Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I bought red peppers

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1I bought red peppers Empty I bought red peppers Thu May 09, 2013 11:48 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

plus yellow ones the other day.Publix had them on sale.I thought oh good I will make stuffed peppers.

Now I think scratch that, I want Greek Salad.
I shouldn't have FETA but I will lol.
Greek Salad without is just peppers,cucumber onion,tomatoes black olives.. geek

2I bought red peppers Empty Re: I bought red peppers Thu May 09, 2013 12:14 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

But IF you don't like feta (or any other cheese, for that matter) then your Greek Salad is good, too!

LOL

IF you put feta on my Greek Salad I'd have to wipe off my tongue with a napkin ~ not too bad if I have a cloth napkin, but the cheap paper ones just get stuck and then I end up with a mouthful of fuzz!

You could just add extra kalamata olives to mine....and I'd be happy.

3I bought red peppers Empty Re: I bought red peppers Thu May 09, 2013 12:25 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

gosh I love feta. GOOD feta.Not that store brand stuff.it must be packed in brine too.

I used to buy it in a greek deli( not heard of here)and that chit was so freaking good I ate the whole thing on the way home..

HUGE difference in feta..It is full of salt so I will eat some just for flavor . She said.. tongue

4I bought red peppers Empty Re: I bought red peppers Thu May 09, 2013 4:29 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Barbara101 wrote:gosh I love feta. GOOD feta.Not that store brand stuff.it must be packed in brine too.

I used to buy it in a greek deli( not heard of here)and that chit was so freaking good I ate the whole thing on the way home..

HUGE difference in feta..It is full of salt so I will eat some just for flavor . She said.. tongue

I know what you mean, Barbara. Brian is in the shipping business (retiring June 15!) and when he used to board ships in port, often times the captains would give him some kind of gift -- a carton of cigs, bottle of booze and my all time favorite gift, some of that fresh Greek feta in the brine. Often times the captains would serve some type of munchie in the captain's quarters and if it included feta, Brian would always say something like, "Ooh, my wife loves real Greek feta," to try and plant the seed! Embarassed

I'm not a fried food fan but I have a recipe for fried feta (appetzer portions) that is really only good with the good feta. I had a dinner party once and made it for a Greek friend of Brian and he just about died. I told him I'd give him the recipe if he got me some of that good feta!

Fried Feta with Oregano Vinaigrette
Serves 2 as a first portion. Recipe from Gourmet Magazine with alterations by me.

1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1-1/2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled between fingers
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
Pinch freshly ground black pepper
1/4 lb. feta, cut into 1/2” thick slices
Flour for dredging
1 large egg, beaten well (beat periodically, too, after it sits)
2/3 cup fresh bread crumbs - or seasoned bread crumbs
1-1/2 Tablespoons unsalted butter

Whisk together vinegar, oregano, granulated garlic and black pepper to taste and whisk in the oil.

Dredge the feta slices in flour, brushing off any excess. CAREFULLY dip them in the egg and roll them in the bread crumbs, patting the crumbs gently onto the sides. Let them "rest" 10 to 15 minutes before sautéing.

In a heavy large skillet heat the butter over moderate heat until the foam subsides. Add feta, turning it once, for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden. Put on serving plates, whisk the vinaigrette and drizzle it over the feta.

Salted butter is okay if the feta is not the extremely salty type; we like the imported fresh feta best, as it's very moist and not as salty, but this comes out good with the grocery store feta, too. Buy squares of feta in the grocery while keeping in mind the fact that you will be cutting it up into right-sized portions. We've gotten raves over this recipe for years. We devised the rest period so the coating would adhere to the cheese better, and we serve it on gorgeous appetizer plates lined with a beautiful leaf of romaine or leaf lettuce underneath. Always a bit hit, especially with the good feta packed in brine.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum