Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.


You are not connected. Please login or register

No More Dishpan Hands !

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 No More Dishpan Hands ! on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:34 am

bethk

avatar
Admin
Woo Hoo !!! My new dishwasher came today! Amazing how it only takes a professional 20 minutes to install.....



And NO MORE breakfast dishes in the sink !

2 Re: No More Dishpan Hands ! on Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:39 pm

Barbara101

avatar
 looks awesome..

I had a house with tile counters & a tile floor. Man I hated both so much.

Then when my DS bought his house in Calif. it had both. It was not a year & he had it all removed .

Yours looks so nice & clean.

3 Re: No More Dishpan Hands ! on Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:53 pm

JanaAZ


Nice.

4 Re: No More Dishpan Hands ! on Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:21 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
Barbara101 wrote: looks awesome..

I had a house with tile counters & a tile floor. Man I hated both so much.

Then when my DS bought his house in Calif. it had both. It was not a year & he had it all removed .

Yours looks so nice & clean.
If I had MY way (and the extra $$) those countertops and lower cabinets would be replaced in a heartbeat. Both corner cabinets are blind - PITA! And we ALL know how much fun it is to try to do any baking with all that grout on the countertops. I don't even want or care about granite, laminate would be just fine with me. But I'd love to have smooth countertops & back splash and stainless behind the stove and up to a real vented stove hood. I mean, what good is a fan attached to a microwave above the stove that just blows the heat and humidity back in your face? Mr. Amazing is going to check it out when he retires in February. I'm pretty sure he can hook into the vent that is already going through the roof.

But for right now I'm going to be happy to have a real working dishwasher. It's almost identical to the one I have in Ohio so there's no learning curve to loading it.

5 Re: No More Dishpan Hands ! on Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:52 pm

JanaAZ


bethk wrote:
Barbara101 wrote: looks awesome..

I had a house with tile counters & a tile floor. Man I hated both so much.

Then when my DS bought his house in Calif. it had both. It was not a year & he had it all removed .

Yours looks so nice & clean.
If I had MY way (and the extra $$) those countertops and lower cabinets would be replaced in a heartbeat.  Both corner cabinets are blind - PITA!  And we ALL know how much fun it is to try to do any baking with all that grout on the countertops. almost identical to the one I have in Ohio so there's no learning curve to loading it.
I know what you mean. Our mountain house has slate tile squares. They are beautiful but what a pain when I go to bake. I have to brush the counters with a hand broom before I can clean them. As soon as I live there full time, those counters are going, going, gone. I really love the look of them, so I might have to put a slate slab in. We'll see. I've got more time than money on this one.

I did bring up my roul-pat so that I could roll out my scones, etc., on something flat. It was problematic before I did that.

6 Re: No More Dishpan Hands ! on Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:54 pm

JanaAZ


I forgot to mention....I have some blind cabinets, too, and they sell inserts you can put into the cabinet to make them accessible. If you don't want to spend the money on that right now, you can get some nice sized boxes and use them. Just keep your doors shut.

Our cabinets are beautiful but the previous owners must not have been cooks because they did some really dumb things. I've placed some boxes from Costco (they were from berries) in the cabinets temporarily so I can get stuff out.

Yup....there's some serious $$$ that will be spent when I live there permanently.

7 Re: No More Dishpan Hands ! on Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:38 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
The white tiles in the kitchen and the berber off-white carpet in the rest of the villa would not have been my first choice, either. But, all in good time. If I could get hardwood in the kitchen, living area & bedrooms I would, but no one will install anything but the laminate hardwood, which is what I have in Ohio so I'm not opposed to it. It's still better than cracked porcelain tiles and carpet. I'm waiting until next week to have a couple estimates on cleaning the carpet done. When it's sunny and I open the patio door blinds all I see is dirty traffic pattern walkways on this carpet. I don't think the lady who lived here before ever had it cleaned. There are a couple places I've tried to "spot" clean but the spot returns. Hopefully a good steaming will get it out and keep it from returning.

Lyn told me she saw some wonderful pull out systems for the cabinets that would run about $200 each when she went to the Home Show in Orlando earlier in the year. Right now I'm just not putting much down there. Actually, since I have Corelle dishes and they're not very heavy I'm thinking of just storing them in a drawer - they'll fit and then the upper cabinets can be for drinking glasses/mugs and my most used storage containers. I may never bend down again!

8 Re: No More Dishpan Hands ! on Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:46 pm

NormM

avatar
Stainless on the inside. Nice and easy to keep clean.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

9 Re: No More Dishpan Hands ! on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:41 pm

Crybaby

avatar
" />

You're probably all shocked that I actually posted a picture.  I had this on file from about six years ago.  Pretty much the same except we now have a white microwave in the corner (and I'd have cleaned off the countertops prior to taking a picture!).  The darker tiles are very dark green.  The floor is dark green ceramic tile (with a slight marble look) with the occasional sporadic white tile mixed in -- at random like the countertop.

Our house is about 150 years old.  Even though I'd love something other than tiles on the countertops, it looks really good in our kitchen, which is combined with a large dining room.  If I had my druthers today, I'd probably put in white Caesarstone (expensive but easy to care for and forgiving) with a dark green striped edge.  But I still love my kitchen.  To the right of the stove is a small countertop and then about 10 inches lower than that, is a built-in desk (also ceramic tile) looking out a window (9 over 9 panes) into the back yard.  There's also another window in the dining room portion so I have a lot of light in the kitchen, which is great, though this picture was taken at dusk.  Also, to the very left of the picture is a paned glass side door that also adds to the light.

10 Re: No More Dishpan Hands ! on Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:47 am

bethk

avatar
Admin
Well, what do you know....we had the same kitchen designer! The accent tile on my countertop surrounding the breakfast bar above the dishwasher is dark green, same as yours.

But YOU got a corner cabinet - I'm jealous! That's what I want, but of course, if I change now then the entire kitchen cabinet layout would change....so, I guess I'll just wait until I am desperate and can justify spending the $200+ for each of my blind cabinets. OR I'll do what I always do - just adjust and whine about it! LOL

11 Re: No More Dishpan Hands ! on Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:32 am

NormM

avatar
I bet if a contractor had just ONE blind cabinet in his workshop, he'd have the decency to stop putting them in kitchens.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

12 Re: No More Dishpan Hands ! on Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:36 am

Barbara101

avatar
pardon my stupidity,what is it? If it a lazy susan type ,,man I hated that thing.I swore I would never let anyone put one in any kitchen I had.

13 Re: No More Dishpan Hands ! on Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:38 am

Crybaby

avatar
NormM wrote:I bet if a contractor had just ONE blind cabinet in his workshop, he'd have the decency to stop putting them in kitchens.
I'm drawing a blank on what a blind cabinet is, Norm. ? Thanks.

14 Re: No More Dishpan Hands ! on Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:57 am

Crybaby

avatar
Bethk wrote:But YOU got a corner cabinet - I'm jealous! That's what I want, but of course, if I change now then the entire kitchen cabinet layout would change....so, I guess I'll just wait until I am desperate and can justify spending the $200+ for each of my blind cabinets. OR I'll do what I always do - just adjust and whine about it! LOL
You'd be shocked if you saw how much room there is behind that corner cabinet. In fact, it fits so much stuff that it's always over-filled and a PITA to get what I want out of it. I always say I'm going to take everything out of there, get rid of some things and organize the rest -- NOT! I think I'll just whine about it occasioally!

I wish I had a picture of how many pots, pans, tools and whatnot I have hanging on the pot rack over the island -- I'd die without that pot rack. When we first bought the house in 1998, Brian and I went to an industrial kitchen supply place to look for an island. On the way, I told Brian my top limit was $250. We got there and they had only one -- a big sturdy aluminum one with lots of hangers that was JUST what I wanted. The price? $250! I had to laugh, but it came with two heavy chains and huge eye hooks to hang it, which was good.

Brian and a friend hung it while I wasn't home -- something I'd strictly forbidden (you've got to know Brian isn't handy and that's a kind way to put it). But they hung it at a perfect height (we're both tall -- Brian's 6'4" and I'm 5'8" but always in heels). The items are easy to reach (for us anyway) and the sight line to the dining room table isn't broken. I had an uncle who used to visit and say it was too high -- but then he was about 5'5" so he'd laugh when I'd hold my hand up to get something and say, "See! It's perfect for me!"

15 Re: No More Dishpan Hands ! on Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:49 pm

NormM

avatar
This is not a blind cabinet. The corner has a lazy boy opening so all the space is easily accessible.


A blind cabinet has just a small corner door with empy spacy behind the other cabinet so you have to get down on your hands and knees with a flashlight to see in and nearly have to crawl in to get stuff in the back.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

16 Re: No More Dishpan Hands ! on Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:44 pm

thesweetestpea

avatar
bethk wrote:
Barbara101 wrote: looks awesome..

I had a house with tile counters & a tile floor. Man I hated both so much.

Then when my DS bought his house in Calif. it had both. It was not a year & he had it all removed .

Yours looks so nice & clean.
If I had MY way (and the extra $$) those countertops and lower cabinets would be replaced in a heartbeat.  Both corner cabinets are blind - PITA!  And we ALL know how much fun it is to try to do any baking with all that grout on the countertops.  I don't even want or care about granite, laminate would be just fine with me.  But I'd love to have smooth countertops & back splash and stainless behind the stove and up to a real vented stove hood.  I mean, what good is a fan attached to a microwave above the stove that just blows the heat and humidity back in your face?  Mr. Amazing is going to check it out when he retires in February.  I'm pretty sure he can hook into the vent that is already going through the roof.

But for right now I'm going to be happy to have a real working dishwasher.  It's almost identical to the one I have in Ohio so there's no learning curve to loading it.
This would be a much cheaper way to go than replacing the counter top. I used to have one and sold it in our sale because now I have the Amish kitchen island, which we love. Here's the link. Look around online and you might find something cheaper. Mine was maple and I found it on sale for $28 which was 75% off.

http://www.pastrychef.com/WOODEN-PASTRY-BOARD-BREAD-KNEADING-BOARD_p_2179.html

17 Re: No More Dishpan Hands ! on Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:17 pm

JanaAZ


bethk wrote:The white tiles in the kitchen and the berber off-white carpet in the rest of the villa would not have been my first choice, either.  But, all in good time.  If I could get hardwood in the kitchen, living area & bedrooms I would, but no one will install anything but the laminate hardwood, which is what I have in Ohio so I'm not opposed to it.  It's still better than cracked porcelain tiles and carpet.  I'm waiting until next week to have a couple estimates on cleaning the carpet done.  When it's sunny and I open the patio door blinds all I see is dirty traffic pattern walkways on this carpet.  I don't think the lady who lived here before ever had it cleaned.  There are a couple places I've tried to "spot" clean but the spot returns.  Hopefully a good steaming will get it out and keep it from returning.

Lyn told me she saw some wonderful pull out systems for the cabinets that would run about $200 each when she went to the Home Show in Orlando earlier in the year.  Right now I'm just not putting much down there.  Actually, since I have Corelle dishes and they're not very heavy I'm thinking of just storing them in a drawer - they'll fit and then the upper cabinets can be for drinking glasses/mugs and my most used storage containers.  I may never bend down again!

I put in 17 pull outs in my kitchen in Phx. If I would have bought the home depot ones, they would have been outrageous. I found a company that made them custom for my cabinets and they were only about $50 each installed. I also had cabinets with stiles in the middle so there were 2 doors to each larger opening. I had hubby remove them and we used 1 large pull out rather than 2. If you want photos, I can share. He did such a nice job the guy installing everything asked how he did them. It made my kitchen almost useable. It was horrible before I did that.

18 Re: No More Dishpan Hands ! on Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:07 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
I'd love to see pics of your organizer pull outs. There are lots of companies down here who install but nothing I've seen is really unique.

19 Re: No More Dishpan Hands ! on Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:51 pm

thesweetestpea

avatar
I have the pull-outs in all of my lower cabinets and found them online for $56 for smaller ones and $78 for larger ones but we had to pay someone to install them. We had our handyman do it for $18 and hour and it took less than 2 hours to install 5 of them. Our are just double tiered stainless wire shelves.

20 Re: No More Dishpan Hands ! on Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:59 pm

Crybaby

avatar
NormM wrote:This is not a blind cabinet.  The corner has a lazy boy opening so all the space is easily accessible.


A blind cabinet has just a small corner door with empy spacy behind the other cabinet so you have to get down on your hands and knees with a flashlight to see in and nearly have to crawl in to get stuff in the back.
Wow, Norm, what a gentleman you are to go to so much trouble to show me what it was!  Many thanks.  I gather, too, with the blind cabinet pictured that you can't fit large pieces back there, huh?  Even though you have the space for some big things, right?

Wait -- I think I got it. That door on the right of the corner is the only opening to the huge space, so you have stuff to the far left which necessitates the crawling you mention. Wow -- that really would be a pain in the butt to really use all of the space. Thanks again, Norm.

21 Re: No More Dishpan Hands ! on Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:20 pm

NormM

avatar
I have 4 of them in my kitchen.



http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

22 Re: No More Dishpan Hands ! on Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:20 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
You figured it out, Crybaby!

There is all the area to store things but no way to access it without laying on your belly on the floor and hoping your arms are long enough to reach to the back. Or, you think you can reach the thing that fell over in the back corner with your kitchen tongs only to find out you slipped and dropped your tongs and now you have to go get the broom to see if you can stick THAT in the cabinet to pull everything closer to the door so you can reach it.

Pain in the a$$....

23 Re: No More Dishpan Hands ! on Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:24 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
The way your kitchen is laid out, Norm, you couldn't even install the turntable corner cabinets by the sink - you need at least 6". My sink in Ohio is the same way.

Obviously, the people who design kitchens have never had to work in one - it just irritates me to no end.

24 Re: No More Dishpan Hands ! on Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:56 pm

JanaAZ


Ok, Beth. I tried to post photos from my desktop and I can't seem to do it.
I'll e-mail them to you. Wait till you see what we did for our pots/pans. We did it at our old house, too, and are going to make the same shelves for our mountain house when we're there full time.

25 Re: No More Dishpan Hands ! on Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:07 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
Thanks, Jana! I'll see if I can download them to my desktop, then to my photobucket and finally back here for everyone to see.

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum