Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why Would you

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Why Would you Empty Why Would you Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:24 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

choose to cook a Cornish hen vs a chicken?

They taste the same to me.Plus a chicken is much much cheaper then Cornish hens.

Just asking...

2Why Would you Empty Re: Why Would you Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:50 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've done Cornish hens as a company meal....back in the '70's when it was a splurge and considered a fancy meal. Only thing was, they were too large and difficult to eat when served one per person on a plate....I mean, how do you deal with all the bones and parts you don't eat off that little bird. I think it was the Cornish hen craze that broke the way for the (tasteless IMO) boneless chicken breasts.

I did see an episode of P. Allen Smith this weekend where he did a dinner party with those little birds with a lovely citrus glaze that looked good. His birds were smaller than what I remembered so maybe it depends upon the brand/packaging. As I remember, they came frozen in 2-packs for the smallest ones. If I were to make them again for a company meal I think I'd probably plan to grill them after cutting into the "leaping frog" cut....now, THAT would be a unique meal to serve, for sure!

3Why Would you Empty Re: Why Would you Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:48 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I was never into them either, Barbara. My BIL, who is a very good cook, used to make them and even though they're cute, I think they're a pain in the butt to eat, especially at a dinner party. I don't find the flavor to be anything I can't do without.

Now that I think about it, I rarely if ever see them at the grocery. Others must agree...

4Why Would you Empty Re: Why Would you Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:52 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I think they can be found in the frozen food section only.....for people who are considering being vegetarians.....it's a way to cut WAY back on foul protein.

5Why Would you Empty Re: Why Would you Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:53 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I think they can be found in the frozen food section only.....for people who are considering being vegetarians.....it's a way to cut WAY back on foul protein.

Why Would you 2876911673 

6Why Would you Empty Re: Why Would you Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:06 am

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

My SIL makes them as her fancy meal -- she can't cook worth squat, although she is fond of saying that she makes her own chicken broth for her holiday dinners. Like that signifies that she is a chef beyond compare. LMAO I've never had a Cornish hen myself, we've not been invited to her fancy meals, they are reserved for trashy boyfriends only!!!! *wink*

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum