Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brand new Month.. It is August..

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 12 of 15]

276 Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. on Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:09 pm

bethk

Admin
BIG steak is an understatement! I think I see steak salad in your future.

My stir fry came out great. Usually Dane objects to the ginger, fresh ginger. He cannot eat when I use fresh garlic. So, I thought I'd try finely mincing the candied ginger. It came out with a much more subtle ginger flavor and had softened considerably from the time in the wine and soy, rehydrating nicely. I think that will be a good way to use a container of candied ginger I've had in my baking cabinet for over a year. I got it originally to use to make true ginger snaps but must have used too much because they were way too hot (spicy).

I even managed to make just enough extra rice to be able to make the stuffed peppers. Now I just have to decide how I want to make them, hot or mild. I don't think it really matters since the 10 yr. old probably won't eat them anyway.

277 Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. on Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:51 am

Imelda HL

Today I cooked short ribs and beans soup... added sauteed onion and garlic, some nutmeg and cloves, and yes.. I added 1/2 cup of cooked rice in my soup lol! 

278 Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. on Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:21 am

Crybaby

bethk wrote:My friends, Lyn & Bill have Sirrius radio in their Lexus - built in.  They love it, always listening to some news talk show...
We have it in the car, too, and fell in love with it -- just for the radio stations. It's a lot less annoying when radio stations have no advertising, save self-promotion. There's a great station called Classic Vinyl that plays old rock and roll and it's super. When the 30 days free expired, Brian didn't want to pay for it but he was the one who spent the most time in the car driving to and from work and dropping me off and picking me up (when I used to work). I found I could get several stations we liked, including Classic Vinyl, for $9.95/month so I signed up. He was sooo glad I signed us up as the couple of days he went without, he really missed it.

279 Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. on Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:33 am

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:My Pay....is the ability to help them. It's a feeling that dollars cannot provide.
I wish you lived closer to us, Jimmy! But if you didn't accept money, we'd just kill you with food -- like a big ol' smoked turkey or a couple slabs of BBQ ribs!

280 Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. on Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:16 pm

Barbara101

I ate early. No lunch..Leftovers..

281 Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. on Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:11 pm

bethk

Admin
No one was particularly hungry tonight so I did very little in the way of meal planning....

Pork chops on the grill with a seasoning grinder, homemade applesauce and steamed sweet corn.

I considered a vegetable and/or a salad but no one was in favor....no need to go to the extra effort just to have it go to waste.

282 Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. on Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:36 pm

bethk

Admin
Barb's had me hungry for tonight's supper for a while now....Ms. Inspiration......

A one-pot meal of new potatoes, green beans and ham....not the southern way she usually makes it, but the northern style of cooking just until the potatoes are fork tender and the beans are soft. I used a ham steak cut into bite size pieces and placed on top so the juices dripped on the beans and potatoes as the ham steamed.

I always think I'll have lots of leftovers when I dish up but, by the time most everyone at the table has a second helping, well, there is probably enough for one small lunch later in the week.

283 Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:03 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

We made it home from the weekend in Lancaster, PA.

Someone is tired and in a *issy Mood! Gee, I wonder who that might be. DD could join in being *issy mood too.

She came from the bank crying about she lost her ipod player. Can't even look at her. She is on her way home now!... Thank God!

We stopped and picked up bacon and ham from a smokehouse and butcher shop.
Plus chocolate buds from Wilburs in Lititz, PA.

Now we sit home and eat.

284 Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:07 pm

bethk

Admin
Quick! LOCK THE DOORS....CLOSE THE BLINDS....TURN OFF THE LIGHTS.

Maybe the others will think you are still in PA?..........

285 Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:21 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Quick!   LOCK THE DOORS....CLOSE THE BLINDS....TURN OFF THE LIGHTS.

Maybe the others will think you are still in PA?..........
Ha Ha Ha ... Yeah!

I got home at 2:00 and the mailman came with the capacitor I ordered for Our Friends A/C Central air system.
I ran down, and plugged it on the wires..and Away it went cranking out the cold air. 10 minute job. I get payed with a nice big pork loin Thursday or Next Tuesday. Yummmm!!

They were ecstatic over the Cool Again Air in the house!

286 Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:35 pm

NormM

Charlie brought home a couple of strip steaks and some garlic bread and he asked me to grill the steaks. We had them and the bread with some leftover scalloped potatoes. Cassie is at work.

I painted the back deck today. The paint is transparent so you can still see the wood grain. I thought they did a poor job with watered down paint until I bought the new gallon and found out it is supposed to be like that.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

287 Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Barbara101

I picked up this Ham flavoring  today.. Where i go for my Sunday//.Monday morning sale of meats,I thought about getting some ham.Got this instead.For a store that has one full aisle of mexican food items,I have never seen one of that ethnic shopping anywhere in the store. Odd.

Now to find bunch's & bunch's of green beans. I don't mean that ""FRESH"" from Ca junk either.I guess IF I was in CA it would be fine..

288 Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. on Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:04 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Charlie brought home a couple of strip steaks and some garlic bread and he asked me to grill the steaks.  We had them and the bread with some leftover scalloped potatoes.  Cassie is at work.

I painted the back deck today.  The paint is transparent so you can still see the wood grain. I thought they did a poor job with watered down paint until I bought the new gallon and found out it is supposed to be like that.
I had paint /stain like that too Norm.

Tina liked it, but then the next year, she wanted it darker. It looked like heck after I used the dark stain.

I made the mistake of putting it in a garden sprayer, and like a production paint machine, away I went>>>> All through the cracks of the planks and dropped down and made polka dots all over the place under the deck.
My deck comes off the dining room and is 10 feet off the ground.

No More spraying. Roller is the way to go for me! LOL

289 Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. on Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:06 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:

I picked up this Ham flavoring  today.. Where i go for my Sunday//.Monday morning sale of meats,I thought about getting some ham.Got this instead.For a store that has one full aisle of mexican food items,I have never seen one of that ethnic shopping anywhere in the store. Odd.

Now to find bunch's & bunch's of green beans. I don't mean that ""FRESH"" from Ca junk either.I guess IF I was in CA it would be fine..
Like they say Barb! .... "Oh! Boya!..Goya" bounce 

290 Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. on Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:10 pm

Barbara101

big fat boneless chop..

291 Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. on Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:11 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

This is the place we stopped for the ham and bacon. Got some smoked chipped cured beef for making S O S

http://www.dietrichsmeats.com/

292 Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:22 pm

Imelda HL

our meatless Monday. Indonesian style salad, boiled veggies ( spinach, bean sprouts, cabbage ) with peanut sauce.. I asked my DH if he wanted it, if not he could make his own sandwich, and he was okay with it, he finished the whole plate without complaining   lol! 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pecel

we can add noodles, rice or rice noodles with it

I added some fried tempeh ( soybean cake), deep fired potato balls, hard boiled egg and some chips

293 Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:28 pm

bethk

Admin
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:This is the place we stopped for the ham and bacon. Got some smoked chipped cured beef for making S O S

How in the world did you get out of there without spending next month's house payment? They have over 6 kinds do custard pies! And please tell me Tina did NOT get any pickled pig snout.....the variety meats they array is amazing - stuff I haven't seen offered anyplace in years.

294 Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:31 pm

NormM

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
NormM wrote:Charlie brought home a couple of strip steaks and some garlic bread and he asked me to grill the steaks.  We had them and the bread with some leftover scalloped potatoes.  Cassie is at work.

I painted the back deck today.  The paint is transparent so you can still see the wood grain. I thought they did a poor job with watered down paint until I bought the new gallon and found out it is supposed to be like that.

Tina liked it, but then the next year, she wanted it darker. It looked like heck after I used the dark stain.

I made the mistake of putting it in a garden sprayer, and like a production paint machine, away I went>>>> All through the cracks of the planks and dropped down and made polka dots all over the place under the deck.

My deck has a lot of railing and I used a paint brush for all of it. Never thought about a roller but the deck is fairly small and all the rails and supports took most of the time. The deck was done fairly quickly. If I remember, I'll take a picture of it tomorrow when it's light out.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

295 Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:35 pm

bethk

Admin

Sounds like you had a good meal after working up a big appetite restaining the deck. Man food....meat and potatoes.

Last edited by bethk on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total

296 Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:43 pm

bethk

Admin
Barbara101 wrote:

big fat boneless chop..
That looks like a ham steak, Barb. Nice turn on the grill. Did you do the summer squash on the grill or sauté in a pan? I like the green zucchini sliced into planks, brushed w/oil and seasoned & grilled. I do the same with the yellow but it tends to be more watery and breaks up more so it has to be sliced a little thicker.

297 Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:44 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:This is the place we stopped for the ham and bacon. Got some smoked chipped cured beef for making S O S

How in the world did you get out of there without spending next month's house payment?  They have over 6 kinds do custard pies!  And please tell me Tina did NOT get any pickled pig snout.....the variety meats they  array is amazing - stuff I haven't seen offered anyplace in years.
Ha Ha Ha .... I know! Tina likes all that stuff.

Beth! They have pigs heads that are smoked for sale. Like 13.00 for one small one. I want one to varnish with a couple coats of clear shellac and I want to mount it on a board and put it in the kitchen.
Haaaaaa...right on the refrigerator door!

They had scrapple, and souse too! Yuck!

298 Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:45 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

[quote="NormM"]
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

My deck has a lot of railing and I used a paint brush for all of it.  Never thought about a roller but the deck is fairly small and all the rails and supports took most of the time. The deck was done fairly quickly. If I remember, I'll take a picture of it tomorrow when it's light out.[/quote]

Would love to see it Norm!

299 Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:48 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:our meatless Monday. Indonesian style salad, boiled veggies ( spinach, bean sprouts, cabbage ) with peanut sauce.. I asked my DH if he wanted it, if not he could make his own sandwich, and he was okay with it, he finished the whole plate without complaining   lol! 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pecel

we can add noodles, rice or rice noodles with it

I added some fried tempeh ( soybean cake), deep fired potato balls, hard boiled egg and some chips

Looks so Good Imelda!
Now I have a wish for Deviled Eggs. Since you mentioned hard eggs>

300 Re: Brand new Month.. It is August.. on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:53 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Laughing I just had a funny thought!
Winter will start soon, and I was thinking Tina and I have to start fattening ourselves up for the cold.

Oh Yeah! hahaha...we spend 2000.00 on food to fatten up so we won't freeze. Fuel to keep us warm on the other hand, will only cost 1,000.00.
But Heck! That's Not Fun .... I would rather spend more and be happy and shake my belly as I laugh like a bowl of jelly!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum