Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 13 of 14]

301 Re: ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:17 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Uh Oh! Barb. Overflowing is an entirely separate issue.

Either something is in the outlet of the toilet..i.e. a toothpick or hair pin etc., and plunging will clear it, but then if the object is still in there to catch paper, it will gather and gather until it finally blocks the outlet.

True recent story. Mary' Home (toilet)...circa 1948. never removed. Constant blockage. Bought a snake (auger) device to clean the trap outlet. All good and still blockage.

I can't kneel long anymore, or I would have removed the Toilet. Her son in law did.
The opening instead of having the 3 inch opening, was reduced to 1 inch. All corroded with calcium and hard water deposits. He tapped off the crust and reinstalled the toilet. Ho Ho Ho....Problem solved.

302 Re: ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:35 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

OK... So far as what's for supper???

Tina made (and now has cooking ) a nice spaghetti sauce.
I was asked to make the meat balls.

They are in the pot of hot sauce simmering and cooking. Oh, I guess 3 hours on low low simmer.

Most people fry the meatballs before adding them to cook in the sauce. They are good that way, and I sometimes do fry or bake them and then add to the sauce.

On the other hand. Tina prefers to roll out the meatballs, and when the sauce is bubbling hot, drop the raw meatballs to cook in the sauce. SOoooo! What is the difference???
When the meatballs are fried / baked, the outside is seared and sealed. When placed in the sauce to cook further, the sauce doesn't absorb into the inside of the meatballs.
When they are cooked raw, the meatballs absorb the flavors of the sauce, and act like a sponge to soak up the succulent flavors.

Just have to remember, not to stir the meatballs for the first 20 minutes.
That way they will set and not break apart.
It's the same with a meat sauce or chilli or even sloppy joes. Adding the ground meat raw will absorb the flavors.

An hour of cooking will most certainly make meat safe to eat.

SOooooo! Now I know why Tina's sauce and meatballs are so tasty and flavorful.
I gotta give her credit. She has some good theory with that cooking! And the proof is in the taste, and the texture.

303 Re: ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:46 pm

Barbara101

chili dogs here bounce  

304 Re: ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:48 pm

bethk

Admin
I think I'm going to go down to the square with the neighbors....don't have a clue what we'll eat.

305 Re: ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:51 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:chili dogs here bounce  
Sounds good to me Barb.

Tina bought me Hillshire Hot Links yesterday, and I was wishing for a couple of them.
They didn't have the Johnsonville Hot Link Brats at the store.
They had all the other ones but not the hot ones.

I don't think these hillshire are gonna cut it!

306 Re: ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:30 pm

bethk

Admin
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Shepherds Pie Tina made...

[
Jimmy - I've been hungry for Shepherd's Pie ever since you posted this earlier this month.....but there's no way I'm gonna make a whole casserole of that yummy meal just for me. I was perusing through Foodgawker.com and saw an idea that makes perfect sense for a single meal of that wonderful dish.....

Top a baked potato with the filling ingredients !

Boy, that's one of those "why didn't I think of that?" moments.

How simple ~ genius.

And there are a billion different recipes, I'm thinkin' of reheating some of my frozen sloppy joe mixture with some leftover green beans & corn.

307 Re: ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:28 pm

Barbara101

x 2..tongue 

308 Re: ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper for me was just a Roast Beef sandwich with fixins; on a soft Thomas' Plain Bagel.

Tina made sauce, and I made the meatballs. She loved them, and ate like three huge ones during the afternoon. I had one to try. Not Bad, but I made them with a lot of bread for her. I like them firmer.

309 Re: ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:46 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:

x 2..tongue 
OH MY OH SO GOOD LOOKING.... I WANT SOME TOMORROW!

310 Re: ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:46 pm

Barbara101

sandwich Jimmy..

311 Re: ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:01 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:   sandwich Jimmy..
Thanks Barb. I ate it because Tina mommy bought the beef sliced, and I figured only two more days of fresh.
I did throw a slice of land o lakes cheese on top later.
It was good, and I just had a meatball with no spaghetti.

I surely do have those hot links with chili on my mind though.
I need split top New England Style Buns though. It holds LOTS of Stuff. LOL

OH OH OHhhhhh!!! I fixed the computers. It was NOT Comcast. It was my router. I read on line on a forum, to push the internal reset button on the router with a toothpick. I did that, and re assigned the computers to our network name, and bingo...all working fast as before. Grrrrrrr!

312 Re: ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:35 pm

bethk

Admin
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

Jimmy - if you don't have the split top buns just take a regular hot dog bun and carefully slice off the bottom crust and some of the top - just to even it out. Then slap on a bit of soft butter and grill until nice and golden. Works in a pinch and tastes just like the split top ones.

313 Re: ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:37 pm

Barbara101

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

Jimmy - if you don't have the split top buns just take a regular hot dog bun and carefully slice off the bottom crust and some of the top - just to even it out.  Then slap on a bit of soft butter and grill until nice and golden.  Works in a pinch and tastes just like the split top ones.
that is what I have to do.  buy unsliced.then cut it on the top.

314 Re: ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:39 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

We don't have hot dog buns unsplit or I mean cut. The ones they cut now are half ass cut.
They cut so the bottom is thin thin, and the top is thick.
I have never seen anything cut like that. Years ago they made the cut in half.
The stupid bun doesn't even have a hinge, and the hot dog falls out.

Now...they do sell HD Buns in Walmart Bakery that are soft like the packaged run of the mill rolls, but they get stale so fast. I hate to bite a hot dog in the bun, and have the bun break or get stuck to my lips. When the crust peels off too, that sticks to the roof of my mouth, and I hate that. Then I have to use a spoon to scrape it off the roof. ( I use my finger when Tina is not looking ) because the spoon Gags Me up there trying to dig it off!

315 Re: ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:46 am

Bugster2

I wish I didn't have to log in every day. Is there a way around it?
All we ate this entire weekend was hot dogs. Friday, saturday and sunday. I don't need to see them for a while. We bought a Ikea bed frame for our "guest" that has storage drawers underneath. It took two days to get it, assemble it, unassemble it and reassemble it. My DH will not read instructions nor will he separate the nuts and bolts and count them. So we came up short with screws because he used the wrong ones. I saw all of these leftover screws and said "what are they for?" and didn't get a satisfactory answer. I was also told that we didn't get all the hardware so I was going to have to drive back to Ikea to get them. I picked up the instructions, read them and found out the missing hardware was screwed into the wrong place. So I unscrewed and rebuilt the bed. JEEZ! The man refuses to read! We weren't missing anything. I was too tired to cook anything else.
So we built the bed and created a "Blivet" for her. This is when you try and fit ten pounds of stuff into a five pound bag. I doubt if it will do any good. She will still have stacks of crap all over the place. I feel like I am living with a combo teen/hoarder. Sets my teeth on edge to know that her room is a $nit-box.

Last edited by Bugster2 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : left out something)

316 Re: ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:20 pm

NormM

I don't have to log in. Do you shut down your computer every night or put it in sleep mode? Is there a box on the sign in page that says Keep me signed it?

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

317 Re: ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:15 pm

Bugster2

Sometimes I shut it down, sometimes not. I have that box "keep me signed in" checked but I still have to log in every day.

318 Re: ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:04 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Me too! I have remember me and sign in automatically.
Today, surprisingly, I did not have to sign in???

Usually in two hours...if I go back, I have to sign in.

319 Re: ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:39 pm

bethk

Admin
When you sign in and put in your user name, then check the box "remember me" and then put in your password. See if that works. I haven't had to sign back in unless I intentionally logged off to sign in as my Administration (owner) log in.

320 Re: ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:49 pm

bethk

Admin
I helped organize / set up for a ladies luncheon today. The Monday golf ladies wanted to have a luncheon to honor one of the ladies who got married last spring ~ they didn't have time to do a lunch then because she and her new husband returned to their home up north. But they have returned so after their golf they all gathered for a surprise luncheon for her.

Since I don't play golf I had volunteered to help do the last minute things and set up, etc. It was fun to do. We ended up with salads galore, made by about 4 of us. There was crab salad, chicken salad with dill and dried cherries, egg salad with green olives, croissants, potato salad, cauliflower/pea/bacon salad, strawberry spinach salad and a tapioca/mandarin orange salad. Another lady made 3 different kinds of cupcakes for dessert. It was lovely and no one went home hungry. There were some chips & vegetables & dips to start with drinks - the whiskey slush seemed to be a huge hit! I think what they say about The Villages must be true...."It's a drinking community with a golf problem....." LOL

321 Re: ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:37 pm

Barbara101

salad for dinner.80+` today.Shocked Sad 

zaxby chicken take out.much better then KFC..

322 Re: ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:27 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:

salad for dinner.80+` today.Shocked Sad 

zaxby chicken take out.much better then KFC..

Looks Good Barb. The first look, I thought it was a star fish.
I was like, Oh No! Barb is having star fish supper.

323 Re: ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:53 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

I had just 2 chili dogs.

I made the hot dog chili, and as I was about to brown the ground beef and with the onions, I thought. "Gee!" .... Let me try Tina's method of making a meat sauce. I sweat down the Onions, and I added the spices to the tomato sauce and water, and brought it to a boil. Then I added the beef in little dime size pinches. I cooked the chili for 1/2 hour.

I then removed the cooked beef, and put it in the mini processor, and pulsed it a few times just until the meat became tiny and rice size.
Added it to the sauce, and cooked it for 3 hours until most of the liquid evaporated.

It was awesome, and stayed hugging the bun and the hot dog without spilling off. Even eating it was less sloppy. I actually got it all in my mouth, and not on my dish.

The first is loaded with the chili to show the texture, and the second is with the onions. The way I like it!

324 Re: ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:39 pm

bethk

Admin
Those look like GOOD chili dogs, Jimmy. I love mine with lots of crunchy onions, too!

I'll be off for a week starting tomorrow. We're driving up to Ohio and I'll only be able to check in (hopefully) when I get to the house ~ IF the Ipad is available and working. I haven't heard a peep from DD in two weeks so I don't know if she's just been busy or if we no longer have internet service there again. We'll see. But don't worry 'bout me if you don't hear from me.

I shall return.....

325 Re: ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Those look like GOOD chili dogs, Jimmy.  I love mine with lots of crunchy onions, too!

I'll be off for a week starting tomorrow.  We're driving up to Ohio and I'll only be able to check in (hopefully) when I get to the house ~ IF the Ipad is available and working.  I haven't heard a peep from DD in two weeks so I don't know if she's just been busy or if we no longer have internet service there again.  We'll see.  But don't worry 'bout me if you don't hear from me.

I shall return.....

Oh! Ya mean yer not taking the C F Private Jet??? ( Cooking Friends )

Ooops! Forgot... Yer Mode of transportation is........And when you firstade the trip with all the stuff packed in the car....this is what I pictured as the trip down to the villages in.

I hate to tell you the stuff we hauled from Jersey to Pennsy on top our car.
The couch my mom gave us was a riot. We hit rain in the Poconos, and then by the time we got home, the sun was shining the last 30 minutes, and the couch dryed out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwzaxUF0k18

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 13 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum