat went in a marinade with soy sauce and sake. I wanted to see the difference so breaded the white meat with seasoned flour and the dark meat with potato flour.  This isn't a very good picture but here it is with zucchini sauteed with basil, tomato and garlic.  That's ginger ale in the glass. I made stock with the bones and back.

November, 2013 - what's cooking in the kitchen? - Page 6 DSCN0955_zpsc17c234e

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Beth.. I had fun using my serrated peeler on my zucchini and carrot, then I steamed them with a bit of beef broth in my microwave.. today I cooked sweet, sour and spicy beef.. I boiled my beef (Top Round Roast) with coriander powder + minced garlic and shallots + a bit of fresh tamarind + salt and black pepper), I slow cooked it for 2 hours until the beef is tender.. I let it cold, then sliced it in 1 cm cut.. then I pan fried them with cooking spray, only to brown them

I sauteed minced onion + jalapeno peppers + thai chili + garlic until fragrant, added vinegar, sugar and salt, added a bit of beef broth, then I added the beef and slow cooked for another 15 minutes.. they were so good.. tangy and spicy
Laughing 

November, 2013 - what's cooking in the kitchen? - Page 6 16-2

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Everyone's food looks great.

I boned a chicken and soaked chunks of the white meat in buttermilk while the dark meat went in a marinade with soy sauce and sake. I wanted to see the difference so breaded the white meat with seasoned flour and the dark meat with potato flour.  This isn't a very good picture but here it is with zucchini sauteed with basil, tomato and garlic.  That's ginger ale in the glass. I made stock with the bones and back.

So, Norm, which did you like better ~ the seasoned flour or potato flour?

I get corn flour (Bob's Red Mill) **NOT corn meal but corn FLOUR - and I use it to bread a lot of my fried foods, especially seafood. It's really light and not clumpy. Your meal looks good to me.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:Beth.. I had fun using my serrated peeler on my zucchini and carrot, then I steamed them with a bit of beef broth in my microwave.. today I cooked sweet, sour and spicy beef.. I boiled my beef (Top Round Roast) with coriander powder + minced garlic and shallots + a bit of fresh tamarind + salt and black pepper), I slow cooked it for 2 hours until the beef is tender.. I let it cold, then sliced it in 1 cm cut.. then I pan fried them with cooking spray, only to brown them

I sauteed minced onion + jalapeno peppers + thai chili + garlic until fragrant, added vinegar, sugar and salt, added a bit of beef broth, then I added the beef and slow cooked for another 15 minutes.. they were so good.. tangy and spicy
Laughing 

Looks good, Imelda! Isn't that julienne slicer fun to use? I think the vegetables taste different than when they are thick sliced. Your beef looks especially yummy!

Barb - so, how were the beans & corn bread? That's a real meal from the past for you, isn't it?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum