Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Baked Apples with Oatmeal ... and homeade creme fraiche recipe

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

muzicgirl

muzicgirl

The Kitchn is an interesting website that I enjoy reading.
http://www.thekitchn.com/weeknight-recipe-oatmealbrown-75752
I've gotten quite a few tasty recipes and ideas from them over the years. This morning, I made their recipe for baked apples ... my, oh, my, they were good!
Tasted like individual apple pies ... yum yum yum

Oatmeal-Brown Sugar Baked Apples

4 apples, like Jonagold, Fuji, or Honeycrisp
1/4 cup brown sugar (dark or light)
1/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Pinch cloves
1 tablespoon butter, divided in four
1 cup hot water

Optional extras: orange zest, lemon zest, grated ginger, candied ginger, raisins or other dried fruit, chopped nuts, cream cheese, mascarpone, peanut butter, nutella

Pre-heat oven to 375°F with a rack in the lower-middle position.
Remove the core of the apples, cutting to within a half inch of the bottom of the apple and creating a well roughly 3/4-inch wide. This is easy to do with an apple corer, but can also be done with a melon baller, grapefruit spoon, or a paring knife.

Mix the brown sugar, oatmeal, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and any extras in a bowl. Divide this mixture between the apples, packing the wells firmly.
Arrange the apples in a baking dish (like an 8x8 Pyrex dish), and top each one with a pat of butter. Pour the water into the bottom of the dish and cover loosely with aluminum foil.

Bake for 20 minutes and remove foil. Continue baking uncovered until the apples are soft and the brown sugar has melted into a syrup, an additional 20 to 30 minutes. You can test the apples by poking a paring knife through the oatmeal mixture and into the interior of the apple; it should slide into the apple easily with no resistance. The skin on the apples will also become wrinkled and soft by the end of cooking.

Serve with a scoop of ice cream, crème fraîche, or whipped cream. Leftovers will keep for up to a week and can be reheated in the microwave or eaten cold.

My experience was they needed to bake about 15 minutes longer than the recipe suggested. I served them with whipped cream, but think they would be delicious with creme fraiche, which is actually much easier to make for yourself than you might think ... http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/08/how-to-make-creme-fraiche.html ... but I hadn't planned that far ahead! Wink

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've made the crème fraiche before ~ it's delicious and it lasts forever!

And baked apples are something you can make for one or two, unlike an apple pie that ends up being too much for a small household.

muzicgirl

muzicgirl

bethk wrote:I've made the crème fraiche before ~ it's delicious and it lasts forever!

And baked apples are something you can make for one or two, unlike an apple pie that ends up being too much for a small household.

true! and with the oatmeal baked inside, that's a really delicious twist! Smile

Crybaby

Crybaby

Your baked apples sounded delicious, MG. We don't get a whole lot of variety in apples down here. We had friends who were from Cleveland who always complained about the lousy apples sold down here. I never really got it until they made a trip home and came back with about half a dozen or more different varieties of apples. My God, they were delicious. Brian and I still speak of them and it's been over 15 years since we tasted those apples...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum