Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chinese Barbecued Pork

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Chinese Barbecued Pork Empty Chinese Barbecued Pork Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:42 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I found this while "strolling" through a cookbook yesterday.  Sounds really good and we'll try it next time we pick up a pork tenderloin at the grocery.  It's definitely something we normally have in the freezer though we ate the last one already!

Chinese Barbecued Pork Tenderloin
Recipe from “The Barbecue Bible” by Steven Raichlen
It’s from the restaurant Lotus in Toronto.
Serves 4 to 6.

1-1/2 lbs. pork tenderloin (2 to 3 tenderloins)
1 medium rib celery, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 Tablespoon minced fresh ginger
5 strips fresh tangerine or orange zest (each 2x1/2 inches; removed with a
   vegetable peeler)
2/3 cup rice wine or dry sherry
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
2 Tablespoons Asian (dark) sesame oil

1.  Trim the tenderloins of any excess fat or sinew.  Combine the celery, carrot, onion, ginger, tangerine zest, sherry, soy sauce, maple syrup, and 1 Tablespoon of the sesame oil in a nonreactive baking dish and stir to coat.  Add the tenderloins, turning to coat.  Cover and let marinate, in the refrigerator, for 24 to 48 hours, turning occasionally.
2.  Preheat the grill to medium high.
3.  Remove the tenderloins from the marinade and blot dry with paper towels.  Strain the marinade into a small nonreactive saucepan and bring to a boil over moderately high heat.  Boil the marinade until thick and syrupy, 5 to 8 minutes.
4.  When ready to cook, brush the tenderloins with the remaining 1 Tablespoon sesame oil.  Arrange the tenderloins on the hot grate and grill, turning with tongs, until the pork is browned on all sides and cooked through, 16 to 20 minutes in all.  Start brushing the tenderloins with the reduced marinade after 10 minutes.  When tested with an instant-read meat thermometer, the temperature should register at least 160F [I'd remove it to rest when it hits 145F] when the pork is done.
5.  Transfer the tenderloins to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes.  Cut each tenderloin on the diagonal into 1/2-inch slices.  Fan the slices out on plates or a platter and serve with any remaining marinade.

Last edited by Crybaby on Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:39 pm; edited 4 times in total

2Chinese Barbecued Pork Empty Re: Chinese Barbecued Pork Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

that sounds good, Crybaby.

I think I'd even do a pan marmalade with the tangerine or orange, some fresh ginger, onion and maybe a bit of dried fruit....say a few chopped or sliced apricots.

so I've copied & saved....Thanks!

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum