Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.


You are not connected. Please login or register

AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 9]

76 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:34 pm

Crybaby

avatar
Imelda HL wrote:I'm planning to cook some egg rolls tomorrow, I cooked the filling today, tomorrow I'm going to roll them and fry them, we are planning to have home cooked Chinese foods at my parent in-laws house on Sunday, egg rolls, potstickers and fried noodles, I'll take the pictures later

Sounds divine, Imelda, and I can't wait to see the pictures!


I sure hope there were no problems for your friends or family due to the earthquakes in Indonesia. You've been on my mind a lot lately when I watch the news!

77 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:01 pm

Crybaby

avatar
NormM wrote:There used to be a good Hungarian goulash recipe in the Betty Crocker cook book but this one had cheeses and Adobo so I don't think it was Hungarian.  They just called it goulash.

No matter what everyone calls it, it sure looked good. Made me nostalgic as I haven't had that in ages -- never once made it in the 39 years I've been with Brian...

The place we get Chinese food for years closed. The lady who has owned it for years and years said the lease was coming up for renewal and her main cook had hurt himself and would be out a while. She was elderly, too.

I figured we'd start going to a really good Vietnamese place that also sells Chinese -- we both like most Vietnamese food though, of course, Brian is harder to please than I am. But for some strange reason, Nine Roses is closed on Wednesday so I searched for highly rated Chinese places online and found one a couple miles away. Was headed there last Wednesday to surprise Brian with Chinese when I saw the bridge was up in Belle Chasse, where I was leaving. Hurried and changed lanes so I could go the regular way home I go and then divert to the highway via an entrance. When I got on that entrance and went to merge, no traffic was in slight and I noticed the police were about 300 feet back blocking traffic from heading our way. I quickly saw why. Some idiot truck had dumped a lot of dirt with rocks in it on the highway and it looked like a dust storm ahead when people were crossing the lanes from the entrance we all took. I decided to play it safe and stay in the right lane along with the others who did so, only going about 35 mph.

All of a sudden, WHAM! A rock hit the windshield and put one of those round starbursts right near the wipers -- within 2 minutes it had "run" about 2 inches. By the time I got out of the Red Palace (loved the place; owner was in a wheelchair and sat near me as I had a glass of wine at the bar while I ordered and waited for it to be cooked to order), the run was all the way to the top of the windshield. Fats, the Chinese owner who told me to call him that, told me there was a Star Glass across the highway from him. So I pulled in there when I left to get an estimate. $420 plus they'd have to order the glass. Thursday I called Safelight and they said $249.99 plus tax. You know how they advertise they'll come to you 24/7, well, they'd be able to get to me next Tuesday for an extra $40 for the trouble. So I drove there, and it ended up being $283. with molding ($9.00 -- why that wasn't in the estimate I don't know) and disposal fee ($10.). Took 2 freaking hours. I sat there in the waiting room going nuts as I'd forgotten to bring a book. I talked to the others waiting there and I know I must've driven them crazy, too, as I can talk to a wall if necessary! The glass place did a beautiful job, though, and gave me a can of spray glass cleaner when I left as they said they knew how ticked off I was that it had gotten broken. Wish I knew the company whose truck dumped all that stuff all over the highway (it's the law you have to have your load tarped on top so I guess they hadn't covered the load), as I'd make them pay for it.

I had just read online (nextdoor.com) a week prior to take a photo of your brake tag from both sides as he'd just gotten a new brake tag two weeks before and had to get another one ($25 in Orleans Parish, $10 in the neighboring parish, of course) after just paying $50 for a two-year tag, something new they offered this year. But Safelite successfully removed ours, which was about 3 months old, and placed it on the new windshield, so that was a pleasant surprise!  

In the old says, your car insurance company would waive the deductible for a broken windshield and would pay the whole amount, but I knew those days were over and my agent's office confirmed it. Was so glad I shopped around and didn't pay the $420. When I came out to take the car Thursday morning, the thing had run even more -- ran around the bottom up one side of the windshield and was heading along the top to the middle. Another day and that puppy would've been a complete circle if it kept it up!  

The good news was the Chinese food was delicious -- big portions, too, which scared me as you often get big portions when the food is no good. But it was really good and we both enjoyed it. The Chinese owner, Fats, told me they'd been there for over 40 years -- little tiny place I'd never even noticed as it's a junky highway with businesses all set back at different depths so it's really hard to find places when you're paying attention to the road. We talked about a lot of things while I was there and I enjoyed talking to him, and he seemed to enjoy our visit, too. Brian and I will definitely keep doing business with them and hope to go have a meal there soon. From what I could see, the restaurant had about 8 or so tables. A small place but with really good food. He was very personable when I came in as he obviously knew I'd never been there before. I really like friendly people as I'm pretty friendly, too. Plus I went in there hotter than a firecracker over the windshield just getting busted!!   Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad

78 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:17 pm

Crybaby

avatar
bethk wrote:Ah, Bugster....you have WAY more patience than I do. I would have confronted her, shook the bag in front of her face to get her attention and then smashed my fist down on the bag to break all the pretzel  bits and finally I'd have emptied it over her head before I stormed out of the room.

But, hey, that's just me.......

I'd PAY to see that, Beth! Yeah, Debbie, you guys must really love that woman as I don't remember your mentioning a single redeeming feature she has. I'd pull her Lean Cuisine's out of the freezer and tell her to buy a little fridge for her room or she can make her own dinner from now on since she's taking up all the freezer space. She has more nerve than anyone I've ever encountered, that's for sure -- and I'm sure you don't tell us everything either!

I don't know how you guys put up with a roommate. We get sick of overnight company usually after 3 days! Thank goodness no one seems bold enough to suggest staying with us anymore. Just one of Brian's friends from the Cape Cod area but I doubt he'll ever get his act together to come visit (big smile)!!! cheers cheers

79 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:21 pm

Crybaby

avatar
Niagara Visitor wrote:I just got back from a week in Whitehorse (Yukon) just across the border from Alaska.  A friend owns the Takhini Hot springs there and I had been wanting to go for a long time.  Hot spring water was wonderful, friends were wonderful, I ate bison, moose, elk, fish, all kinds of good stuff. Last night (Thursday) I basically prepped dinner, Garry grilled the Elk and Bison shish-ka-bobs as well as the veggie kabobs I made.  Also oven roasted potatoes, turnips and carrots.  I was allowed to work in their fabulous kitchen.............................. I know, other people say "You did what on your vacation???" I'm happy if I can cook for my hosts sometimes.  FUN!

I always offer to make dinner a night or two when we visit someone, too, Lore. I think it's fun and we both like to cook. It's fun making food for people who enjoy it, and we always enjoy the compliments, too.

Glad you had a good time. Never had bison, moose or elk -- though there was a restaurant in N.O. that served all those different types of meats. It was called T. Pittari's; they were around my whole life until about 20 years ago. I'd be game to try all of those, though (pun intended)...

80 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:24 pm

Crybaby

avatar
Glad all went well with the realtor, Beth! I'm not surprised she didn't suggest anything needed to be done once you and Dane got finished with it! Good luck re the inspection, too.

Keep us posted when the offers start, too. I'll say a prayer that you get so many that a bidding war begins!

Glad you guys are heading home soon. It's always so wonderful to get back home and sleep in your own bed!

81 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:26 pm

Crybaby

avatar
Jimmy, the pic of Liam and your DIL was adorable. How old is Liam now anyway? Is your granddaughter in her own apartment now, or are she and LIam living with her father? I think that's where you said she went when they left your house.

82 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:33 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Crybaby wrote:Jimmy, the pic of Liam and your DIL was adorable. How old is Liam now anyway?  Is your granddaughter in her own apartment now, or are she and LIam living with her father?  I think that's where you said she went when they left your house.

Thanks Michelle.
He is getting more teeth, and thank God, they are straight! Smile
He is losing the infant look ( I call it the Fetal Features )

He will be 2 on Halloween day!
He and the Granddaughter live with my son and wife. We pick him up on tuesday at 3 from the pre school by us. He is really doing well at the pre school. We were against it, but we were wrong. He really is learning.
His Mommy drops him off at 9, and she is 1 minute from the home depot where she works full time.

His father, Never gets him. ( No $upport =  no visitation )

Son Jims wifes mother lives in her Mother Apartment with them, and she has no problem watching him. She just adores him.
Amazingly, he is such a good boy. He listens, and is quiet.

God love him. He's precious!
Here is another one with Grandma Gee Gee ( Sherrie ).


83 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:17 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Supper tonight was Cod Fillet, and I cooked it with sun dried tomatoes, and thinly sliced fresh tomato; wine and butter sauce.
Corn, and uncle Ben's vegetable rice, microwaved for 90 seconds.
It was great!




84 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Crybaby wrote:Glad all went well with the realtor, Beth!  I'm not surprised she didn't suggest anything needed to be done once you and Dane got finished with it!  Good luck re the inspection, too.  

Keep us posted when the offers start, too. I'll say a prayer that you get so many that a bidding war begins!  

Glad you guys are heading home soon. It's always so wonderful to get back home and sleep in your own bed!

They could have always gone home. All they had to do is click their heels together 3 times and say: "There's no place like home"...... Suspect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooM-RGUTe2E

85 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:43 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
Oh, man,Michelle.....I feel for you with the windshield crack. Doesn't it sound like a bomb going off when it hits? Scares the crap out of me.

But, on the bright side, you weren't injured and now the windshield is all shiny and new!

Dane left at 4:30 this morning. Last time I checked he was in Georgia....should be home around 8 tonight. He's so tired, it worries me, but he felt he had to do 4 years worth of maintenance on the house so we could sell with a good conscience. The realtor pics came out good, we'll see what happens when it's listed on Monday.

86 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:28 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Hot Dogs for supper tonight. Greek style chili for chili dogs....

Potatoes for Tinamommy .... ? Foil pouch w onions ? .... instant ? it's up to her.
If it were me.... McDonalds is right here on Mountain Ave. They make good fries.

87 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:14 pm

Imelda HL

avatar
Crybaby wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:I'm planning to cook some egg rolls tomorrow, I cooked the filling today, tomorrow I'm going to roll them and fry them, we are planning to have home cooked Chinese foods at my parent in-laws house on Sunday, egg rolls, potstickers and fried noodles, I'll take the pictures later

Sounds divine, Imelda, and I can't wait to see the pictures!


I sure hope there were no problems for your friends or family due to the earthquakes in Indonesia. You've been on my mind a lot lately when I watch the news!

Thank you for asking Michelle, our family and friends are safe from  the earthquakes last week, it happened to another island, it has bad impact, for now most Indonesian people try to help with all kind of donations. We pray it wont happen again, but who knows what will happen deep underneath the sea  Sad

Here is on our Chinese food menu today.. from clockwise: Egg rolls. Fried Vermicelli with chicken, green beans, carrots, shallots and garlic with fried garlic oil, soy sauce for the sauce. Gyoza/Potstickers with ground pork and shrimps, grated ginger and garlic, napa cabbage and chives, and the last picture was Shrimp rolls, minced shrimp and pork meat, tapioca flour, green onion, rolled in tofu skin, steamed, then cut and deep fry, oh they are so good


88 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:28 pm

Imelda HL

avatar
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Crybaby wrote:Jimmy, the pic of Liam and your DIL was adorable. How old is Liam now anyway?  Is your granddaughter in her own apartment now, or are she and LIam living with her father?  I think that's where you said she went when they left your house.

Thanks Michelle.
He is getting more teeth, and thank God, they are straight! Smile
He is losing the infant look ( I call it the Fetal Features )

He will be 2 on Halloween day!
He and the Granddaughter live with my son and wife. We pick him up on tuesday at 3 from the pre school by us. He is really doing well at the pre school. We were against it, but we were wrong. He really is learning.
His Mommy drops him off at 9, and she is 1 minute from the home depot where she works full time.

His father, Never gets him. ( No $upport =  no visitation )

Son Jims wifes mother lives in her Mother Apartment with them, and she has no problem watching him. She just adores him.
Amazingly, he is such a good boy. He listens, and is quiet.

God love him. He's precious!
Here is another one with Grandma Gee Gee ( Sherrie ).



Liam is so cute and adorable.. I have a great grandson about his age too, he is also so adorable, he has to go to the daycare since he was 1 year old because both his parents are working full time, some times it's sad to see how he ran fast to his parents when they went to pick him up at the end of the day

89 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:58 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
Reading about Imelda's feast makes me hungry for Chinese carry out. I'm pooped again tonight.

Today was refrigerator clean day.....so nasty. I know I'm wondering how MY daughter could turn a blind eye to household maintenance but maybe it was because she was so constantly overwhelmed with all she had to do and deal with. But the chore is finished and now I don't have to worry about strangers opening the refrigerator or pantry and then walk out the door shaking their head. The inside of the oven is a different matter. The racks are shiny but no one ever explained to my daughter that you should NOT put aluminum foil on the bottom of a gas oven to catch spills. The heat melts the foil and welds it to the oven. Too bad.....I can ignore it, so should a new owner.

90 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:11 pm

Bugster2

avatar
I cooked cod for the first time yesterday. The recipe had a lemon butter sauce. It was very good. It didn't have a fishy taste that I hate. We thought we would eat dinner outside for the first time. BIG MISTAKE! I have never, ever seen so many flies! They were all over us and our food. They drove me inside. We never had this problem at the old house. Anyone have any ideas to keep them away so we can eat outside? Other than an enclosure, I have no idea what can be done.
Yesterday morning I walked outside in the back and hovering by the house were 4 hot air balloons. One was red with a huge pirate skull and crossbones. There is a private airport about 1 1/2 miles away and guess they launch from there. Very pretty.
Tonight is going to be a cold Asian chicken salad for dinner. That should be nice.

91 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:02 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Bugster2 wrote:I cooked cod for the first time yesterday. The recipe had a lemon butter sauce. It was very good. It didn't have a fishy taste that I hate. We thought we would eat dinner outside for the first time. BIG MISTAKE! I have never, ever seen so many flies! They were all over us and our food. They drove me inside. We never had this problem at the old house. Anyone have any ideas to keep them away so we can eat outside? Other than an enclosure, I have no idea what can be done.
Yesterday morning I walked outside in the back and hovering by the house were 4 hot air balloons. One was red with a huge pirate skull and crossbones. There is a private airport about 1 1/2 miles away and guess they launch from there. Very pretty.
Tonight is going to be a cold Asian chicken salad for dinner. That should be nice.

My mom hated flies bothering us when we ate outside. What she used to do, was fix a plate just for them. Food scraps, sugar, and a tsp. of stinky mackerel cat food.
She set it out away from us. She would turn on a box fan ( $19.00 in K-Mart ) so it blew gently on us and the table of food. Flies HATE wind!

92 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:59 pm

Bugster2

avatar
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:I cooked cod for the first time yesterday. The recipe had a lemon butter sauce. It was very good. It didn't have a fishy taste that I hate. We thought we would eat dinner outside for the first time. BIG MISTAKE! I have never, ever seen so many flies! They were all over us and our food. They drove me inside. We never had this problem at the old house. Anyone have any ideas to keep them away so we can eat outside? Other than an enclosure, I have no idea what can be done.
Yesterday morning I walked outside in the back and hovering by the house were 4 hot air balloons. One was red with a huge pirate skull and crossbones. There is a private airport about 1 1/2 miles away and guess they launch from there. Very pretty.
Tonight is going to be a cold Asian chicken salad for dinner. That should be nice.

My mom hated flies bothering us when we ate outside.  What she used to do, was fix a plate just for them. Food scraps, sugar, and a tsp. of stinky mackerel cat food.
She set it out away from us. She would turn on a box fan ( $19.00 in K-Mart ) so it blew gently on us and the table of food. Flies HATE wind!

We had quite a breeze and it didn't bother the flies. I looked on Google and people swear that placing glasses half filled with water and a few pennies placed around you keeps them away. I will give it a try. Another swears that balling up brown lunch bags and hanging them around where you are eating keeps the flies away. IDK. They say the flies think they are hornets nests.

93 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:41 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Supper.....  




94 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:57 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
I went to a Chinese carry out place and got vegetable teriyaki on steamed rice. It was just right for me tonight.

Dane made it home about 7:30 this evening. He sounds beat. But at least he got there without any problems. We have an app on our phones called Life360 that allows me to see where he is. He always 'forgets' to call me to let me know where he is and how the trip is going so now I can follow his progress without bothering him.

The house goes on line in the morning. I think the link is: 26640limecityrd.ihousenet.com

Don't know for sure everyone can view it now but it worked for me.

95 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:12 am

Niagara Visitor


Fresh Lake Erie Pickerel/Walleye for tonight.  Son went out fishing yesterday, caught his limit of 6, his buddy the same.  Yumm!

96 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:45 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Not a clue what to have for supper.?  ?  ?

I hinted Burgers.....but all I got was Ehhh, Uhhh, and shoulder shrugges.

97 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:29 pm

NormM

avatar
Charlie had friends over on Sat. and I smoked a brisket and some brats, grilled some hamburgers, made potato salad, deviled eggs, fruit salad, bbq beans and baked some bread. The beans are not out in the picture yet, and the burgers and brats are keeping warm in the toaster oven


http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

98 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:12 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
NormM wrote:Charlie had friends over on Sat. and I smoked a brisket and some brats, grilled some hamburgers, made potato salad, deviled eggs, fruit salad, bbq beans and baked some bread.  The beans are not out in the picture yet, and the burgers and brats are keeping warm in the toaster oven



I'm sure Charlie's friends enjoyed all that food you cooked.All
from scratch too.
BTW ..... Tina mentioned to me the other day, that in the grocery store, in the dairy section, they actually have hard boiled eggs peeled and packaged. Tina said they are tough. Can you imagine?

99 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:15 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Supper was 2 hot dogs for me .... TINA bought ground beef, but I was too lazy to form patties, and it was raining outside..... all day!

100 Re: AUGUST 2018; Whats for dinner? on Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:49 pm

NormM

avatar
Yeah, I have tried some store bought boiled eggs and deviled eggs. Neither are very good.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum