Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ???

+5
NormM
Barbara101
Imelda HL
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14 ... 18  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 18]

251JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:49 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

WOW - those meals look amazing.   My stuffed zucchini was really tasty.  It's a meal that is easy to prepare and have on those nights when you want a comfort meal.  We're both full and ready for a quiet evening of each of us watching different tv's.....lol

252JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:04 pm

JanaAZ

I'm finishing cooking all the food that defrosted when my freezer went out. Today I'm making buffalo chicken burgers. I still have some ground turkey that I need to figure out. I think I'll turn that into taco meat.

253JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:24 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jana, the LAST meal is always the hardest to figure out.

I usually end up tossing it because I'm too worn out to get creative. Good luck with whatever you choose.

254JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:54 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:thanks Barb.. I know what to look for now and your cucumber looks so good.. I bet it tastes so fresh

so Beth.. how was your stuffed zucchini doing? anybody noticed the blackened veggies? Smile 

I did not change my mind.. I cooked small shell pasta, red bean, hot sausage, and kale.. one dish meal.. topped with lots of Parmesan cheese.. DH was a happy camper
lol! 

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 37

and I cooked this spicy chicken for my dinner tomorrow ( I;m not sure if my DH wants it, but I have leftover pasta for him JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 1838020472  ).. I browned the chickens in a non stick pan, then baked in oven, seasoned with salt only, after they were done, I cooked them in a pan with my chili sauce, added tomatoes, vinegar and sugar, let them simmered for 30 minutes..

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 36

Imelda, it looks like it snowed on your pasta shells dish!
My Grandmom would put her ear close to the macaroni's, and say,"Hear Them?
They are Calling for Cheese!"

255JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:59 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I made GD's Special Favorite today.
I call them Tortilla Manicotti...
Cheese filling and some with a meat filling.

I used the tortilla 's, and wet them under warm running water so they would not crack, and filled and made great manicotti. They were so easy, and in one hour they were ready to bake.

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 8z1j

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 8da2

There were more pics, but image shack is having problems they said.

256JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:03 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy, who did you cook for? An Army??? Go big or go home, huh? Looks fantastic!

257JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:16 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Jimmy, who did you cook for?  An Army???   Go big or go home, huh?  Looks fantastic!

hahahahahahaah......

I had a huge share, and GD sopped down 4.
There are like 5 left.
She will eat them tomorrow.

I usually make the shells (crepes) which is easy, but I discovered using tortilla wraps works great. Just have to wet them down so they become more pliable.

I also made a meat pate like filling like my moms friend Mrs. Berardelli made, and gave the secret ingredient besides the Italian spices and cheese.
Mint ... Just a quick shake of mint leaves. Oh so tasty, but hardly noticeable.
I make stuffed cannoni or rigatoni with the meat filling some times.

258JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:55 pm

JanaAZ

bethk wrote:Jana, the LAST meal is always the hardest to figure out.

I usually end up tossing it because I'm too worn out to get creative.  Good luck with whatever you choose.

Well, the chicken ended up smelling funny so I threw it away. However, the turkey meat was a great stand-in for the buffalo burgers. They were pretty darn tasty.

259JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:40 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 968994_480766062016857_1867851908_n

Ok I made a burger with the other half of my gd turkey.

JIMMY,, how long do you grill that turkey breast?How much did it weigh.

I know you have a gasser.My gasser only has one burner, so that might be out.IDK..
oh & my turkeys are 8 to 10 lb. I buy small ones.

260JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:15 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, Barb, a big juicy burger! Yum! I love a burger or BLT with avocado, although it does get slippery to keep the sandwich together.

I would think a single burner gas grill would be an almost perfect appliance to cook a turkey....as long as you have a lid to turn it oven-like. I would use either a breast or if whole, at least remove the spine as in spatchcocked. Then just let it cook. I would think 45 minutes to 1-1/4 hr., depending upon size and thickness. I would definitely use a thermometer.

261JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:33 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

thanks.. yes you really have to spice up gd turkey.I also bought 5 avocados lol Had to use them up fast.

going to thaw out this bird. Cut it up.Sad hate doing that. Grill the breast & cook the legs & wings.I may give the girls the meat from that. I don't really like dark meat.

They are 2 fussy girls too. well I have to take credit for that, I spoil them.

I also Dumba me bought 2 bags of spinach.JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 2855670339 Have to use t before it goes slimy.I remember when you could buy spinach loose ,not bagged.

262JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:57 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, you could use one bag of spinach for your breakfast or brunch tomorrow.

I like wilting it with a bit of caramalized shallot or onion and then put a couple soft boiled or poached eggs on top....or go "whole hog" and make one of those woven bacon squares to go between the two.

I love the combination of spinach, bacon and runny egg yolk....

Or what about one of your strawberry spinach salads?

You could always make some turkey vegetable soup and add a whole bag just at serving - make your soup look and taste as good as Imelda's always looks.

263JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:34 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, more thoughts on spinach....

What about creamed spinach and grill one of those steaks you picked up at Food Lion on the cheap?

Or, do you have any feta? Spinach and feta pairs good together....maybe a sort of spinach pie filling as a side dish (minus the phylo sheets).

I'm still thinking the turkey vegetable soup with as many fresh vegetables as you've got....

264JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:40 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

going to get BOGO feta today.OMG I would LOVE LOVE some spinach pie.I do not care for cooked spinach as a side it always seems so watery. My Mom made it with bacon. it was good but still wet.

I am going to fix a spinach salad for lunch..

265JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:42 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Why didn't I think of this immediately???

Creamed spinach or spinach pie filling with feta as a filling for stuffed zucchini?

You could add a meat or go vegetarian....

266JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:47 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

you know what I have wanted for a LONG time,is a souffle. I used to make them all the time & made one with spinach..I had several dishes & I have no clue where they went.

I need to get another one.

I could make a quiche too.I will have to get cream or milk.

267JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:55 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I saw something on the web recently that you could try....

Soufflé in large coffee mugs, the stoneware kind.  I think they even used some of those large latte cups that were popular a few years ago.  You probably have some of those stuffed in the back of a cabinet someplace.

As long as you are going to the grocery store you could pick up a spaghetti squash and use it to make the crust for your quiche like I did a couple months ago....remember that? It was interesting and it's one of those subs you can eat.

268JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:27 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Excuuuuuuse me! ... Huff Puff Huff Puff!!! Whew! I can finally get a word in here edgewise... LOL LOL LOL

BTW Nice sangwitch Barbara.. Whutzit a GobbleBurger..? ? ?

OK... The breast was a small one. like 5 or 6 lb. I soaked it in lots a salt water for 3 hours, I rinsed it...salted and peppered it, and Breast side up Cavity down, in a cast iron roaster covered.
In the grill both burners on low 370 degrees + - and over a old 13 x 9 pan filled with water and a grate cooling rack on top that. I just set the turkey pot on top the cooling rack over the water pan. Closed the lid on the grill, and removed the top after 2 hours till the skin browned a little more.

It was soft inside and well done on the skin outside. (I) even ate three little crisp pieces.

OK... Continue Girls.....hahahahaha

269JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:05 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Excuuuuuuse me! ... Huff Puff Huff Puff!!! Whew! I can finally get a word in here edgewise... LOL LOL LOL

OK... Continue Girls.....hahahahaha

EXCUSE ME !?!?!?

Might you be suggesting I talk too much? To quote a cooking term, "that's like the pot calling the kettle black"

Hahahahahahaha! Try as you might, but you couldn't insult me if you tried....

I do, by the way, like the method of turning your grill into an oven. Great way to do it if you want to keep the heat out of the kitchen.

270JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:13 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

well I read it 4 times & I guess I am stupid-O. I clearly need a visual JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 512660330 

I also only have one burner on my weber Q.But I will try it some how some way.

271JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:24 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Boy, Barb, the lengths I go for you.....

(I sure hope this link works)  no, it didn't.....aaaaarrrrrggghhhhh

http://www.firepit-and-grilling-guru.com/grill-skillet.html

If this link works, go to the site and look at the pics of stuff cooking in a Dutch oven over a fire....charcoal or gas would work.

Jimmy just set his hot pot over a pan of water so the turkey didn't burn in the pot.

272JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:01 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've got some chicken thighs to grill. I'll just season with s&p and cook in a foil covered pan until the fat renders off and then on to the grates to crisp up the skin. I par cooked a couple russet potatoes in the microwave and I'll finish them on the grill and we'll top with butter and chive sour cream. I didn't have any fresh vegetables so I cooked up a package of frozen green beans and cooled them down. I rendered off a couple slices of bacon & reserved, softened some onion slices and will cook the beans in the pan with the bacon fat and onion. I'll top them with the reserved bacon.

273JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:54 pm

NormM

NormM

Leftovers: Counrty ribs, green beans and tomato from the Farmers Market

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 DSCN0639_zps53f5bea0

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

274JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:53 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Ief2

HOT SAUSAGE GRILLLED

IMAGE SHACK NOT WORKING RIGHT...GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

275JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:09 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Boy, Norm, you still have me wanting country ribs! Why is it pork is on sale so much in the summer....could be because it pairs so well with things like corn on the cob and garden tomatoes.....

Jimmy - your sausages always look ready to stick a fork in and then just take a bite....no knife needed for the first one, anyway.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 18]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum