Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Welcome November what's cooking!

+4
NormM
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
Niagara Visitor
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 13]

176Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:28 pm

Niagara Visitor

A little of this, a little of that for me today. Had a huge omelet for breakfast.   I've been snacking for hours.  Had some salmon left over from last night, so about 2 o'clock I had some of that.  Then a bit of fruit salad. Then some slices of salami.............. then a big bowl of seafood chowder was my supper.  For dessert I had a huge heirloom tomato with salt on it!

177Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:47 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

DD pureeing pumpkin to freeze for pies. All from scratch.
She put a pizza together from a pocket flatbread.

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Img_1313
Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Img_1314
[url=https://servimg.com/view/18594668/289]

178Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:32 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have a jar of ghee in my cupboard. At least it tastes like butter. My parents used to use an unsalted margarine.
I was in Walmart and saw that they sell jars of duck fat. What do you use duck fat for?

179Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:45 am

Niagara Visitor

Duck fat in a jar? f Use it for frying. Duck or goose fat can be used to make home fries  tastes great.  Best of course is bacon grease.

Last edited by Niagara Visitor on Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

180Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:44 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I use bacon grease for my home fries. It is the best.

Got some of those hairball cat treats. My cats love them. Thanks again.

181Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:25 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Duck fat in a jar could be used to make fabulous French fries ~ went to a restaurant in Maine called, "Duck Fat" (pretty descriptive, huh?) and they did have very good fries, or frites, as they called them. You would also use it to make a duck confit where the duck meat is covered completely in duck fat to render the fat off the cooking duck and make the meat super tender and rich.

I'm going to go learn how to make a traditional English Fish Pie today. One of our English neighbors is making it for a few of us to try. I'll try to remember to take pics and, hopefully, explain it later.

182Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had a late lunch at our friends' Gordon & Judith's villa. They hail from England and had invited us and 3 other couples to come for a traditional English Fish Pie. And wouldn't you know, I took pics of the prep but failed to touch my phone to take a pic as they came from the oven. So, pretend the final pics of the potato covered casseroles are lightly browned, one with shredded cheese and one with a bit of butter.....

The fish used: cod, tuna, salmon & baby shrimp:

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Fish_p10

The cod poached in whole milk just until it flaked:

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Fish_p11

The cod broken into flakes:

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Fish_p12

The tuna (and also the salmon filets) poached in a bit of white wine until flaky:

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Fish_p13

All the flaked fish & shrimp equally distributed in the casserole dish:

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Fish_p14

The poaching milk was used, with a bit of cornstarch to thicken, and a container of Creme Fraiche as the cream sauce to pour over the fish:

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Fish_p15

The casserole was covered with 'stiff' mashed potato and sprinkled with butter or shredded cheese:

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Fish_p16

183Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:50 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Hello all, I'm back, I came back 10 days ago and have been reading this November thread, I haven't got around to read the other topics.

Jimmy, it's good to know you are okay now, I was worried when I got the email from Beth about your heart attack.

I did not get on here much while I was away, I used my cellphone and it was hard to read on that small screen. Now I'm back and use my desktop with a big screen and big fonts Laughing

I haven't cooked much yet, house is still messy, I left my house tidied and clean, I came back to clean but messy house, he steamed and vacuumed the carpet, mopped the floor, dusted the table, but he put a month long mails anywhere he wanted, cleaned and washed laundry here and there, my kitchen counter is full of washed containers and plates Embarassed  I need some times to tidy them up, but I did not want to complain, as I'm going away again next January Very Happy

So warm hello from me, and it's good to be back again

184Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:22 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:Hello all, I'm back, I came back 10 days ago and have been reading this November thread, I haven't got around to read the other topics.

Jimmy, it's good to know you are okay now, I was worried when I got the email from Beth about your heart attack.

I did not get on here much while I was away, I used my cellphone and it was hard to read on that small screen. Now I'm back and use my desktop with a big screen and big fonts Laughing

I haven't cooked much yet, house is still messy, I left my house tidied and clean, I came back to clean but messy house, he steamed and vacuumed the carpet, mopped the floor, dusted the table, but he put a month long mails anywhere he wanted, cleaned and washed laundry here and there, my kitchen counter is full of washed containers and plates Embarassed  I need some times to tidy them up, but I did not want to complain, as I'm going away again next January Very Happy

So warm hello from me, and it's good to be back again

Hi Imelda... Glad to see you are back. We don't go by the rules as far as posting in the other categories, and a few, we do, but generally, we tell all in this post thread about everything. It's like all of us sitting at the table, and making conversation. Yadda yadda yadda!

Get settled in, and talk to you later.
Laughing

185Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:32 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had a Cod fish steamed in wine and butter sauce. Frozen cauliflower and sweet potato rice. No rice in it; but just itzy bitz of the cauliflower and sweet potato in a rice shape....For breakfast, I had two 6 inch Kodiak Brand wheat pancakes that Tina made me.
Just a tbs. of syrup. Coffee....

Lunch was a low sodium Thumanns Ham and Cheese with a tsp of mayo. NOT the normal three tbs. I used to use.

186Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:50 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Glad you're back, Imelda! Even though there's a bit of 'messy' to straighten up, I'll bet it's good to be home.

187Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:53 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

188Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:14 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

This was flying over our house this morning

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Balloon

189Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:12 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Read this so you have a healthy Thanksgiving.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/5-tips-make-sure-thanksgiving-turkey-safe-from-salmonella/

For years, growing up, and even now, we just leave the turkey on the table covered with foil, and after belching and napping, we will go back to picking at it. Not ever did we get sick. LOL

190Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:33 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:The New butter......
It's good; especially at $10.00 for the jar. It's unsalted.

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Img_1312

I've had ghee in my pantry for years -- it's just clarified butter. We use it often when we're sautéing something in butter and want to raise the smoke point.

191Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:36 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Got some of those hairball cat treats. My cats love them. Thanks again.

Glad they like them. Hope you notice a difference in their upchucks now that they're eating them. Try giving each cat a couple of them a day, Debbie. I used to wait until I saw a spitup on the deck but with Persians, you'd probably fare better by just giving them a couple each morning.

Last edited by Crybaby on Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:26 pm; edited 2 times in total

192Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:38 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:[size=16]DD pureeing pumpkin to freeze for pies. All from scratch.
She put a pizza together from a pocket flatbread.

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Img_1313
Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Img_1314

This is the daughter that has the farm, right? What's her name again?

Her pizza looks delicious!

193Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:49 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:I was in Walmart and saw that they sell jars of duck fat. What do you use duck fat for?

Wow, I never see duck fat in the store. I'd like to have some in my pantry. You can use it to sauté, as it has a high smoke point, too, like ghee. I'd slather it on a whole chicken before baking -- yum -- and if you were making potatoes on the stovetop or in a casserole, duck fat would add a ton of flavor. I'd love using it when sautéing breaded chicken breasts.

We usually use bacon fat with our aromatics for lots of things, particularly vegetables, and I'd love to have duck fat on hand for those kind of things.

I'm going to start looking for it in the store. What section of things did you see it stocked in in Walmart, Debbie? (I never see ghee at the grocery but buy it online, but I'd imagine ghee would be near the duckfat.) Next time I order a bunch of foodstuffs online, I'm going to look for it for sure.

194Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:07 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:covered with foil, and after belching and napping, we will go back to picking at it.  Not ever did we get sick. LOL

Same here, Jimmy. I'm not too antsy about things going bad quickly and we've never gotten ill from anything in our kitchen. We leave evaporated milk out of the fridge often so it's room temp for our hot coffee. My mom did that, too, when I was growing up. When her sister would visit (a medical technologist), she'd constantly be sticking it in the fridge. We'd laugh when she left, as her house was a PIGSTY yet she was concerned about canned milk when she was at my mom's immaculate house!

I did the same thing at my last job with canned milk (everyone else used that dry coffee creamer) and my boss, an attorney/RN, would constantly be putting it in the fridge before my second cup. I finally asked her to stop and she said she thought it was the right thing to do. Laughed and told her my mom was a nurse, too, and she didn't have a problem with it. Canned milk is pasteurized and leaving it out of the fridge once opened hours at a time my entire lifetime had never been a problem. I had to train Lynn, my cleaning lady, to stop putting it in the fridge, too. I guess she's okay with it as she still uses it in her coffee when she's here.

I think it depends on how hot you keep your house, too. Our house is usually very cool, be it summer or winter. I'm not oblivious to things that should be refrigerated promptly, like things with mayo, e.g., potato salad, but often times I think people worry too much about leaving things out for a little while.

195Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:16 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Glad you're back, Imelda. I hope all the weather-related happenings in Indonesia didn't affect any of your family or loved ones. I've thought of you often when watching the news lately and even said a prayer that you and yours were okay.

Laughed at your description of the house when you came back but all things considered with how long you're gone, that's not too bad. Disorder is easier to deal with than dirty so there's that!

I'm always around here but I still have to chastise Brian about leaving mail all over the place downstairs. I get a TON of catalogs every day -- even more now that the holidays are here -- since I do so much mail order. I have to remind him that there are bills and important things that come in the mail in addition to all those catalogs that I need to see promptly (I'm the bill payer and "money man" around here).

It's so nice that you're able to go home to see your family so often, Imelda. But it's nice for us when you're back as I can't wait to see your beautiful pictures of your vegetable heavy meals. Yum. Can't wait. Once you pick up the house, get to cooking and photographing!!!  Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 3326752767  Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 3326752767

196Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:20 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:We had a late lunch at our friends' Gordon & Judith's villa.  They hail from England and had invited us and 3 other couples to come for a traditional English Fish Pie.  And wouldn't you know, I took pics of the prep but failed to touch my phone to take a pic as they came from the oven.  So, pretend the final pics of the potato covered casseroles are lightly browned, one with shredded cheese and one with a bit of butter.....

The fish used:  cod, tuna, salmon & baby shrimp:

The casserole was covered with 'stiff' mashed potato and sprinkled with butter or shredded cheese:

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Fish_p16

Though it looked good once covered with potatoes, Beth, this dish just didn't appeal to me. Something about all that fish in milk, I think.

How was it anyway, as you didn't tell us if you liked it. Was it a hit with all those attending? Just curious as I would have never thought of this kind of dish being a crowd pleaser...

197Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:22 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:This was flying over our house this morning

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Balloon

Really beautiful!

198Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:

Though it looked good once covered with potatoes, Beth, this dish just didn't appeal to me. Something about all that fish in milk, I think.

How was it anyway, as you didn't tell us if you liked it. Was it a hit with all those attending?  Just curious as I would have never thought of this kind of dish being a crowd pleaser...

If you liked fish, especially salmon, I think you'd like it. Unfortunately, for me not being a salmon lover, the salmon taste was what was predominate. It really was much like a Shepherd's or Cottage Pie, but made with fish. I'm sure it's one of those, "you-had-to-grow-up-with-it" dishes, but it was interesting to learn about something that is served by Judith often. She said when she's home she usually uses a smoked cod (not to be found here) and when she poaches it in the milk then the milk picks up the 'smoky' flavor and adds much to the flavor of the sauce to surround the other fish. That made sense to me.

Just like anything else, I'm sure there must be 100 ways to make it and you could certainly customize it to your tastes. I would add some herbs and maybe veg to liven it up a bit.

199Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:34 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:
Crybaby wrote:Though it looked good once covered with potatoes, Beth, this dish just didn't appeal to me. Something about all that fish in milk, I think.

How was it anyway, as you didn't tell us if you liked it. Was it a hit with all those attending?  Just curious as I would have never thought of this kind of dish being a crowd pleaser...

If you liked fish, especially salmon, I think you'd like it.  Unfortunately, for me not being a salmon lover, the salmon taste was what was predominate.  It really was much like a Shepherd's or Cottage Pie, but made with fish.  I'm sure it's one of those, "you-had-to-grow-up-with-it" dishes, but it was interesting to learn about something that is served by Judith often.  She said when she's home she usually uses a smoked cod (not to be found here) and when she poaches it in the milk then the milk picks up the 'smoky' flavor and adds much to the flavor of the sauce to surround the other fish.  That made sense to me.  

Just like anything else, I'm sure there must be 100 ways to make it and you could certainly customize it to your tastes.  I would add some herbs and maybe veg to liven it up a bit.

How'd it go over? Did people clean their plate or did you notice lots left? Heck, I don't even like Shepherd's Pie. My mom never made it while I growing up and the first time I saw it in the high school lunch line, I thought it looked like the dog food we served our German Shepherd -- get it? Shepherd's Pie? Seriously, my mom would mix up some of the leftovers for her and it seemed to be a dead ringer for that once I saw it served on peoples' plates. They only made it about twice so I don't think it was a crowd pleaser either.

I can see the popularlity of regular Shepherd's Pie but even though I really like seafood, this dish just didn't do it for me. I think it was the milk part that got me. I'm really curious about how it went over, as it doesn't seem something you'd cook for a crowd, unless they were from the U.K.

Last edited by Crybaby on Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

200Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 8 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:56 pm

Niagara Visitor

Going to a neighbour's 80th b-day party in a couple of hours.  I volunteered to make chicken wings.  THen someone said that she has celiac disease and I normally dredge my wings in regular wheat flour............ Well, beat me with a wet noodle!  I just did a test of wings using rice flour for 4, and potato starch for 4 more.  They turned out better than using wheat flour, were nice and crisp, didn't stick to the pan as much as the wheat always did.  I don't have much of either rice or potato right now, so I will combine them.  

I may never use wheat again.  My mother was making chicken wings before Buffalo knew that chickens had wings............. I grew up eating wings in the 50's 'cause we were poor and wings were cheap!  LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum