Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What??? Labor Day Already?????

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 What??? Labor Day Already????? on Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:25 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

OK... This is the end! The end of summer anyway! ( yay for me )

SOoooooo!!!! Come on folks!! What's cookin?
What's on the Adgenda?? ....

I know Jim Jr. and the wife are planning being in Boston the weekend!

I have NO CLUE right now what we will do / make / buy etc.!

Any good stuff going on at your place. Trips to the lake?
BBQ??? .... Oh Dear!!!! .....

2 Re: What??? Labor Day Already????? on Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:55 pm

bethk

Admin
It's WHAT ???? Labor Day.....???

How in the world did it get to be Labor Day Weekend ?

3 Re: What??? Labor Day Already????? on Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:29 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:It's WHAT ????  Labor Day.....???

I know, that's exactly what I said!!
It was like we had Easter, and now we are facing back to school time
already!...
I told Tina," If we were smart, we would string the wires and lights for Christmas NOW! lol! hahahahaha

4 Re: What??? Labor Day Already????? on Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:37 am

thesweetestpea

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
bethk wrote:It's WHAT ????  Labor Day.....???

I know, that's exactly what I said!!
It was like we had Easter, and now we are facing back to school time
already!...
I told Tina," If we were smart, we would string the wires and lights for Christmas NOW! lol! hahahahaha  
My dad and I said the same thing last night -- where has the summer gone? We have no plans, well not to entertain or be entertained. The meat market had their 85% lean ground chuck on sale and I bought 6 lbs. They also had their bone-in Amish chicken breasts so I bought 5 lbs. Bought 2 lbs. chicken sausage too -- so I am planning on making shredded chicken in crock pot for freezing in 3 cup amounts, Savory meat base with 3 lbs. of the chuck, and browning the remaining 3 lbs. for the freezer in 3 pkgs and doing the same with the chicken sausage. I also have 12 pints of blueberries so will be making jam, a pie and some muffins. I have a bunch of tomatoes on the counter that I will be doing something with, maybe tomato basil jam (sweet pizza in a jar) or tomato puree.

5 Re: What??? Labor Day Already????? on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:04 am

Barbara101

I am making a sour cream potato salad.

Lemon Meringue pie.My secret recipe that NO one can copy  

maybe some nice big fat sirloin burgers..Or just a steak IDK..

Grilled corn.

I won't be outside much thats for sure.   

6 Re: What??? Labor Day Already????? on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:30 am

bethk

Admin
DD has big plans to keep her dad moving on some deferred maintenance projects - I'm in a cooking funk and don't know what I'll be making. I'm tired of asking for suggestions, getting none and then be told what I finally decide upon is NOT what they want.

Maybe I'll just run away from home....doubt either of them will notice. My only shining light is my non-refundable ticket for 2 weeks from now....

7 Re: What??? Labor Day Already????? on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:50 am

Barbara101

another thing I am going to make is a bean salad ..gosh I have not made one in years & years..

8 Re: What??? Labor Day Already????? on Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:14 am

thesweetestpea

I love bean salad and I haven't made it in years either.

9 Re: What??? Labor Day Already????? on Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:28 am

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:DD has big plans to keep her dad moving on some deferred maintenance projects - I'm in a cooking funk and don't know what I'll be making.  I'm tired of asking for suggestions, getting none and then be told what I finally decide upon is NOT what they want.

Maybe I'll just run away from home....doubt either of them will notice.  My only shining light is my non-refundable ticket for 2 weeks from now....
Sounds like the situation over here in the Big Bad Dads House!
DD was here last night in a tizzy.... grumpy and moody, and she didn't want to talk about anything pertaining to food and the weekend.

She Gets No extra day off because her place is closed every Monday! So that itself is a worm in her coolie!

Plus...she has to look for a vehicle. Her truck ( The one we all told her not to buy and to stay away from ) took a final B O I N G !!!..... Her engine is all gunked up internally and she has a lifter and pushrod clank on #3 cylinder. Twisted Evil Mad 

And Tina is the instigator yelling at me to call Chrysler! So what do I do? Wait for the phone message to say,"To scream at someone push #5?" Like they are really gonna listen, Right??

I did the research, and Chrysler is telling people with that problem that they didn't maintain changing their oil at the specified intervals! ... hahahahaha..What a Joke.tongue 

So anyway.... Rather than make my holiday into a head wrap of thorns, I would prefer that they all do their own thing, and leave everyone else the heck alone. (Period) 

10 Re: What??? Labor Day Already????? on Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:57 am

Barbara101

Jimmy you can come to my house. No drama..No kids.You can lay like a pile on the sofa & watch TV.Oh wait ,, the sofa is mine so you have to lay on the floor geek I will feed you good stuff.

11 Re: What??? Labor Day Already????? on Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:52 pm

NormM

Yesterday the internet was out in our area. It is kind of frustrating when the provider, instead of giving you a clock time when they estimate it to come back but rather give you a calendar date.  Fortunately it came back sooner than that.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

12 Re: What??? Labor Day Already????? on Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:57 pm

Barbara101

well I can not tell you how much I hate TWC.. They,, now as of my today bill are charging my $7 to rent their modem.I cut the cord to my Tv but kept internet.Now my internet is almost as much when I had basic & internet. Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil 

13 Re: What??? Labor Day Already????? on Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:38 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Thanks Barb! ....

Tina went to get kitty food and a loaf of bread...she is riding around looking at trucks for DD...
I told her...let DD do her own looking. I picked out one local on the net shopping dealers...found a F150 P/U and only 12,000.00... DD said, Not to be picky, but I hate Red! hahahahaha.... I told her how easy it was when I was a kid. You bought a car, and it was one color. BLACK!
It was a Ford or a Dodge or a Chevy or whatever...but it was BLACK!...
There was no such thing as options. No such thing as electric seats or seat belts. If it was a auto transmission, it was a two speed. Low and High Gear with no overdrive like today's cars.

Defoggers were...Open the window wing and let it air dry the windshield. hahahahahahaha

So anyway... I'm having Comcast Internet problems today. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!...... The lady said,"Maybe it's your computer?" .... I said maybe, but I have three of them in the house, and it says on all three...your service provider is not responding even though you are connected! HELLOoooooooooooooo!!!!!

14 Re: What??? Labor Day Already????? on Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:40 pm

thesweetestpea

Barbara101 wrote:well I can not tell you how much I hate TWC.. They,, now as of my today bill are charging my $7 to rent their modem.I cut the cord to my Tv but kept internet.Now my internet is almost as much when I had basic & internet. Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil 
I have tried every which way to beat this cable/internet/phone system and there's just not much you can do except get rid of it. Checked into both DISH and Direct satellite but they have lousy internet and it's not that much of a savings. The thing that gets me is having to pay for each HD box and DVR set -- almost $25 per month per TV. We have one on the living room TV and I'd love to have one on my bedroom TV too, but I can't see another $25 per month. We pay $174 per month for cable/internet/phone which I guess it's not bad considering it's all 3 and we have a package so if I try to take anything off, it will cost me more. That's what they're pulling on you Barb, but they're the only game in town unfortunately. You should see if you can get a package -- I threatened to go to satellite and they reduced my bill from $247 to $174 and threw in Showtime, which we never watch but it ends up being cheaper. I think that's all BS, smoke and mirrors, "we at TW think you're a dumbass" speak. I tried to get something even cheaper but the only way I can get a better deal is to quit TW, go with satellite for awhile and then come back to TW then I can get $90 package plus a $300 Visa gift card.

15 Re: What??? Labor Day Already????? on Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:43 pm

thesweetestpea

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Thanks Barb! ....

Tina went to get kitty food and a loaf of bread...she is riding around looking at trucks for DD...
I told her...let DD do her own looking. I picked out one local on the net shopping dealers...found a F150 P/U and only 12,000.00... DD said, Not to be picky, but I hate Red! hahahahaha.... I told her how easy it was when I was a kid. You bought a car, and it was one color. BLACK!
There was no such thing as options. No such thing as electric seats or seat belts. If it was a auto transmission, it was a two speed. Low and High Gear with no overdrive like today's cars.

Defoggers were...Open the window wing and let it air dry the windshield. hahahahahahaha

So anyway... I'm having Comcast Internet problems today. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!...... The lady said,"Maybe it's your computer?" .... I said maybe, but I have three of them in the house, and it says on all three...your service provider is not responding even though you are connected! HELLOoooooooooooooo!!!!!
I love me a red car, but this last one is Espresso which is basically black. LOL It's a deep coffee brown with gold flecks in the sun, but it looks black. They only had this one and a white one, definitely don't want a white car and with $5K off I wasn't going to hold out for a red car. It's almost 3 years old and has 9980 miles on it. It will last the rest of my life.

16 Re: What??? Labor Day Already????? on Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

thesweetestpea wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Thanks Barb! ....

I love me a red car, but this last one is Espresso which is basically black.  LOL  It's a deep coffee brown with gold flecks in the sun, but it looks black.  They only had this one and a white one, definitely don't want a white car and with $5K off I wasn't going to hold out for a red car.  It's almost 3 years old and has 9980 miles on it.  It will last the rest of my life.
Gee Pea..... That's really low mileage. That car will last forever.

I'll never forget when we applied for auto ins. one time, and they asked who the principal driver was at that time, and how far we traveled to work.
hahaha... I put the 8,000 miles for Tina, and for me I placed a 00 zero zero in the form. I Got a Call from the ins co. I think it was Allstate Sears Roebuck insurance, and they said I made no entry in the miles I drove to work.
We had two cars which was just a second clunker that I fixed up.

I told the woman, I drove various miles to work all over the state, and I was insured by my employers insurance company I always had a company vehicle.
I could not believe they could not understand that. Duhhhh!!!

17 Re: What??? Labor Day Already????? on Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:07 am

Crybaby

Barbara101 wrote:another thing I am going to make is a bean salad ..gosh I have not made one in years & years..
I just told Brian last week that I'm dying for bean salad. I can't seem to find a bean mix (like a bag of 13- or 16-bean types) anymore, which is what I always used to make it. Might have to go to Whole Food or someplace like that, I guess, as the regular groceries just don't stock mixed beans anymore.

18 Re: What??? Labor Day Already????? on Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:34 am

bethk

Admin
Crybaby wrote:
I just told Brian last week that I'm dying for bean salad.  I can't seem to find a bean mix (like a bag of 13- or 16-bean types) anymore, which is what I always used to make it.  Might have to go to Whole Food or someplace like that, I guess, as the regular groceries just don't stock mixed beans anymore.
Crybaby....this is the one you're looking for....

http://www.hurstbeans.com/

When you see the package you'll recognize it right off. The last time I saw it was my local Kroger in the fall. I'll see if I can find it and if I do I'll mail it to you.

19 Re: What??? Labor Day Already????? on Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:53 am

Barbara101

I make bean salad out of canned beans. The only time I buy canned beans,well that & for chili..

20 Re: What??? Labor Day Already????? on Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:49 am

bethk

Admin
Barb, I thin my grandma and mom made bean salad the way you do....

Canned green, wax and kidney beans with some sliced onion and a sweet-ish vinegar based dressing. I never liked the texture of canned beans, especially kidney beans, so it's not something I make.

I do make the dilled lemon marinated green bean salad with blanched fresh green beans, however.

21 Re: What??? Labor Day Already????? on Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:31 am

UNCLE JIMMY

I remember as kids, we would go camping and bring a few cans of Campbells Pork & Beans to eat.

We would hack open the lids with the knife style can opener, and heat them on an open fire right inside the can.

Now the Campbells beans are so bland since they reduced the sodium content!

22 Re: What??? Labor Day Already????? on Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:24 am

bethk

Admin
Crybaby, I just got back from the store...they have that brand of 15-bean mix on the shelf. Just let me know if you have difficulty finding it and ill be happy to send you a couple bags.

23 Re: What??? Labor Day Already????? on Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:43 am

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Crybaby, I just got back from the store...they have that brand of 15-bean mix on the shelf.  Just let me know if you have difficulty finding it and ill be happy to send you a couple bags.
I just thought of a great thing!!!

We should all pitch in, and buy a Drone. We could use it to deliver meals to each other, and also like you said Beth, The Beans.

DON'T Laugh!!..... Rememnber "Dick Tracy?" He had a Wrist Radio to talk back and forth to Mandrake, and my dad said,"Son That's just the comic books, there is no such thing as a wrist radio!"

Dad would turn over in his grave if he saw cell phones and a ipad to look at his far far away sister in Oregon when she was living!....

I could just see it.... " Hey Beth, is it OK if I borrow the D R O N E this Saturday? I need to send a Hatchet to someone who needs to make a pie crust!Laughing 

24 Re: What??? Labor Day Already????? on Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:50 pm

bethk

Admin
Ain't gonna use it to assist evil people.....

But it would be cool to open your door and see a meal without wheels hoovering just outside your door.

I'd send you a jar of Packo Pickles every week!

25 Re: What??? Labor Day Already????? on Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:27 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Ain't gonna use it to assist evil people.....

But it would be cool to open your door and see a meal without wheels hoovering just outside your door.

I'd send you a jar of Packo Pickles every week!
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:lol: 

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum