Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NOW the dishwasher....

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 NOW the dishwasher.... on Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:46 pm

bethk

Admin
Geeze Louise....what else could go wrong???

First the electrical thingy on the a/c.

Then the little silver motor connected to the fan on the refrigerator (which Mr. Amazing replaced in 10 minutes first thing this morning).

NOW the DD and GS cannot understand NOT to put silverware in two of the holder boxes because the bottom plastic broke through from either the heat or the water hardness or because someone threw silverware down with force.  But, hey, no big deal.....I thought.

But I was wrong.  BIG deal if you put silverware in the broken areas, it falls through and hangs there and stops the washing arms....dishes don't get clean.  Glasses don't get clean.  DD is not happy with a dirty glass.

So, I check into a replacement silverware basket....holy moley!  $68 !

Sorry, not gonna do it.  

So, I put on my thinking cap.  I stopped at the local Hobby Lobby store and got a sheet of plastic mesh, the kind that you use to cross stitch on....I figure I can cut it to fit, the silverware won't fall through and if it gets grungy, it can be replaced easy enough....

52 cents

Works for me.

2 Re: NOW the dishwasher.... on Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:47 pm

JanaAZ

What a great idea.

3 Re: NOW the dishwasher.... on Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:02 pm

Crybaby

So, I check into a replacement silverware basket....holy moley! $68 !

I had to laugh, Beth, as a few refrigerators ago, I decided we had room for another shelf. Most of the shelves were adjustable and so it could easily fit in there, for our use anyway. When I called the manufacturer, the lady told me it was a bit over $100. I was stunned and told her, "Gee, lady, I only paid $900 for the entire fridge!" She replied, "Well, yes, but if you bought it in pieces from us, it would probably cost $9,000!" We both howled laughing, and I bought the darn thing!

4 Re: NOW the dishwasher.... on Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:17 pm

bethk

Admin
Crybaby, I am such a cheapskate. If an appliance is in good running order I figure the stuff inside should just last and last. It just irritates me to have holes in the silverware basket....or not have the adjustable top rack adjust....or if one of the vinyl covered pieces in the rack gets bent and rusty.

That being said, most of my appliances last long past the estimated useful life as determined by the manufacturer.

I would not have purchased an extra shelf...but I would have grumbled and grumbled about it.

5 Re: NOW the dishwasher.... on Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:34 pm

Crybaby

We really needed the extra space, though, as our fridge is usually jammed to capacity.  By the look of our fridge and our cabinets, you'd think I didn't have enough to eat while growing up, as they're usually jammed full.  But for some reason, I feel content when they're like that!

I never realized that our fridge was more stuffed than others' were until so many people commented when I opened it to snag something!

6 Re: NOW the dishwasher.... on Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:48 pm

bethk

Admin
Well, get to know some of the,people in The Villages....there really are a number of people who only have a kitchen for the resale value....lol

One lady opened her refrigerator when I was visiting and she used it only for wine storage....nothing else, save for one lonely bottle of beer.

She did, however, have a coffee maker on the counter...I guess that makes sense.

Some people really do not care to cook and either go to a restaurant or get carry-out for all their food needs.

7 Re: NOW the dishwasher.... on Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:33 pm

Crybaby

I know, Beth! When my in-laws lived in Florida, I saw a shrink-wrapped onion on my mother-in-law's kitchen counter with a price tag on it! I'd never seen a single onion for sale in shrink wrap before!

I think lots of people either don't cook, don't like to cook or are just lousy at it. It would be soo expensive for us to eat out all the time as we like good food. To be honest, the few times we eat fast food, I'm always surprised at how much it costs (and we don't order soft drinks either). Brian stopped by Rally's the other day and got us hamburgers and large fries and I think he got himself a chocolate shake too. When I asked him how much it was, I think he said fifteen dollars. I was stunned and immediately thought of the great piece of meat we could've gotten for that price and eaten on it for days! I'm not cheap but when we go out, we usually go to a nice place which is kind of pricey. And we drink alcohol and I drink nice wine which always runs up the price. But if we go, we go whole hog!

8 Re: NOW the dishwasher.... on Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:59 pm

bethk

Admin
I agree completely, Crybaby. And if we go out I prefer to order something I'm not crazy about cooking at home...so I usually end up with seafood. So many times we decide to go out for a bite to eat and end up sitting at the bar for the specials....same food as in the dining room but WAY less because of the way they try to get more bar business.

There is one pricey seafood place by us. We sit in the bar, where they usually have a lounge piano artist for entertainment, and we each order a cocktail ($4 or $5 @ happy hour) and a couple appetizers...usually mussels marinara with hot pizza bread and then fried clam strips....by the time we've shared those two appetizers we are both full... Supper out, something I would not cook at home, runs us about $25 for the two of us. If we had the very same drinks and appetizers in the dining room the price would be more than doubled.

9 Re: NOW the dishwasher.... on Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:12 pm

Crybaby

That's so smart, too, Beth.  I often get several appetizers and a soup instead of an appetizer, soup and an entree (I rarely order a salad at a high end restaurant) and make a dinner of the appetizers.  That way I get to try a lot of stuff.  And like you, I usually order seafood since Brian doesn't eat it so I only cook it when we have company or vegetarians for dinner.

We have such great restaurants in N.O. that it's not hard to pick out someplace to go.  I'm always amazed at how many people will eat at a chain restaurant in this city!  

My estranged brother and his wife (who can't cook at all but says she bakes though it's always from a mix) go to places like Applebee's all the time.  One time I stayed with my mom when she lived at their house while they went out with their two kids (one in late high school and one in college) to Applebee's to eat dinner.  I thought it was kind of rude that they didn't ask my mom to go with them but I figured I was in for a couple of hours of sitting.  No lie, they left the house for Applebee's (it is about 10 minutes from their house) and they were back in less than an hour including travel time.  When I got home and told Brian, we were in hysterics, with Brian saying stuff like, "Do you think they talked to one another whlie there or just shoveled in that food?"  I'm not a food snob or anything but when you grow up eating delicious food, I'm just amazed at the crap people will eat when they go OUT!!!!

My SIL had us for dinner one night many years ago (it will be six years in September since I've seen or spoken to my brother) and she put a large plate on the table with WET iceberg lettuce on it and added a bottle of salad dressing next to it.  She said, "I made salad for you guys even though we never have it as my kids don't like salad."  When we were in the car on the way home (with Brian planning on what he was going to eat once we got home), Brian said, "Maybe the kids do like salad.  That wasn't a salad.  It was lettuce!" to which me (Miss Meanie) added, "Wet iceberg lettuce at that." My poor mom had to eat crap when she lived with them -- always something frozen and nuked and served right in the plastic thingee it came in. I would feel so sorry for my mom when sitting with her as she'd push the black plastic container away and say, "I really don't want anymore of this, Sally" to my SIL who would reply, "Great, I'll save it for your lunch tomorrow." How I kept in a groan, I still don't know.

10 Re: NOW the dishwasher.... on Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:35 pm

bethk

Admin
When I worked out of town and had to eat in restaurants for all meals I did have to patronize places like Applebee's, Bob Evans or some other chain restaurant. They are a step above the fast food places and I could usually find a healthy option as opposed to deep fried foods or burgers every day.

But every once in a while we do still go to chain restaurants. Usually it's on a night when I just don't feel like cooking and we want to go someplace close and fast. You really are lucky to live in a city known for such fine dining. Many of us don't have any choices like you do...of course, you also have access to fabulously fresh seafood. And shellfish. Oysters. Clams. Shrimp.

Darn, my mouth is watering now......

11 Re: NOW the dishwasher.... on Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:12 pm

Crybaby

Well, not clams (grin) but I now see fresh clams and mussels that have been flown in, whereas when I was a kid none of those were available fresh. And my favorite that is now available here fresh -- scallops! Soft-shell crab and scallops are my favorite seafood.

Yeah, the nice thing about N.O. is that we have a lot of privately-owned restaurants and restaurant/bars (some that may look divey), but have great food. We also have wonderful poor boys but they're so freaking fattening. I'd rather have a poor boy on fresh French bread than most of the fast food out there. But most of the time when we go out, I'd rather go to a nicer place as we're just spoiled by good food and good cooking!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum