Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.


You are not connected. Please login or register

SEPTEMBER, 2018 ~ What's for dinner / supper???

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 7]

bethk

avatar
Admin
I think the key, MAJOR key, to NO BBQ Shrimp are the fresh from the water shrimp.

It kills me that I can't get fresh product here.....the only real seafood market we have close by is so terrribly expensive ~ and I think all their seafood is flown in from Key West. I would bet it's all been frozen prior to sale, not to say that's horrible if the quality is there in the first place, but I just can't justify paying $15 / lb. or better for average sized shrimps.

Tonight I made breaded chicken cutlets, boiled potatoes and red beets. I like my chicken dipped in a bit of sweet chili sauce.....


Crybaby

avatar
Beth wrote:And, yes, Michelle.....flying up to Indy on Wednesday and then will spend a couple more weeks at the house before flying home the 3rd of October. Fingers crossed there are no glitches and everything goes smoothly (still praying Robin & Ben get the garage emptied......((sigh))



Have a safe trip, Beth. I'm sure all will go well, even re the garage!


Norm, it's nice seeing you again!

Crybaby

avatar
NormM wrote:Tomorrow I am making a Shrimp Creole recipe that came from Emeril when he was still at Commanders. I was going to make it today but the time got away from me. I was waiting for a delivery from UPS.  

I ate one, just one,  shrimp including the shell the other day and Charlie wanted to know if it was OK to do that. I said I am sure some people eat the shell.. I. bet. Forrest. Gump. eats. the. shells.   He laughed.

I'll check out your blog, Norm, unless you publish the recipe here, as I'm curious to read Emeril's recipe. Between Paul Prudhomme and Emeril, Commander's Palace really became the restaurant it is today. Besides the delicious food and superb service, it's a really pretty place especially if you ask to sit in the Garden Room, which is upstairs, primarily glass walls, and all the trees outside make it seem as if you're in a treehouse! You have to walk through the kitchen to get to the bar, the patio (open for drinks all the time but open for dinner only when it's cooler and less humid, usually late October, early November and April), and the Patio Room (my second choice for seating).



I've eaten the peels on very tiny shrimp before, as often when they're serve in a dish, the occasional one with peels on slips through. I don't know how Fitzmorris eats them on larger shrimp, though, as IMO it would definitely lead to my not enjoying the nice taste of the shrimp.

Gotta say, Norm, that Charlies is one lucky man to benefit from all the meals you make on a regular basis -- and serve so beautifully, too! I have to ask if you've ever been to New Orleans, as I know you would appreciate every single food purveyor here, from holes in the wall to the best we have to offer.



Last edited by Crybaby on Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Crybaby

avatar
bethk wrote:I think the key, MAJOR key, to NO BBQ Shrimp are the fresh from the water shrimp.

It kills me that I can't get fresh product here.....the only real seafood market we have close by is so terrribly expensive ~ and I think all their seafood is flown in from Key West.  I would bet it's all been frozen prior to sale, not to say that's horrible if the quality is there in the first place, but I just can't justify paying $15 / lb. or better for average sized shrimps.

As I've often said, it boggles my mind given your location that someone doesn't offer Gulf seafood! Any day of the week one can head to any large grocery and get 12-16 per lb. fresh shrimp, laying on ice in the store, for $4.99 or $5.99/lb. Even the frozen shrimp sold in a multitude of sizes, peeled and deveined, are good as they're usually flash-frozen and suitable for most dishes -- the various sizes serve one well, too, depending on the dish you're making. And fresh crabs are usually at the grocery, too, especially if they're "running" well. Otherwise, it'll just take a trip to one of the many places selling fresh seafood.

Another good thing about shrimp you have to peel is at least they're easy to peel, especially when cooked! I often feel sorry for people visiting when they love shrimp and pass up the BBQ shrimp because they have to peel them. They're really THAT good!

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Hi all.... We are both diseased. Jimmy disease is lung and cough. Coming to an end soon I hope..... that's for me.

Tina has Vertigo . She is on Prednisone and Dr thinks she may have a traveling virus. Then, next week, they do a vertigo test using a video monitor. The test is one hour long.
I have to google this test now.

DD is here; cleaning and doing all chores....garbage....poopy boxes.... water jug replacement...etc.

Crybaby

avatar
I've asked this before but am going to ask again: What is your favorite cookbook of all time? I'm thinking about getting a new cookbook (I usually buy them used on Amazon in Very Good condition). I'm thinking of getting the two-volume Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I'm also considering one by Jacques Pepin, Rick Bayless and Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan. Since I don't own a Paul Prudhomme cookbook, I'm considering one of his, also.

Please tell me one or more of your favorites and also feel free to comment on any of the above if you have them, too.

I think my favorite all-time cookbook is The New Basics by Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins, the same two who wrote The Silver Palate. I have the latter too but The New Basics is bigger and I love the style of it -- with little sidebars throughout with interesting tips, facts, etc. Has a lot of recipes, too, and the print/style is really good, too!

While you're at it, what would you eat for your last meal? Let's get some talking going on around here!



Last edited by Crybaby on Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Crybaby

avatar
Sorry you two are under the weather, Jimmy! Send DD over here when she's done helping, will you?

Brian has been sick on and off since last week (nausea, some vomiting, no fever but the sweats) but he's feeling better today.

Crybaby

avatar
Just curious, Beth. When you make lima beans, are you using fresh, frozen or canned? We use a local canned brand that is delicious (Trappey's with bacon but we add more bacon, of course!) but I also make a big pot of fresh occasionally if I have a ham shank or a leftover ham bone. Of all the dried beans I make, I think lima beans with a ham shank, bacon or tasso are Brian's favorites.


Crybaby

avatar
Am meeting with a licensed agent tomorrow at home in re my Medicare choices (I turn 65 this month). It's difficult to know what to do considering the cost of my I.V. meds (the medicine fluctuates from $250k to $450k A YEAR depending on the time of year). Natch, I'm trying to avoid paying 20% of that each year, even if it means maintaining my $1000/month insurance policy.

From the research I've done on my own, I am pretty resigned to having to keep my current policy, though it would be heaven not to shell that amount out every month (and they go up on it almost every June). I am going to get a supplemental Medicare hospitalization policy as well; even though other than the PH I'm pretty healthy, if I do need hospitalization down the line, I am tied to the one hospital, Ochsner, due my being on life-sustaining medication. So I figure I'd best prepare for that. Wish we would've bought one for Brian when he first signed up as they HAVE to accept you then!

NormM

avatar
The only time I was in New Orleans, I was too young to remember much. I remember the slats in the door at our room at the hotel. It was before air conditioning and you could close the outer door for privacy and still have air circulation and I remember a steam boat that seemed to be a hundred feet tall.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Niagara Visitor


Crybaby wrote:I've asked this before but am going to ask again: What is your favorite cookbook of all time? I'm thinking about getting a new cookbook (I usually buy them used on Amazon in Very Good condition). I'm thinking of getting the two-volume Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I'm also considering one by Jacques Pepin, Rick Bayless and Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan. Since I don't own a Paul Prudhomme cookbook, I'm considering one of his, also.

Please tell me one or more of your favorites and also feel free to comment on any of the above if you have them, too.

I think my favorite all-time cookbook is The New Basics by Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins, the same two who wrote The Silver Palate. I have the latter too but The New Basics is bigger and I love the style of it -- with little sidebars throughout with interesting tips, facts, etc. Has a lot of recipes, too, and the print/style is really good, too!

While you're at it, what would you eat for your last meal? Let's get some talking going on around here!

Asking me what is my favourite cookbook is like asking me about my favourite child.  I love them all.................... some days I love one better than the others.  For very basic cooking I go to My "America Cooks" a compilation of recipes of the Federation of Women's clubs; when I want to impress someone who loves seafood, I go to my Paul Prudhomme book; Or to my Julee Rosso..................... or, or, or.  

My last meal??? A medium rare T-Bone steak, grilled so that the fat strip gets crispy; fried mushrooms, baked potato with just butter and salt on it.  Horseradish on the steak.

bethk

avatar
Admin
Cookbooks with stories.....like my man, Jacques ~ love reading about his history. But if you ask which one I've used the most it would have to be my Red plaid Better Homes & Gardens loose leaf cookbook. I got it for a bridal shower present and have used it for reference for 50 years.

A last meal??? Hmmmmm ~ OK, probably crispy Fried Mush with butter & syrup and some perfectly broiled side pork (now days called pork belly) ~ and I'd eat it until I exploded! LOL

or maybe I'd head back up to the coast of Maine and have lobsters and steamer clams.....

or, wait, a perfectly cooked medium rare prime rib of beef with a twice baked potato casserole and Brussels sprouts with bacon & shallots.....

but if tonight's meal ends up being my last, that's OK, too ~


Bugster2

avatar
I taught myself to cook using Julia Child's book's. Some recipes I couldn't make because the ingredients were too expensive and some recipes had ingredients that I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. It was a good learning experience but I eventually gave the set away. It isn't an everyday cookbook.

We have to pick out a Medicare plan too. I don't think we any choice but to go with Kaiser. Can't afford a supplimental plan or prescriptions so it is an HMO. All I hope for is that they don't kill us or let us die from neglect like our current healthplan does. We really need to talk to someone but I don't know who to ask. I know my ex-neighbor has Kaiser and got two knee replacements and meds. They did a good job. I thought Niagra had it good - and she does but not everyone in Canada does. My nephew is now seeing patients in a hospital in FLA and he says that half the people in there come from Canada because they can't get healthcare. One guy had to wait 6 months for an MRI. What my nephew says that good healthcare in Canada depends upon where you live. IDK. That is what he tells me.

NormM

avatar
I made Shrimp Creole for dinner tonight. Had it with rice. I learned to cook with the James Beard Cookbook and by watching Julia Child on TV. I have medicare with AARP.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

avatar
We will check out AARP. Thanks Norm.

Bugster2

avatar
Baked penne for dinner with garlic cheese bread. A reflux special.

I wanted a back rest pillow for my bed. I gave one of those rests with the arms a try and found it too hard. Same with a foam wedge pillow - too hard. Then I saw that there is a wedge made of feathers and a tiny bit of down. That might be a good choice but then I remembered that feathers poke through and prick and they are kind of noisy. No one makes a down one. Then I got an idea. I have an oversized Cal king down comforter sitting in a bag. It is too big for all of our beds. I ordered (I could have made one) a wedge cover in the dimensions I want and I am going to roll up the comforter and shove it inside the cover and rearrange it so it fills up the cover. I think I might have found what I want - soft but has support and no feathers to prick you. I'll see how it turns out.

Yesterday morning about 6:30 AM there was a huge yellow hot air balloon by the house (did I already tell you?). It is such a treat to see one.

Yesterday it was 88 F. This morning it was 48 F and then climbed to a pleasant 83.

I hope any of you in the way of that category 5 hurricane/storm have headed for safety. It isn't worth sticking around in your home.

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Bugster2 wrote:Baked penne for dinner with garlic cheese bread. A reflux special.

I wanted a back rest pillow for my bed. I gave one of those rests with the arms a try and found it too hard. Same with a foam wedge pillow - too hard. Then I saw that there is a wedge made of feathers and a tiny bit of down. That might be a good choice but then I remembered that feathers poke through and prick and they are kind of noisy. No one makes a down one. Then I got an idea. I have an oversized Cal king down comforter sitting in a bag. It is too big for all of our beds. I ordered (I could have made one) a wedge cover in the dimensions I want and I am going to roll up the comforter and shove it inside the cover and rearrange it so it fills up the cover. I think I might have found what I want - soft but has support and no feathers to prick you. I'll see how it turns out.

Yesterday morning about 6:30 AM there was a huge yellow hot air balloon by the house (did I already tell you?). It is such a treat to see one.

Yesterday it was 88 F. This morning it was 48 F and then climbed to a pleasant 83.

I hope any of you in the way of that category 5 hurricane/storm have headed for safety. It isn't worth sticking around in your home.

Did you try, "My Pillow dot Com" ...... ???
I am so sick of that ad on tv.

No big deal with the hurricane where we live. Closer to Pennsylvania side.Still.... streets can flood at low spots sometimes.

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Well... If we go to New Orleans, we can maybe get some "Cooke Zebra!"
I am watching the escaped Z's on the News Channel.
Beef vegetable soup tonight. Tina was up at 2:30 am today; putting it together.
The Prednisone keeps her awake!...

bethk

avatar
Admin
Oh, man, beef vegetable soup sounds delicious ~ but NOT if I have to get up in the wee hours of the morning to start it! Hopefully you will both be back to your normal, healthy selves in no time.

************

In answer to your question, Michelle, I always use frozen lima beans. Not a fan of many canned vegetables at all, sure it's a texture thing. Dane prefers the baby limas and I usually just cook them enough to soften a bit, leaving them a bit al dente.

************

Medicare choices abound.....but any insurance agent can give you all the information you need and will explain it fully. I have Medicare, the prescription plan and a suppliment that covers everything ~ for around $200/month (it's an "F" Plan, I think). The nice thing is they have to accept you if you sign up when you first become eligible without any pre-existing condition penalties. If you change plans after you first sign up then the pre-existing can come into effect and can cause problems.

Dane has dual coverage with the VA as a primary care and also with an Advantage Plan which is where they accept your Medicare and manage your care for a $0 cost but it does have a small amount due for Dr. visits and hospitalizations, etc.

Personally, I think you do better having an insurance agent come to your home to answer all questions and to fully explain the plans available. And the good thing is there is no price difference between agents, that's all set up so you don't pay more to one agent vs: another. The plans may differ, but the agents all get the same percentage for signing you up.

Bugster2

avatar
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:Baked penne for dinner with garlic cheese bread. A reflux special.

I wanted a back rest pillow for my bed. I gave one of those rests with the arms a try and found it too hard. Same with a foam wedge pillow - too hard. Then I saw that there is a wedge made of feathers and a tiny bit of down. That might be a good choice but then I remembered that feathers poke through and prick and they are kind of noisy. No one makes a down one. Then I got an idea. I have an oversized Cal king down comforter sitting in a bag. It is too big for all of our beds. I ordered (I could have made one) a wedge cover in the dimensions I want and I am going to roll up the comforter and shove it inside the cover and rearrange it so it fills up the cover. I think I might have found what I want - soft but has support and no feathers to prick you. I'll see how it turns out.

Yesterday morning about 6:30 AM there was a huge yellow hot air balloon by the house (did I already tell you?). It is such a treat to see one.

Yesterday it was 88 F. This morning it was 48 F and then climbed to a pleasant 83.

I hope any of you in the way of that category 5 hurricane/storm have headed for safety. It isn't worth sticking around in your home.

Did you try, "My Pillow dot Com" ...... ???
I am so sick of that ad on tv.

No big deal with the hurricane where we live. Closer to Pennsylvania side.Still.... streets can flood at low spots sometimes.


I have felt one of those pillows. It feelslike a bunch of lumpy foam. Not my kind of pillow.

Niagara Visitor


Bugster2 wrote:I taught myself to cook using Julia Child's book's. Some recipes I couldn't make because the ingredients were too expensive and some recipes had ingredients that I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. It was a good learning experience but I eventually gave the set away. It isn't an everyday cookbook.

We have to pick out a Medicare plan too. I don't think we any choice but to go with Kaiser. Can't afford a supplimental plan or prescriptions so it is an HMO. All I hope for is that they don't kill us or let us die from neglect like our current healthplan does. We really need to talk to someone but I don't know who to ask. I know my ex-neighbor has Kaiser and got two knee replacements and meds. They did a good job. I thought Niagra had it good - and she does but not everyone in Canada does. My nephew is now seeing patients in a hospital in FLA and he says that half the people in there come from Canada because they can't get healthcare. One guy had to wait 6 months for an MRI. What my nephew says that good healthcare in Canada depends upon where you live. IDK. That is what he tells me.
 This is a cooking site, so I'll try to keep this really short.  Yes, to some degree that is correct that the care you get in Canada does depend on where you live.  If you live in a major centre there are lots of places where you can be referred.  However, waiting 6 months for an MRI is in all likelyhood because the situation is not an emergency.  I am pretty certain that the health care that is available in various areas of the US can be very different.  Get sick in New York, or get sick in a remote village in Alaka, the Appalacians, or in a swamp in Louisiana and the expected care can be very different.  The difference between our system and yours is $$$$$$ My sister is going through her third round of battling breast cancer............... She has had scans, MRI's, medications etc., etc. all of which has not cost her anything out of pocket.............. Well, I have to pay for the parking at the hospitals.

I agree that there is fabulous medical care available in the US....................$$$$ talks. I think that most of those Canadians who are getting medical care in the US are either able to pay out of pocket, or not willing to wait as our system is based on triage or both............ Here, those who need it most, get it first. Like my sister.

P.S.  Went out for lunch, so my dinner is a salad with some lovely shrimp on top.

Bugster2

avatar
I have just spent 2 hours on the phone with my cable company. Got transferred 5 times and finally got disconnected. The rep didn't call back. I am trying to get a refund on an item that was returned because we were told it would do something which it couldn't. I just put in a dispute with my credit card company for the amount. I have never encountered such gross incompetence with a company.

I am making a copycat shrimp scampi recipe tonight for Joe and Katie. I will have last night's leftovers. Don't eat shrimp.

cookingirl

avatar
Is anyone on line.. or is there no posting because of Florence?? I am concerned about people when I do not see any posts for a couple of days....

Hope everyone is well.. even though I do not post, I still feel as if this is my 'family'...

everyone be safe...

on my way to the local central fire department to donate a huge bag of clothes to the poor people up in Lawrence, who had to endure the gas explosions, fires, and evacuations...

If they stopped taking donations, I am going up to the Salvation Army..

Having renovations to my apartment on Monday, so my place is a huge mess..

Not my doing, but of management... sigh... cleaning out the kitchen--completely bare, as is the 2 bathroom vanities, dining room table moved, everything else covered in plastic drop cloths with blue tape, hold them to walls...

I am the queen of the blue tape!!

only hope I can stay here for the night.. It will take at least 2 weeks for everything to be done.. the worst is the cabinets.. then the appliances, then the plumber, then the electrician, then the painters...

It better be done before October 1.... that is when I am having dental surgery!!

I have been slowly moving things into the spare room for a month.. I am sick of it...

I have to be out of the house by 7 AM!!!!!!!!! and not back until 2pm.... OMG....

So glad my friend is giving me a key to her apartment, so I can crash there, during the day, and sleep on her sofa bed, if needed.. sigh..

What we were told would be a 6 day full reno; has turned into a weeks long reno.... wrong people in charge... just about useless...

If I had known, I would not have agreed to it.... but.. My rent went up incredibly, and I feel that if I do nt volunteer now, when the weather is fairly good, then I will be mandated to have it done during the winter.... contracts are never open ended... and this management Stinks... I do not trust them at all...

I am hoping to move next year, but where, I do not know... I cannot afford this place any longer...
however, due to the building boom around here, and the casinos opening.. all the rents have gone sky high.. I do not know how they expect people to live...

I can just see myself, living out of my car... sigh.. or in a run down, rat, roach infested slum apartment.... sigh

ok-- break is over...
gotta jump in shower...

NormM

avatar
I am here. In Kansas City. Florence isn't. One of the reasons I left Junction City was because city management allowed a building boom and gave tax cuts. The Army said they were moving in thousands of new soldiers, and that meant more people who were family and support. Then after hundreds of houses were built and whole new neighborhoods created, nothing happened. The taxes went up and I didn't like where things were going. Of course Charlie and Cassie wanting to move and being there willing to help move made a difference too. I was glad to be back in my home town. When we moved, the area was just about to come out of a real estate bust and prices were only about to start recovering. The house I bought cost 140K. Now 6 years later, it is estimated around 240K and taxes have gone up again. My mortgage payment is up over 70$ a month. I am wondering if I can afford to stay in this neighborhood much longer.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Jimmy & Tina still here in spirit.
Tina is light headed.....she just came off a heavy dosing of Prednisone.
Dr looking to see if she has a traveling Virus causing her vertigo.
Tuesday, she goes for a test in front of a tv monitor.
I'm still trying to shake off this bronchial thing.
No big cooking. No appetites.

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum