Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013

+5
NormM
Barbara101
bethk
thesweetestpea
UNCLE JIMMY
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 14]

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

It does look yummy -- nothing better than a good burger. We browned more sausage and put in the freezer, made another batch of Savory Meat Base and then added a pkg. of Italian made gemelli and a jar of marinara and water. Let it cook for an hour and the macaroni was good and done. Now I have a blueberry pie in the oven and a batch of jumbo blueberry muffins ready to go in next. All the dishes are done and we're ready to fall out. Tomorrow will be a Dijon Pepper Steak cooked with baby carrots and onion, sautéed zucchini and Yukon Gold baked potatoes.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

thesweetestpea wrote:It does look yummy -- nothing better than a good burger.  We browned more sausage and put in the freezer, made another batch of Savory Meat Base and then added a pkg. of Italian made gemelli and a jar of marinara and water.  Let it cook for an hour and the macaroni was good and done.  Now I have a blueberry pie in the oven and a batch of jumbo blueberry muffins ready to go in next.  All the dishes are done and we're ready to fall out.  Tomorrow will be a Dijon Pepper Steak cooked with baby carrots and onion, sautéed zucchini and Yukon Gold baked potatoes.  
My My! All this food talk is making me drool and hungry again.

I'm gonna make the sausage cacciatori for tomorrow Now! How much ya wanna make a bet...Tina and I eat some later tonight when it's done?
hahahahahahaha

bethk

bethk
Admin

I went over to Lyn's for supper. We had little slider burgers done on the grill, inside some yummy brioche (sp?) buns....really a wonderful combo. She made a cucumber/green bean salad and we had a few chips along side.

Then we watched a movie ordered on their Apple TV thingy - I think it was "The Heat", with Sandra Bullock & that actress who plays Molly on TV....don't know her name. It was funny ~ but not a recommendation if foul language offends you.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a hankerin' for fish so this is what I ended up with.....

Panko fried cod, smushed/fried baby potatoes, Penzey seasoned green beans and the last of the cucumber/onion salad. Oh, and I fried up some green plantain into crispy, twice fried tostones to nibble on while I was cooking my supper.

( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 3 100513

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I had a hankerin' for fish so this is what I ended up with.....

Panko fried cod, smushed/fried baby potatoes, Penzey seasoned green beans and the last of the cucumber/onion salad.  Oh, and I fried up some green plantain into crispy, twice fried tostones to nibble on while I was cooking my supper.

( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 3 100513
Really a swell looking dinner Beth!... I like the idea of the smooshed taters, and the plantains. Haven't had plantains in ages.

Cod is my favorite too! ... Yum!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Well... It was a crazy all upside down meal day!
Now! Last night I made the sausage cacciatori to have today, but Tina made Eggplant Meatballs Baked in tomato sauce, and I got started on those, and couldn't stop eating them. I had three; and They are big babies.

I was so full, and then she went to the store to get Crisco Oil that was on sale for 2.70 a 1/2 gallon. She brought home Entenmans Chocolate coated doughnuts. .... Then, she made an apple cobbler. I am resting my tummy to have that cobbler in a little bit with a cup of coffee. Ummm!

One good thing! ... The sausage cacciatori will be for tomorrow.

GD won't eat sausage (hot) or eggplant...so Tina made her angelhair with Ragu canned sauce.

( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 3 32c3

( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 3 7w93

( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 3 Qycf

( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 3 Kr32

( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 3 B2bg

( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 3 Cbe0

NormM

NormM

We had butternut squash stuffed with onion, green pepper, hamburger, cheese and seasoning.

( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 3 DSCN0771_zpse1e04ed6

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

I all looks so good to me. I never thought of doing winter squash as an entrée, Norm. I'll have to try it since Larry loves butternut squash.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy - it looks like offerings for a huge family holiday meal! I'll bet those onions cooked down to sweet goodness in that sauce and sausages, I can almost taste it.

Norm - nice idea on the stuffed squash. I've only seen that done with acorn squash before - and, like Pea's Larry, butternut is one of my favorites. Actually, most winter squash are what I would consider a favorite.....I've got a spaghetti squash sitting on the countertop right now waiting for me to decide what to make to go with it.

Barbara101

Barbara101

( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 3 940422454 great food.( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 3 3593629538 

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Jimmy - it looks like offerings for a huge family holiday meal!  I'll bet those onions cooked down to sweet goodness in that sauce and sausages, I can almost taste it.

Norm - nice idea on the stuffed squash.  I've only seen that done with acorn squash before - and, like Pea's Larry, butternut is one of my favorites.  Actually, most winter squash are what I would consider a favorite.....I've got a spaghetti squash sitting on the countertop right now waiting for me to decide what to make to go with it.
Ha ha ha ...that's what happens when there is two cooks in the house cooking at the same time.

What is a shame...is the fact that with all that leftover...Tina wants Burgers on the grill for supper tonight!
In a Nasal Complaining Voice, Tina said,"Snort" "We Haven't had Burgers In a Long Time!" "Snort Snort!" ....... I said,"What about the sausage and peppers?"..... she said..."Oh! we'll Eat them; don't worry!"
Plus we are gonna try making those smooshed potatoes. Never had them, but Tina watched Bobby Flay make them on the cooking TV show. They look great!
Yours looked great with the codfish you made. Ummm!

Well... I gotta get my butt ouside on the tractor and ride over and mulch the leaves that came down already; before it rains tomorrow.

BTW...the onions helped carmelize the sausage chunks as I was browning them.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:We had butternut squash stuffed with onion, green pepper, hamburger, cheese and seasoning.

( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 3 DSCN0771_zpse1e04ed6
Looks delicious Norm!
Great Idea with the squash. We used to do eggplant like that, but the squash thing looks very tasty. I love butternut squash.
I eat it just cubed and boiled with lots of butter and sour cream.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy - those potatoes are super easy to make.

I like to use the little mini potatoes, smaller than a golf ball, and I'll either cook them in the microwave for a few minutes with a Tbsp. of water (covered with plastic wrap) or I'll steam them in water. But when they are just about completely cooked, drain & just let 'em sit in the hot dish or pan, covered with a cloth or folded paper towels.

I think the easiest way to "smush" them is on a board with a piece of plastic wrap over and smush while still warm with a flat potato masher. Or you can use a meat mallet - or a rolling pin - or just your hand. I put the plastic wrap over just so the potato doesn't get stuck to the square holes in the potato masher (plus, then I don't have to wash it....).

Then I scoop 'em off the board or mat with a spatula & into a bit of oil or oil/butter mix, season with s&p or whatever you like.

My man Jacques did HIS smushed/browned potatoes in a skillet w/lid. Added oil & a bit of water, covered & cooked until the water evaporated & potatoes tender. Then he smushed his potatoes with the bottom of a glass & just turned them in the hot oil in the skillet.

No matter how you make 'em, they're a tasty fried potato without much trouble. You can smush 'em thick or thin, whatever you like.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Jimmy - those potatoes are super easy to make.

I like to use the little mini potatoes, smaller than a golf ball, and I'll either cook them in the microwave for a few minutes with a Tbsp. of water (covered with plastic wrap) or I'll steam them in water.  But when they are just about completely cooked, drain & just let 'em sit in the hot dish or pan, covered with a cloth or folded paper towels.

I think the easiest way to "smush" them is on a board with a piece of plastic wrap over and smush while still warm with a flat potato masher.  Or you can use a meat mallet - or a rolling pin - or just your hand.  I put the plastic wrap over just so the potato doesn't get stuck to the square holes in the potato masher (plus, then I don't have to wash it....).

Then I scoop 'em off the board or mat with a spatula & into a bit of oil or oil/butter mix, season with s&p or whatever you like.

My man Jacques did HIS smushed/browned potatoes in a skillet w/lid.  Added oil & a bit of water, covered & cooked until the water evaporated & potatoes tender.  Then he smushed his potatoes with the bottom of a glass & just turned them in the hot oil in the skillet.

No matter how you make 'em, they're a tasty fried potato without much trouble.  You can smush 'em thick or thin, whatever you like.
Yeah! That's a good way to make the potatoes Beth.
Tina got a recipe from some chef show to boil the potatoes in 1 + 1/4 cup of salt! Awk Awk Awk....Yes..That much salt! They are supposed to magically make the inside of the boiling taters soft and moist, and are not salty!???
I have to question that? then it says oil with olive oil, and bake in the oven.
I want them fried and crispy. Or even done on the grill!!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Amazing how things change so quickly. Tina wants takeout pizza, and GD wants a Stromboli.
I am still having the sausage and peppers from the other day. Thank goodness I didn't thaw out the ground beef!

Barbara101

Barbara101

( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 3 DSCN0767

shrimp & broccoli fettuccine.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 3 DSCN0767

shrimp & broccoli fettuccine.
NICE SHRIMPS. I want broccoli and shells with butter and garlic sauce.bounce 

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We are all done eating. Bellies full...happy happy.

Had some pizza too. DD brought me a corn muffin; so I had that for dessert. GD only likes Orios for dessert.

Oooops! Forgot to mention. The Orios for Halloween are made with Orange Icing inside. OMG and they are really filled. Thicker than the plain white icing ones.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

HOT SAUSAGE & Peppers ; onions and potatoes.

( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 3 86vn

bethk

bethk
Admin

I want what Barb has....

I'm starving right now - had lunch around 2:00 and then helped Lyn with her huge fundraiser concert. We just got done. I'm thinking of going out to get something to eat. I wonder if anything is open late??? I don't think I've been out past 9:00 pm since I moved here.

But I'm gonna go look!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper Is DONE!
Thanks to Tina's ambition today!...She did a great job!
Maybe the Tornado Threat we are under made a Kitchen Tornado out of her!! I better post this quick because it's torrential rains out there! Y A Y !!!!!

MOUSSAKA:

( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 3 Fn53

( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 3 Bvj7

( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 3 Blpf

( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 3 Wx7k

( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 3 9wfa

bethk

bethk
Admin

Eggplant Lasagne ! Well, kind of......

I can see you smilin' in the background, Jimmy. You're one happy eater tonight, I just know it.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Eggplant Lasagne !  Well, kind of......

I can see you smilin' in the background, Jimmy.  You're one happy eater tonight, I just know it.
Beth! You hit the head right on the spoon, (as we say in cooking jargon ).

I have a smile ear to eat *oops! I meant ear! Always got eatin on the mind.

And to make it even better...Tina cooked half with no potatoes for me.
I will eat a slice of potato, but that's it for me. Gotta watch the carbs.
I would rather soak up the juices with hunks of bread instead! Actually...it's not that juicy. Laughing 

Now, because Tina was a good girl, and made that for me / us , I'm gonna make yeast raised waffle batter tonight for tomorrow's breakfast!.
Isn't that swell???...

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy - yer killin' me here!

"I will eat a slice of potato, but that's it for me. Gotta watch the carbs."

( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 3 2855670339 ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 3 2855670339 ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 3 2855670339 

(and don't EVEN suggest you don't know what I'm talkin' about.....)

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Jimmy - yer killin' me here!

"I will eat a slice of potato, but that's it for me. Gotta watch the carbs."

( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 3 2855670339 ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 3 2855670339 ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 3 2855670339 

(and don't EVEN suggest you don't know what I'm talkin' about.....)
No No No....I go by the food nutrition pyramid on the bread wrapper, and it shows bread; cereals; rice; grains,... ( Eat 6 to 11 servings of these daily )

I'm good with that!!! hahahahahahaha

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum