Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Darn refrigerator.....

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Darn refrigerator..... Empty Darn refrigerator..... Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:34 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Last month the water supply line for the ice maker sprung a leak with a pinhole in the plastic line....huge mess from a teeny, tiny hole.

A week ago we discovered another puddle of water but figured it was from an ice cube the 10 yr. old said he had dropped. But I stuffed a piece of folded up paper towel by the bottom edge...."just in case". And this morning it was soaked.

So, DD helped me pull the beast away from the area it normally sits and it's now in the middle of the kitchen....taking up any walking room. I'm going to lay some paper towels under the back edge in hopes of discovering where the leak might be coming from.

The last thing I want to do is have to turn off the water supply to the ice maker, permanently, or have to purchase a new refrigerator. DD would probably love for us to unhook the ice maker and move this refrigerator to the utility room as a spare and buy a new refrigerator for the kitchen.....but that is NOT in our plan.

2Darn refrigerator..... Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:52 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

one time ,when I lived MD . The floor tile came loose right in front of the freezer part of the fridge. I mean overnight.Called a plumber. seems a ice cream wrapper fell on the line ??? Plugged up something. anyway it got fixed then the floor had to be fixed.

This rental had a old old beige nothing fridge with no ice maker,fine by me.I have had nothing but huge issues with them in the past.

On a whim I bought a new fridge . I did not have the ice maker hooked up.Then it took up the space & then the space for the ice cubes trays. I lost so much freezer space.I called & they came out & hooked it up. Man I have a full tray of ice every day.

This fridge is just perfect for me. By no means has a lot of bells & whistles. But is perfect for me.

3Darn refrigerator..... Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:24 am

JanaAZ

Barbara101 wrote:one time ,when I lived MD . The floor tile came loose right in front of the freezer part of the fridge. I mean overnight.Called a plumber. seems a ice cream wrapper fell on the line ??? Plugged up something. anyway it got fixed then the floor had to be fixed.

This rental had a old old beige nothing fridge with no ice maker,fine by me.I have had nothing but huge issues with them in the past.

On a whim I bought a new fridge . I did not have the ice maker hooked up.Then it took up the space & then the space for the ice cubes trays. I lost so much freezer space.I called & they came out & hooked it up. Man I have a full tray of ice every day.

This fridge is just perfect for me. By no means has a lot of bells & whistles. But is perfect for me.

I came back from a few days away to find my brand new fridge/freezer defrosted. What a mess. When I called to have it fixed it was 3 weeks out of warranty. I had a fit, and they extended the warranty to cover the problem. We had water all over, too, BBeth. I feel your pain.

4Darn refrigerator..... Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:30 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes, Jana, I remember when you talked about the problem. That's one of the reasons we wanted DD to live in our house here. I cannot imagine the problems that could crop up with no one to be around to monitor them.

My friend, Lyn, went on vacation for a week many years ago. As soon as they left the house there was a huge leak in the upstairs bathroom. They came home to a flood with water pouring out the doors. Their entire house had to be remodeled, and fortunately they had great home insurance!

5Darn refrigerator..... Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:35 am

JanaAZ

bethk wrote:Yes, Jana, I remember when you talked about the problem.  That's one of the reasons we wanted DD to live in our house here.  I cannot imagine the problems that could crop up with no one to be around to monitor them.  

My friend, Lyn, went on vacation for a week many years ago.  As soon as they left the house there was a huge leak in the upstairs bathroom.  They came home to a flood with water pouring out the doors.  Their entire house had to be remodeled, and fortunately they had great home insurance!

I know about that, too. When we returned from 3 weeks away to China a few yeas ago, our water heater broke and flooded one whole side of our house. What a mess that was. It must have happened the day we came home because it could have been so much worse.

6Darn refrigerator..... Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:41 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

The only good thing about having to constantly pull the refrigerator away from the wall is that the whole back and floor and walls get vacuumed every time it's pulled out. Heck, the floor under where it normally sits is cleaner than the rest of the kitchen.

7Darn refrigerator..... Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:37 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

When Dane was home for lunch I asked him to get the tool that fit the little hex head screws holding the panel(s) to the back of the refrigerator.  Because I didn't want to crawl on the floor I conned the 10 yr. old into removing the 15 or so screws for me.  Gee, Grandma, that was fun!  What else do you want me to do for you?  

I was expecting to see the area around the motor packed with pet hair but it wasn't dirty much at all.  Surprise!  But an inspection with the flashlight discovered an area Of rust under the copper coils by the big black thingy, looked like where the condensation dropped.  And that's when I noticed when the compressor came on the fan did not.   Hmmmm, that didn't look good.  So, when Dane got home I had him take a look.  Of course, since he's braver than me, he stuck his hand in there and gave the fan a twirl....and it started up.  But it's making a pinging noise, not really like its binding, but a definite rotating ping.

It's my guess the condensation dropped under the refrigerator and the fan didn't come on to evaporate it so it pooled and puddled under the refrigerator and soaked my paper towel trap.

So, jimmy, do I have to call for service to have the fan and/or fan motor replaced?  What's your best guess.  Or will a shot of W-D 40 do the trick?  Dane didn't have time to mess around with it because its golf night so it will just have to wait until he has more time.

I do think I did a pretty good detective job even if I don't have a clue what I'm looking for!

8Darn refrigerator..... Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:54 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:When Dane was home for lunch I asked him to get the tool that fit the little hex head screws holding the panel(s) to the back of the refrigerator.  Because I didn't want to crawl on the floor I conned the 10 yr. old into removing the 15 or so screws for me.  Gee, Grandma, that was fun!  What else do you want me to do for you?  

I was expecting to see the area around the motor packed with pet hair but it wasn't dirty much at all.  Surprise!  But an inspection with the flashlight discovered an area Of rust under the copper coils by the big black thingy, looked like where the condensation dropped.  And that's when I noticed when the compressor came on the fan did not.   Hmmmm, that didn't look good.  So, when Dane got home I had him take a look.  Of course, since he's braver than me, he stuck his hand in there and gave the fan a twirl....and it started up.  But it's making a pinging noise, not really like its binding, but a definite rotating ping.

It's my guess the condensation dropped under the refrigerator and the fan didn't come on to evaporate it so it pooled and puddled under the refrigerator and soaked my paper towel trap.

So, jimmy, do I have to call for service to have the fan and/or fan motor replaced?  What's your best guess.  Or will a shot of W-D 40 do the trick?  Dane didn't have time to mess around with it because its golf night so it will just have to wait until he has more time.

I do think I did a pretty good detective job even if I don't have a clue what I'm looking for!

YES! That is the condenser fan motor. That must run when the compressor runs.
It's only a little tiny motor, but like I said, it MUST run.
You can buy one on line if you know the model number of your machine, on a appliance parts place... One way or another and it's no big deal, but it needs replacing.
To get around it so that you don't lose the product in the freezer fridge, if you have a small like desk fan... have Hubs plug it in and let it blow onto the coil at the bottom all the time...until you can get it replaced.
All it needs...is airflow, and that will save it all. Ya get what I'm saying??
The refer does not know where the air comes from, but it HAS TO Have that coil blown with air from someplace. It's a 41,00 item and a new blade with it is about 12.00 but the repair man will probably do a 300% on the parts.
30 minute job....plus the service initial call should do it. They usually carry generic fan motors on the truck. .....

9Darn refrigerator..... Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:03 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Okey dokey, I guess I'll do some research and phone calls. I'm sure Mr. amazing can replace it if I can find it.

DD can only complain about, " What IS that noise???"

10Darn refrigerator..... Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:11 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Okey dokey, I guess I'll do some research and phone calls.  I'm sure Mr. amazing can replace it if I can find it.

DD can only complain about, " What IS that noise???"

Just remember.... the fan blade is a bear to get off sometimes. Usually it is just slid on the shaft. If it is bent...it will hit and wobble. Buy the fan Blade with it just in case.....
Isn't it Fun Fun Fun??

11Darn refrigerator..... Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:29 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes, I figured if I was going to get the motor I might as well get a new fan, too. Otherwise he will ask me to clean with Formula 409 and I'll probably cut my hand on the sharp sheet metal and get an infection and die....oh, that sounded a little DRAMATIC, didn't it? But if this is the last post you ever see from me, you tell everyone I got cheap and didn't want to pop for the price of an inexpensive 6" sheet metal fan.......

12Darn refrigerator..... Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:48 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Yes, I figured if I was going to get the motor I might as well get a new fan, too.  Otherwise he will ask me to clean with Formula 409 and I'll probably cut my hand on the sharp sheet metal and get an infection and die....oh, that sounded a little DRAMATIC, didn't it?  But if this is the last post you ever see from me, you tell everyone I got cheap and didn't want to pop for the price of an inexpensive 6" sheet metal fan.......

Oh Dear Lord... Don't Get Cut.

You can Google... Parts for Amana or Maytag whatever it is, and there are a lot of appliance parts sites.

13Darn refrigerator..... Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:07 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I just found the site....put in my model number....BX22A2W.....

Motor is $40 + change. New fan is $21 +...

But get this....they have a video to show how to replace the thing.

I can get the part number and see if its available to pick up locally. When Dane looks at it he'll determine if the fan can be reused. It's not bent or wobbly, just doesn't want to turn freely. He'll figure it out.

Thanks for the help.

And I figured out I bought it 04/27/95....because I write the purchase date on the sticker/label that lists the model and serial numbers.

So, should you purchase an extended warranty? This is the first repair since we purchased it....you decide. LOL

14Darn refrigerator..... Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:24 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I just found the site....put in my model number....BX22A2W.....

Motor is $40 + change.  New fan is $21 +...

But get this....they have a video to show how to replace the thing.

I can get the part number and see if its available to pick up locally.  When Dane looks at it he'll determine if the fan can be reused.  It's not bent or wobbly, just doesn't want to turn freely.  He'll figure it out.  

Thanks for the help.

And I figured out I bought it 04/27/95....because I write the purchase date on the sticker/label that lists the model and serial numbers.

So, should you purchase an extended warranty?  This is the first repair since we purchased it....you decide.  LOL

GREAT News for a change.... It's reall no big deal to replace. If one could put in a battery in a car...they should be able to do the motor.

Did Ya get a fan and stick it in the back and let it blow?? That is a temporary fix...unless you can live with the fridge sticking out like that. hahahaha

Just treat the fan blade with finess.

One good came from it. You got a clean floor under the massive beast. hahahahaha

15Darn refrigerator..... Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:41 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Since Dane gave it a twirl the fan has started on its own...but he's going to replace the motor anyway.

I told him there was a video and you would have thought I slapped him....

He knows HOW to do that...I just need to go pick up the part. Ah, the fragile male ego. Hahahahaha.

It will be repaired by this weekend, probably tomorrow evening.

16Darn refrigerator..... Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:28 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Since Dane gave it a twirl the fan has started on its own...but he's going to replace the motor anyway.

I told him there was a video and you would have thought I slapped him....

He knows HOW to do that...I just need to go pick up the part.  Ah, the fragile male ego.  Hahahahaha.

It will be repaired by this weekend, probably tomorrow evening.

Just remember.... once the temperature is satisfied, the fan will stop; so you may have to give the finger flip to get it going again.

17Darn refrigerator..... Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Nah, wouldn't you know, it's started on its own all evening.

It's still going to be replaced. Too close a call to a major fail and I'm not willing to take the chance to put off the repair.

18Darn refrigerator..... Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:03 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Yes, Jana, I remember when you talked about the problem. That's one of the reasons we wanted DD to live in our house here. I cannot imagine the problems that could crop up with no one to be around to monitor them.

That's why vacancy insurance is so high, Beth.

19Darn refrigerator..... Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:36 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Beth.... did ya get the parts for the fridge??

20Darn refrigerator..... Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:51 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, yeah...got the part. Dane installed it Saturday morning, first thing.

Took him 12 minutes - I timed him. LOL

Now I need to clean out the inside. Bet it takes ME longer than 12 minutes....sigh.......

21Darn refrigerator..... Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Oh, yeah...got the part.  Dane installed it Saturday morning, first thing.

Took him 12 minutes - I timed him.  LOL

Now I need to clean out the inside.  Bet it takes ME longer than 12 minutes....sigh.......

Great!...

I hear ya on the 12 minute cleaning.
Tina cleaned ours out the other day. Only the refrigerator side, and not the freezer.
I could hardly lift the stretch bag without breaking it.
Thank God it is cool. That garbage can would attract a billion ants with all the jelly jars in there.

22Darn refrigerator..... Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Mine is AWFUL right now. When DD moved in she brought all her condiments. I swear, she never eats all that stuff. She must have 4 different kinds of dill pickles....for what? I only have the Tony Packo sweet hots - don't need anything else! And she's into saving those stupid packs from carry out. I can understand a couple, but she has 20 or 30 of an assortment tossed in the little covered compartment on the door. It's all gonna get tossed when I tear into it. But for tonight, it's just fine....I don't care.

23Darn refrigerator..... Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:29 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Mine is AWFUL right now.  When DD moved in she brought all her condiments.  I swear, she never eats all that stuff.  She must have 4 different kinds of dill pickles....for what?  I only have the Tony Packo sweet hots - don't need anything else!  And she's into saving those stupid packs from carry out.  I can understand a couple, but she has 20 or 30 of an assortment tossed in the little covered compartment on the door.  It's all gonna get tossed when I tear into it.  But for tonight, it's just fine....I don't care.

OMG I thought we were the only ones that had a take outs condiments.

5 different mustards. 3 are DD's special ones with the seeds.
Then the Three sticky @$$ containers of soy sauce and ketchup, and honey mustard. I'm like...FOR WHAT? ... Tina's like for when we run out.

Yeah Right, Run out. A gallon of soy sauce downstaris fridge. * big bottles ketchup.
in the cupboards. SHhhhhhhhh!! I throw three or four out every time I look for something in the fridge.

And the salad dressings. OMG... 5 different ranch... two French.. 6 italian herbs and vinegar.
Most of the tops are so crusted they have to be heated under warm water to get unstuck.

When I was a kid. We had French and Bluecheese on the door. That was it. mom made her own Italian dressing fresh every meal. We finished the old mustard before we opened a new one.

Then they came out with tupperware. The mustard and ketchup squeezers first, and then the WOW ! Pump! The only thing with the pump was....when it was low, it no pump anymore.
At least the squeeze ones were able to shake down the whats left in there.
We still have a bunch of new ones somewhere from when Tina was a Tupperware Rep.
We still use the salt and pepper shakers. The ones with a top attached with a plastic hinge.
We even have the lunchbox baby ones.

We grew up on Tupperware and Melmac dishes and coffee cups.

We still have the four section server with the lids and the ring on top to pass it down filled with condiments. Mom used to just use that thing for pickles and olives and or peanuts, and m&ms etc.
They were sloppy for condiments. Good thought though!

24Darn refrigerator..... Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a Tupperware job BETTER than a sales rep. I worked in the office of the Tupperware distributor where all the home party ladies (and a couple men) came for sales meetings and new product introductions. I got to buy all the Tupperware I wanted, including those wonderful party favors. Those little Wonderlier Bowl Keychains were my favorite. Nice to include with the girls' packed lunches for their dipping sauce, seasoning, salad dressing or milk money. Man, I loved those. And cheap, too!

Only thing was, I could never bring myself to drink out of a Tupperware glass. Still can't.

25Darn refrigerator..... Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I remember the Fridgidair Big Pink Refrigerator with the bottom freezer, it had a Butter Keeper.
A lid on the door see through, and next to it, it had a knob cooler / warmer so that the butter was cool, and not hard as a rock. I loved that.
I remember, there was one refrigerator / freezer with a pedal to step on to open the door.
Unbelieveable...that thing never broke. I remember when we got it! Dad would guard it and remind us,"Step gently kids!" Easy! Don't slam on it, it's not a brake for the car.
Now that was like BIG DEAL to have a foot pedal to open the fridge door! hahahahaha

That machine was huge. It even had what they called, a ice cube ejector and bin.
You still added water to the ice trays, but they were special. They had no crank handle. There was a slide above the ice bin, and when the cubes were ready, you just slid the tray of cubes upsde down...they only fit that one way, and with a slight push, the cubes would eject into the slide out ice bin.
That was way before ice machines in residential refrigerators.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum