Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

HOW do you pick a melon

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1HOW do you pick a melon Empty HOW do you pick a melon Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:43 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I have all but stopped buying them.Honeydews are hard & tasteless.
cantaloupes the same. When I can get farm grown from here & they call them muskmelons, I will buy some.

I have not had a good casaba in 10yrs.We have a baby watermelons grown here,they call them Sugar Baby.I have to weed through the half's at pubix to find one that is fresh, I know it is not that fresh. some are very light green rind. I bought ayellow one time just to try it.No No Tossed it out..

Must be some trick to buying melons......

2HOW do you pick a melon Empty Re: HOW do you pick a melon Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

When we grew muskmelons we waited until the stem was starting to dry.  If you wait until they are completely dry you run the risk of the melon being over ripe and mushy, almost acidic tasting. I usually try to be sure the melon I am looking at in the store at least smells like sweet melon.

Same with those little watermelons.  A dry stem is a better indicator than the thumping method...what ARE they hoping to hear?

When I was a child and spent my summers with my grandma and grandpa in Nebraska we would drive to Grand Island to buy melons from a huge truck farmer.  He would cut a narrow core out of each and every watermelon to assure you got a tasty one.  Of course, he got mostly the heart of the melon so of course it was sweet.....neat gimmick, though.  He got rich every summer they had good crops of melons.

3HOW do you pick a melon Empty Re: HOW do you pick a melon Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:45 pm

JanaAZ

OMG...I've had the most incredible melons this year.

For cantaloupe, I look for the stem end where the stem has come off naturally and no part of the stem remains. I smell the stem end and it should smell sweet. I lightly press on the melon and it should have a slight give.

For watermelons, they are really easy. First, look for the melon to have a yellow spot where it laid on the ground. Also make sure the stem isn't still attached. The melon should be heavy for its size and should have a hollow thumping sound when you thump it. I often pick up a few melons and see which is heavier. That one will have the most juice.

4HOW do you pick a melon Empty Re: HOW do you pick a melon Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:11 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

For cantaloupe, I look for the stem end where the stem has come off naturally and no part of the stem remains. I smell the stem end and it should smell sweet. I lightly press on the melon and it should have a slight give.

I always smell the stem end, too, J.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum