Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Amazing dragonflies....a garden guest

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Amazing dragonflies....a garden guest Empty Amazing dragonflies....a garden guest Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:52 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I walked out to the courtyard this morning with my coffee to check out the temperature and just enjoy the sun as it was starting to appear ~ just like I do most mornings.

When I started back in the house to get a coffee refill I glanced up and saw this dragonfly, apparently too chilled in the 68° temperature to fly away. I just think they are beautiful creatures - the wings are like the finest lace. I returned with my coffee and watched as the sun light crept closer and closer to my eves where the dragonfly was hanging on.....and when the sun light (and heat) got to the body of the insect ~ ~ he (or she) took off! I do hope that dragonfly returns.

Amazing dragonflies....a garden guest Dragonfly

cookingirl

cookingirl

Where I live, facing wetlands, there are many dragonflies!

I could not believe how many we had this past summer. I have lived here for 7 years and this year the dragonflies outnumbered the regular flies!
One day I counted 12-14 flying around...

It was like an old horror movie, "Invasion of the Dragonflies"!! What a Face 

3Amazing dragonflies....a garden guest Empty Re: Amazing dragonflies....a garden guest Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:09 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

But they are so cool to watch !

I've just never seen them so large before. The one yesterday morning was at least 5" body length.

Crybaby

Crybaby

I like them, too, mainly 'cause they eat other insects.  I wouldn't have thought 68 degrees would be too chilly for them, though.  Go figure.

Years ago, my in-laws, now deceased, built a beautiful home with a pool in Florida. It had what they called a "cage" around the pool -- mandated by their homeowners' association. It wasn't bad as the screen was really, really fine and almost invisible. My MIL knew I love hummingbirds and told me they had tons of them prior to our visit. One morning I was out by the pool and she commented, pointing upward, about all the hummingbirds. I didn't see a single one and told her so. She kept pointing up and saying, "But there's hundreds of them, Michelle! How can you miss them?! Look at their gossamer wings!" I managed to not laugh out loud and said, "Mrs. B, those are dragonflies!" Eventually, we were both howling laughing. Poor heart -- I think she was getting a bit of dementia back then but none of us really noticed until we thought about a few things down the line and after the fact...

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

When I was a kid, we used to go up to the Resi, (The reservoir), and with our BB Guns, we would watch the hundreds of dragon flies and try and shoot them when they would hover over the edge of the water where the insects were! ..... Very Very hard to hit; because they are so fast in moving like a drone.

I wouldn't do that now, that I know they kill other insects.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum