Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Biscuits and Gravy

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26 Re: Biscuits and Gravy on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:51 am

NormM

Niagara I should add that a lot of old time cooks, my mom included, never used butter. They use bacon fat.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

27 Re: Biscuits and Gravy on Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:00 pm

bethk

Admin
Niagara Visitor wrote:I don't have any idea how they were made, but they were disgusting.  Now, if you have some stew in a pot, take some biscuits in the tube, you know the ready made ones, pop them on top for about the last 20 minutes, you get great dumplings.
Niagara, there are multiple traditions when it comes to biscuits & gravy. In the north (Ohio) we never had the two served together for breakfast, only dinner or supper, most usually an oven baked biscuit split and topped with a creamed chicken or creamed chicken/vegetable gravy.

But if you ever have the opportunity to stop at a Cracker Barrel Restaurant and see "Chicken & Dumplings" on the menu, you will get something similar to what you were served in Florida. I think (as I've never made these) the biscuit dough is rolled out thin and dropped into simmering chicken and chicken broth until it cooks into a thick and "gooey" mass. Since the biscuit dough is not really seasoned and is mostly flour and buttermilk, there is very little to taste except the "paste" flavor....but it's a cultural thing, I'm sure. Some people love it.

My family made chicken & dumplings much like Barb stated - drop biscuits dropped on simmering/boiling broth, a lid added to steam the biscuit dough and cooked until the dough was fully risen and fluffy on the inside. Grandma would always finish her dumplings with the top off so they could dry just a bit.

I never had or made sausage gravy until I was in my 50's....it wasn't something I grew up on. But now I love it (on occasion). I usually buy a spicy breakfast sausage in a tube (Jimmy Dean brand or Tennessee Pride brand). I brown the sausage and break it up into bits in a skillet and usually have to add some additional fat, like a couple Tbsp. of butter, after the sausage is browned. Then I stir in some flour and let it coat the sausage, continue to stir & cook to get rid of the "flour taste", as you would in making any gravy. Then I add some milk and stir to create a gravy, using as much as necessary to get the texture I want. Often I'll finish with just a bit of half and half for even more richness. This gets poured over hot buttermilk biscuits and it's a very filling and hearty breakfast.

28 Re: Biscuits and Gravy on Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:13 pm

Bugster2

Why am I not surprised. Most biscuits and gravy in restaurants tastes like glue poured over wallboard. You have to make your own gravy (canned biscuits will do fine) for it to be any good. I have a fast and easy recipe that i can give you if you would like it.

29 Re: Biscuits and Gravy on Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:16 pm

bethk

Admin
Bugster2 wrote:Why am I not surprised. Most biscuits and gravy in restaurants tastes like glue poured over wallboard. You have to make your own gravy (canned biscuits will do fine) for it to be any good. I have a fast and easy recipe that i can give you if you would like it.
Boy, you've got THAT right. No flavor and WAY, WAY too thick.....library paste comes to mind!

30 Re: Biscuits and Gravy on Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:57 pm

Crybaby

I'd never had biscuits and sausage gravy until we stayed at one of those apartment hotels in Houston for seven weeks after Katrina -- you know, the kind that has free breakfast. The sausage gravy was wonderul and one day when I asked about it, one of the workers told me it was canned and brought out the can at my request so I could see the brand, long since forgotten.

We have a nice little neighborhood breakfast place maybe 8 or 10 blocks from our house and I ordered it there. It was TERRRIBLE -- just like Niagara said -- gloppy, floury goop. I was embarrassed that I actually took a second bite before pushing my plate away.

But when I made the sausage gravy at home like Beth said she does, it came out great and we both loved it. A lot of people, I think, don't realize you have to cook flour to get rid the floury taste -- even if you're not making a dark roux. And yes, it is indeed like a bechamel with sausage in it. Real butter and real cream or half and half really helps, too, and we used Jimmy Dean spicy sausage to make it. A winner which we will have again real soon.

31 Re: Biscuits and Gravy on Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:27 pm

Bugster2

I use Jimmy Dean too but just the regular chub along with a couple of spices thrown in. When it is done I throw the whole mess into my mini Cuisinart and give it a whirl. I prefer my sausage in mini bits.

32 Re: Biscuits and Gravy on Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:07 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:I'd never had biscuits and sausage gravy until we stayed at one of those apartment hotels in Houston for seven weeks after Katrina -- you know, the kind that has free breakfast.  The sausage gravy was wonderul and one day when I asked about it, one of the workers told me it was canned and brought out the can at my request so I could see the brand, long since forgotten.

We have a nice little neighborhood breakfast place maybe 8 or 10 blocks from our house and I ordered it there.  It was TERRRIBLE -- just like Niagara said -- gloppy, floury goop.  I was embarrassed that I actually took a second bite before pushing my plate away.  

But when I made the sausage gravy at home like Beth said she does, it came out great and we both loved it.  A lot of people, I think, don't realize you have to cook flour to get rid the floury taste -- even if you're not making a dark roux.  And yes, it is indeed like a bechamel with sausage in it.  Real butter and real cream or half and half really helps, too, and we used Jimmy Dean spicy sausage to make it.  A winner which we will have again real soon.
We like to go to Bob Evans Restaurants ( a chain out of Ohio ), and we love the sausage gravy . The first time we went there, the waitress brought two big bowls, and a plate of fresh made biscuits.
Me, I don't care, I eat as I see fit, But Tina asked," How are we supposed to eat this?" "Is there a special way?" .... The girl said," Just dip it, drop it on your biscuit ; scoop it, or whatever your heart desires to get it down in the belly!"
And we do not have a Bob Evans close to us. There is one on Lehigh Street, in Allentown, PA...but that's a 50 minute drive. On a Sunday, we will pack the kids in the car, and head out for breakfast.

33 Re: Biscuits and Gravy on Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:35 pm

thesweetestpea

That's how I make my sausage gravy as well. I also use that technique when I make creamed dried beef -- melt butter, sauté the chopped dried beef in it until coated and then add the flour to the meat and stir it until it melts into it and then I add milk gradually to keep it smooth. Tonight, I made the Hamburger Glop (as Larry calls it) since his tummy is upset and it was pretty good. I had really lean ground beef so I left the liquid in and added the flour, then added a can of Beefy Mushroom soup and 2 soup cans of milk. It was a nice consistency and I added a 12 oz. pkg. of thawed peas/carrots mix and some pepper. We had it over mashed potatoes. A slice of banana bread was dessert.

34 Re: Biscuits and Gravy on Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:06 pm

bethk

Admin
Jimmy - homemade sausage gravy is SO much better than Bob Evan's.....and Dane & I use to go to the Bob Evan's restaurant for breakfast every Sunday for a long, long time.

I don't like to use the Bob Evan's bulk/tube sausage because every time I fry it I end up with hard pieces of gristle and/or shards of bone ~ close to breaking a tooth the last 2 or 3 times I bought it. So that's why I now purchase the Spicy Jimmy Dean brand or Tennessee Pride brand....

Both are good tasting and easier than grinding and spicing your own. But you have to add fat (either butter or bacon grease) to both because they're lean and don't render off enough fat to make the roux.

Pea - I like to add some vegetables to my hamburger gravy (most generally corn). I don't know why I like it so much but I do!

35 Re: Biscuits and Gravy on Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:32 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Jimmy - homemade sausage gravy is SO much better than Bob Evan's.....and Dane & I use to go to the Bob Evan's restaurant for breakfast every Sunday for a long, long time.

I don't like to use the Bob Evan's bulk/tube sausage because every time I fry it I end up with hard pieces of gristle and/or shards of bone ~ close to breaking a tooth the last 2 or 3 times I bought it.  So that's why I now purchase the Spicy Jimmy Dean brand or Tennessee Pride brand....

Both are good tasting and easier than grinding and spicing your own.  But you have to add fat (either butter or bacon grease) to both because they're lean and don't render off enough fat to make the roux.

Pea - I like to add some vegetables to my hamburger gravy (most generally corn).  I don't know why I like it so much but I do!
Yeah! We like the Jimmy Deans Better too!
The Bob E Sausage IS grainy and does have a lot of "Sptooo" [That's spittin out the fat and grizzle!].....

36 Re: Biscuits and Gravy on Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:14 pm

thesweetestpea

I noticed that Kroger has an all natural roll of Jimmy Dean sausage in the meat cooler but they had it off and away from the other Jimmy Dean products for some reason. I have been getting my sausage at the meat market as they make it themselves and have several different spiced versions. They also make little pig and large link sausage which are nice for a change.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum