Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The article said it was the best fried chicken you will ever make at home

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

NormM

NormM

I copied this from the KC Star the other day. It was by a guy who said he never bothered to make fried chicken but recently had some when he worked with Tyler Florence and his was the absolute best but Tyler had a sous vide machine. He said he developed this one with the help of Tyler and that it was not nearly as good as the original but was the best fried chicken you will ever make at home. I tried it and it has promise but next time I'll use the seasonings in the breading and fry the chicken without the poaching first. However the poaching liquid was DELICIOUS. I will add rosemary to my next chicken broth for sure. For this one I used two cans of chicken broth and 4 cans of water. I simmered it with the bones I removed from the thighs for about 45 minutes, then I poached the boneless, skinless thighs three at a time. I had 12 thighs.

Tyler Florence inspired Fried Chicken

The best fried chicken you will ever make at home.

for the poaching

6 C. chicken broth
3 sprigs fresh rosemary, gently bruised
1 T. lightly crushed black peppercorns
1/2 T. kosher salt
3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs

for the breading

1 C. AP flour
12 fresh sage leaves
2 large sprigs fresh rosemary leaves
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 T. chopped fresh thyme
2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
3 C. panko bread crumbs
1 C. buttermilk
3 eggs, beaten with 1 T. water
1 quart peanut oil

Poach chicken in large saucepan with broth, rosemary, peppercorns and salt. Bring liquid to bare simmer, add chicken, return to simmer, cover and cook, keeping heat just below simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until meat reaches 165º

Meanwhile prepare breading. Combine flour, sage, rosemary, garlic powder, thyme, dalt and pepper in food processor and process until seasonings are ground and mostly undetectable. Transfer to gallon plastic bag.

Once chicken has finished poaching, transfer to cutting board until cook enough to handle, then pat dry.

One at a time, soak the chicken briefly in buttermilk then remove, shaking off any excess. Place in the bag with the flour mixture to lightly coat. Remove from bag and dredge through eggs. Remove, shaking off any excess and put in bag with panko. Gently shake to coat. Pat the panko onto the meat. Set fully breaded chicken thighs on rimmed baking sheet. Repeat with all thighs. Add more Panko near the end if they start to get soggy. Chicken my be covered with plastic and refrigerated up to a day or fried immediately.

Preheat oil to 400, set oven to 200. Fry chicken 2 at a time for 10 to 15 seconds, until browned and crisp. With tongs or slotted spoon transfer to oven to keep warm until all chicken is fried. Allow oil to return to 400º after removing each batch of chicken. Serve.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

That is certainly the most unusual " fried chicken" recipe/method I've ever seen.

I can understand how flavorful the meat must be since it is cooked, or rather, poached to infuse the flavor and moistness of the seasoned broth. This sounds like something I might like to experiment with this fall when I get back in my villa.

Thanks for posting, Norm. When I have the chance I'll definitely copy it over to my files.

So many make fun or jest of Tyler Florence, but I've used a number of his recipes and some have worked their way into my standard rotation. One, in particular, is his recipe for stuffed cabbage, was the one I adapted and use to this day.

NormM

NormM

It is very flavorful but I think it needs some more experimentation.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Crybaby

Crybaby

You guys are better than me -- I don't deep fry ANYTHING. If we do, I'll do it in a wok on the outside burner that we use for seafood boils. It's just too messy and then I never know what to do with the leftover grease! Plus, it's just too easy to pick it up already done.

I've always thought buttermilk-soaked fried chicken was the best, though.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum