Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.


You are not connected. Please login or register

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 11]

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I had a small mini bagel toasted with egg beaters low cholesterol eggs and cheese sandwich for breakfast.

I was amazed it said ( in web md ) that with COPD one should pace out meals to 6 small ones a day. Over stuffing makes it hard to breath; because the most of the oxygen is used for digestion. Hmmm! Learning a lot lately.

Helps with cravings, too, I think. I admire you for the changes you're making, Jimmy. We all know it's not easy and we're proud of you!  cheers  cheers  cheers

Thank you so much Michelle. Tina is my guardian angel.
She is helping me with all this. My heart aches putting her and others through all this. As it is, I had been having heart, and chest pain for months. Last year this time, I had 2 stents added to my already 2 from 2002. I was getting weaker and weaker; to the point I could not walk more than 30 feet without chest pain and gasping for air to breath.

I held off saying anything especially the week Tina was doing volunteer work at the church for the picnic , fundraiser...... Also my son and DIL were going to Italy for 10 days, and I wanted them to go without worrying about me, and spoiling their plans.....
Well, I couldn't hold on till they left, and they still went knowing I was in good hands.

They had a great time, and are resting today ready for work tomorrow. yuck!

Thanks for all the concern and support from my cooking family of friends.
I had you and everyone in my thoughts all the time I was in critical care,
and getting better. I am just praying to the Lord that I get some relief breathing after seeing the pulmonary Dr on Tuesday.....

Crybaby

avatar
Jimmy, I thought of your son Jimmy last Monday night when the Saints beat the pants off of Washington in the Dome. I figured "little Jimmy" would've been watching the Monday night game except from what you said, I figured he was still in Italy.

It was a super game, plus Drew Brees surpassed Peyton Manning's all-time passing yard record right before the first half ended and it was really a touching celebration that occurred not only on the field with his team but his wife and four kids and Gayle Benson, the team's owner, had just come down onto the field in anticipation of Drew taking the record over. They just made it, too, as 2 plays later, he threw a 62-yard pass and became the new record holder. I don't think there was a dry eye in the Dome and there wasn't one at our house either! He's such a decent guy and has done a lot for N.O., the least of which was even being willing to move here the season after Katrina, when the city was so beat up and the team played every game away from home, too. Brees's current record is 72,103 yards and he not only has the rest of the season but hopefully, another year or two before he retires to add to that yardage!

Sorry "little Jimmy" missed it!

Crybaby

avatar
I hope you get some relief from the pulmonologist, Jimmy. I was so sorry to hear you're having breathing/lung problems. You're still in everyone's prayers so just keep doing your best to get well.

I'm sure everyone in your family forgives you for not telling them how poorly you were feeling. Though there's never a good time to hear someone you love is seriously ill, a untended medical situation just gets worse so finding about it later just ensures hearing even worse news. Plus it's scary as hell for all concerned when someone is hospitalized for something so serious. But you're not "putting anyone through" anything, Jimmy, by being ill or needing help! By your side all the time, especially in tough times, is where everyone who loves you WANTS to be, just as you want to be there for them.

And yes, you're very lucky to have Tina looking after you and the rest of your family, too, Jimmy. We're so glad to have you back around here. I hope you feel a little bit better each and every day!  sunny   king

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Crybaby wrote:I hope you get some relief from the pulmonologist, Jimmy. I was so sorry to hear you're having breathing/lung problems. You're still in everyone's prayers so just keep doing your best to get well.

I'm sure everyone in your family forgives you for not telling them how poorly you were feeling. Though there's never a good time to hear someone you love is seriously ill, a untended medical situation just gets worse so finding about it later just ensures hearing even worse news. Plus it's scary as hell for all concerned when someone is hospitalized for something so serious. But you're not "putting anyone through" anything, Jimmy, by being ill or needing help! By your side all the time, especially in tough times, is where everyone who loves you WANTS to be, just as you want to be there for them.

And yes, you're very lucky to have Tina looking after you and the rest of your family, too, Jimmy. We're so glad to have you back around here. I hope you feel a little bit better each and every day!  sunny   king

You put tears in my eye's that I am not ashamed of. I found a lot of love I had never seen before......

bethk

avatar
Admin
Yeah, Jimmy, good thing you brought back your 'DUMMY' avatar.....

Now that you're on the mend it's time to smack you in the back of the head * * * WHAP !!! * * *

Feel that? (well, I really didn't want to hurt you.....)

There's never a good time to go to the hospital, but it IS easier if it's planned and not a surprise emergency. It's like when Dane went in for his neck artery surgery. Boy, talk about a dummy! I kept referring to it as 'a procedure' because he had never been hospitalized and had always been nervous about the old surgery they did to clean out arteries (where more than 50% ended with a stroke). He got through the surgery none the worse for wear and I was worried but I knew he was in good hands. If he had waited until he stroked out at home before agreeing to go to the hospital I would have gone out of my mind with worry.

So don't let it get so bad that it's an emergency.....Tina will change her schedule for you. Trust me.

You guys are like a 'boxed set'......you're the knife (with your sharp wit) and she's the fork (ready to stick with you).



bethk

avatar
Admin
Hey, Michelle......guess what's for supper ???


NormM

avatar
Our dinner was mussels in wine sauce and shrimp scampi.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
bethk wrote:Yeah, Jimmy, good thing you brought back your 'DUMMY' avatar.....

Now that you're on the mend it's time to smack you in the back of the head * * * WHAP !!! * * *

Feel that?  (well, I really didn't want to hurt you.....)

There's never a good time to go to the hospital, but it IS easier if it's planned and not a surprise emergency.  It's like when Dane went in for his neck artery surgery.  Boy, talk about a dummy!  I kept referring to it as 'a procedure' because he had never been hospitalized and had always been nervous about the old surgery they did to clean out arteries (where more than 50% ended with a stroke).  He got through the surgery none the worse for wear and I was worried but I knew he was in good hands.  If he had waited until he stroked out at home before agreeing to go to the hospital I would have gone out of my mind with worry.

So don't let it get so bad that it's an emergency.....Tina will change her schedule for you.  Trust me.

You guys are like a 'boxed set'......you're the knife (with your sharp wit) and she's the fork (ready to stick with you).




I deserve the slap and the stick of the fork. Yep!
Like Dane, I hate running to the Dr or hospital for every pain or such! Like a month ago, I had a nasty chest cold. Sore throat, and hard to breath. I had it for 2 weeks. Took tea with lemon; chicken soup, and over the counter cough and cold medicine. It went away, but I think it was a preload to the heart pains and breathing difficulty, and put me in the hospital. Rolling Eyes No

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
NormM wrote:Our dinner was mussels in wine sauce and shrimp scampi.

Muscles are my favorite .... Shrimp too! Scallops, by far the ultimate!
Looks good Norm!

I usually eat bread with mine, and use it to sop up the juices. Haaaaa
Now, I will have to resort to eating unsalted crackers, or a low carb bread! My Maria bought a white Italian high density bread that was low carb and low sodium. It was great. The only thing, is in my opinion, for me, it is very filling.

Supper tonight, was a low sodium Thumanns brand ham; with baby swiss cheese, with a light coating of mayonnaise.
I had two mini biscotti with a decaf coffee.

bethk

avatar
Admin
Jimmy, Dane, too, has COPD. When he retired and moved here to Florida he put on about 35 pounds the first year because he didn't move out of his chair. Now, I realize he wanted to 'de-compress' and adjust to not working but he took it a bit further than I ever expected from someone who never stopped.

When his breathing got really difficult and he was using his 'rescue' inhaler on a regular basis he had gone to his Doc for a check-up and was told if he lost the weight it would relieve the stress and his breathing would come easier. So, that's when he went on that crazy diet, asking me questions every meal about portion size and calorie count (boy, THAT got old in a hurry!).

He finally figured out how to calculate his calorie intake on his own (thank goodness) and does a really good job of monitoring his diet. Yes, we've eliminated most 'white' foods (potatoes, rice, bread) and we never did have much in the way of processed foods. He lost over 45 pounds and for a while looked too thin to me. But his weight has averaged out and he really has noticed a much easier time breathing. The only time I've seen him use his rescue inhaler in the last two years was twice when we were in Ohio and the humidity was like 180%....even I was having difficulty catching my breath and I don't even have a problem!

It's amazing how much more he can do without the added weight causing pressure on his lungs. His Docs couldn't be more pleased with his ability to exercise and just move around.

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
bethk wrote:Jimmy, Dane, too, has COPD.  When he retired and moved here to Florida he put on about 35 pounds the first year because he didn't move out of his chair.  Now, I realize he wanted to 'de-compress' and adjust to not working but he took it a bit further than I ever expected from someone who never stopped.

When his breathing got really difficult and he was using his 'rescue' inhaler on a regular basis he had gone to his Doc for a check-up and was told if he lost the weight it would relieve the stress and his breathing would come easier.  So, that's when he went on that crazy diet, asking me questions every meal about portion size and calorie count (boy, THAT got old in a hurry!).

He finally figured out how to calculate his calorie intake on his own (thank goodness) and does a really good job of monitoring his diet.  Yes, we've eliminated most 'white' foods (potatoes, rice, bread) and we never did have much in the way of processed foods.  He lost over 45 pounds and for a while looked too thin to me.  But his weight has averaged out and he really has noticed a much easier time breathing.  The only time I've seen him use his rescue inhaler in the last two years was twice when we were in Ohio and the humidity was like 180%....even I was having difficulty catching my breath and I don't even have a problem!

It's amazing how much more he can do without the added weight causing pressure on his lungs.  His Docs couldn't be more pleased with his ability to exercise and just move around.  

Good info Beth. Great lesson here!
I was 265 lbs on a 6 ft frame two months ago, and now at 238 lbs after my diet adjustments.

Crybaby

avatar
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Crybaby wrote:I hope you get some relief from the pulmonologist, Jimmy. I was so sorry to hear you're having breathing/lung problems. You're still in everyone's prayers so just keep doing your best to get well.

I'm sure everyone in your family forgives you for not telling them how poorly you were feeling. Though there's never a good time to hear someone you love is seriously ill, a untended medical situation just gets worse so finding about it later just ensures hearing even worse news. Plus it's scary as hell for all concerned when someone is hospitalized for something so serious. But you're not "putting anyone through" anything, Jimmy, by being ill or needing help! By your side all the time, especially in tough times, is where everyone who loves you WANTS to be, just as you want to be there for them.

And yes, you're very lucky to have Tina looking after you and the rest of your family, too, Jimmy. We're so glad to have you back around here. I hope you feel a little bit better each and every day!  sunny   king

You put tears in my eye's that I am not ashamed of. I found a lot of love I had never seen before......



Now YOU made ME cry, Jimmy!

And kudos to you for already being down to 238, too. You're well on your way to getting better and feeling better.  

Crybaby

avatar
bethk wrote:Hey, Michelle......guess what's for supper ???





And it tastes as good as it looks, too!

Crybaby

avatar
Since you're watching your salt intake, Jimmy, why don't you get Tina to pick you up a bottle of this stuff, Citrus A'peel.  It's made by Simply Organic and contains Organic Sesame Seed, Organic Orange Peel, Organic Lemon Peel, Organic Garlic, Organic Onion, Organic Parsley, Organic Coriander, Organic Fennel Seed.







We use it at the table for flavor but it's also good when used in lieu of salt. You can use it while cooking, too, but I don't notice its flavor when used while cooking. But grated on top of your food (it's got an adjustable grinder cap, too), it really will help if you're craving some salt.

It's good on salads, chicken, pork, fish, eggs -- it really enhances everything we've tried it on, though it's not a very strong flavor. I get it from Amazon (we get a couple of jars at a time) but other places have it a lot cheaper. I've never seen it in the supermarket, though, but in a big market like yours, it may very well be carried.

bethk

avatar
Admin
Michelle, I don't think Jimmy or Tina can eat stuff with seeds.....

although, if Jimmy pried the top off and sorted through to remove the sesame seeds, fennel seeds and coriander seeds to toss, by the time he got done next week he'll probably have lost another 2 pounds....

What'cha think, Jimmy? You could just sit in your chair and sort and sort and sort.....

sounds like fun, huh?


Hahahahahahaha!

Crybaby

avatar
I never thought about butterflying a turkey but now am considering doing it soon, as we love turkey. I love the suggestion to lift the turkey
off the bottom of the pan if you have a V-rack that, when inverted, still fits in your roasting pan, to just put the butterflied turkey on top of that!

Butterflied Turkey with Cranberry-Molasses Glaze
Makes 10 to 12 servings. Cook's Illustrated, Nov. 2010
See Why This Recipe Works, Fashioning a Makeshift Roasting Rack,
How to Butterfly a Turkey,
and Secrets to Perfect Glazed Turkey (at bottom)

Turkey:
12- to 14-pound turkey, giblets and neck removed and reserved for
another use
2 Tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons kosher salt (see Headnote)
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 large onions, peeled and halved
Glaze:
3 cups apple cider
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
1/2 cup light or mild molasses
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 Tablespoon grated fresh ginger
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter

Headnote: Table salt is not recommended for this recipe because it’s too fine.
If you have a V-rack that, when inverted, still fits into your roasting pan, place the turkey on that rather than on the onions.

1. For the Turkey: Following illustrations in step by step below, butterfly turkey. Using fingers or handle of wooden spoon, carefully separate skin from thighs and breast. Using skewer, poke 15 to 20 holes in fat deposits on breast halves and thighs. Rub bone side of turkey evenly with 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Flip turkey skin side up and rub 1 Tablespoon salt evenly under skin. Tuck wings under turkey. Push legs up to rest on lower portion of breast and tie legs together with kitchen twine. Combine remaining Tablespoon salt, remaining teaspoon pepper, and baking powder in small bowl. Pat skin side of turkey dry with paper towels. Sprinkle surface of turkey with baking powder mixture and rub in mixture with hands, coating skin evenly. Transfer turkey to large roasting pan, skin side up. Place 1 onion half under each breast and thigh to elevate turkey off bottom of roasting pan. Allow turkey to stand at room temperature 1 hour.
2. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 275°F. Roast turkey until instant-read thermometer registers 160°F when inserted in thickest part of breast and 170°F to 175°F in thickest part of thigh, 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Remove roasting pan from oven and allow turkey to rest in pan for at least 30 minutes or up to 1-1/2 hours. Thirty minutes before returning turkey to oven, increase oven temperature to 450°F.
3. For the Glaze: While turkey rests, bring cider, cranberries, molasses, vinegar, mustard, and ginger to boil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced to 1-1/2 cups, about 30 minutes. Strain mixture through fine-mesh strainer into 2-cup liquid measuring cup, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard solids (you should have about 1-1/4 cups glaze). Transfer 1/2 cup glaze to small saucepan and set aside.
4. Brush turkey with one-third of glaze in measuring cup, transfer to oven, and roast 7 minutes. Brush on half of remaining glaze in measuring cup and roast additional 7 minutes. Brush on remaining glaze in measuring cup and roast until skin is evenly browned and crispy, 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer turkey to cutting board and let rest 20 minutes.
5. While turkey rests, remove onions from roasting pan and discard. Strain liquid from pan through fine-mesh strainer into fat separator (you should have about 2 cups liquid). Allow liquid to settle 5 minutes, then pour into saucepan with reserved glaze, discarding any remaining fat. Bring mixture to boil over medium-high heat and cook until slightly syrupy, about 10 minutes. Remove pan from heat and whisk in butter. Carve turkey and serve, passing sauce separately.

Why This Recipe Works
We crisped the skin in our butterflied turkey recipe by poking holes in the bird’s fat deposits and promoted browning by rubbing salt and baking powder over the skin. We seasoned the turkey's meat with salt and then air-dried the bird for 1 hour. Roasting the turkey in a low oven, with a blast of high heat at the very end, gave the turkey evenly cooked meat and a nicely browned exterior. Molasses, which we thinned with apple cider and cider vinegar and thickened with cranberries, served as a flavorful glaze. Finally, butterflying the turkey gave us an even plane to which the glaze stayed adhered.

Fashioning a Makeshift Roasting Rack
Our butterflied turkey fits in a large roasting pan but needs to be elevated to brown properly. You can easily raise it by placing 4 onion halves cut side down in the pan.
Place 1 onion half under each breast and thigh to elevate the turkey off the bottom of the pan.

How To Butterfly a Turkey
1. Using kitchen shears, cut through the bones on either side of the backbone, staying as close as possible to the backbone, then remove and discard it.
2. Flip the turkey over and press down firmly with the heels of your hands to flatten the breastbone.

Secrets to Perfect Glazed Turkey
1. STAB FAT: Poking holes in fatty deposits speeds up fat-rendering, leading to crispier skin.
2. SEASON: Spreading salt and pepper under the skin on bone side seasons meat through and through.
3. DRY RUB: A mixture of baking powder, salt, and pepper rubbed on skin before roasting encourages browning and aids goal of dehydrating it.
4. AIR DRY: Resting turkey at room temperature an hour before roasting lets salting do its job on meat and further wicks away moisture from skin.
5. ROAST LOW AND SLOW: Cooking bird at 275°F creates moist, tender meat and allows maximum fat to render from skin.
6. WAIT TO GLAZE: Waiting to apply glaze (3 coats) until turkey is fully cooked allows skin to crisp up first. Cranking heat to 450°F thickens and concentrates glaze.

Crybaby

avatar
bethk wrote:Michelle, I don't think Jimmy or Tina can eat stuff with seeds.....

although, if Jimmy pried the top off and sorted through to remove the sesame seeds, fennel seeds and coriander seeds to toss, by the time he got done next week he'll probably have lost another 2 pounds....

What'cha think, Jimmy?  You could just sit in your chair and sort and sort and sort.....

sounds like fun, huh?


Hahahahahahaha!


I didn't know that. But he could always grind it up fine in the spice grinder -- it's that good!

bethk

avatar
Admin
I was just trying to come up with an activity Jimmy could do while healing up ~ something to keep his mind busy (or drive him crazy ~ whatever!)

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Crybaby wrote:Since you're watching your salt intake, Jimmy, why don't you get Tina to pick you up a bottle of this stuff, Citrus A'peel.  It's made by Simply Organic and contains Organic Sesame Seed, Organic Orange Peel, Organic Lemon Peel, Organic Garlic, Organic Onion, Organic Parsley, Organic Coriander, Organic Fennel Seed.







We use it at the table for flavor but it's also good when used in lieu of salt. You can use it while cooking, too, but I don't notice its flavor when used while cooking. But grated on top of your food (it's got an adjustable grinder cap, too), it really will help if you're craving some salt.

It's good on salads, chicken, pork, fish, eggs -- it really enhances everything we've tried it on, though it's not a very strong flavor. I get it from Amazon (we get a couple of jars at a time) but other places have it a lot cheaper. I've never seen it in the supermarket, though, but in a big market like yours, it may very well be carried.

We do have some of this seasoning. I like the lemon and lime granules too. Mrs dash is pretty good. The original one only!

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Crybaby wrote:
bethk wrote:Michelle, I don't think Jimmy or Tina can eat stuff with seeds.....

although, if Jimmy pried the top off and sorted through to remove the sesame seeds, fennel seeds and coriander seeds to toss, by the time he got done next week he'll probably have lost another 2 pounds....

What'cha think, Jimmy?  You could just sit in your chair and sort and sort and sort.....

sounds like fun, huh?


Hahahahahahaha!


I didn't know that. But he could always grind it up fine in the spice grinder -- it's that good!

I could take the seasoning to the zoo, and let the monkeys pick pick pick out the seeds. Then they eat the seeds, and the next day, the monkeys can pick the seeds from each others coolies...... yuck!

bethk

avatar
Admin
I'm cleaning out the refrigerator for supper....we're leaving tomorrow for Hilton for a few days. Had to use up some boiled eggs (macaroni salad), had a head of butter lettuce (wilted lettuce salad), cleaned the last of the green beans and I've got a marinated flank steak on the grill.

I had a couple of the red beets cooked in the refrigerator that I knew needed to be used ~ but they were too much for a meal. So I sliced 'em up and stuffed them in a couple jars with sliced onion and poured some boiling vinegar-water-sugar syrup over (a cinnamon stick and a couple whole cloves in each jar) to get pickled beets started. They should be just about right by Thanksgiving.

bethk

avatar
Admin
Supper:


bethk

avatar
Admin
Michelle, I've done a spatchcocked turkey on the grill before. If I remember correctly (it was a long time ago) I put it in one of the disposable foil pans on indirect heat for quite a while but did the crisping of the skin over the heat.

It didn't require much in the way of tending.....just cooked away and left my oven in the house open to bake everything else.

Niagara Visitor


I made stuffed peppers again today.  4 for my son and DIL, 2 for me.  Michael and Amy work long hours, they love what I cook, so I do some of their favourites.  I had  family Thanksgiving dinner last week, Amy brought back 5 different containers which were originally filled with food.................... "Please note, they are empty".  Does a mom's heart feel good!

bethk

avatar
Admin
We got to Hilton Head Island about 4:00 this afternoon. Got checked into the condo (so nice to have friends to share their 'timeshare ' with us. - maybe it's named that for a reason!). We just got back from dinner. I had grouper, served with a southern creamed corn and grits and Dane had a huge filet with mashed and green beans. Plates were empty and now we're in for the night.

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum