Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

SEPTEMBER, 2018 ~ What's for dinner / supper???

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 7]

Crybaby

Beth, I'm glad the walk through went well and she agreed to letting you leave the furniture you still had there. Enjoy your remaining time there as I guess it will be a while before you two head back for a visit. I know you're looking forward to having it all behind you, too.

I hope you're at least getting some cool weather while you're there as it's still hot as blazes down here, though not as bad as it has been. I'd kill for a day in the 70s with no humidity!

NormM

I made turkey pot pie with ground turkey today

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

Roast Beef on a roll with mayo. Macaroni salad, and liverwurst for Tina.
She picked up 6 pork ribs bbq'd with dry rub.

UNCLE JIMMY

Tuesday.... another Dr. Day for Tina. The vertigo is from some kind of crystals in the left ear canal. She has to go for therapy???? Never heard of it. Have to google this.Supper tonight, will be spaghetti with meat sauce. Salad greens and Italian bread. Son jimmy and wife are coming over after work.
DD made 2 pumpkin pies, and a batch of vanilla cupcakes.

NormM

I got a new cookbook about Korean BBQ and tried a recipe from it.

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I got a new cookbook about Korean BBQ and tried a recipe from it.

Well, smack my chops. That surely looks so good Norm.

NormM

Thanks Jimmy.

Niagara Visitor

NormM wrote:I made turkey pot pie with ground turkey today

I thought a pot pie was actually a pie???

bethk

Admin
Jimmy, my sister-in-law occasionally has to go for vertigo therapy. She lays on a table and they turn her different ways until the crystals settle back where they should be. I only had it once but I was down for over 3 weeks. No fun at all.

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Jimmy, my sister-in-law occasionally has to go for vertigo therapy. She lays on a table and they turn her different ways until the crystals settle back where they should be. I only had it once but I was down for over 3 weeks. No fun at all.

Oh thanks for the heads up Beth. That is what the Dr. said. He gave her a list of clinics, and the majority of them were in the eastern. or southern cities or far away area's. That is heck to travel. Luckily, She called the Hospital in town, and they do Vestibular treatment. "Great".....1.5 miles away!
Oh! and listen to this. The Dr apologised for giving her Prednisone steroid drug. She told him, she is ready to kill someone; that she is so itchy and irritated. From the private places. She is really suffering. He said,"Oh, that's what happens if you are allergic to the drug!"
Now the poor thing has to see an OBGYN ... I feel so sorry for her.

BTW, on way home from the Dr. she stopped at a Whole Foods, for the first time ever. She said Never again. The prices of everything are so high. i.e. $7.79 for a lb. of butter. $11.00 for a gallon of regular whole milk. Wow..eeee!

NormM

Niagara Visitor wrote:
NormM wrote:I made turkey pot pie with ground turkey today

I thought a pot pie was actually a pie???

This was a Martha Stewart recipe and that is what she called it. There are pot pies with just a top crust and some with a biscuit crust as this one is. It has been a long time since I made a pot pie with a James Beard recipe, but it involved left over hamburger from a Jaques Pepin recipe for consommé with a James Beard recipe for using leftovers in a pot pie topped with biscuits.

UNCLE JIMMY

Warmer weather moving in, and humidity with it. Guess what's cooking on the stove? Chicken Soup.... Haaaaaaa

Tina went to the Dr today, AM, Got an infection drug and topical cream. Hopefully it gives her some relief....
It was a lucky day; because there was an opening, due to a cancellation this am.
It was 45 min north of here at the Dr's other office. Thank God!
Have to see what noodles or pasta to have in the soup.

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
NormM wrote:I got a new cookbook about Korean BBQ and tried a recipe from it.

Well, smack my chops. That surely looks so good Norm.

I'll second that again, Norm. Kimchi looks good, too!

Crybaby

I saw this recipe in a magazine and it looked good; they say it only takes 40 minutes of time to make.  I was surprised to see converted rice used as I've never made that but I know a man who makes the best jambalaya I ever had in my life and he confessed he uses converted rice, too. So what do I know? You could easily make this your own by adding some browned sausage slices, too. I know I'd definitely add onions to it and some shrimp added to it would be good, too. What appealed to me is that it's a "paella type" dish with no seafood so Brian would eat if it I ever get around to making it.

Pork and Chicken Paella with Brussels Sprouts
Makes 8 2-1/4 cup servings. / Recipe by Better Homes & Gardens.
Converted, or parboiled, rice is soaked, steamed, and dried in the husk so its starches stay firmer and less sticky. Seek out this rice for paella.

6 Tablespoons olive oil
1 lb. pork loin (center cut), cut into 1-inch pieces
1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 large red, green, or yellow sweet pepper, cut in 1-inch pieces
3 Tablespoons minced fresh garlic
1 Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 Tablespoon sweet paprika
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 8-oz. can tomato sauce
4-1/4 cups water
2-1/2 cups converted rice
1/2 teaspoon salt
Roasted Brussels Sprouts (recipe below)

1. In a 15-inch paella pan,* heat olive oil over medium. Add pork and chicken. Cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a bowl; set aside. Add sweet pepper to pan; cook and stir 2 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, thyme, bay leaf, paprika, and 1 teaspoon black pepper; cook and stir 1 minute. Add wine; cook 30 seconds. Add tomato sauce and 1/4 cup water; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in rice.
2. Add pork, chicken, remaining 4 cups water, the chicken broth, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to boiling. Cook, uncovered, over high 18 minutes or until most of the liquid is evaporated. Add Brussels sprouts. Reduce heat to medium; cook 2 minutes more. Turn off heat. Cover; let stand 5 minutes. Discard bay leaf. To make a crust, a/k/a socarrat, reheat on high, without stirring, 1 to 2 minutes or until edges look dry.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place 1 lb. halved Brussels sprouts in a shallow baking pan. Add 2 Tbsp. olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper; toss to coat. Roast 20 minutes or until tender and brown, stirring once.

*A paella pan is wide and flat to ensure the rice cooks evenly. If you don't have one, use a heavy 12- to 14-inch skillet that's 2 to 2-1/2 inches deep.

Crybaby

We're having an old favorite of Brian's tonight. Eggplant smothered with ground beef, something my mom made when I was growing up. I remember the first time I made it I thought Brian wouldn't eat it due to the eggplant but he loved it then and loves it now. We serve it over rice and it's also "policy" around here to splash some Tabasco or Louisiana Hot Sauce over it. Fresh fruit salad alongside it 'cause I'm too lazy to make something else and I have to use up the fruit salad!

UNCLE JIMMY

The chicken soup was good. I used two bone in, and skin on thighs.
I wound up picking out and dissecting the skin and bones out of the soup.
Tina likes skin on, and I don't.....
It survived.

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tuesday.... another Dr. Day for Tina. The vertigo is from some kind of crystals in the left ear canal. She has to go for therapy???? Never heard of it.  Have to google this.Supper tonight, will be spaghetti with meat sauce. Salad greens and Italian bread. Son jimmy and wife are coming over after work.
DD made 2 pumpkin pies, and a batch of vanilla cupcakes.

I have crystals in my ear. When they shift, they make you dizzy. Therapy involves repositioning your head in various ways to shift those crystals back where they cause no trouble. When I have had them I got up from sleep, promptly fell flat on my face and threw up. Horrible! Tina has my sympathies.

Been working on chair cushions. I have 14 to sew. My old cushions won't work in this house. I have 4 made and 10 to go. Next summer is going to be more fun. I have to make all new patio chair cushions.

I made French onion soup for dinner. 18 hours in a crock pot.

Crybaby

Here's another recipe I saw in October's BH&G that looked good. If I show this picture to Brian, I know he'll suggest right away that he go buy a couple of loaves of cinnamon-raisin bread!

Cinnamon-Raisin Bread Pudding
Makes 12 servings. / Recipe by Better Homes & Gardens.

Butter [for greasing pan]
24 slices cinnamon-raisin bread (two 12- to 16-oz. packages)
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened [I’d suggest 1/2 cup]
17-oz. jar Seville orange marmalade or orange marmalade
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups heavy cream
14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk
2 eggs
Small blood oranges, halved mandarin oranges, and rosemary springs, optional

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter two 8-inch round cake pans. Line with parchment paper. Butter paper.
2. Spread 12 bread slices with [generous] 1 teaspoon softened butter each; spread remaining 12 with 2 teaspoon marmalade each. Sandwich slices with butter and marmalade facing. Trim crusts. Cut each sandwich into quarters diagonally; arrange in prepared pans, stacking and overlapping as necessary to fit snugly. In a small bowl stir together raisins, brown sugar, and cinnamon; sprinkle over top.
3. In a large bowl whisk together cream, condensed milk, and eggs. Pour over bread. Press bread down to absorb cream mixture. Bake 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool 20 minutes in pans on a wire rack.
4. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan warm remaining marmalade over low heat.
5. Loosen sides of bread from pans. Invert one pan onto a platter; shake gently to loosen bottom. Remove parchment. Spread with half the warm marmalade. Invert second pan onto a baking sheet or wire rack, then invert again onto a rimless baking sheet so top faces up; gently slide onto first layer. Top with remaining marmalade. Serve within 2 hours.
6. If desired, top with slices of blood orange, mandarin orange, and fresh rosemary sprigs.

Bugster2

Beautiful but not my cup of tea. I don't like raisins or marmalade. I made bread pudding once but couldn't eat it. I think maybe I used the wrong kind of bread because it was slimey feeling in my mouth. Tasted great though.

I don't know what is for dinner yet.

I am looking for frozen hash brown patties. I have never bought them before. Does anyone have a brand suggestion?

I am having the worst craving for Oscar Mayer braunschweiger. It isn't sold around here. I used to be able to get it at Smart & Final in Lake Forest. Katie is driving there tomorrow. I am going to ask her to stop and see if they still have it. I would also like for her to stop at Honey Baked Hams which is a block away from S & F. Maybe I am asking too much of her. It would sure be nice if she could.

Crybaby

I've got a question about blind baking pie crusts. I was just reading an online piece (I think it was by Taste of Home, a magazine I don't really like) about blind baking pie crusts. They covered the pie crust with weights or beans and then put it into the oven to bake. They said to remove the crust from the oven when the edges are very light brown, remove the weights and then, depending on what type of pie you're making, dock the crust and put it back into the oven, for either a shorter bake to finish the crust or just a little more if you're not fully baking the crust. They said you might not want to dock it if you thought your pie filling, whatever that may be, might leak out through the docking holes.

I always dock my pie crust before I put beans in it to blind bake it. Do you guys dock it after a period in the oven or do you dock it before putting your weights in? Just curious as whenever I've blind baked a pie crust -- admittedly, I don't have a tremendous amount of baking experience -- I not only docked it prior to baking but I only put it in the oven once, not twice. Since I don't bake often, I've just followed the recipe for how long to bake it or the recipe's notes about baking it until it looks a certain way.
If I'm putting together a pie when not following a recipe using a frozen pie crust, I usually pull out a cookbook and look up a pie recipe I know you'd blind bake the crust for, to ensure I do it at the right temp and for the right amount of time or color. Sometimes I think the frozen pie crust must have that info on the wrapper. Knowing me and my lack of baking experience, I know I wouldn't wing it. But I don't remember ever docking a pie crust after putting it in the oven for ANY period of time.

Just curious what you bake all the time people do since I'd never read to do that before. clown

NormM

Funny you should mention Oscar Mayer braunschweiger. I had some for a late night snack last night. I like braunschweiger and am not too particular what brand I get and I only get it once or twice a year but that is what I got the other day.

UNCLE JIMMY

Love Oscar Mayer products. Bacon too.

We like Jones' braunschweiger in the plastic log.

We had Susans Meatballs, asparagus, and macaroni salad. Tina baked a vanilla white cake, and it's cooling now!

bethk

Admin
We drove to Andrea's Wednesday night. We just wanted to get out of Dodge and be done with dealing with anything about the house. It feels good to know none of the maintenance is our responsibility any more.

Andrea made Greek Lemon Chicken and Potatoes for supper last night, a recipe she had found on allrecipes.com. Chicken thighs and tiny baby potatoes baked on a sheet pan with a marinade of lemon juice, olive oil, dried oregano, rosemary, s&p and some chicken broth. We made zucchini spaghetti to go with it, as well as a giant roasted red beet my brother gave us from his garden. Everyone loved the meal and there were no leftovers except for a small container of beets...because the beet was the size of a whole chicken....HUGE!

I think Dane is going to head home early tomorrow morning, one more day of decompression here. I'll fly out on Wednesday as I'd planned. He's enjoying a couple days of just sitting around with nothing to do but let his daughter wait on him hand & foot. LOL

bethk

Admin
Michelle, re: blind bake. I only dock if I'm baking a crust for something like a cream pie that isn't baked after it's put together. I dock the crust when the dough is raw to keep it from bubbling up. I've never docked after it was baked.

UNCLE JIMMY

I blind baked a crust a few times, years ago for making coconut custard pie. I couldn't see using those silly beans for a weight.
I docked the crust in the pan, then used a ramekin, wrapped with foil on the bottom on the bottom for a weight.
Worked perfectly.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum