Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Southern style beans....

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Southern style beans.... Empty Southern style beans.... Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:04 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was looking in the pantry and I saw a bag of Mayacoba beans and that got me to thinking I'd like to make a nice pot of Southern style beans. I'm going to have to put it off for a few days because I don't have all the ingredients I want to incorporate.

So I thought I'd take this time to seek some advice and opinions, utilizing everyone's joint experience.

I want the beans to have a bit of heat but not "sweat-on-the-forehead" heat. If I add some finely chopped Serrano peppers should I wait until near the end of the cooking, when the beans are starting to soften or should I add the pepper in the beginning to impart flavor from the get-go?

I don't have any ham broth here so I'm thinking of starting with a chunk of salt pork. Should I chop and brown or just chop and let it cook with the beans and enough water to cover?

So, if you would, please, share your thoughts and experience so I can come up with a tasty pot of beans.

2Southern style beans.... Empty Re: Southern style beans.... Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:15 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Though I've never made that type of beans before, Beth, many years ago I did indeed use salt pork. Definitely chop it and brown it prior to adding to the beans. And don't salt the beans until much later (when you start smashing some of the beans against the side of the pot to thicken).

And I'd finely chop and seed (and remove the pith) of the serano pepper and would add some of it in the beginning when you add your onions, celery, etc. That way you can taste it as it cooks and see if you need to add some more for the heat you're looking for. As you know, the pith and the seeds have the most heat, so you can always save them and add them later if you need more heat.

Let me know how they turn out!

3Southern style beans.... Empty Re: Southern style beans.... Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:28 pm

NormM

NormM

1 (1 lb.) bag small white beans
6 c. water

Bring to boil, discard water, add 6 cups water, bring to boil, add

1 tbsp. brown sugar
1/8 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 can chicken broth
2 lb. cooked ham cut in pieces
1 onion, chopped
Few dashes sherry
Salt and pepper to taste
red pepper flakes to taste, optional

Simmer to taste 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

4Southern style beans.... Empty Re: Southern style beans.... Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm making my beans today. The salt pork was difficult to cut up, I ended up cutting off the skin side in one piece and will leave it whole to season the beans. I did add some fresh thyme because I like the flavor it adds to most dishes. I'm going to add the pepper about halfway through the cooking so the flavor isn't cooked out completely. At least that's my plan right now.

5Southern style beans.... Empty Re: Southern style beans.... Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:05 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

southern beans around my house are like my grand made.

big mess of green beans,bacon grease,fat back, onion. cook them to death. Then add small tators. geek serve with corn bread.

6Southern style beans.... Empty Re: Southern style beans.... Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:57 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The beans are done and delicious. There is something about the flavor and texture of the mayacoba beans that I really like. The skin side of the salt pork got tossed before DD saw it....there was a VERY NOTICABLE part that would have grossed her out for sure....the piece was definitely from the underside of the pig and you can imagine what was obvious when it started to cook and the skin tightened up....ewwww! (As DD would say).

Since I was only cooking half a package of the beans, which will be more than enough for some leftovers, I thought two Serrano peppers would be fine...either they were not at all spicy or I should have used something spicier, but I ended up adding about 1 1/2 tsp. of red pepper flakes to get any spice at all.

I think I'm going to grill some Johnsonville smoked beef brats to have with the beans as I'm the only one in the house who thinks beans and cornbread is a complete meal.

Barb, the long cooked green beans are not one of my favorites. But my family will eat a gigantic pot of green beans, new potatoes and ham chunks (usually steamed using some homemade ham stock) and they aren't cooked any longer than it takes to get tender.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum